Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I thought it was goofy as all hell for the first minute or so, but I've warmed up to it after a couple re-watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
It's such a tedious, smooth-edged celebrity love-in. Like the album. Goshdarnit!! Will I never come to terms with the disappointment?!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Popcorn posted:

Um... uh... I guess I'd be the lone spoilsport to say I found the Get Lucky performance completely boring?

I was more disappointed by how clumsy, unrehearsed and disjointed it felt. Like nothing went smoothly at all and the whole medley seemed like a rough draft rather than a polished piece.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I dunno I thought it was good for what it was, a Grammys performance. If you guys were expecting to have your minds blown out by awesomeness and DP wearing stormtrooper helmets welp the joke's on you.

e: although it was kind of funny that they were clearly miming pushing buttons during the whole performance.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I was more disappointed by how clumsy, unrehearsed and disjointed it felt. Like nothing went smoothly at all and the whole medley seemed like a rough draft rather than a polished piece.

I enjoyed that it felt and sounded like guys actually playing live music and having a blast, rather than a choreographed dance routine with lip-syncing. Sonically not the pitch perfect thing I'd expect from a studio recording, but well above the usually less organic stage show performances we usually get.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Spoilers Below posted:

I enjoyed that it felt and sounded like guys actually playing live music and having a blast, rather than a choreographed dance routine with lip-syncing. Sonically not the pitch perfect thing I'd expect from a studio recording, but well above the usually less organic stage show performances we usually get.

Look I like live performances more than anything. I'm almost always a proponent of a live version to a studio version. But that wasn't a good live version. It was a very rushed hatchet job that seemed the product of almost zero rehearsal. I mean you have Stevie Wonder on there for pete's sake, but he seemed like he didn't know what the gently caress was happening for a lot of the performance.

And thinking that wasn't a good performance doesn't mean one would prefer lip synching or choreographed performances or other schlock. Just that when they KNEW it was going to be a huge and hyped performance for a multi-nominated song/record/band... you think there would have been a little more effort put into insuring it was a little more graceful and polished.

It wasn't a travesty or anything. Just didn't have the punch I'd expect from a Daft Punk live performance.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My only problem with it was Stevie Wonder's voice was pretty much all over the place. And the things DP added themselves weren't super substantial which kinda disappointed me.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
"Daft Punk didn't tailor their tour/performance to my specific taste. Why are they so bad now" :qq:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

it wasn't the taste of the performance it was the execution.

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

Photex posted:

it wasn't the taste of the performance it was the execution.

Because Stevie Wonder forgot some lyrics to get lucky and sang out of tune, that means daft punk, pharrell, Nile Rodgers, and all of the other musicians did a bad job?

I wonder how long Stevie actually rehearsed for that performance.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Man Cub posted:

Because Stevie Wonder forgot some lyrics to get lucky and sang out of tune, that means daft punk, pharrell, Nile Rodgers, and all of the other musicians did a bad job?

are you saying daft punk actually did something in that performance?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Photex posted:

are you saying daft punk actually did something in that performance?
I read a behind-the-scenes article about the making of their performance, and apparently that mixing console they were using actually worked and they were actually controlling elements of the music with it, but who the hell knows.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I read a behind-the-scenes article about the making of their performance, and apparently that mixing console they were using actually worked and they were actually controlling elements of the music with it, but who the hell knows.

I saw photos of the actual rig and it was basically just a bunch of patch bays to nowhere.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You mean those photos of it in the workshop before it was even moved to the theater and therefore didn't have anything hooked up to it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Man Cub posted:

Why on earth can't there be any middle ground? Stevie forgot lyrics, Pharrell and Nile were good, DP mimed everything, the entire mix was a little off, the medley seemed rush with no smooth transitions, I didn't really notice anybody else which doesn't really speak for or against them.

It's almost as if there are more ways to view it other than "Daft Punk is the best in the world" and "You just didn't get it! Would you prefer Miley Cyrus?!?!?!"

It really, honestly, was just an ill executed performance compared to the standards they have previously set for themselves. It's no big deal, it's not like any of them are now tainted because of it. Just that it felt rushed and unprepared.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
It was a fine performance, I enjoyed it and I'm tired as hell of get lucky. Stevie's vocals were endearing.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Stevie's lost a few steps in the last few years. I saw him at Global Festival last year and the wear was finally starting to show. You can tell he's struggling at the beginning of his "Another Star" segue.

At the same time it was goddamn Stevie Wonder and goddamn Daft Punk with Pharrell and goddamn Nile Rodgers so even if you can't consider it a "good" performance please at least realize how rad it was for that to be a thing in the first place

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

CRINDY posted:

it was goddamn Stevie Wonder and goddamn Daft Punk with Pharrell and goddamn Nile Rodgers

Dad music.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Sir Nose posted:

Dad music.

What are you, 12?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

No, actually I'm 49.

EDIT: And a dad who likes Stevie Wonder, Nile Rodgers, and Daft Punk.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605577

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 1, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CRINDY posted:

it was goddamn Stevie Wonder and goddamn Daft Punk with Pharrell and goddamn Nile Rodgers

This is pretty much my sentiment about the live performance. I'd love to see them bring Stevie Wonder in for one of their remixes, honestly. Dude owns so hard.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So why is there this giant thing going on on the net that DP was in the audience the entire time and they used bodydoubles to accept awards? I thought it was pretty clear those two guys they mean are their friends/colleges that have been with them from the start.
Are people dumb, or am I dumb?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zedd posted:

So why is there this giant thing going on on the net that DP was in the audience the entire time and they used bodydoubles to accept awards? I thought it was pretty clear those two guys they mean are their friends/colleges that have been with them from the start.
Are people dumb, or am I dumb?

Daft Punk is weird, it's not really well-known what they actually look like, and I guess people didn't think anyone would honestly turn up to the Grammys in full costume and say absolutely nothing even when accepting their awards. So, conspiracy theories abound.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

threefive posted:

"Daft Punk didn't tailor their tour/performance to my specific taste. Why are they so bad now" :qq:

Um, that's basically what arts criticism is, yes. :confused:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Daft Punk is weird, it's not really well-known what they actually look like, and I guess people didn't think anyone would honestly turn up to the Grammys in full costume and say absolutely nothing even when accepting their awards. So, conspiracy theories abound.
I just seriously doubt they would do the bodydouble thing while sitting in the audience, if they where backstage I might believe it but for people cultivating their image all the time I doubt they'd risk even being on camera and identified.
It's a dumb theory, but I'm glad it isn't just me.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
They have been waiting to walk up on that stage in robot suits for years.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

They have been waiting to walk up on that stage in robot suits for years.

Didn't they already get to for Alive 2007, though?

And... Thinking on it now, I feel like I enjoyed their Grammy performance for the feel of a free-jam session it had (at least in my mind :v:).

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

There were rumours it wasn't really them on stage for the Alive 2007 tour, too. Perhaps it wasn't. That possibility is an inevitable part of doing your entire routine in disguise.

I'd like to know what it really looks like from inside the helmets. I can't imagine it's much fun doing a live set wearing one (which is part of why their "live" shows probably aren't that live in reality).

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I figure Guy can see much better than Thomas.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's not too terribly hard to find out what they look like if you just google search them. None of the people around them looked like the DP guys. So the other guys weren't dp. Conspiracy busted.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, there are photos of them, so it's not like they're completely anonymous, plus plenty of collaborators and industry people have seen them. It's a performance piece, not a lifestyle they're completely devoted to.

It doesn't really mean too much to me if it was Guy and Thomas in the suits on stage: Daft Punk is just as much the robot characters as it is the actual humans who produce the music. Kinda like Gorillaz.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I bet they put the stunt doubles on stage because they had to do their Illuminati-mandated chemtrail run, or whatever these people think. :v:

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

Popcorn posted:

There were rumours it wasn't really them on stage for the Alive 2007 tour, too. Perhaps it wasn't. That possibility is an inevitable part of doing your entire routine in disguise.

I'd like to know what it really looks like from inside the helmets. I can't imagine it's much fun doing a live set wearing one (which is part of why their "live" shows probably aren't that live in reality).

They've posted pictures inside of their set-up - the equipment they used on Alive 2007 is all legit and if you listen to bootlegs of different nights of Alive 2007, you can hear differences. However, due to the nature of the lights/video - the general layout of the show is the same - each song lasts a certain amount of bars/etc. In that context, they can pull from their sample bank to trigger things, use synthesizers they have on stage, control various effects/filters using a Behringer interface, etc.

Thomas gave an interview where he said something to the effect of "Why would I stand in front of 20,000 people for two hours not doing anything? Why would I let anyone else hear the crowd's applause in my place?"

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Zedd posted:

I bet they put the stunt doubles on stage because they had to do their Illuminati-mandated chemtrail run, or whatever these people think. :v:

Don't really get why folks are unable to grasp that some people don't care about the fame whorey poo poo that can go along with being a creative figure in contemporary society but what are ya gonna do?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Perfidus posted:

I figure Guy can see much better than Thomas.

I love this.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
There was some interview where they talk about how wearing the helmets on tour sucks because they can't see poo poo. One of them may even where glasses and he can't where the glasses under the helmet. I'm glad they do it.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

crankdatbatman posted:

e: although it was kind of funny that they were clearly miming pushing buttons during the whole performance.
They were definitely manipulating everything live. The guy who posted the build pictures of the booth said that everything was fully functional and you can see them triggering samples and faders. Besides, I don't see why they'd build something with a million BCR2000's just for decoration, especially when Daft Punk is known for doing more than just hitting sync on a CDJ during their live shows.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Being the first daft punk performance with live musicians and some of those musicians being Nile Rodgers and Stevie Wonder I thought the whole thing was pretty cool. It's everything from the tour I saw in 2007(DP in a booth, mixing songs with lots of lights) evolved to function with the live musician feel of the new album.
I'd love to see them on tour again, but I'm thinking they might just lay low, do some remixing and tour years later. I could also see them building a massive new stage show and taking it to Coachella next year and then around the continent as they did in 2007.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Turns out Daft Punk and Pharrell aren't quite done yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFdgwmAYbJ8

I'm really liking this one.

EDIT: Mere seconds after I post the video, it's taken down. It's from Pharrell's new album G I R L, search "Gust Of Wind" on YouTube and it shouldn't be too hard to find I'm sure.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2blLBa8TzI

Here it is again. I like it!

• Locked thread