Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Foiltha posted:

It might also be a play on Giorgio by Giorgio.

I thought it was a play on Giorgio Armani's cologne "Giorgio by Armani".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah that version has the instruments mixed way down and a weird lack of bass sound. It could partially be my crappy apple earbuds but the bass seems almost completely absent for some reason.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The Walking Dad posted:

it is a much less interesting song than it could have been.

This is a really weird statement that could be made about almost any song ever. I guess it means you don't really like it. I think it's a really cool, groovy piece of disco funk and I wasn't expecting anything other than that. I get chills when the vocoder comes in every time I listen to it, these guys know how to use one better than anyone ever.

E: I have a feeling this will not be the best track on the album by any measure. I do agree its pretty straightforward but I like the poo poo out of it.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 18, 2013

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Anyone have a history of preordering stuff on iTunes? Like, if you preorder and a single is released, can you download it without purchasing the single separately?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Is the one they're selling the radio edit? If so that's pretty lame.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Popcorn posted:

I've come to think Pharrell is the weak link in Get Lucky. It's not necessarily a problem with him or his performance, but the vocal melody is very bland. "Weeeeeee've... come too far..."

Hmm, I actually really like the part you quoted. I think the verses about the Phoenix and stuff is the weak part. Then when he sings over the vocoder it actually sounds really nice. He sings on another track too right? I'll be interested to hear what that's like.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Wow I got a major music nerd boner when he started in on the chord progression talk. That's awesome that it sounds like they're trying to create a cohesive musical throughline in this album. I always like albums that aspire to be more than just a playlist of individual songs.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They're keeping the mystery alive. We've all heard Get Lucky, now we aren't getting poo poo else 'til the album comes out. That way, we'll have 12 tracks that we've never ever heard to blow our minds with.

You're against that?

Not to mention Gonzales gives a few chords of the 3rd and 4th tracks just to spark your imagination of what it's going to sound like. I do have some real bad aural blueballs at this point though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Popcorn posted:

It's astonishing. I've never seen anything like it for an album before, though I'm sure this isn't the worst the world's ever seen.

Someone who went to the listening party posted their thoughts here - http://nialler9.com/first-listen-daft-punk-random-access-memories - and gave it a fairly negative review. Who knows if they're right or not, but the comments from people who haven't heard the album are hilarious:

Interesting to read the first overtly negative review. It does seem like the reviewer had very specific expectations for this album that it did not meet, however. I fully expect the rest of the album to be quite a bit more experimental and less "dance-y" than Get Lucky. However, if he's right and it's just a cheesy retread of old sounds that were left behind for good reason then maybe it won't be very good. I guess we'll just have to wait and hear it. I'm personally not any less excited after reading that review.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Holy gently caress, Daft Punk remixes of Daft Punk.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Can you do iTunes streaming on an iPhone?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Thanks for the grooveshark link. God the live drums sound fantastic.

E: sorry JT, but Game of Love is sexier than anything on your album.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 13, 2013

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I love the overall tone of this album. It's somber but groovy, emotional, and sensual. Some of Discovery had that but the way its used here is totally new ground for them.

E: lol at Pharrell doing his best Prince impression on lose Yourself to Dance. In a good way though.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 13, 2013

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

AvidAcid posted:

this album loving sucks

Counterpoint: nope

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Just curious, what was the general initial response to HAA? Did it start this positive and then cool off? Or was everyone pretty cool to it on first listen?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Slate Action posted:

If I remember correctly, initial impressions were so negative that some people thought Daft Punk had leaked a fake, deliberately lovely album to mess with everyone. It took until Alive 2007 for people to really warm up to Human After All.

Haha, wow. I knew opinion of it was pretty low until Alive 07, but I wasn't sure whether people tried to convince themselves they liked it at first. I guess not.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Do we know who played drums on this?

E: Wikipedia says JR Robinson of Off the Wall fame at least did the first track

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 13, 2013

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

My only real gripe with Touch isn't the cheese factor, it's Paul Williams' voice. I don't really like old guy singing voices.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I have no doubt whatsoever that some stuff from the Tron sessions ended up on Motherboard.

E: man, the Todd Edwards track really disappears up its own rear end when you realize he's singing about the recording session he is currently participating in. It's got a kickin rad vocoder solo though.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 13, 2013

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Game of Love needs more love here though. If anybody loves Something About Us, you should love this song too.

Hell yes, I loved that track instantly. Also I don't get the hate for Instant Crush, that's a really catchy song.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Wario In Real Life posted:

I love when people get personally offended that other people don't share their particular tastes.

I'll make it easy on you. You'll either really love it. You'll like it. You kinda won't like it. Or you'll hate it.

What someone else thinks of it is completely inconsequential here. Trying to defend your particular viewpoint by shoehorning those that oppose your views into a particular mindset or group is kind of stupid.

It's this plus people trying to argue from a place of objectivity. It's never "I liked/disliked it because..." and it's always "this is great/terrible because..." And sometimes even the 'because' is left out entirely.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Why do people get so upset when opinions are expressed without the "remember! this is my opinion!" disclaimer attached beforehand in bold? No one is pretending to be "objective" about anything. Yes, if I say an album sucks, I'm speaking only for myself: whose other opinion could I possibly be talking about?

On my wedding day, when I tell everyone at wedding that my fiancee is the most beautiful girl in the world, are you going to jump up from behind a pew and scream "maybe in your opinion!!"?

For someone who wants people to stop with the ad hominems you sure know how to deal them out. I'm just saying that the contentiousness over Internet opinions tends to stem from trying to prove some anonymous person wrong instead of engaging in any kind of productive and amicable discussion. The first few people who were critical of the album in this thread basically just blurted out an opinion in a way designed to provoke an angry response. It's a problem not at all unique to this thread and I feel like I'm just shouting at windmills here so I'm going to shut up and go enjoy the album now.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Iraff posted:

I think chracterizing every negative reaction as "designed to provoke an angry response" is the bigger problem that happens in basically every thread. Like why is "This album loving kills" with no explanation more acceptable than "This album is garbage" with no follow up

It's not and that was basically my entire point. I specifically pointed out the first few critical posts in this thread. Go back and read the first few critical posts and you'll see what I mean.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ras Het posted:

no it isnt, its poo poo dads say

Not saying you're doing this but your post reminded me...I'm kinda amused at how often people are comparing this album to "adult contemporary" and "mom/dad music" and poo poo like that. It's kind of a weird criticism because it doesn't address the music itself in any meaningful way, it's just an easy way to categorize it as unhip and therefore bad.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

Well its that the music is dated and appeals to pretty bland sensibilities.

It's the part where people sit around and make judgment calls about other people's taste in music like this that rubs me the wrong way. Its just a dumb way to talk about music (or anything at all) and leads to arguing. If you don't like disco and don't want to listen to a disco album, just say that, but nobody's said yet why the music they made is for people who like bad music.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

I ADORE disco. I'm not a head or anything, but I've got a very healthy appreciation of the genre (the real stuff, not The Beegees). This stuff is bland even compared to the end-of-the-era, mainstream cashin disco stuff. I mean, i don't even know HOW people are calling the vast majority of this album disco, it's soooooo sloooooow and jammy.

Well, fine, I'm just urging people to talk about the music itself when they criticize it, not the people who like it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I kind of love how they jarringly drop a house track Bangalter made in 97 at the end of the album and kind of dress it up with live instruments. I will just say that while I adore this album, I do hope they haven't completely abandoned the EDM aesthetic they're so good at.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

het posted:

Dude I very much like disco and the first thing I did after listening to this was to go listen to some to remind me that I actually liked it :P

Actually yeah I will admit that I'm not very familiar with disco. That's not really central to the point I was making though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

Your point was about "don't pass judgement on other people's tastes in music", which seems to translate to "don't hate on music, ever". You said "if you don't like disco, don't listen to this album" and what I and a couple other people in this thread are trying to say is "we DO like disco, we hate this album because it's lame and has all the vibrancy of a lukewarm fart, not because we hate old sounding stuff"

That's really not what it translates to. It translates to "don't be a dickhead when you don't like something others do" and vice versa. I used not liking disco as an example of why someone might not like this album. If I was erroneous in the comparison then fine, but its irrelevant.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Which ones did DP do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Present posted:

Haha yeah. That quote is really dumb. Not a musician, but isn't the concept of harmony at its base about notes that sound pleasing to the ear when played simultaneously? So he's literally giving lovely advice. Guys, don't worry about making music that actually sounds good!

That is the concept of a certain type of harmony, but no, that does not apply to all harmony, and what he is saying is not bad advice for a composer at all.

• Locked thread