Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Nanigans posted:

The Star Wars land should've been set so far into the future of the series that none of the current characters would show up. The sequels left such a bad taste in my mouth that I honestly can't get that excited for the rides anymore. I still like the area overall, but having to see Rey and co. show up in RotR makes an otherwise fun ride kinda meh.

I feel like we will see the land converted to the original trilogy timeline sooner rather than later. It wouldn’t take -that- much work honestly. They already seem to be attempting to sweep the sequel trilogy under the rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm kind of surprised Universal invested so much into the IP for Velocicoaster. From what I hear it's a fantastic coaster on its own, but with Jurassic Park well past its prime and supposedly the final installment about to come out, it seems odd to theme it so heavily.

That's something Disney did right with Pandora. Make the park with an awesome ride, great theming, and decent food long after the boring but inexplicably successful movie came out, but still several years before the second installment hits theaters, use it to promote the hell out of the second film, then expand/update as necessary for the life of the franchise.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Hazo posted:

I'm kind of surprised Universal invested so much into the IP for Velocicoaster. From what I hear it's a fantastic coaster on its own, but with Jurassic Park well past its prime and supposedly the final installment about to come out, it seems odd to theme it so heavily.

That's something Disney did right with Pandora. Make the park with an awesome ride, great theming, and decent food long after the boring but inexplicably successful movie came out, but still several years before the second installment hits theaters, use it to promote the hell out of the second film, then expand/update as necessary for the life of the franchise.

What makes pandora different than velocicoaster is pandora purposely avoids any direct mention of the first Avatar and will probably bear no connection with the subsequent movies. It just uses the setting at some undetermined point in time.

Velocicoaster specifically references Chris Pratt several times.

I think if universal had just taken the idea of the original JP (a perfect movie) and themed loosely around that similar to pandora, it would age much more gracefully.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think Jurassic Park and the general concept of “dinosaur theme park” is timeless at this point. Jurassic World, much less so, but it still has at least a decade out of it before it would feel dated. They opened the coaster a full year before the final installment. Don’t quote me on this but I have heard that a big reason Universal converted the Hollywood ride to Jurassic World and eventually will probably convert the rest of the IOA land is to not have to pay Michael Crichton royalties.

I mean Jurassic Park/World is absolutely more timeless than Guardians of the Galaxy and Tron Legacy.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

What makes pandora different than velocicoaster is pandora purposely avoids any direct mention of the first Avatar and will probably bear no connection with the subsequent movies. It just uses the setting at some undetermined point in time.

Velocicoaster specifically references Chris Pratt several times.

I think if universal had just taken the idea of the original JP (a perfect movie) and themed loosely around that similar to pandora, it would age much more gracefully.

Right, but changing it would involve little more than filming a few new videos and voiceovers to make it more timeless.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

couldcareless posted:

:agreed:

And yeah keeping Pandora limited to "sometime after the first movie kicked out the bad guys" makes it way more accessible and adaptable to whatever James Cameron shits out in the next few movies. Similar concept applies to Galaxy's Edge. Contrast that with Harry Potter in Universal, which kind of locked itself into a specific timeframe and they haven't updated it at all with any material from the three new films and another yet to come.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I mean Jurassic Park/World is absolutely more timeless than Guardians of the Galaxy and Tron Legacy.

Jurassic Park, yes. Jurassic world? No way in hell.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Disney not getting the Potter contract has been great for the entire industry in the long run. The Universal parks were ghost towns before Potter and on the verge of being sold while already being tossed around in ownership (the details are confusing). But Disney passed because they didn’t want to give JK creative control. Disney would have likely given Potter a single ride at Studios with like a movie set theme and a standard gift shop. Universal was willing to do whatever JK wanted and give Potter a whole land. The result was the birth of the ultra immersive, single IP land that has been a huge success in every park and will likely be all that is built for the foreseeable future. Like, we would not have Galaxy’s Edge and Pandora without Potter.

That said I’m getting tired of these ultra specific lands. Universal’s Epic Universe doesn’t interest me at all because it’s nothing but these with no overarching theme and no room for original creations. I also hope they are reconsidering doing a third Potter land in it though it’s probably too late.
Solid points all. The Mario (but really "Super Nintendo" :ssh:) land in the Epic Universe is probably a perfect example of something that will remain largely timeless. The visual language of that franchise is really well established and doesn't exactly change much across generations, but it's so well established that it'll also be really hard to re-theme it if they ever need to.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Honestly I'd even guess that in 10-15 years, Harry Potter will be more known for the theme park stuff than the books at that point. They're dated, problematic, weak, and Rowling is digging herself a freaking media grave at this point.
The parks themselves are based on the films more than the books anyway, so it's pretty much heading that way.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I got to ride Guardians of the Galaxy today. Really cool. The effects were really well done and the coaster itself was a lot of fun. It could get a lot of people sick of you are easily nauseous, though. And Terry Crews is great.

Also I was surprised that watching Eternals is probably more necessary than watching GotG 2 to fully appreciate the attraction.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Solid points all. The Mario (but really "Super Nintendo" :ssh:) land in the Epic Universe is probably a perfect example of something that will remain largely timeless. The visual language of that franchise is really well established and doesn't exactly change much across generations, but it's so well established that it'll also be really hard to re-theme it if they ever need to.

As long as Nintendo is a thing, there will always be new Mario, Mario Kart, and other Nintendo games to use for rides.

Imagine a Pokémon hunt/fight all over a theme park with hidden gyms everywhere. Ride in a Metroid Morph Ball. A VR Link experience. Smash Bros. bumper cars. Excitebike coasters. And so on…

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Nanigans posted:

The Star Wars land should've been set so far into the future of the series that none of the current characters would show up. The sequels left such a bad taste in my mouth that I honestly can't get that excited for the rides anymore. I still like the area overall, but having to see Rey and co. show up in RotR makes an otherwise fun ride kinda meh.

I could probably write the equivalent of a book on this topic, but I feel about the same. I don't necessarily hate the sequel trilogy, but I would have strongly preferred a land that celebrates the franchise across its various eras over a barely "immersive" experience that they never delivered on. Literally everything you get with the Starcruiser is what was supposed to just be part of Galaxy's Edge. I also really dislike that they elected to have identical lands at both DLR and WDW. It would have been way cooler if you went to WDW and that land was themed for say... Naboo, or DLR was Mos Eisley on Tatooine. Something that could be familiar and fit into any era of the saga, and give you another reason to visit multiple Disney parks.

They could also do that right now with what they have since they've commissioned stories to be told around Batuu in several eras. The second Thrawn book half takes place while Anakin is a Jedi knight during the New Republic era, and I believe the other half would have happened not long before the events of A New Hope. I'm sure the comics had to have visited the area at some point, too.

And in other news.... for anyone considering a Disney Cruise anytime soon.

Disney Cruise Line is now requiring COVID tests at guests' expense prior to boarding. As a vaccinated guest, our tests just have to be completed with the results uploaded to their Safe Travel portal within 48 hours or less before we board. Which sucks for us since we'll be sailing out of Vancouver, and trying to test in Alabama on a Saturday. So we will have to thread a needle to make it work, timing-wise. Because of logistics, we'll probably end up just paying $90 apiece to test at the port.

Non-vaccine eligible guests under the age of 5 are required to test at the port before boarding, but at least their embarkation day is paid for by Disney. However, they have to have completed a test about 72 hours prior to that one before traveling. So we will probably have to get our daughter a pediatrician appointment to get that sorted.

I didn't think we would have to pay the equivalent of a port excursion just to board the ship, but it is what it is. I'm very, very hopeful that changes again between now and September.

Meanwhile, if you got COVID and recovered from it within 11 to 90 days of your sail date, don't worry about testing at all. Just come aboard. As long as you provide proof that you actually contracted the virus.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

They could never do a brand new setting (Batuu was already new enough) because average people would have no idea who is who. Nobody would want to meet n greet with characters that don't exist in any media. As it is when we go I'm usually the only person who recognizes Vi Moradi and gets a picture with her. I think most people think she's a cosplayer.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Doronin posted:

I could probably write the equivalent of a book on this topic, but I feel about the same. I don't necessarily hate the sequel trilogy, but I would have strongly preferred a land that celebrates the franchise across its various eras over a barely "immersive" experience that they never delivered on. Literally everything you get with the Starcruiser is what was supposed to just be part of Galaxy's Edge. I also really dislike that they elected to have identical lands at both DLR and WDW. It would have been way cooler if you went to WDW and that land was themed for say... Naboo, or DLR was Mos Eisley on Tatooine. Something that could be familiar and fit into any era of the saga, and give you another reason to visit multiple Disney parks.

They could also do that right now with what they have since they've commissioned stories to be told around Batuu in several eras. The second Thrawn book half takes place while Anakin is a Jedi knight during the New Republic era, and I believe the other half would have happened not long before the events of A New Hope. I'm sure the comics had to have visited the area at some point, too.

And in other news.... for anyone considering a Disney Cruise anytime soon.

Disney Cruise Line is now requiring COVID tests at guests' expense prior to boarding. As a vaccinated guest, our tests just have to be completed with the results uploaded to their Safe Travel portal within 48 hours or less before we board. Which sucks for us since we'll be sailing out of Vancouver, and trying to test in Alabama on a Saturday. So we will have to thread a needle to make it work, timing-wise. Because of logistics, we'll probably end up just paying $90 apiece to test at the port.

Non-vaccine eligible guests under the age of 5 are required to test at the port before boarding, but at least their embarkation day is paid for by Disney. However, they have to have completed a test about 72 hours prior to that one before traveling. So we will probably have to get our daughter a pediatrician appointment to get that sorted.

I didn't think we would have to pay the equivalent of a port excursion just to board the ship, but it is what it is. I'm very, very hopeful that changes again between now and September.

Meanwhile, if you got COVID and recovered from it within 11 to 90 days of your sail date, don't worry about testing at all. Just come aboard. As long as you provide proof that you actually contracted the virus.

Even worse for us, we were showing up to Vancouver a couple days early to do some touristy stuff there, so this forces us to try and find a test in Vancouver or pay the steep cost. I'm trying to find out if the Binaxnow tests we have qualify

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 19, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Silly Burrito posted:

As long as Nintendo is a thing, there will always be new Mario, Mario Kart, and other Nintendo games to use for rides.

Imagine a Pokémon hunt/fight all over a theme park with hidden gyms everywhere. Ride in a Metroid Morph Ball. A VR Link experience. Smash Bros. bumper cars. Excitebike coasters. And so on…
I'm more thinking of a Nintendo takes their ball and goes home scenario.

Doronin posted:

I also really dislike that they elected to have identical lands at both DLR and WDW. It would have been way cooler if you went to WDW and that land was themed for say... Naboo, or DLR was Mos Eisley on Tatooine. Something that could be familiar and fit into any era of the saga, and give you another reason to visit multiple Disney parks.
This doubles the initial cost at a minimum, and then either they have the same merch for each location and you just roll with it or they have exclusives and you get all kind of problems if the supply chain were to get 2020'd.

Now what'd be really cool would be revisiting the Disney Quest idea, except just having regional versions of Oga's that you can go to in random cities around the world.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Regarding Pandora, yes it doesn't reference the first movie....but you're nuts if you don't think they'll try and shoehorn in poo poo from the next ones

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I like how you guys said Nintendo is timeless but the. Yesterday the Saudi prince bought a substantial stake in them lol.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Omne posted:

Regarding Pandora, yes it doesn't reference the first movie....but you're nuts if you don't think they'll try and shoehorn in poo poo from the next ones

I think this will depend heavily on whether or not James Cameron wants to let that happen (or has already agreed to it)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

Jurassic Park, yes. Jurassic world? No way in hell.

I think the idea is that the settings themselves are way more enduring. "Dinosaur zoo park that goes bad" is very obviously great for a theme park, regardless of whether the logo is red or blue, whereas the specific setting of Guardians sort of relies on some sort of appreciation of that particular iteration of the characters. The world that Guardians has set up is particularly interesting outside of the team. Meanwhile, I don't think World fares too much worse than Park in this way. If Grant had shown up on the lift hill monitors I think it would've been as awkward as Owen showing up on them now.

Incidentally I think Tron fares decently from this perspective. No one really cares about Flynn or Tron or Rinzler or...whatever Flynn's kid's name was in the sequel. It's about Vibes more than specifics. Power Run has literally zero characters, right? This is the reason I still hold out hope for a good sequel some day. "The world inside your computer" is a bizarrely unexplored concept considering how ubiquitous these things are. It's a shame Tron 2.0 was way better than Legacy.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 19, 2022

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm stoked for the new Haunted Mansion film just because Guillermo Del Toro is still involved to some capacity

That capacity is that they are using some bits and pieces from his script and thus he legally has to be credited, but that's the extent of it.

Omne posted:

The land is set over 100 years after the first film, so it wouldn't be hard to have some references added, since the new film is set like 15-20 years after the first one, it'd still fit.

And when the land opened it had some nods to the movie, like the statue bust of Neytiri in the gift shop (that was originally made for the D23 Imagineer booth) and the RDA stuff is littered throughout (which are some of my favorite design elements.)

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 19, 2022

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
An easy fix for Galaxy’s Edge is to built the Jedi Temple that is nearby. Then you can have “force ghosts” of Jedi characters from whatever era you want. Or even acolytes who can conjur the spirits of any character, regardless of their force ability.

Dino park is a great theme regardless of IP. Cool alien planet with floating mountains works regardless of IP. And space outpost on the edge of known space also works.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly just take out the rpg element because poo poo don’t work!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly just take out the rpg element because poo poo don’t work!

They are in fact doubling down, both with the Starcruiser for the fancy pants wealthy folks, and the new MagicBand+ stuff that's coming.

Boxman posted:

Incidentally I think Tron fares decently from this perspective. No one really cares about Flynn or Tron or Rinzler or...whatever Flynn's kid's name was in the sequel. It's about Vibes more than specifics. Power Run has literally zero characters, right? This is the reason I still hold out hope for a good sequel some day. "The world inside your computer" is a bizarrely unexplored concept considering how ubiquitous these things are. It's a shame Tron 2.0 was way better than Legacy.

Correct. at least as far as the Shanghai version is concerned. The only familiar characters are the "Sirens" who helped dress Sam Flynn for the games in Legacy, and they appear only in preshow/queue videos

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Starcruiser can work due to how exclusive it is. I hope it becomes cheaper someday.

But the parks can’t have that element because my immersion breaks the moment I see a angry family yelling at each other by the Star Wars toilets.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

A hotmic’ed room where you could meet a projected, remotely interacting jedi hologram character would be extremely cool. Feel bad for the cast member trying to understand a toddler over a mic connection though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I mean that's just Turtle Talk or Monsters Laugh Floor. They have ways of working around not understanding what a guest is telling them. When I auditioned for Monsters, they were very heavy on improvising to get out of rough moments like that.

CelticPredator posted:

The Starcruiser can work due to how exclusive it is. I hope it becomes cheaper someday.

But the parks can’t have that element because my immersion breaks the moment I see a angry family yelling at each other by the Star Wars toilets.

Refreshers! :eng101:

in all seriousness, I understand that. I myself love the Datapad and the gaming element of the land, but yeah, when you turn the corner and see a divorce in the making because someone had too much Jet Fuel at the Cantina, kinda takes you out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would love nothing more than to pretend I’m ina Star Wars.

I wish they could do some kind of horror nights type deal where it’s like cosplay required or something at night so people can play. Also allow Star Wars guns!!

I want to shoot at stormtroopers

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I wish they could do some kind of horror nights type deal where it’s like cosplay required or something at night so people can play. Also allow Star Wars guns!!

so basically what you want is batuu laser tag with stormtrooper cast members

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

I feel like we will see the land converted to the original trilogy timeline sooner rather than later. It wouldn’t take -that- much work honestly. They already seem to be attempting to sweep the sequel trilogy under the rug.

I don't think they can make it specifically OT because there's a lot of merch of stuff that wouldn't have existed in the OT. Being set in the sequels means they can sell PT/OT/ST stuff and it all makes sense. And selling merch is the most important thing to the Mouse.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CelticPredator posted:

same thing happens on Galactic Cruiser, it just costs 6000 dollars

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just set it in some undetermined amount of time in the future, problem solved. Well, except you risk stepping on any sort of story you may or may not use for future star wars properties.

Uhh, why isn't storm trooper laser tag not a feature on the Starcruiser already?

Edit: actually, I guess handing kids what is basically a fantasy gun and telling them to shoot and kill people would be a little iffy.

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 19, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CelticPredator posted:

Only a few things in life are certain: Death, Taxes, and Disney raising prices every year.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

so basically what you want is batuu laser tag with stormtrooper cast members

gently caress yeah

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

CelticPredator posted:

Refreshers! :eng101:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

in all seriousness, I understand that. I myself love the Datapad and the gaming element of the land, but yeah, when you turn the corner and see a divorce in the making because someone had too much Jet Fuel at the Cantina, kinda takes you out.

Jet Juice :eng101::eng101:

CelticPredator posted:

This was the Void in Disney Springs. Bring it back you cowards! Even if it's just part of the Starcruiser! :argh:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress yeah

yeah that might be enough to make me break my 2+ year quarantine.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hazo posted:

This was the Void in Disney Springs. Bring it back you cowards! Even if it's just part of the Starcruiser! :argh:

The IP changed hands a couple times but there have been signs of life recently. I really hope it makes it back. I regret not doing it at the Springs or in Vegas when I had the chance.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People need to calm the gently caress down. The Star Wars sequels aren’t fun to you because they’re not YOUR childhood, but they do make for a bunch of childhoods right now and in twenty years that will make a lot more sense.

We already see Prequel Nostalgia. There will be Sequel Nostalgia, mark my word.

Take it from an Old Millennial: WDW had all kinds of ‘dated’ bullshit from The Lion King everywhere in 2007, and most of it is still there even if it’s just harmless nomenclature like Rafiki’s Planet Watch, but as much as I could feel 1994 everywhere I go in WDW I know it’s a savvy business move because The Lion King is probably the nostalgic childhood of many people reading this. I was already a snarky cynical teenager for that movie, but for a lot of people a bit younger than me it’s still an emotionally important thing.

Anyway, Walt Disney opened Disneyland with Sleeping Beauty’s Castle before Sleeping Beauty was even released in theaters. Arguing about the timelessness of IP seems kind of silly in that prism.

I think the biggest problem with Star Wars (and Marvel) as an in-park property is that under Lucas there was a lot more fan control of the community, and so if you’re Disney you’re taking something that has been cosplayed at Comic-Con for years and going “look it’s the real Darth Vader!” as though I haven’t seen suits with the same or even better detail trawling aisles of anime girl figurines in San Diego.

Disney was traditionally way more lawsuit-happy with their IP than Lucasfilm or pre-merger Marvel was. As such these properties don’t have the “only at Disneyland” vibe you get from meeting Belle or Pooh.

worms butthole guy posted:

I like how you guys said Nintendo is timeless but the. Yesterday the Saudi prince bought a substantial stake in them lol.

How does that change anything? A Saudi Prince (the same one?) owned a stake in EuroDisney for twenty years. It’s only a problem to terminally online people who feel their values require them to take a stand anytime something they like is Milkshake Duck’ed in the slightest.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 19, 2022

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

People need to calm the gently caress down. The Star Wars sequels aren’t fun to you because they’re not YOUR childhood, but they do make for a bunch of childhoods right now and in twenty years that will make a lot more sense.

why are you yelling at us

also I don't think you're going to get nostalgia out of rey. it's an okay story, it's not something the world is still wildly buzzing about.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

why are you yelling at us

also I don't think you're going to get nostalgia out of rey. it's an okay story, it's not something the world is still wildly buzzing about.

old millenial here. I never thought I'd see people nostalgic for the prequels, but zoomers are totally in love with them. the same thing will happen with the sequels.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

old millenial here. I never thought I'd see people nostalgic for the prequels, but zoomers are totally in love with them. the same thing will happen with the sequels.

I'm 36 this year so I sort of get it; it's us going "oh wow the 80s" in the early aughts. but media feels so much more saturated these days like, I dunno how to explain this; it feels like they're going to have so many more options that they won't hit that button so hard in 20 years.

not like I'll be alive to see it anyhow but it seems that way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
People will absolutely feel nostalgic for the sequels in 20 years, yes.

That doesn't make me or most people enjoy that the park is set in their timeline right now.