Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Philthy posted:

To be honest, I'm surprised so many people like it. It is 100% pure disco. There really isn't even a hint of "modern" electronica to the entire song with the exception of some background computery crossfades towards the end. Not many people liked Abba, Blondie, and the Bee Gees at the end of the disco era. I did, so I loved every second of this. I feel so old.

Um the vocoders and the very DP hi-hat section with the vocoders? I've got no qualms with it being call disco or sounding like Jamiroquai (because Jamiroquai is one of my favs) but I totally buy the idea that this is Daft Punk doing their thing within the realm of actual studio recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Philthy posted:

Vocoders became popular in the disco era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NETuCMeQds8

They arent mutually exclusive though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well Giorgio Moroder marveled at their ears, talked about their extended obsessions with getting sounds right and relayed a story about their engineer saying Guy is going to be one of the only people he knows he would notice the difference between the mic's they were using to record him. And if you're an engineer for Daft Punk you probably run in circles of people with excellent ears.

Who knows if it's all true but it's a couple of successful artists who get to dictate their own albums to the nth degree. I wouldn't be shocked to learned they're actually very obsessive about the production and whatever they did or didn't do to Pharell was calculated and purposeful.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Nick Biped posted:

It seems the U.S. is more open to dance music of Daft Punk's style than back in the late 90s and early 2000s when those other two singles were released.

Definitely. Half of the backing music in modern rap and pop is just house music of differing levels of bombasity now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

icicle bob posted:

New Justice live album in just a few days!

What the gently caress YESSS

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SaltLick posted:

https://www.teefury.com/

Saw that as today's shirt and thought of the thread.

Thanks for posting that, grabbed one.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He's up all night fo sho

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Also interesting seeing as the last Justice album was Prog-rock through and through.

quote:

I don’t remember much about “Motherboard” from the one listen other than it is a prog-funk instrumental and I scrawled “WTF?” in big black pen on the page during it.

Not the sort of anecdote that makes me think you took the review/listen seriously. It's also always a red flag when someone makes the same complaint about every track without much variation. He could be totally right but I haven't seen a lot of people corroborating it and the entire thing is really flippant. "Prog" also seems to set off the automatic hate boner for a lot of music people, and I get the distinct sense of that going on here, especially when he talks about "uncool" sounds and how everyone abandoned them for a reason, as if prog music no longer exists.

Again, just talking about this guys article itself, no one here knows if he's right or wrong.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 9, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I hate to say it since they've got a friend here but I find it a little bit ick that there's someone touring dressed as DP, playing DP songs and getting booked at places like Shobox in Seattle. I thought it was going to be a live band or something doing covers. The saving grace here being that DP themselves don't really tour sooooo I guess it's alright. Is there some other hook to it? Are they at least making their own mash ups and remixes?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Looks like an abandoned shot from Electroma. Especially considering they've changed the clothes costume since then.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The entire thing is on youtube. It's good if you know ahead of time that it's an artsy fartsy experimental film more concerned with cinematography than anything else and it doesn't have any of their music in it. Kicks off with a great Todd Rundgren song though.

The really impressive thing about it is Thomas was the cinematographer on the whole thing and he says he learned everything he knew by looking through back issues of film production magazines. And it looks loving fantastic. Some people have all the talent I guess.

Edit: If you want it looking proper it's on itunes as well. I had the DVD until I lent it to someone, thinking oh well a blu-ray is probably around the corner.......but no. Nothing yet. SIGH.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 10, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Trip report, I have only heard get lucky and the chords chilly gonzales played. Not a review just writing what I'm thinking at the time.

Track 1 - Puts a big ol smile on my face. Solid gold groove.

Track 2 - They still know how to make a good solo. So far I get the feeling that they're making a daft punk album with a studio band and them "singing" with a backup band. One that is godly, obviously.

Track 3 - More smiles, the vo and the track giving way to hot rear end space disco grooves was rad. Makes me recall whichever preview said they were inspired by darkside. Here is where all that money went hahahaha.

Track 4 - Robo ballad hit that never was. Feels like a breather after 3.

Track 5 - Definitely sounds like a strokes and dp collaboration. Could be a darkhorse fav, not sure if it's one of mine. At this point I'm agreeing with a lot of previews that were cautiously optimistic about this album. It's already had a lot of fun moments and it might just be charming for how way out there it is.

Track 6 - Oh my, welcome back to discovery land. WIPE OFF ALL THE SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT! This is hilariously ballsy. This is a hot track. Should've been the leadoff single. Starting to understand what they meant about doing with a studio band what they used to do with samples.

Track 7 - More darkside influence. Paul Williams, gives way to more big band craziness and then plummets down into some robot space crooning. I really like the little soundscapes they throw in here and there. Wild stuff, way outside their comfort zone.

Track 8 - So what's different here? Now that it's in context I like it a bit more. It's not the best song on the album but it is a good primer for what you're in for. Has another breakdown now.

Track 9 - We kept the Tron orchestra late a few days and had them do some riffs. Another Paul Williams song. Slick R&B grooves. The entire album so far sounds like an alternate dimension Discovery. Or something where Daft Punk were charged with having to spend a billion dollars to make a genre hopping space disco funk epic.

Track 10 - Tron orchestra returns. These couple of moments have sounded like Daft Punk wrangling an orchestra and session band into something as tight as a sample. More soundscapes, still really impressed by these

Track 11 - Ween makes a Hall & Oates song, Todd Edwards and Daft Punk re-record it. This loving album owns, there is hardly a down moment. Maybe a song you won't love here and there's always something cool going on.

12 - UNGH YEAH! High gloss beats with DP and Panda Bear popping syllables everywhere. Another style departure that still has the DP touch. That's the story of the album for me. That they were successful at all these different styles, having them still definitely live on one album.

13 - Taking it home, Bombastic rear end shaking drums, almost sounds like Justice's AVD turf with Chemical Brothers' beats. And all of a sudden the Alive 2007 guys bust in, grab the controls and stomp all over your disco album. Almost sounds like a "Just so you know, we can still do this, we just chose not to".

Sounded like a really expensive, really fun, ride with a surprise ending. Hilarious and pretty bold.

In short: Great album, the listening party previews and collaborator series did a good job of preparing me for the craziness and I appreciated it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 13, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

JetGrind posted:

I can't really say anything about Giorgio by Moroder right now, because I'm just sitting here going :stare:

Giorgio for best dance track 20forever

Yep.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This albums runtime is dangerously close to the same runtime as Electroma.

Edit: It has a Discovery vibe now and then but it's definitely something else entirely. I have a feeling the process of actually putting together the album was similiar only they were using a library of "samples" they made themselves in the studio. Both albums has a lot of disco guitar and FEELINGS.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 13, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Now to see how it holds up as the background music of FIFA2012

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Popcorn posted:

This is a tasteless adult contemporary prog-disco disaster of an album with sparkling Disney production values. It sounds like early 90s Genesis.

I second this, but I totally love it hahaha. They're french, there's always gonna be some corn. What are you gonna do?

mynameisjohn posted:

this is a good record, but a terrible dance record.

Yep. There are gonna be a few that make it to the floor but the real feat is that it's an actual good album.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Asnorban posted:

Question for people who dislike it because of "cheese": do you like Discovery? That poo poo is cheese from beginning to end and I don't remember much complaining about it.

For real. I got poo poo all over back then for thinking One More Time was a great track.

Also one 2nd or 3rd listen, they should handcuff themselves to Nile Rodgers and throw away the key. Those three together make magic.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah I had friends who were actually all musically pretty plugged in and they all made fun of me for liking lovely EDM Cher vocoder music. I knew it had something since it was all over the place that summer though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's pretty low key but it's not like there's no places to go if you need to get hard Daft Punk sounds and songs or a DJ who wants to kill you with a buzzsaw. It's a mid tempo album.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Photex posted:

I'm on a cruise and I literally just dropped a poo poo ton of money to grab this to listen to in the Bahamas

Couldn't disagree harder if I had an automatic disagreeing machine turned up to 11 with the knob broken off.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

NESguerilla posted:

They will still get off on slamming it. I'd bet my shoes (swapping out the word eat with bet just in case I'm wrong) it doesn't score better than a 6.

I'm guessing it's because it features the most god awful vocal effect I have ever heard in a song that isn't J pop. I don't even know why they had him guest on the album if they were going to just completely ruin his voice. Also, that guitar(?) solo in the middle sounds like someone taking a dump into a trumpet.

I'm surprised a lot of people accused "Doin' it Right" of being a Panda Bear song snuck onto a DP album when "Instant Crush" exists. That's a Strokes song through and through.

bonzaisushi posted:

I will say my biggest problem with Contact is the fact that its VERY uhhhh, grainy. I wish i could tone that down just a bit.

It's so out of left field. But you've gone everywhere else on the album why not do the biggest ear destroying crescendo ever again

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

^burtle posted:

This is the Jamiroquai album I didn't know I wanted.

Agreeing with this. fragments of time could get dropped anywhere into Rock Dust Light Star and no one would know the difference at all.

Edit: After reading the Rolling Stone review I do credit Instant Crush for being outside of the box for JC. I wonder how robo-tortured the performance really is.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Who ever imagined we'd hear a non-sampled slide guitar on a Daft Punk album? This poo poo is crazy

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
A prophetic quote from the Rolling Stone review of Homework:

quote:

"the duo's essential, career-defining insight is that the problem with disco the first time around was not that it was stupid but that it was not stupid enough."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hahaha I love the gently caress out of Justice but if you're seeking shelter from this album Im not sure Id suggest running to the two guys who just shucked the exact same fanbase to make an awesome campy as gently caress prog rock record

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If there's one thing that's certain about this album it's that the boys need to order up a third dreadlocked robo helmet design and officially induct Nile Rodgers into the band. Everytime he's on a track it's a highlight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Cleretic posted:

I just want to weigh in on the subject of Justice as 'the new Daft Punk' or whatever, since I only heard about them this year, when I made a Daft Punk Pandora station and they were thrown up at me with as much frequency as Deadmau5.

I appreciate them, but in no way are they 'the new Daft Punk', or the any Daft Punk. Maybe I'm getting a biased sampling, because that station really likes throwing Phantom Pt. II and especially D.A.N.C.E. at me, but it seems like a lot of their sound is very 'hard', an almost brutal sound that is not entirely unlike being punched in the face (and I mean that in the best possible way). And that's not what I know Daft Punk for, I know them for the softer material that composed a fair amount of Discovery, most of what I've heard from Homework, and the entirety of Random Access Memories.

If you think Justice is anything like Daft Punk's actual material, we're clearly not listening to the same Justice. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my slightly sleep-addled mind can't think of any evidence otherwise that I'm aware of.

It's not a 1 to 1 comparison but the inspiration is undeniable. It's two french Michael Jackson worshippers on Ed Banger who took off on the promise of "We are your friends", which is an insistently repeated vocal sample propped up by a stellar bassline...which is the same story as Around the World. Then you've got †, with Waters of Nazareth as a Da Funk stand in that received almost as much attention and a bunch of tracks that mix the attitudes of Homework and Discovery as well as anything from Alive 2007.

Their sound isn't the same but the fact that their style was so immediate and influential only makes them look more like heirs to the empire to me. Justice and the rest of the high level EDM acts are probably a big reason we got this album, there's already a healthy community sprouting off of Alive 2007 and grooves with a mean mug on them and that's obviously a young mans game. Plus, as I just mentioned, Justice also released a "Hey guys this forgotten genre is still cool" sophomore album that defiantly refused to follow up on the monster they created at first. More DP analogues.

If people need an album full of French bangers to fix things, I suggest "Total" by SebastiAn. Then his remixes album. He's going to be a giant thing if he ever figures out how to write endings for his songs. The track "Ross Ross Ross" from that album is already a big hit, but it's also the highwater mark for hard rear end glitch EDM as far as I'm concerned.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I can't really fault anyone for not digging this album but I've completely lost any objectivity for it, mostly because of what Discovery and Homework meant for me. I had the same thing happen with The Mars Volta after their first album, where I liked it so much I felt like I just "bought in" to whatever they did for a looooooong time afterwards and it took a couple of true full-album stinkers and admissions of in-band strife to finally break the spell.

Once someone proves to me they have it in them to do something like Discovery I'm just automatically excited and accepting of whatever they feel like doing afterwards as long as it has a hint of the same care and effort. RAM felt like it hit me in the heart and it didn't dissapoint in any other big ways. There are dips (for me "within" - just a touch too morose - and "instant crush" - hello strokes b-side) but the whole thing is a wonderful trip and even better for how unexpected a lot of it is.

Even with "within" as a low point I can't say I didn't see it coming after the Chilly Gonzales cover of "Too Long". Maybe I'll just replace that track with it. It would totally qualify for this album if the original never existed and the instrumentation got the same expensive punch up treatment everything else did.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Muck and Mire posted:

Haha this Pitchfork cover story is pretty crazy. I don't think they do cover stories like this without giving Best New Music (or at least a high score), and we know they heard this album months ago so it's not like it's a surprise to them. I'm still thinking they'll rate it pretty highly.

Pitchfork posted:

Considering their typical full-body attire, it's a bit shocking to see Daft Punk simply lounging in swim trunks.

Bangalter is tall, slim, and bearded in an unbuttoned denim top and straw hat.

:lol:

gently caress the sequin suits I want to see that

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Interesting to hear that the Strokes are DP's favorite modern rock band in that Pete Tong interview. Instant Crush is a lot less of a shock in that context. It's also really interesting to hear that there are orchestral versions of ALL the tracks and most of them went un-used. Judging from the "record a ton of poo poo, use it later" approach I'm betting the remixes or remix album they allude to in that interview is going to leverage a lot of the un-used material.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Todd Edwards especially, I mean...I like the album and all but that guy sounded like he had a genuinely religious experience. And then his song is a sun-soaked romp through a flower field about how much he loved making his song. If this was Jonestown he would've saved like 4 lives by drinking other people's kool aid. He went from a name drop on Teachers to a full fledged soldier :lol:

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

The song I keep going back to is "Touch", surprisingly. It's really grown on me since I heard it for the first time yesterday.

Same here. The pitchfork cover story has them saying that's the centerpiece of the album and I agree with a lot of other reviews calling it a "I'm a real boy!" moment for DP. Paul Williams and his history provide a lot of cover for the FEEELINGS moment here but the choral section is about as soul-baring as anything you're going to get this year and he's not in there. It's a big uncool musical hug. Imagine if this album was out before Alive 2007 and there was a festival sing-a-long moment somewhere in there with a monstrous crowd singing "If love is the answer, you're home". Real robo hippie poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Doin' it Right is so hip it hurts. That song is going to tear up radio waves on all kinds of stations if it gets out there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There are albums where I can't understand why someone wouldn't like it, but that's usually a situation where an artist delivers big on something that was expected of them. Where I can say "Well what the gently caress were you expecting then?" It's perfectly understandable for someone to be expecting something else, especially if they're not obsessively consuming previews and details about it.

This album is reaching hard for a lot of different things, trying things that are way outside of the DP comfort zone, and playing it low-key when the genre they're heavily responsible for is going in the exact opposite direction. It's the biggest experiment they've ever embarked on, and it almost completely abandons the live album/show that got people excited about this in the first place. How could you possibly expect it not to dissapoint a lot of people?

I feel that way about Homework. I recognize what a stretch it was at the time, and there are tracks I just plain don't like, but there are some that succeed in big ways and I can see how the other tracks came along with those moments of greatness. I appreciate it as an experiment that produced some results, if not a completely successful album.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I dunno I've seen some pretty reactionary responses to ARGH CLEAN DRUMS, but overall 95% of what I've seen says the instruments sound fantastic (as they should, considering the pedigree) but the actual songwriting is dissapointing.

I'm guilty of being a blind defender for some albums (MGMT's 2nd album and Audio Video Disco spring to mind), but I just don't even feel the need for this one. I love discussing it but people making GBS threads on it isn't bothering me at the moment. It hit me in the heart. The whole world could give it the Human After All treatment and I wouldn't mind because it gave me genuine smiles and had me awestruck at parts.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

iSheep posted:

Songwriting in the sense of chord progression and theory or lyrically?

Because lyrically Daft Punk has never been strong. Its the cheesiest of the cheese.

More the progression/theory/arrangements. If they were as experimental with the arrangements as they were with the genre hopping I think the album could've been even better. I get the feeling they didn't feel confident enough to try and break the genres as they were visiting them with this hulking process.

I've noticed I pay waaaaaaaaaaaay less attention to lyrics than most people so I generally don't talk about them. I really like Lose yourself to Dance's lyrics though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ManoliIsFat posted:

I ADORE disco. I'm not a head or anything, but I've got a very healthy appreciation of the genre (the real stuff, not The Beegees). So much of this album is bland even compared to the end-of-the-era, mainstream cashin disco stuff. I mean, i don't even know HOW people are calling the vast majority of this album disco, it's soooooo sloooooow and jammy.

There was a pretty big disco revival about 4 years ago, when Larry Levan was on everyone's lips. I was hoping it'd be like this. I just don't think anything on this album would really work at a party.

I think the real touchstones for this album are Darkside, Rumours and Michael Jackson. Game of Love's vocals are obviously aping Stevie Nicks (there are other examples but I'm blanking for specifics), the soundscapes and VO's and a lot of the attempts to grab at simple melodies writ large feel very Pink Floyd (especially on Touch), the extremely shiny treatment of drums and guitars are pure MJ. They seem to have wanted to drop an expensive as gently caress "event" album on people without them expecting it.

Muck and Mire posted:

It will be kind of funny when the kids with laptops who inspired them to use real instruments turn around and make groovy house remixes of this whole album and turn it into the thing everyone actually wanted to hear in the first place

I think in the GQ interview Thomas said they're eagerly awaiting just this. That they wanted to create a new source for high quality analog samples for them and everyone else to use.

The more I listen to the album the more it feels like a big hug, it makes me feel happier just in general. It's like Discovery for the daytime.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 14, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

aBagorn posted:

I also hear a TON of 70s era Bowie in this too

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet if Bowie wasn't doing his own 2013 thing he could've ended up as a collab. They grabbed some of his studio musicians iirc.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If they do tour this album they I'd love to see something like Prince, find a tight as gently caress backing band and tour small-medium venues for insane amounts of money, do an anti-ALIVE with a bunch of live instrument versions of old songs with live talkbox and them hitting the buttons where you HAVE to have electronics.

Also I want a real live DVD of it because I would never be able to afford to see it.

I've noticed in my brain, on tracks like lose yourself to dance, the album digs up the time I saw George Clinton and Parliament at the Shobox in Seattle, where the players were all impossibly tight while simultaneously working the room like I've never seen before.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
A star studded one-off stage production of this album kind of like that Gorillaz DVD for Demon Days would be awesome as well.

• Locked thread