Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Dunno where all these complaints about the recording quality of "Get Lucky" are coming from. Everything sounds very expensive. This song is what I imagine money sounds like.

Can't wait to see what else those whacky robots can do with a few million dollars worth of recording equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
The hell is "we robbed a mexican monkey" supposed to mean? gently caress you Pharrell, you hack.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I've never had Spotify notify me when a song is available until now. Is it a recommendation based on my listening habits or is this such a major release that they assumed everyone would want to know?

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I want to like these collaborator videos but they're all giving me the impression that the album is going to be a bunch of talented people blowing smoke up their own asses.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
It's pretty drat excellent and a bit frustrating in a few places. When it really takes off it goes places where no one dares. I was really blown away by Touch . However, Lose Yourself To Dance had me cringing on first impression. Mr. P Williams just doesn't give a convincing enough performance to carry that track. Otherwise the records only problem, as always with every Daft Punk record, is that the robots have no idea what it means to say "no."

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I totally cannot wait to see if I can get my parents into a Daft Punk record :3:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Is the vinyl going to be a double LP? I'm interested if the vinyl release will change my opinion about the pacing at all. It seems like there's a lot of starts and stops. The placing of songs like "Beyond" would make a lot more since in the context of being the opener of say, Side C.

"Beyond" totally sounds like an opener and I can't get over it not being the first song.

Overal, pacing is really the only thing bogging this down for me, minus a few bloated instrumentals (I'm looking at your "Motherboard").

Edit: Don't know why I didn't just Google my initial question. It is not a double LP. gently caress it, I'm just going to re-order "Beyond" on my playlist.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 16, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

thathonkey posted:

w daft punk declining in relevance

Do you live on a planet where RAM isn't the most anticipated and (arguably) most significant release world-wide for the music industry in the summer of 2013?

Edit: I mean you can argue about whether or not they've lost their mojo, but no force on earth is going to stop this album from becoming a colossal success. Daft Punk are pretty unshakeable at this point.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 17, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

thathonkey posted:

I guess I do. I think you need to gain some perspective.

I really don't want to pick nits, but I think it would be neat if you elaborated on how Daft Punk have become/are becoming irrelevant. Saying I don't have the right perspective or whatever the gently caress is a pretty lame cop out, buddy guy. I'm sure you meant to say "Daft Punk have become bad." Since they are quite obviously as far away from irrelevancy as any band could possibly be. In fact, I can't think of a band who is currently more relevant to the industry at large than Daft Punk.

Anyway, RAM mostly owns fellas. Beyond is my favorite. Best new music.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 18, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I think there's more eyes watching Daft Punk than ever before. I don't think it's a stretch to predict that RAM will easily shoot to #1 in the US next week. Whereas their other albums haven't even broken the top 40.

I think you're just trying to say that Daft Punk are bad now. I just can't support your use of the word "irrelevant."

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 18, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Oh, I'm absolutely sure of it. But the predictions saying that they'll break Oasis' nearly two decade record in the year 2013, a time when no one buys music ever, certainly means a lot.

Edit: Anyway, I'm curious how many of you had your first exposure to Daft Punk while watching Toonami after school?

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I wonder how many people bought scalper tickets at exorbitant prices and flew halfway around the world for the Wee Waa launch party and cried after Daft Punk never even made an appearance.

Granted, the videos made it look like a fun as hell time. But drat...

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
But I agreed with Nail Rat?

:shrug:

I really just fail to see how the word "irrelevant" is a suitable description for Daft Punk in any regard but drat this is becoming some circular rear end poo poo.

Let's keep talking about how some of this record is really good and some of this record is pretty dumb.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
My definition of relevancy is whether or not people actually give a poo poo.

Have they peaked? In what regard? Talent? Exposure? Popularity? Influence? Those are all pretty difficult factors to quantify but I certainly believe they're just as big of a pull today as they've always been. Tons of people the world over still care a whole hell of a lot about Daft Punk.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US#q=Daft+Punk

I don't think they've peaked. I think they're currently at their peak. Right now. I think they are bigger than they've ever been.

Now, will Get Lucky have the same legs as songs like Around The World, One More Time, Harder Better Faster Stronger, or Technologic? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 18, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
It's really weird that in every RAM thread I've read on various message boards people can't stop speculating on what Pitchfork's rating will be. There's very few albums I can think of where a critical consensus could matter less than with RAM. I imagine very few people will be persuaded to listen to this album or ignore it based on what Pitchfork, or any other publication for that matter, has to say about it. The majority of Pitchfork's readers have probably already formed their own opinions on the record by now. I get the impression that people who care are just very eager to roll their eyes or have their opinions validated.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 20, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Pretty strange that the critic reviewed it from a personal taste standpoint instead of explaining what an anonymous listener might experience. Pitchfork is generally pretty good about that (minus all their output at the beginning of the last decade).

I agree with his score but I don't agree at all with the specific things he enjoyed and didn't enjoy. The pacing is my least favorite thing about this record but the author praised the sequencing pretty highly. I guess the only tracks I skip while I listen are Within and Motherboard so percentage wise that's an 85. So yeah if I had a blog it would be included in my Best New Music featurette.

I fear we're all out of things to discuss now that the verdict is in from Pitchfork :ohdear: Hope the Get Lucky video is right around the corner.

Edit: Also, I have no idea what that guy is on about when he correlates Digital Love to Fragments of Time.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 20, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

Modest Mike posted:

They already said they aren't doing videos for this album so unless something has changed that's not really a point of discussion.

Can I get a link to them stating this? Not that I doubt you really, I just haven't heard anything about it and the idea of them not having any new videos really surprises me considering they're so well known for their consistently outstanding videos. I just figured the clips of the band jamming on transparent instruments and rocking out in front of a sunset were teasers for a longer video.

Edit: Nevermind, found a quote from Bangalter after some wrangling with Google.

quote:

For now, there won't be any clip. The record was made in studio pretty much old school, we're going to find back the the spirit of the great shows of the giant billboards on Sunset Boulevard for bands like The Doors, Led Zeppelin. On certain tv shows, we send 15 or 60 seconds spots. One, we don't want to put too much image in the mind of people, that's all, and the absence of visuals around the Beatles doesn't bother us, which in fact opens even more their music. After, it won't be the same anymore because of videoclips. Our vision is: there, the record's here, listen to it, dive in it, we'll see after...

Kind of a bummer. I mean, I get the idea of wanting to capture the essence of the pre-MTV era, but DP is a very visual band who very much exist in the post-MTV era. Hell, as it is the two sounds co-exist in the recording.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 20, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Not enough talk in this thread about how Beyond is the best song.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Just chiming in to say that the intro to Touch is probably my favorite part of the song (next to the ragtime bit). Sounds like some terrifying monster-machine hybrid powering on for the first time after a long hibernation before it abruptly gains consciousness. I think those distorted vocals are totally cool and actually a little creepy.

Also I think I would prefer Get Lucky to be in front of Touch because I personally feel the callback would be more effective on the later.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 31, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
It's probably one of the least compulsively listenable tracks on the album and it for sure is pompous, conceited even. But I think the negative reaction stems from people who come to Daft Punk expecting instantly recognizable earworm dance jams, which is certainly their bread and butter. So a sprawling, ever-changing symphony with kitchy vocals is a huge turn off for a lot of people expecting something more compact and hooky with less melodrama. It's a pretty incredible composition though and even if it's way too grandiose for it's own good, it's hard to fault it when it's reaching for the stars.

I'm honestly surprised to find that Touch seems to be the most controversial track on the record when I figured Fragments of Time was going to be the black sheep (love both, tho). Fragments is just so playfully sentimental that I thought it would be the most instantly repulsive to the majority of listeners.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 31, 2013

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I can see the those tawdry, easy listening, schmaltzy vocals being the breaking point for a lot of people. However, I honestly think it's so polarizing because the song tries so hard to impress you and the sprawl is just too much for some people to take before they get antsy.

I would say it's far from being meandering, though. The entire song it built on an upward trajectory.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Yeah I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong for not liking it, I'm really just spitballing some theories to explain the contrasting opinions on Touch since, for me, the vocals are probably the least compelling reason to not enjoy it. To each his own obviously!

Anyway, I'm interested to know if there's any stauch defenders of Motherboard? For me that is far and away the most skippable and aimless track on the entire record. It's the exact moment where the album stops earning my attention and becomes background noise. It's just way too long and meandering to be the spacey, palette cleansing intermission track it wants to be. It was neat to listen to on headphones a few times, but now it's the one thing dragging down an otherwise impeccable final stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Yeesh, that NME review was some pretty painful, amateur journalism. I received the exact same information by looking at the back of the record sleeve.

• Locked thread