Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

There is a new early access sim game called NIMBYRails which lets you build rail networks on a full-scale world map.

So I did the needful:

Next step is to expand it. :getin:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1134710/NIMBY_Rails/

how often do they crash

How d'you feel about TPM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

how often do they crash

Crashes and breakdowns are future enhancements. For now it is the monorail system of a Disney fan's dream.

The trains:

Expansion and new trains:

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 13, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How d'you feel about TPM?

I think they're a tad click-baity. I hate the narrator trying his best to imitate "Disney Channel" style, and they are loaded with false information and unfortunately perpetuate a lot of annoying rumors - a big one that comes to mind is the false rumor that the yeti in Expedition Everest can not be taken out without partially dismantling the mountain. This is 100% false, the yeti has been removed overnight a handful of times since it stopped moving.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

The Tim Tracker.
I am joking please don't give him clicks

But if you actually want this sorta content I'm gonna say Theme Park Obsession is very good. Back when SoCal parks were open he was good about going there and giving updates about construction. He also just gave a long thing in one of his videos about not being in it for the clicks.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dylan1991D

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://twitter.com/magencubed/status/1360571653487546369?s=21

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I dunno about other Louisiana goons on here, but I'm more triggered by the "Mardi Gras" stuff coming out of Universal this year than usual.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

couldcareless posted:

I dunno about other Louisiana goons on here, but I'm more triggered by the "Mardi Gras" stuff coming out of Universal this year than usual.

The solution to this is just to make some dupe gumbo and/or jambalaya at home. One trick I learned to making jambalaya is to cut everything real small. It's a lotta drat work, but I like it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

couldcareless posted:

What are they doing?

Still weird as hell (but understandable) that they closed every bar in New Orleans until Wednesday.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

rumor that the yeti in Expedition Everest can not be taken out without partially dismantling the mountain. This is 100% false, the yeti has been removed overnight a handful of times since it stopped moving.
I thought this was real.

Why don't they fix it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I think they're a tad click-baity. I hate the narrator trying his best to imitate "Disney Channel" style, and they are loaded with false information and unfortunately perpetuate a lot of annoying rumors - a big one that comes to mind is the false rumor that the yeti in Expedition Everest can not be taken out without partially dismantling the mountain. This is 100% false, the yeti has been removed overnight a handful of times since it stopped moving.

Source??

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

What are they doing?

Still weird as hell (but understandable) that they closed every bar in New Orleans until Wednesday.

Universal always has Mardi Gras but this year it sucks that Universal can have it but Louisiana can't.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I was under the impression that they can pull the actual animatronic in pieces if necessary, but the problem isn't actually the machine; it's the base under it, and they can't fix that without pulling a bunch of poo poo out/ripping poo poo apart.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Old Man Pants posted:

I thought this was real.

Why don't they fix it

I worked at Expedition Everest for a spell. The openers have to walk the track and power up each zone as part of the startup process. The closers have to walk the track to look for lost and found items. I've been in that scene with the lights on and no yeti. This was 9 years ago, but it has happened a few more times since.

For them to have built a figure that they can't work on without dismantling the structure around it would be unfathomably stupid. The mountain is basically a huge hollow warehouse with rockwork laid on top of it and on the sides. The coaster track weaves in and out of the "warehouse" and has tunnels and rockwork formed around it whenever it's inside the structure. So you can stand in the middle of it, look up, and see the rockwork covering the different scenes of the ride. The yeti is situated on it's own, I want to say, 20 feet wide by 10 feet long by 30 feet high support platform with a very open area behind it. Fun fact - the structures for the mountain/building, coaster track, and yeti share the same foundation but never touch each other otherwise. Rockwork is attached to the top of the yeti's platform to conceal backstage, but still allows for easy access to the figure. There are lift mechanisms on the yeti's support structure to reach the figure, and this area around the support structure can be accessed by maintenance vehicles via a large rollup door on the backside of the mountain.

Joe Rohde, the imagineer behind Everest and most of Animal Kingdom, even confirmed that it's not an issue of accessing the figure: https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/joe-rohde-discusses-complex-nature-of-fixing-expedition-everests-yeti-in-recent-tweets/

The yeti figure isn't as big as people think. It can be dismantled into a few pieces and removed individually. The figure you see is more like a puppet compared to most animatronics. There is a large mechanical arm that is attached to the back of the figure that controlled it and made it lunge forward and downward. This element hasn't been removed as far as I know, but it still could be - it is just a machine after all, and can be dismantled into smaller pieces.

As to why the yeti isn't ever fixed - a clear answer has still never been given. Disney refuses to provide an official answer, but various imagineers have given vague and conflicting reasons. Another longtime rumor is that the yeti's structure or foundation are damaged. I'm no structural engineer, but I've seen them and there was no visible damage and no work ever done on it. A stronger theory that some imagineers (who aren't directly linked with Everest) have mentioned is that the figure's movement creates too much force on itself, and this, combined with Disney's increased restrictions on moving mechanical parts over rider's heads (due to an incident on Big Thunder Mountain in Paris), makes them hesitant to even attempt to fix it.

But mostly, the issue is money. There is no reason to fix it, Everest remains wildly popular whether they fix it or not. They could have easily replaced the figure with something more simple by now, or used projection mapping, or anything other than some strobe lights (there are actually three!), but the bean counters do not want to fit the bill.

I'm hoping the ride gets a proper refurbishment and refresh soon. It's been 15 years, and it has never had one. It's pretty rare for a ride to not receive one at least once every 10 years. Currently the rockwork is very faded, as is the snow at the top, and it's covered with grime, for example. I would hope that if they ever properly shut the ride down for an extended period, that would be the time they install a better replacement for the yeti scene.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The booking window is open for 2022 packages at Walt Disney World.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the answer to the "why wasnt the yeti ever fixed" is this:

Expedition Everest is the biggest ride at that park, and to truly fix it would mean they'd have to take the ride out of commission for a while to fix what is essentially a small effect of the overall ride.

Will this happen? Now that pandora is there possibly, but from what i've gleaned from various insiders is that Pandora still isn't a bigger draw over Everest, and that management loves having a thrill ride that is easily available for everyone to ride in their day trip to Animal Kingdom. It would take the creation of another ride like Everest and not some large thing like pandora for it to go down for any fix along the lines of the yeti. Disney does not want to close Everest and rely on Pandora being the draw because there is no people gobblers with Pandora still.

But I don't see that happening...

unless the removal of primeval whirl is leading towards something bigger coming in...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Primeval Mega Whirl! Just free spinning teacups on a coaster track.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
DinoPark themed version of the Incredicoaster

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I would like all of Dino-Rama bulldozed for a properly themed area and E-ticket attraction. It is a blight on what is otherwise Orlando's most immersive and well-themed theme park.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yep. Just literally do Indiana Jones as an entire area with Dinosaur rethemed and a second ride

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dino-Rama is incredibly immersive and well-themed, the problem is that its immersing you in the environment of that shady traveling carnival that comes to the parking lot of what used to be a mall, and the theme is "lol look at the tacky ways humanity exploits nature."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I really don't think Indy fits.

Maybe this new movie they're coming out with?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i love dino rama and also really loved primeval whirl but I got the theming. But when the mass majority of your visiting audience come from what its mocking/paying homage to it goes over as cheap instead of immersive.

SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Fanboy Posting
Animal Kingdom has quickly become the park that needs some love now after Epcot. again. But Disney hasn't really adapted to the levels that SeaWorld did with their animal based parks and instead stick random things like Pandora in to the area. The answer to "how do we keep a park animal centric while including rides" seems to be intertwining animals with rides as animals are still a huge draw. SeaWorld's integration of Manta & Manta's queue with live animals was genius. Granted I don't think Disney wants to do the whole animal focus with Animal Kingdom anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnpKII70Bq0

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

i love dino rama and also really loved primeval whirl but I got the theming. But when the mass majority of your visiting audience come from what its mocking/paying homage to it goes over as cheap instead of immersive.

SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Fanboy Posting
Animal Kingdom has quickly become the park that needs some love now after Epcot. again. But Disney hasn't really adapted to the levels that SeaWorld did with their animal based parks and instead stick random things like Pandora in to the area. The answer to "how do we keep a park animal centric while including rides" seems to be intertwining animals with rides as animals are still a huge draw. SeaWorld's integration of Manta & Manta's queue with live animals was genius. Granted I don't think Disney wants to do the whole animal focus with Animal Kingdom anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnpKII70Bq0

The issue is making it IP-friendly. It's been for-loving-ever that they did anything original and new that was animal-centric.

Something Moana would be a nice movement into Asia but I don't think it would work in terms of actually walking through the area. And even then, what do you do? The movie is all about her, not anything animal-related or exploration-based.

They really need a new IP or a park-exclusive idea.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I worked at Expedition Everest for a spell. The openers have to walk the track and power up each zone as part of the startup process. The closers have to walk the track to look for lost and found items. I've been in that scene with the lights on and no yeti. This was 9 years ago, but it has happened a few more times since.

For them to have built a figure that they can't work on without dismantling the structure around it would be unfathomably stupid. The mountain is basically a huge hollow warehouse with rockwork laid on top of it and on the sides. The coaster track weaves in and out of the "warehouse" and has tunnels and rockwork formed around it whenever it's inside the structure. So you can stand in the middle of it, look up, and see the rockwork covering the different scenes of the ride. The yeti is situated on it's own, I want to say, 20 feet wide by 10 feet long by 30 feet high support platform with a very open area behind it. Fun fact - the structures for the mountain/building, coaster track, and yeti share the same foundation but never touch each other otherwise. Rockwork is attached to the top of the yeti's platform to conceal backstage, but still allows for easy access to the figure. There are lift mechanisms on the yeti's support structure to reach the figure, and this area around the support structure can be accessed by maintenance vehicles via a large rollup door on the backside of the mountain.

Joe Rohde, the imagineer behind Everest and most of Animal Kingdom, even confirmed that it's not an issue of accessing the figure: https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/joe-rohde-discusses-complex-nature-of-fixing-expedition-everests-yeti-in-recent-tweets/

The yeti figure isn't as big as people think. It can be dismantled into a few pieces and removed individually. The figure you see is more like a puppet compared to most animatronics. There is a large mechanical arm that is attached to the back of the figure that controlled it and made it lunge forward and downward. This element hasn't been removed as far as I know, but it still could be - it is just a machine after all, and can be dismantled into smaller pieces.

As to why the yeti isn't ever fixed - a clear answer has still never been given. Disney refuses to provide an official answer, but various imagineers have given vague and conflicting reasons. Another longtime rumor is that the yeti's structure or foundation are damaged. I'm no structural engineer, but I've seen them and there was no visible damage and no work ever done on it. A stronger theory that some imagineers (who aren't directly linked with Everest) have mentioned is that the figure's movement creates too much force on itself, and this, combined with Disney's increased restrictions on moving mechanical parts over rider's heads (due to an incident on Big Thunder Mountain in Paris), makes them hesitant to even attempt to fix it.

But mostly, the issue is money. There is no reason to fix it, Everest remains wildly popular whether they fix it or not. They could have easily replaced the figure with something more simple by now, or used projection mapping, or anything other than some strobe lights (there are actually three!), but the bean counters do not want to fit the bill.

I'm hoping the ride gets a proper refurbishment and refresh soon. It's been 15 years, and it has never had one. It's pretty rare for a ride to not receive one at least once every 10 years. Currently the rockwork is very faded, as is the snow at the top, and it's covered with grime, for example. I would hope that if they ever properly shut the ride down for an extended period, that would be the time they install a better replacement for the yeti scene.

I would love to see the warehouse inside, drat.

e: I guess this is the most we'll ever see:

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 16, 2021

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wasn't the rumor they were adding a Zootopia area/attraction to AK? It's so painfully obvious.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

I would love to see the warehouse inside, drat.
Somewhere I have some photos I secretly snagged, but this might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdlQH9rffCc

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Yeah I’ve always thought that the reason the yeti hasn’t been fixed is mainly because it would be a huge capacity headache for the park. But it’s also been so long that most people don’t even know or care that the yeti is on b mode.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somewhere I have some photos I secretly snagged, but this might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdlQH9rffCc

thats rad

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Nanigans posted:

Wasn't the rumor they were adding a Zootopia area/attraction to AK? It's so painfully obvious.

The only rumor is that people keep suggesting it. Disney has never said anything one way or another. Typically if it were discussed behind the scenes in any serious matter, there'd be hard evidence leaked online somewhere. Joe Rohde, the park's head Imagineer, is strongly against it. But now that he's out of the picture... who knows? In my opinion, it doesn't fit the park at all. While the film does explore the serious topic of racial prejudice, it also uses humanoid animals as gag vehicles. It wants you to laugh at the animals for their animal traits rather than respecting them, in the similar manner that Bojack Horseman does. The park's mission statement is, paraphrased, "let's explore the ways human life impacts animal life, and also ways it can coexist with it." It's always been emphasized that the animals in the park are to be treated with utmost respect, which is why Jungle Cruise-style jokes on Kilimanjaro Safaris are prohibited.

Like, yes, you have talking animals in the theater shows, but they are at least animal-animals, not humanoid animals. And yes, you have Mickey and the gang, who are also anthropomorphic animals walking around, but they act more as ambassadors of Walt Disney World, you aren't meant to associate them with the park's theme or environment.

But modern Disney is all about sticking IP wherever they can, so we get Frozen and Ratatouille in World Showcase, where they only fit by association. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they go ahead with this anyway now that Joe isn't there to stop them.

And yes, I've thought way too hard about this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Oh poo poo - if you pause at 1:51, the red supports are the support structure for the yeti! (I promise).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The only rumor is that people keep suggesting it. Disney has never said anything one way or another. Typically if it were discussed behind the scenes in any serious matter, there'd be hard evidence leaked online somewhere. Joe Rohde, the park's head Imagineer, is strongly against it. But now that he's out of the picture... who knows? In my opinion, it doesn't fit the park at all. While the film does explore the serious topic of racial prejudice, it also uses humanoid animals as gag vehicles. It wants you to laugh at the animals for their animal traits rather than respecting them, in the similar manner that Bojack Horseman does. The park's mission statement is, paraphrased, "let's explore the ways human life impacts animal life, and also ways it can coexist with it." It's always been emphasized that the animals in the park are to be treated with utmost respect, which is why Jungle Cruise-style jokes on Kilimanjaro Safaris are prohibited.

Like, yes, you have talking animals in the theater shows, but they are at least animal-animals, not humanoid animals. And yes, you have Mickey and the gang, who are also anthropomorphic animals walking around, but they act more as ambassadors of Walt Disney World, you aren't meant to associate them with the park's theme or environment.

But modern Disney is all about sticking IP wherever they can, so we get Frozen and Ratatouille in World Showcase, where they only fit by association. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they go ahead with this anyway now that Joe isn't there to stop them.

What I'd really love is a companion animal area devoted specifically to some of the pets featured throughout Disney franchises. Give me a nice little stall with pet items I can take home to my dogs, re-theme the coasters in a Bolt-thing or whatever, and just give me good stuff with good dogs.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What I'd really love is a companion animal area devoted specifically to some of the pets featured throughout Disney franchises. Give me a nice little stall with pet items I can take home to my dogs, re-theme the coasters in a Bolt-thing or whatever, and just give me good stuff with good dogs.

When I was at MK last week the Emporium has a whole dog and cat section now.

This stuff: https://www.shopdisney.com/home/home-decor/pet-essentials/

Plus like photo frames, mugs and other stuff with Disney dogs too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

When I was at MK last week the Emporium has a whole dog and cat section now.

This stuff: https://www.shopdisney.com/home/home-decor/pet-essentials/

Plus like photo frames, mugs and other stuff with Disney dogs too.

I'm not spending any money at disney until either: the pandemic is over/no longer an issue or they close all parks like responsible people so uh, pretty sure it'll be the first one.

But heck that's a cute thing.

And definitely lends to an awesome little educational area that they could do with a few fun rides and whatnot.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Well, when you put it that way...lol Yeah, I guess I agree.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:hmmyes:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've always been pretty shocked at the lack of decent stuff for me to buy for our pups, especially since they are larger dogs. Only recently have they started having some new items pop up occasionally.

Disney, give me a whole store of pet stuff and pet costumes, do it!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didn't the coop in disney springs have a animal "store"?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

didn't the coop in disney springs have a animal "store"?

It did but nothing for my danes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Zootopia felt like a really easy grab for Disney to cycle out all the Lion King related names and decor they jammed their edutainment full of. Why they didn’t take it was always a little weird.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Related

https://twitter.com/joe_rohde/status/1361484266807300097?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They're thinking on a "there's already an Africa, why not FuturismAfrica?"

Still feels a bit racist though.

Wakanda would be really cool for Epcot at FW you know, like, that Discovery whatever section. Having a Suri meet and greet and maybe let her do a presentation that takes you into some kind of bizarro dark ride. That could be fun.

It won't happen but it could be fun.