Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nanigans posted:

People will absolutely feel nostalgic for the sequels in 20 years, yes.

That doesn't make me or most people enjoy that the park is set in their timeline right now.

How do you know what most people enjoy? It's fair to say you don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

alg posted:

How do you know what most people enjoy? It's fair to say you don't like it.

True enough.

I'd say the fact that Disney has essentially halted merchandise and media of almost any kind for the sequel trilogy to focus on The Mandalorian and the extended universe coming from that, or OT nostalgia in Obi-Wan Kenobi or both with Book of Boba Fett is one indicator that people don't really like the sequels too much.

Also, you know, the internet exists.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nanigans posted:

True enough.

I'd say the fact that Disney has essentially halted merchandise and media of almost any kind for the sequel trilogy to focus on The Mandalorian and the extended universe coming from that, or OT nostalgia in Obi-Wan Kenobi or both with Book of Boba Fett is one indicator that people don't really like the sequels too much.

Also, you know, the internet exists.

The Mandalorian is a bridge between the OT and the sequels. It's essentially filling a gap that it turns out people really wanted to hear about. The Skywalker saga is over, not because every fan hated the sequels, but because the story is done. Of course they are going other directions to try and find new stories to tell.

Reddit and SA are absolutely not a good guage of public opinion, I think

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Disney merch moves lightning fast. If stuff on the shelves isn't constantly fresh, people stop popping into stores. As far as Disney is concerned, the sequel trilogy is ancient, Mando is the new hotness. Once the next successful SW property rolls through, you'll see another clean sweep (where's my star wars visions stuff Disney!)

Also, I will patiently wait for someone to give me a breakdown of Rise of Skywalker and explain to me that actually it was good.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

not like I'll be alive to see it anyhow but it seems that way!

You're going to outlive all of us out of spite

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 20, 2022

alg
Mar 14, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Disney merch moves lightning fast. If stuff on the shelves isn't constantly fresh, people stop popping into stores. As far as Disney is concerned, the sequel trilogy is ancient, Mando is the new hotness. Once the next successful SW property rolls through, you'll see another clean sweep (where's my star wars visions stuff Disney!)

Also, I will patiently wait for someone to give me a breakdown of Rise of Skywalker and explain to me that actually it was good.

You're going to outlive all of us out of spite

there was Visions merch, but you missed it

there might be new merch when the manga comes out

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Uh Rey is pretty darn popular with little girls who have seen Star Wars. And while the sequels have significant flaws, I will say that if I had been little girl me watching those movies like I watched the originals, my parents wouldn’t have been able to shut me up about them. It would’ve been magic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BlueBayou posted:

An easy fix for Galaxy’s Edge is to built the Jedi Temple that is nearby. Then you can have “force ghosts” of Jedi characters from whatever era you want. Or even acolytes who can conjur the spirits of any character, regardless of their force ability.
They already built it. It's the queue for Rise of the Resistance.

alg posted:

there was Visions merch, but you missed it

there might be new merch when the manga comes out
There were cool things in Visions that I would have liked some merch of.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
But the only Star Wars ride that is saturated in the sequels is RotR. Smuggler’s Run is an “after the films” story, and Star Tours includes everything, and both of those rides are video games in a sense that can be patched later on to include more material if they need it.

It’s kind of understandable that the ride big on animatronics and huge set pieces is built on the new thing. It not only serves as an advertisement for the new Disney projects, but kids now will want to see it when they’re adults, which they aren’t going to want to do for movies from 30 years before they were born.

Like a lot of people around age 40 I think of 1987-1993 as some golden age for entertainment, with Star Wars on home video being a big part of that. But I don’t think the OT3 is going to hold the same sway over the streaming service generation as it did those of us who remember the Disney Vault. At least Rey showed up in toys and movie theaters.

EDIT: VVVVVVV This is absolutely going to happen.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 20, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

ONLY GEN Z WILL REMEMBER THESE

1. BABY YODA

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Craptacular! posted:

People need to calm the gently caress down. The Star Wars sequels aren’t fun to you because they’re not YOUR childhood, but they do make for a bunch of childhoods right now and in twenty years that will make a lot more sense.

We already see Prequel Nostalgia. There will be Sequel Nostalgia, mark my word.

Take it from an Old Millennial: WDW had all kinds of ‘dated’ bullshit from The Lion King everywhere in 2007, and most of it is still there even if it’s just harmless nomenclature like Rafiki’s Planet Watch, but as much as I could feel 1994 everywhere I go in WDW I know it’s a savvy business move because The Lion King is probably the nostalgic childhood of many people reading this. I was already a snarky cynical teenager for that movie, but for a lot of people a bit younger than me it’s still an emotionally important thing.

I think most people in this thread (and on SA in general) are probably in their late 20s-30s-early 40s, and are perfectly aware of Zoomers who love the awful prequels. So I agree with what you're saying, but also

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

why are you yelling at us

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The prequels rule. I don’t like them but I love that people are liking them. I’ve had enough hearing why they suck. Who gives a fuccccck.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CelticPredator posted:

The prequels rule. I don’t like them but I love that people are liking them. I’ve had enough hearing why they suck. Who gives a fuccccck.

Hey to each their own, I'm not making this a prequel argument thread. I just remember being in right about the target age range (grew up in the 90s resurgence of Star Wars EU and The Phantom Menace came out when I was in 8th grade) and realizing they were just ok (saw RotS like five times in theaters though).

I guess what annoys me the most are the prequel-loving dickheads who unironically use the words "social justice warrior" and "Mary Sue" to decribe the prequels, but think posting "HELLO THERE" is the pinnacle of wit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just think we need to move on from being mad at Star Wars

Also I said I’m not a fan of them.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Who gives a fuccccck.

Me. :mad:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars owns you lost

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
This is honestly the most healthy star wars discussion I've seen in awhile.

Also, the true mark that I'm getting old is seeing the zoomers loving something I greatly disliked at that age. It's like a right of passage.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
They probably should have just built tatooine. Its supposed to be this backwater planet that nobody goes to and theres nothing there and its desolate and run by gangster hutts. But everyone and their sister keeps going there anyway, so gently caress it, build that as the land. Then everyone from Anakin to Rey to Luke to Mando can be there

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CelticPredator posted:

I just think we need to move on from being mad at Star Wars

:yeah:

I think on my last trip I finally finished all the Datapad quests in Galaxy's Edge, and scanned everything. I love going with people for the first time and being like "now watch that tower" before I activate it and watching them be like "how did you do that."

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It ruined yoda and Darth Vader but at least it gave us Jar Jar

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm sure there will be a certain amount of nostalgia for the sequels, but ending the series on the soulless wet fart that was The Rise of Skywalker will probably kill a lot of it. An empty black hole of a movie that makes the whole trilogy look worse in retrospect.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
My only huge gripe about the sequels (and thus their inclusion in things like theparks) is that it would have been so easy to have a meeting, sit down and say "Okay. Here is the overall story arc for these three films. Here are the beats that have to be hit in each film, here is where it needs to conclude. The filmmakers and screenwriters can play with what comes in between" and treat it almost like a TV show. Instead they just focued on each individual film in each individual production and it's a mess when you add all three together. Force Awakens is a wonderfully servicable reboot and rentry into the story. Last Jedi turns the story on it's head in ways that I really enjoyed, and then Rise of Skywalker just...happened. But together they do not form a cohesive trilogy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I'm sure there will be a certain amount of nostalgia for the sequels, but ending the series on the soulless wet fart that was The Rise of Skywalker will probably kill a lot of it. An empty black hole of a movie that makes the whole trilogy look worse in retrospect.

10 years ago nobody could have convinced me that anyone would ever be nostalgic for the prequels for many of the same reasons people hate the sequels (minus the white nationalism and sexism backed up by death threats) but here we are

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Has anyone had luck getting Covid refunds on tickets? It seems they should be doing it, they wouldn’t want people testing positive in the park. We’re negative but people we are with are positive, so we’re not going to the parks for our other two days on our tickets even though we are negative, out of caution. It would be nice to get a refund.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
It wouldn't be that hard to switch Galaxy's Edge to the Mandalorian timeline, but that would require money. That doesn't stop me from imagining Rise of the Resistance with Kylo replaced with Moff Gideon, his Darksaber cutting a hole in the elevator roof, Mando replacing Finn in the AT-AT bay, and Grogu being the hidden mickey in most scenes.

While the sequels will definitely get their nostalgia, they'll compete with the whole Filoni-Favreau-universe of Clone Wars - Rebels - Mando & Spin-offs that have gathered fans of all generations.

Unrelated, the Tron ride benefits from largely being a modern version of the 80s retro-future. Honestly, I'd love for Tomorrowland just to be a world where retro-future is celebrated. Like how the Carousel of Progress is more about how the past saw the future than anything at this point.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Chainclaw posted:

Has anyone had luck getting Covid refunds on tickets? It seems they should be doing it, they wouldn’t want people testing positive in the park. We’re negative but people we are with are positive, so we’re not going to the parks for our other two days on our tickets even though we are negative, out of caution. It would be nice to get a refund.

You can ask but they generally do not refund.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The prequels are vision without execution. The sequels are execution without vision

Vision wins out in the end.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Someone clearly hasn't seen infinity war.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

My only huge gripe about the sequels (and thus their inclusion in things like theparks) is that it would have been so easy to have a meeting, sit down and say "Okay. Here is the overall story arc for these three films. Here are the beats that have to be hit in each film, here is where it needs to conclude. The filmmakers and screenwriters can play with what comes in between" and treat it almost like a TV show. Instead they just focued on each individual film in each individual production and it's a mess when you add all three together. Force Awakens is a wonderfully servicable reboot and rentry into the story. Last Jedi turns the story on it's head in ways that I really enjoyed, and then Rise of Skywalker just...happened. But together they do not form a cohesive trilogy.

:hmmyes:

SimplyCosmic posted:

It wouldn't be that hard to switch Galaxy's Edge to the Mandalorian timeline, but that would require money. That doesn't stop me from imagining Rise of the Resistance with Kylo replaced with Moff Gideon, his Darksaber cutting a hole in the elevator roof, Mando replacing Finn in the AT-AT bay, and Grogu being the hidden mickey in most scenes.

While the sequels will definitely get their nostalgia, they'll compete with the whole Filoni-Favreau-universe of Clone Wars - Rebels - Mando & Spin-offs that have gathered fans of all generations.

:hai:

BlueBayou posted:

The prequels are vision without execution. The sequels are execution without vision

Vision wins out in the end.

:yeah:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Quick question- I had already booked a WDW resort stay for 2023, before ticket/package availability for that time. Is there a benefit to getting the tickets through Disney/turning the stay into a package vs getting the tickets through my employer’s legit vendor at a slight but meaningful discount and adding those to My Disney Experience?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

disney doesn't care about covid beyond the cruise lines which is probably government mandated. your friends could go cough on every child in that park and stick a "you got covid!" sticker with a mickey theme on their forehead and they wouldn't get thrown out for the covid bit. probably the sticker thing though.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

couldcareless posted:

Even worse for us, we were showing up to Vancouver a couple days early to do some touristy stuff there, so this forces us to try and find a test in Vancouver or pay the steep cost. I'm trying to find out if the Binaxnow tests we have qualify

Yeah I have a pile of tests, but I don't think any of them are the right one. I have a feeling I'm just going to end up paying the price at the port, too. But if I find a good solution either in BC or home testing, I'll DM you what I find.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BadSamaritan posted:

Quick question- I had already booked a WDW resort stay for 2023, before ticket/package availability for that time. Is there a benefit to getting the tickets through Disney/turning the stay into a package vs getting the tickets through my employer’s legit vendor at a slight but meaningful discount and adding those to My Disney Experience?

If you want the tickets to be refundable if you have to cancel your trip, then you should get them as a room/ticket package. If you cancel a room/ticket package before final payment then everything is fully refundable. You can also defer the payment on those tickets til 30 days before check in. If you buy your tickets separately you have to pay for them in full at the time of purchase plus they will not be refundable if you are unable to use them.

Doronin posted:

Yeah I have a pile of tests, but I don't think any of them are the right one. I have a feeling I'm just going to end up paying the price at the port, too. But if I find a good solution either in BC or home testing, I'll DM you what I find.

The only home tests that cruise lines will accept are the proctored ones. We buy ours from Optum Store and they're 69.99 for 2 tests. You take it over a video call with a person who will verify the results. Cruise lines will accept these results. I've done it plenty of times.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

They probably should have just built tatooine. Its supposed to be this backwater planet that nobody goes to and theres nothing there and its desolate and run by gangster hutts. But everyone and their sister keeps going there anyway, so gently caress it, build that as the land. Then everyone from Anakin to Rey to Luke to Mando can be there

I wouldn't be surprised if they considered doing this at some point, but I feel like the fact that it rains every day in Florida would have really broken the immersion. :v:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Upsidads posted:

It ruined yoda and Darth Vader but at least it gave us Jar Jar

Yoda was ruined by Return of the Jedi because the Leia twin reveal retroactively makes him look like a dumbass.

Luke: My friends are being tortured to death! I have to save them!

Yoda: No, you're too important, Luke. You should let that bus full of kids drow-- I mean, you should let your friends die. I'm telling you, let Leia and the others die. Don't be a hero, or you'll become a villain or probably die. I don't know, you suck and I have no faith in you whatsoever. You're better off just letting Leia and the rest die.

Luke: I'm sorry, but I have to try.

Yoda: Well! Good thing we have Leia to fall back on.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Braksgirl posted:

The only home tests that cruise lines will accept are the proctored ones. We buy ours from Optum Store and they're 69.99 for 2 tests. You take it over a video call with a person who will verify the results. Cruise lines will accept these results. I've done it plenty of times.

That's what the binaxnow ones are, so I'm hoping those work. I'm gonna wait for after that new policy kicks in then try and read some trip reports.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

That's what the binaxnow ones are, so I'm hoping those work. I'm gonna wait for after that new policy kicks in then try and read some trip reports.

Are they proctored though? Through emed? Because if they are, they will work. DCL's new rules are the same as everyone else's now so there's no reason you can't use them. I've used them with both Carnival and Princess since October with no issues.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, I need to do a FaceTime call with a rep that tells me each step of the process and when to do it while observing I do it properly. I assume that fits the bill.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yep! That's the process. It's really easy.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Gavok posted:

Yoda was ruined by Return of the Jedi because the Leia twin reveal retroactively makes him look like a dumbass.

Luke: My friends are being tortured to death! I have to save them!

Yoda: No, you're too important, Luke. You should let that bus full of kids drow-- I mean, you should let your friends die. I'm telling you, let Leia and the others die. Don't be a hero, or you'll become a villain or probably die. I don't know, you suck and I have no faith in you whatsoever. You're better off just letting Leia and the rest die.

Luke: I'm sorry, but I have to try.

Yoda: Well! Good thing we have Leia to fall back on.

Something something Yoda’s foresight let him see Lando would save Leia something something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

If you want the tickets to be refundable if you have to cancel your trip, then you should get them as a room/ticket package. If you cancel a room/ticket package before final payment then everything is fully refundable. You can also defer the payment on those tickets til 30 days before check in. If you buy your tickets separately you have to pay for them in full at the time of purchase plus they will not be refundable if you are unable to use them.

Great, thank you! That’s a good reason with two little germ factory kids.