Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainYesterday posted:

It's been eight years since Human After All. Since then, so much has changed in electronic music. The DJ has reached its highest point of public visibility since the salad days of big beat in 1997. Thomas and Guy-Manuel have watched and worked on a new sound that they suggest will challenge the current dance music paradigm. Minimal electronic devices. Sparc use of drum machine. Only one track with a sample. Sure, it's a risk, but what would Daft Punk be if they weren't risk-takers?

So it's going to be a disco album. I hope the world doesn't collapse due to such earth shattering concepts.

I am really looking forward to this album but the hype and fanservice Daft Punk gets is just ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Photex posted:

128kbps isn't going to make the track volume be all over the place though.

On the SNL clip the mix sounds really nice so I'm sure it's just not the final version.

the black husserl posted:

I swear to god I said this verbatim about "robot rock" 8 years ago.

Here's a version that goes somewhere for ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha that guy is really excited. Track sounds really good though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heh, I think the hype already killed this song for me for a bit. Bought it on iTunes, listened to it once and was like "yup, I have already heard this song enough for a while"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuclear Spy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV2GA63HEGk
Live performance of Get Lucky (more like Pharrell performing open mic karaoke literally three times in a row), hopefully will be less underwhelming with the full ensemble.

Erm. That was weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, that was a bit underwhelming. Georgio by Moroder is good and I like Get Lucky but I'm already burned out on it. Everything else was a bit dull and the Julian Casablancas track is loving painful.

I'll still get it, maybe it will grow on me but I'm feeling like it's pretty meh overall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bonzaisushi posted:

So after listening to this album about 10 times I've started putting a playlist together of artists similar to Daft. Can you guys recommend me any songs/artists? I know some Justice (Dance, Genesis, civilization)and Kavinsky but I've got nothing beyond that. Im looking for songs that just get you hyped and make you feel fantastic ya know the way Alive 2007 does.

Every EDM album released between 2006-2009.

But seriously, a few that hold up really well for me are the first MSTRKRFT album, Bag Raiders and Danger.

Also, I haven't heard much Breakbot but from judging from what I have heard it's pretty much the new Daft Punk album only better.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 14, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Seconding Bag Raiders, although it's a little more electro pop than disco/funk house. Nonetheless, "Shooting Star" is the best song, and the rest of the album is really loving good too.

Also, their first Ep was loving killer and got no love when it came out. Nil by Mouth is one of my favorite songs and Fun Punch is insanely catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdMmyWeybuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZcmg4-Zm-8

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 14, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Predicted Pitchfork review 5.6.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pathetic gbs homo posted:

No way. P4K has too much riding on it. They've got a cover story on the album coming out tomorrow and they've been posting video links to every little collaborator video leading up to the release. They'll grade it high, but they won't give it Kanye's perfect 10. They'll know that this album is humdrum and won't be able to admit it.

They will still get off on slamming it. I'd bet my shoes (swapping out the word eat with bet just in case I'm wrong) it doesn't score better than a 6.

Geirskogul posted:

I like everything besides Instant Crush. Just don't get into it for some reason.

I'm guessing it's because it features the most god awful vocal effect I have ever heard in a song that isn't J pop. I don't even know why they had him guest on the album if they were going to just completely ruin his voice. Also, that guitar(?) solo in the middle sounds like someone taking a dump into a trumpet.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 14, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

somnambulist posted:

Most reviewers have been fairly positive though? Are we not allowed to like it anymore?

My comment was in regards to how predicable I think pitchfork is and has nothing to do with the quality of the album.

Like whatever you want to like.

het posted:

DADDY NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES

but seriously, I bought shoes recently, so let's just call this a gentleman's bet.

Good call because they are stinky old Vans with holes in them. I am eagerly awaiting the PF review now though, because I have convinced myself I have the power to predict their reviews.

5.6!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 14, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

somnambulist posted:

They're really good at pissing off people, Human After All was a million times worse then this. I played Discovery in college like nobodies business, then human after all came along and EVERYONE thought it was fake, and then when it wasn't, people were like o_________O

alive 2007 changed everything, made people appreciate the album more. (I loved it personally, but Discovery was better)

There's going to be 8539058305830850583058 remixes from the album, so I think it'll grow on people as the material settles in and people remember it for what it is, and not what it isn't.

Sometimes I think I should eliminate myself from DP conversations because I think Human After All was their best studio album and the hits from discovery (other than Harder Better Faster Stronger)just sounded like 90's poo poo that aged really poorly.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is this the buildup to Disco Demolition Night 2013? Everyone's gonna hurt Nile Rodgers feelings and make him compare Disco haters to the Nazis all over again?

• Locked thread