Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Yoda posted:

Correct, however you are limited to just one park with a regular ticket, and any park that is offering extra magic hours that day is going to be the most crowded park. If you do not have a park hopper ticket I would actually suggest NOT going to the magic hour parks, however if you do have park hopper certainly do a different park during the day and head over to the extra magic hours at night.

Yeah, we're getting Park Hopper tickets so we can do what someone else in the thread mentioned an possibly end up at Epcot most nights after going to another park all day.

We're also hitting Universal for a day or two (but staying at AoA the whole time). I know this is just about WDW but does anyone have any Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure advice?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yes. At either Universal park, leave the very second you feel tired. You don't just have to walk back through the park, but also back through all of Citywalk and the parking garages. If you make the mistake of starting to leave when you're exhausted, that walk sucks so much. And every time we go, we always forget this.

Regarding extra magic hours, we generally skip the morning ones but like to stay for the night ones. The extra crowds earlier in the day seem to be worth dealing with for the drastically reduced crowds at night. I haven't seen them do this in a while, but a few years ago, my wife and I stayed for the extra magic hours that went until 3 am at the Magic Kingdom. The park was like a ghost town. When we were leaving, there were maybe three other people on all of Main Street. It felt like we had the park completely to ourselves for the last hour. This isn't really a regular thing, unfortunately, but incredible when it happens.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Paul Allen posted:

Lots of great advice, thanks everyone. That was exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Not sure we'll be wearing those Mickey hats, but I'd totally love some buttons or something. Always nice to have a little special something on vacations like this.

The reason for wearing the hats is the special treatment you'll get around the resort. Seriously consider wearing them.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Brilliant. Thanks again everyone.

Voting opportunity: if we were going to have our "anniversary dinner" (aka one, big, expensive, amazing dinner) at WDW, where should it be?

We love every kind of food from basically all countries and are very adventurous eaters, so I just want to know what you all think is THE BEST restaurant at WDW worth dropping a couple hundred bucks at. One restaurant, full stop.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Paul Allen posted:

Voting opportunity: if we were going to have our "anniversary dinner" (aka one, big, expensive, amazing dinner) at WDW, where should it be?

We love every kind of food from basically all countries and are very adventurous eaters, so I just want to know what you all think is THE BEST restaurant at WDW worth dropping a couple hundred bucks at. One restaurant, full stop.

Victoria and Alberts. No ifs, ands or buts about this.

http://victoria-alberts.com/

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Yoda posted:

Victoria and Alberts. No ifs, ands or buts about this.

http://victoria-alberts.com/

Meeeeh. I agree only if you like haute-culture dining. I'd rather go to Jiko or Artist's Point. Artist's Point if I was wanting something more traditionally American and Jiko if not. Both have great atmosphere and wonderful food.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, at the point where you're gonna spend a couple hundred on dinner, Victoria and Albert's. It's not even a contest at that point.

If you want to drop it down to around $100 total for two people, this question becomes much more interesting.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If you can get a reservation to Le Cellier in Epcot, that's the best place I've eaten on property. I have heard great things about Artist Point, Narcoossees (at Grand Floridian), and Victoria and Alberts.

Sometimes I wish WDW had it's own version of Club 33. Not that I'd ever be able to get in, but that'd be a prime spot for some anniversary magic.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

deadwing posted:

The reason for wearing the hats is the special treatment you'll get around the resort. Seriously consider wearing them.

The buttons have the same effect and are easier to wear. I get the Birthday button every time we go in March (even when it isn't technically the week of my birthday) because there's a reasonably good chance of random cast members treating my gown-rear end adult self like an entitled, spoiled rotten little princess. :j:

On the subject of Extra Magic Hours, we've learned that the trick to Evening XMH is to go to the XMH park after official closing time; ie, when all the non-Disney resort guests have been kicked out. And not a minute earlier, unless you want to experience being a salmon swimming upstream. We did this during our late November trip to see the Christmas lights at Magic Kingdom and I could swear the park was all but deserted.

E: And on the subject of anniversary dinners. If you're willing to splurge and want a truly unique experience, you might want to look into special dining events. There's a Lunch With An Imagineer experience that my family's been trying to get into for the past three years. If you want to go really crazy, try getting into the Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's.

Roar posted:

Except that Universal will never (let Disney use the Avengers characters) based entirely on the fact that they want to keep the marvel poo poo on their side of the Orlando battleground. Getting rid of Marvel would gut a lot of IoA.

Would it really, though? The only ride in (sigh) Marvel Superhero Island that absolutely needs to keep its namesake character is the Spider-Man ride; you could retheme the Hulk coaster, and the other two rides are named after characters controlled by other studios.

There's also the issue that the parts of UIOA that aren't Harry Potter are looking pretty sad in comparison to Harry Potter, but that'd be a huge derail and it's late.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 21, 2013

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If you can get a reservation to Le Cellier in Epcot, that's the best place I've eaten on property. I have heard great things about Artist Point, Narcoossees (at Grand Floridian), and Victoria and Alberts.

I ate elk for the first time ever at Artist Point and it was loving delicious. I honestly feel that V&A doesn't beat that joint when it comes to actual food quality, although of course Artist Point can't compete when it comes to snootiness.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If I ever hit the jackpot, I want to go to the the Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's just to say I did it.

I just booked some dining for my December trip, and it's pretty simple, but I am excited. I am trying out Be Our Guest (got lucky and got added to a reservation thanks to my Aunt who will be there at the same time as me. I also booked a reservation on my own, but at 9pm the night before I leave. That seems like it might be depressing) and I decided to try out Kona Cafe for dinner and Via Napoli in Epcot for lunch.

I am looking for other table service suggestions actually, since I'll have seven credits, and only four planned uses of them.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

If I ever hit the jackpot, I want to go to the the Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's just to say I did it.

I just booked some dining for my December trip, and it's pretty simple, but I am excited. I am trying out Be Our Guest (got lucky and got added to a reservation thanks to my Aunt who will be there at the same time as me. I also booked a reservation on my own, but at 9pm the night before I leave. That seems like it might be depressing) and I decided to try out Kona Cafe for dinner and Via Napoli in Epcot for lunch.

I am looking for other table service suggestions actually, since I'll have seven credits, and only four planned uses of them.

Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge is an awesome use of a dining credit.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
drat, you all are great!

Here's a twist to the same question: I want a nice dinner AND a very nice, romantic setting. Looking at all the restaurants you all have suggested so far, it seems Le Cellier fits the bill the best. Also I wouldn't have to bring a blazer to Florida.

Think that's a safe bet?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 21, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

drat, you all are great!

Here's a twist to the same question: I want a nice dinner AND a very nice, romantic setting. Looking at all the restaurants you all have suggested so far, it seems Le Cellier fits the bill the best.

Think that's a safe bet?

As for food: My meal was excellent. The Cheddar soup (made with beer) and Pretzel Breadsticks alone are worth it for me, but the steak I had was wonderful.

The atmosphere is cozy and secluded. It's smaller than the outside would have you believe. I think it could work well for a romantic setting quite well.

as a heads up it is Signature, so if you are on dining plan of sorts, it will cost you 2 Table Service credits per person instead of the usual 1. If you are paying out of pocket that won't be an issue.

Otherwise, make sure you reserve. It fills up fast.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

As for food: My meal was excellent. The Cheddar soup (made with beer) and Pretzel Breadsticks alone are worth it for me, but the steak I had was wonderful.

The atmosphere is cozy and secluded. It's smaller than the outside would have you believe. I think it could work well for a romantic setting quite well.

as a heads up it is Signature, so if you are on dining plan of sorts, it will cost you 2 Table Service credits per person instead of the usual 1. If you are paying out of pocket that won't be an issue.

Otherwise, make sure you reserve. It fills up fast.

Cozy and secluded sounds nice, especially since we'll be coming off a day or two of being around throngs of people constantly.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

Cozy and secluded sounds nice, especially since we'll be coming off a day or two of being around throngs of people constantly.

You are basically in the wine cellar of this building.

Except that it's also a gourmet steak house. The architecture inside is gorgeous if that sort of thing matters.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

You are basically in the wine cellar of this building.

Except that it's also a gourmet steak house. The architecture inside is gorgeous if that sort of thing matters.

Very nice! And architecture absolutely matters. We love a good, all-around dining experience, and the architecture is a huge party of that.

My wife is also a sucker for beer cheese soup, so that kind of sold it for me.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The cheese soup is literally one of the best foods I've ever eaten. It's the highlight of the Food and Wine festival for me since I've never gotten around to actually eating at the physical restaurant.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roar posted:

The cheese soup is literally one of the best foods I've ever eaten. It's the highlight of the Food and Wine festival for me since I've never gotten around to actually eating at the physical restaurant.

That's my sister's absolute favorite thing to eat during the F&W Festival. I personally prefer the Pirogies from Poland, or the Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta, but most of the food varies between "really good" and "fan-drat-tastic".

Also, nth-ing the Le Cellier love. I had a friend ask for a restaurant reservation for Epcot, and that was my answer, no other words needed. The filet is fantastic, all of the bread is nice, and the maple creme brulee is the perfect topper.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Yoshifan823 posted:

maple creme brulee

Sold

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Get reservations at Le Cellier 180 days in advance if at all possible! They will fill up insanely quickly. But yeah, dipping the pretzel bread in their beer cheese soup is reason enough to go.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

HPanda posted:

Get reservations at Le Cellier 180 days in advance if at all possible! They will fill up insanely quickly. But yeah, dipping the pretzel bread in their beer cheese soup is reason enough to go.

Trust me, we've basically got our finger on the button when it comes to restaurant reservations, especially when it comes to our "one BIG dinner" and Be Our Guest. This won't be until late March/early April, so it will be awhile longer until we can reserve spots.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Today I nabbed a resevation at Jiko: The Cooking Place, mainly as an excuse to go over to Animal Kingdom Lodge. I will say the Filet looks pretty goddamn spectacular.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Paul Allen posted:

Trust me, we've basically got our finger on the button when it comes to restaurant reservations, especially when it comes to our "one BIG dinner" and Be Our Guest. This won't be until late March/early April, so it will be awhile longer until we can reserve spots.

I've actually heard Be Our Guest is overhyped right now for what it actually is. Anyone heard anything similar?

Le Cellier is actually my Victoria and Albert's at the moment. :shobon: We rarely do table service whenever we go to the parks. The most we've done is one of the buffets, either the Crystal Palace at MK or Hollywood and Vine at DHS, and both during New Years Eve. They're good, but very crowded.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I wouldn't call it over-hyped. It's not a romantic atmosphere, but when my family went, it was a cool place with cool scenery. Roughly the same cost/quality ratio of food as most other Disney sit-downs. It also has the fun novelty of being the only place in the Magic Kingdom to drink alcohol.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Circutron posted:

I've actually heard Be Our Guest is overhyped right now for what it actually is. Anyone heard anything similar?

Trust me, we're going just for the scenery. We really want to sit in the east wing room. No romance expected!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Nathilus posted:

Hahaha, yep. That's definitely the place. I get a huge kick out of it. Having lunch by a fake river in the fake evening in fake Mexico with a random volcano painted on in the background has this pleasurably surrealist vibe that can't be had anywhere else.

With a stop at La Cava del Tequila first for adult beverages (hint:shots..), also if you have Twitter, follow them and when you go you get free chips and salsa or a shot on the house. They know me well enough now and always give me a shot and depending on the bartender I get something different off the shelf as a thank you for being a regular. After a few rounds we eventually end up at the restaurant, most of the time.. sort of.

Paul Allen posted:

It's not adventurous fare but we love Le Cellier in the Canada pavilion.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 23, 2013

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Paul Allen posted:

I didn't think Victoria and Albert's was worth it. The food is pretty good but I didn't find the atmosphere very romantic. More stuffy and awkward. I certainly didn't walk out of there thinking "WOW, that was WORTH the $500!"

Does it have to be a place that accepts the dining plan? If not, then I recommend bluezoo at the Disney Dolphin hotel. I've been there several times over several years and have never had a meal that wasn't fantastic. The atmosphere is very cool and definitely romantic. Also, I think because they don't take the dining plan, it's usually not a chaotic holy hell inside (that's probably also why the food is good).

If it has to be something the dining plan accepts then I recommend Jiko. One of the very few Disney places where the food is actually good.

Be Our Guest is NOT romantic. The atmosphere is very chaotic and loud inside. Don't get me wrong it's designed VERY slickly. Especially if you are a Beauty and the Beast fan I think going inside is a "must." The food is horrible however and I definitely wouldn't make it the big anniversary dinner.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
IMHO, YMMV:

Jiko was overpriced and not a great atmosphere. Way loud, the service was sub-standard for typical Disney. The best part was wandering around the AK Lodge while waiting for our reservation.

V&A, someone mentioned that it just wasn't worth the money, and while I didn't have the issues I encountered at Jiko, I agree. Nothing that sets it apart from Fleur De Lis or Gary Danko (The French Laundry was same price and way better if you're a west-coaster and really feeling frisky).

California Grill in the Contemporary has great seating for the fireworks show at MK. They dim the lights and pump in the music. You can request a window seat, but I just ended up having the entire restaurant crowd around my table anyway. I'd still pick this as my 'romantic adult time' dinner if I go back.

‘Ohana at the Polynesian resort was good as well, family style, great for bit groups. It also might be a favorite due to the fact that I want to stay at that property next time I go.

However I've neglected to eat at any of the sit-downs in the parks themselves and it appears I'm missing out on Le Cellier.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I normally would have recommended California Grill, but they're closed for rehab right now, so I'm not sure if it will be the same sort of vibe when it reopens. But yeah, California Grill at least was incredible a few years back. The prices have gone way up since about 10 years ago (it seems like more than other Disney restaurants), but it was still worth it.

Ohana is great for when you want meat, and lots of it. Good meat, too.

One place I forgot to mention before is The Brown Derby. My wife and I have some great memories there. The cobb salad is incredible, and if you go for lunch, it's not all that expensive.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

HPanda posted:

I normally would have recommended California Grill, but they're closed for rehab right now

Darn, should have done my homework.

quote:

One place I forgot to mention before is The Brown Derby.

Ha. Excellent food, I forgot I ate there but I went as part of a 'tour'

Speaking of, this matured into a food thread pretty quick, and I haven't seen any mention yet of tours, some of them are fascinating if you're interested into how the magic happens, and provide a nice break from standing in line. I've done:

Backstage Magic. Amazing tour, takes all day, expensive, you get a decent lunch halfway through. Get to wander around behind the scenes of everywhere but AK. Experience the famous utilidors! (and their unique smell) See 'Ariel' wandering around in a bra! (cameras were not permitted) Visit Disney World HR because your tour guide needed to 'swing by for a moment'! In all seriousness it was awesome, got to see the costume design shops, the storage warehouse for all the holiday decorations, I got to watch the show at the America pavilion at Epcot from behind while it was running. Realizing the insane amount of hydraulics needed for the anamatronics, and how absolutely silent it is, makes you appreciate the engineering that goes into the attractions.

I don't see it anymore but, the Epcot Segway tour. It was rather boring, seemed to delight the midwesterners who had never ridden a segway, and it's always fun to wander around the pavilions while they're closed. Got some good pictures without throngs of other tourists in the background. I don't even have to suggest passing on it, but maybe they'll bring it back some day and my warnings may be heeded.

Behind the Seeds: This one was an absurd amount of geeky horticulture fun. You basically just get to wander around with a Disney botanist and ask questions about the plants that make up the Living With The Land 'ride'. I grew up on a farm and have an urban garden going now, and I enjoyed seeing the new technology for hydroponics, what beneficial insects they use on site, waving at people on the boats, it was a good time. Ride the ride, if you think "wonder how they do that" 3 or more times, go to the tour booth at the exit and sign up.

Dine With An Imagineer: Not officially a tour, but still an event I think was well worth the money. You get to choose lunch at either The Flying Fish Cafe at the Boardwalk, or The Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios. You basically just sit down and have a meal with someone working in the imagineering department. The guy we got was a lead designer for the retail spaces at the parks, and he spoke about his job for a while, then just answered any random questions we had for the remaining hour and a half or so. Don't take kids. Please. They won't get it, they won't care, they'll make noise while playing on their phone and waste your money. Also don't ask the imagineer if they'll give your child an interview. The answer will be no.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

Oh, and if anyone is traveling to DW with a disability (or accompanying someone) I've had experience navigating that side of a trip to Disney, I can probably answer any questions a first-timer would have about using a disabled pass, and the accommodations Disney offers that are a bit buried.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fejsze posted:

However I've neglected to eat at any of the sit-downs in the parks themselves and it appears I'm missing out on Le Cellier.

My wife and I have been there twice for anniversary dinners and enjoyed it immensely. We asked for a table off to the side since it was our anniversary and it was cozy. The service was really good, we both enjoyed the food and it has a nice ambiance to it. You are essentially having dinner in a themed wine cellar.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...372336967444098

HPanda posted:

One place I forgot to mention before is The Brown Derby. My wife and I have some great memories there. The cobb salad is incredible, and if you go for lunch, it's not all that expensive.

Brown Derby is great, the Cobb salad is really good and over the years it has not changed. As you know sometimes corners are cut to save money but this one is consistent. Also at Hollywood Studios we like the 50's Prime Time Cafe. It's gimmicky with the waitstaff playing roles of family members taking care of your when you come over to eat at home. The areas look like kitchen tables complete with TV's so you get that feel like you are in some throwback nightmare but its all fun when the server calls you out for not eating your vegetables and grabs a spoon of peas doing an airplane to feed you. The meatloaf, pot pie or pot roast are all really tasty.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Honestly when it comes to DHS I'm in love with Mama Melroses. It's amazing Italian food in a Italy meets California kind of atmosphere. My family and I do it every year around Christmas time right before seeing the Osbourne lights.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.
I was directed over to this forum by fluffy bunnies form the Ask Me About Working at Disney forum. Rather than retype, here's what I posted there:

Glad I stumbled across this thread. I retire from the military in November and my mother, two brothers and my two children will be here in San Diego to help celebrate it. At some point, we plan on driving up to Anaheim to visit DisneyLand. Are there pros/cons to visiting during November? Also, what benefits can I take advantage of being military? From what I've seen, our MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) centers offer "discount" tickets, but they are only $5-$10 cheaper than normal gate prices. Anaheim, it seems, is less military friendly (price-wise, at least) than other Disney parks.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated as my entire family has a love of amusement parks and we want to have a great experience (on a budget, but not tight waddish...)

SO, I looked through this thread and noticed its pretty much all Florida WDW posts. Any advice for Anaheim?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you're only staying the one night, you will see less discounts. Most of their big discounts are on things like multiple day park-hopper-included kinds of discounts. If they want to see Cars Land you're going to be over in Disney California Adventure, which can easily be done in a day whether you're a thrill seeker or you guys prefer more mellow things. But since there's kids, they're probably gonna wanna see the castle and do the classic rides in Disneyland.

You might not get everything done on a Saturday/Sunday in Disneyland. You'd probably have better luck on a Monday or a Tuesday.

http://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/crowd-calendar A month prior to going you'll be able to see this for free. It was about 95% accurate while we were there last December. November isn't a bad time to go. The holiday decorations might already be out (they should be, but I don't want to guarantee it, y'know?) and Haunted Mansion will be in full Nightmare Before Christmas regalia so if you have any fans in the party, it's definitely worth hitting up.

From earlier in the thread:

quote:

Military goons should call the Disneyworld/land reservations hotline, because hot drat does your military ID get you some sweet deals (currently). 40% off disney-owned rooms, $159 4 day park hopper tickets for adults, dining discounts-all sorts of stuff.

allears.net is generally my go-to because they constantly keep stuff up to date.

Allears' disneyland area is pretty small, but it'll still give you a good idea of things. The best piece of advice I can give you is wait until early September and contact Disneyland reservations directly about a November 1 day vacation. They'll have all the current promotions by that point and they'll work to get you the best deal they can. If they bring up staying off property, we stayed at the Anaheim Marriot Suites. It's only a couple of miles to the main gate, the breakfast buffet is pretty nice and the place was lovely. There's also a Target literally across the street for any necessities. Parking was a bit of a bitch, but it's a solid property and it's a Good Neighbor hotel, which means if you go on a day with extra magic hours, you get those as if you were staying on a disney property. Extra magic hours are for people staying at a disney or affiliate (good neighbor, in this case) hotel. Sometimes they're in the morning, sometimes they're in the evening, but lines are usually pretty short.

The biggest thing is, your id will probably give you some cash off, be it a little or a ton. But due to when you're going, you really won't know how much until the reservations/CS hotline get the updates for 2013-2014 deals for the military. Sometimes they're different, sometimes they're the same, but they won't confirm anything until they have word from over their head. Which is great. But it kinda fucks you a little for planning.

Are you looking for any information in the park specifically?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

PrincessKate posted:

I didn't think Victoria and Albert's was worth it. The food is pretty good but I didn't find the atmosphere very romantic. More stuffy and awkward. I certainly didn't walk out of there thinking "WOW, that was WORTH the $500!"

A lot of people consider V&A the best restaurant in the state of Florida, and some the entire Southeastern US. I agree it's probably not worth it if you don't understand the food. Unless you're a foodie you probably don't understand most of what they serve, and you can only describe it as "pretty good." Plenty of people can afford it, especially for something like an anniversary dinner, but that doesn't mean they'll really appreciate it what makes it fantastic rather than just pretty good.

I'm not trying to be condescending or jump on any particular poster; I'm one of those people myself since I also walked out of V&A only able to say "well that was tasty, now let's go to the bar." When someone tells me I just don't understand how a paint splattering on a chair is a post-modern anti-establishment expression I also laugh in their face. But there was a lot of depth to the food that I just couldn't grasp. It's like I was simply not experienced enough to be eating there.

To put it in whisky terms, if you put a bottle of Red Label and a bottle of Glenfarclas 21 in front of someone who has never had whisky before, they would probably recognize the latter is more refined, but that's about it. They wouldn't be able to specifically describe what makes it better. And they certainly wouldn't be able to tell why Glenfarclas 21 costs so much more money.

So I'd probably like to visit V&A again, but only in another few decades after I've had more opportunities to build culinary expertise. I'm assuming it will still be there.

edit: unfortunately I don't know anything about other restaurants at WDW, none of them were memorable for us. Luckily it looks like other posters have that covered

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 28, 2013

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

zmcnulty posted:

A lot of people consider V&A the best restaurant in the state of Florida, and some the entire Southeastern US. I agree it's probably not worth it if you don't understand the food. Unless you're a foodie you probably don't understand most of what they serve, and you can only describe it as "pretty good." Plenty of people can afford it, especially for something like an anniversary dinner, but that doesn't mean they'll really appreciate it what makes it fantastic rather th not trying to be condescending or jump on any particular poster; I'm one of those people myself since I also walked out of V&A only able to say "well that wan just pretty good.

It doesn't take some culinary genius to notice that the food at Artist Point is just as good (if obviously prepared in a completely different style) as what they serve at V&A. I think it's a cop-out to say that if someone doesn't think it's that absolute bomb that "you just don't GET it mang". You're even arguing that your own plebeian palette isn't enough to fully appreciate the refined flavors of a V&A meal. Sounds suspiciously like fanwank to me, particularly when I know how people love talking up a restaurant because it's ~*~exclusive~*~.

I've eaten there before and it was definitely not my most enjoyable meal on property, so I admit I'm biased on this point. Don't get me wrong either, V&A serves a mean rear end meal that happens to cost more than I make in a normal week.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you're only staying the one night, you will see less discounts. Most of their big discounts are on things like multiple day park-hopper-included kinds of discounts. If they want to see Cars Land you're going to be over in Disney California Adventure, which can easily be done in a day whether you're a thrill seeker or you guys prefer more mellow things. But since there's kids, they're probably gonna wanna see the castle and do the classic rides in Disneyland.

You might not get everything done on a Saturday/Sunday in Disneyland. You'd probably have better luck on a Monday or a Tuesday.

http://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/crowd-calendar A month prior to going you'll be able to see this for free. It was about 95% accurate while we were there last December. November isn't a bad time to go. The holiday decorations might already be out (they should be, but I don't want to guarantee it, y'know?) and Haunted Mansion will be in full Nightmare Before Christmas regalia so if you have any fans in the party, it's definitely worth hitting up.

From earlier in the thread:

Allears' disneyland area is pretty small, but it'll still give you a good idea of things. The best piece of advice I can give you is wait until early September and contact Disneyland reservations directly about a November 1 day vacation. They'll have all the current promotions by that point and they'll work to get you the best deal they can. If they bring up staying off property, we stayed at the Anaheim Marriot Suites. It's only a couple of miles to the main gate, the breakfast buffet is pretty nice and the place was lovely. There's also a Target literally across the street for any necessities. Parking was a bit of a bitch, but it's a solid property and it's a Good Neighbor hotel, which means if you go on a day with extra magic hours, you get those as if you were staying on a disney property. Extra magic hours are for people staying at a disney or affiliate (good neighbor, in this case) hotel. Sometimes they're in the morning, sometimes they're in the evening, but lines are usually pretty short.

The biggest thing is, your id will probably give you some cash off, be it a little or a ton. But due to when you're going, you really won't know how much until the reservations/CS hotline get the updates for 2013-2014 deals for the military. Sometimes they're different, sometimes they're the same, but they won't confirm anything until they have word from over their head. Which is great. But it kinda fucks you a little for planning.

Are you looking for any information in the park specifically?

Thanks! This is basically perfect and precisely what I was looking for. More the "How do I do this?" not "What do we go see?". My brothers and I are pretty internet savvy (my younger brother is on here as well), so we'll look at the lay out pre-visit and lan our day. Probably pop back in here a few times to check on which rides/shows are worth it and which aren't.

ANd forgive any misspellings, etc.. My browser window is going al wonky and I can't actually see what the heck I'm typing...

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Here are a few tips and things I've leaned over the past few years. My wife and I go every year, sometimes more than once, with our now 5 year old (took him the first time at 3 and it was great). We are DVC members but that doesn't change things very much. (I apologize if this was covered, can't search the thread on my phone and this thread is HUGE for only being a few pages.)

1. Plan your trip in advance. If you want character meals, or specific dining reservations, listen to Disney and anyone else that says to book 180 days in advance. Sometimes planning the entire trip sucks, but it's a huge help when going to Disney.

2. Disney Dining Plan: we love it, but we also have a child and do character meals, so it works out well for us. If you are on the fence about whether or not it will work for you, use this DDP calculator:

http:/www.seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon

I found that on the DIS Boards, it's safe and it's loving awesome for planning your dining and estimating costs.

DDP is also sometimes free to guests going at certain times of the year.

3. Sign up for the MouseSavers newsletter. Always good info about all things Disney (refurb dates and times, discounts, etc.).

4. Dole Whip. Best snack in the entire kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nathilus posted:

It doesn't take some culinary genius to notice that the food at Artist Point is just as good (if obviously prepared in a completely different style) as what they serve at V&A. I think it's a cop-out to say that if someone doesn't think it's that absolute bomb that "you just don't GET it mang". You're even arguing that your own plebeian palette isn't enough to fully appreciate the refined flavors of a V&A meal. Sounds suspiciously like fanwank to me, particularly when I know how people love talking up a restaurant because it's ~*~exclusive~*~.

I've eaten there before and it was definitely not my most enjoyable meal on property, so I admit I'm biased on this point. Don't get me wrong either, V&A serves a mean rear end meal that happens to cost more than I make in a normal week.

And I said I can't compare it to other places at WDW since nothing else stood out, so thanks for presenting an alternative I guess.

Also not everyone walks out of restaurants asking themselves "that was good, but was it $xxx good?" Especially for places we don't visit on a regular basis.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 4, 2013