Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

They're viewed highly mostly because of their alive 2007 set. It was a very unique performance that delivered in spades. Most of those that attended were blown away to bits (myself included). The encore especially (i knew the set because i had the coachella version on my ipod but i had no idea they were doing an encore, and i did not expect their suits to glow red, it was absolutely epic) They were always somewhat popular (especially after discovery) but I feel like alive 2007 era made them into dance gods.

After that performance people have been flocking to them and monitoring what they're doing next.

That's my take anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

"It doesn't go anywhere".. haha, you should listen to Homework and Human After All. You'd probably lose interest in Daft Punk really fast, at least this song has verses and a chorus. :-p

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Am I the only one that doesnt think it even sounds like Pharrell in this "leak"? The volume jumps between the verses and the chorus, and the accent sounds different.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I think what makes it obvious it's fake is that the vocals in the verse and the chorus sound like 2 completely different recordings. Compare the sound, accent, etc. It's not the same person. It's very well made though aside from those glaring flaws.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Yeah its not my favorite track- but the higher quality leak sounds better. Needs more bass IMO.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I wanna hear the full song but I played the radio edit in the car really loud and it clicked for me. I'm still a little iffy on the first verse (it doesn't sound like pharrell to me) but I found myself really enjoying it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I still dont think the "leak" we've heard is the final version anyway, it could be a leaked demo. It's not a big deal anyways, but I'm still not convinced we've heard the final thing. But there's been versions going around that have better quality audio so it may be closer to final.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Yeah, im not super impressed with Pharrell's vocals, it sounds karaoke'ish, but the song is still really fun. Can't wait for the inevitable remixes for this song. Heh.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I went out last night, and the DJ played it 3 times (not in a row) . It seemed like a lot of people were singing along already, it was kinda neat to see how popular it is already. Can't wait for the actual album to drop- only a month to go!!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Please stop poo poo posting. This is pointless. It was a small bar by the beach in los angeles with a small dance floor and people loved the song so he played it a few times over the course of hours.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I dont think this is considered :filez:

Someone made a "studio recording" of Alive 2007. It is pretty badass. o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-KfnbpVTCU

Don't listen to the youtube one though, download it using that link. The quality is infinitely better.

edit:

drat, there are some details in the tracks I never picked up before, this is so cool!

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 28, 2013

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/55151/Five_ways_Wee_Waa_is_preparing_for_Daft_Punk

Oh poo poo.

"#2 THE HELMETS ARE COMING
The biggest secret, according our man in Wee Waa, is that Sony will distribute hundreds of Daft Punk helmets around town in the coming weeks with the aim to get locals taking snaps that will be used as part of the streamed launch – that means farmers, truckies and so on at work with Daft Punk headgear on. As Jim reports: “No sign of helmets from Sony yet, but I’m guessing that will happen closer to the date.”

:snoop: drat son!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

quadratic posted:

The lyrics really don't work for this type of cover.

yeah, cool voice, but it doesnt work.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

drat, that video made my hype meter go to 5830485085085409. 3 loving weeks left.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

It's poo poo quality, and most of the instruments are barely audible in this leak. Not really sure what you want it to sound like. I mean you're entitled to opinions, you don't have to like anything from this album just because it's Daft Punk, but come on :-p

(though I honestly think it sounds pretty damned amazing already)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Who the hell are you even responding to?

The fervor to which some people will defend this poo poo is crazy to me.

Uhh, calm down.

It's the Daft Punk thread and this is probably the most exciting news since the SNL snippet came out, I made it clear no one HAS to like anything on this album just because people are jerking the robots off, but lets wait until we can hear the actual song.

He wasn't even being harsh, it's really not a big deal AT ALL, I think you're misinterpreting text on the screen as something bigger then it is.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He literally said "That beat is pretty awesome, kinda repetitive though. The part at the end had me really excited though!"

and then you responded with "Dude it's a lovely quality leak and you can hardly hear anything. Not really sure what you were expecting but whatever. You're entitled to your own opinion I guess."

Your post reeks of being super defensive and I can't even tell why. Absolutely nobody is even ragging on it at all.

Maybe I'm just having a really hard time reading the tone of your post.

You are. :-p My suggestion to wait for the final song to judge the repetitive nature of a beat you cant even hear most of the instruments on isn't a suggestion to stop having opinions because you don't like something DP related. (I don't want to derail the thread, so I'm going to stop here)

edit:

Here's another link since the other one got taken down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCsLK-PV9c

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

JetGrind posted:

Rumour has it that the album is going to be streaming on iTunes at 3 PM EST, so I need to figure out what to do while I wait for an hour and a half to be disappointed by this probably not happening.

I sure hope it does happen though. I can't handle not hearing this album anymore.

At least we're at the stage where it COULD happen. It comes out in a week anyway, so i'm sure it'll happen any day now (hopefully today!)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

itunes will probably have it streaming in the next 24-48 hours. i dont see them NOT doing that, when they've been doing it for every major release lately (notably justin timberlakes 20/20 experience a week early)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Goddamn, what an awesome album. I played it on the way home from work loud in the car with the sunroof open (it was 100 degrees in LA today) and it was just perfect. The game of love is loving sexy as hell, something about us part 2 is exactly what i wanted, giorgio by moroder is awesome, lose yourself to dance owns, get lucky is awesome as always, the second half of motherboard is amazing, fragments of time is great, doing it right is my favorite on the album, and contact left me breathless by the end.

Not a huge fan of within, but love pretty much the rest.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Most reviewers have been fairly positive though? Are we not allowed to like it anymore?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

They're really good at pissing off people, Human After All was a million times worse then this. I played Discovery in college like nobodies business, then human after all came along and EVERYONE thought it was fake, and then when it wasn't, people were like o_________O

alive 2007 changed everything, made people appreciate the album more. (I loved it personally, but Discovery was better)

There's going to be 8539058305830850583058 remixes from the album, so I think it'll grow on people as the material settles in and people remember it for what it is, and not what it isn't.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

het posted:

If you say "If you don't like disco and don't want to listen to a disco album, just say that" and you have no idea what you are talking about, you're kinda the one being the dickhead.

There's people literally saying if you like this album you have bad taste in this thread. I think the point he's making in a roundabout way is that people are entitled to opinions, but it's their opinion, don't make it sound like someone can't have one different from theirs. It's not impossible to actually like this album.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Dadjacket posted:

Wait are you saying "you're never allowed to make fun of people's personal taste"? Is that what you're saying?

My beef (and a lot of people's beef) with the way Daft Punk is talked about so breathlessly on this site is that a lot of people who are WAYYYYYY into Daft Punk and Justice and Danger have absolutely no knowledge of what these groups are aping and "building on" and often don't have a ANY desire to go back and learn more so whenever an album like this one comes out and people declare it the best album in the history of dance music and they have no idea what they're talking about it's hard not to go "whatever this poo poo is for moms" because lots of other discourse about disco and house is gonna fall on deaf ears.

This WHATEVER APPLE JACKS WE EAT WHAT WE LIKE NO HATERS ALLOWED mentality that exists in NMD is so ridiculous and unconstructive.

Yes, you show those Daft Punk fans that like their album who's boss. Continue making fun of people I guess? I have no idea what you're getting at. People like popular things sometimes? It doesn't help you're exaggerating (who declared it the best album in the history of dance music? Good lord)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I can definitely envision holograms being used at their next show. I'd kill to art direct that show, I have so many ideas. The idea of robots performing the sound of the past remixed alive 2007 style makes me get goosebumps.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Maybe I'm just used to my favorite artists making albums I didn't expect, but I still think RAM is a very cool project. I'm also a BT fan, you can imagine the reaction he received when after Emotional Technology he made This Binary Universe (polar opposites), then he made These hopeful Machines, THEN he made If the stars are eternal so are you and I (also polar opposites). I dunno if people listen to BT or not, but I have no doubt in my mind that Daft Punk is going to remix this album, and sample from it to make a heavier sound. They wanted to make music with a lot of elements to sample from, and they created something special. I think it's a very cool experiment, and I'm surprised people think not a single track is the least bit interesting. Touch in itself has so many cool moments.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Pitchfork wouldnt be the first site to give it a glowing review, currently RAM is much higher on metacritic then any of their other albums. Human After All is at 57, and Discovery at 74. RAM is currently at an 89.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Obviously if a lot of people are disappointed they weren't completely successful, but what will probably happen is they'll release something like "RAM expansion" and create tracks with more beep boop and I think it will satisfy some that are disappointed now. Not that the lack of electronic components is necessarily why a lot of people are disappointed, but a higher energy remix (ala Alive 2007) certainly makes a lot of tracks "click" for some people. It happened to me in a huge way, when I saw Alive 2007 in concert, tracks like The Brainwasher made sense to me finally.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I've been asking friends what they think, and everyone seems to really like it. My boss LOVES it, it's crazy how polarizing it is online though. Some people are obsessed, and some people can't find ANY redeemable qualities and think every song sucks. That's a pretty damned big gap. haha.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

They weren't even that popular during discovery. Actually, daft punk wasn't really even THAT famous until people poo poo their pants at coachella in 2007. Of course people knew songs like around the world , da funk, and one more time , but it wasn't really until 2007 where all eyes were on them.

I wasn't around on SA back when human after all came out , but I'd imagine it would have been 93749383 times worse then the reaction to RAM.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

dj bobby bieber posted:

You underestimate greatly how popular Homework was - once they sold out of the vinyl records, it was drat near impossible to get a copy of the album, even on CD. It was huge internationally. Alive 2007 was more of a matter of timing, as Cross was out at the same time (and D.A.N.C.E. was huge), and French Touch was enjoying a nice revival as electronic music was becoming more accessible for pop. On top of that, Busta Rhymes and Kanye sampling them certainly helped Discovery, so it's a little elementary to just say "they weren't that famous."

It really wasn't that popular. It only sold about 600,000 copies in the US, and about 2 million worldwide. On the US Billboard charts, it peaked at 150, it didnt go #1 in ANY country, meanwhile RAM is about to sell a shitload and a half. Homework was a decent success, but hardly monumental.

From wiki:

"Daft Punk wanted the majority of pressings to be in vinyl, so only 50,000 albums were initially printed in CD format. After its release, overwhelming sales of Homework caused distributors to accelerate production to satisfy demand."

While that sounds impressive, the total US sales are still well under a million, and that was in the day and age when people actually bought albums. IT sits at about 2 million worldwide, which isn't a flop by any means, but hardly monumental.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The chorus to instant crush has been stuck in my head for days. Such a good song.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

thathonkey posted:

Thats cool, you like what you like. Im more being critical of the people who cant just admit "yeah, the album is flawed or whatever you want to call it but i still like some of the songs" and instead insist on writing all these convoluted justifications for why it is "great" (which it clearly isnt) or how others are merely missing the point etc etc

Music is entirely subjective, it's dumb to start a post with "hey it's cool you like what you like" and then follow it up with "but lets just admit the album isn't great"

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

That Todd Edwards remix of Instant Crush is so damned awesome. I love instant crush. :3

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

yeah instant crush has been on repeat for days now. The Todd Edwards remix was pretty cool too. Can't wait to see what others do with this material.

My favorite line on the album

"A thousand lonely stars, hiding in the cold. Take it, oh I dont want to sing anymore"

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXv37PFcAQ

Soul train footage + Lose yourself to dance = amazing. Any questions?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

There's already some amazing remixes floating around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5n5DWdNUMU

God. drat.

It's only going to get better too. RAM has some GREAT material to pull from, I cant wait to hear Daft Punks remix for this album.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Yeah i'm already bored of it, but I do like some aspects of it. I'm really interested to see how people turn RAM into a club album.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Not that I disagree (I love female disco songs) but I think it's kind of the point. The concept is daft punk going through all these robot emotions and it's 2 dudes. vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The album has close to a 90 on metacritic, I think it's safe to say most people enjoy the album. It's not for everyone, but what album is? Even when albums like thriller came out (sorry, i have to use an example that is seen as iconic) alot of people slammed it because it was recycling stuff that guys like James Brown had already been doing before and "better".

Basically people have opinions. And you know what they say about opinions.

• Locked thread