Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

SOooooo what shoudl I do in Philly!

Lick the Liberty Bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
already did at the magic kingdom :smug:

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

My plans changed so now i'm spending like 6 days in Philly, 3 of which are at a travel expo lol . Bye DC :qq:

I was kind of dragged to the liberty bell/independence hall, and ended up having a blast. Was far cooler than I expected. I also went to a house owned by E.A.Poe that's turned into a museum that was fun if you like his stuff.

But top tip, try out *all* the cheesesteak places. At least once.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

My plans changed so now i'm spending like 6 days in Philly, 3 of which are at a travel expo lol . Bye DC :qq:

Like others said, try a cheesesteak. I went to Philly four years ago for a work DR exercise and we worked so much that we didn't have time to see anything at all. If that ever happens again I'm leaving a day early to see the sights.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Eat delicious food at Reading Terminal.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like cheese so im afraid to ask for a cheesesteak without cheese :qq:

thanks for all the other pro tips. Reading Terminal was definitely on the list, along with the bell and the Mutter Museum

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm sorry but I don't understand the words "don't", "like", and "cheese" in that order.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I wouldn't write off the unique combination of cheese, steak, and hoagie so easily.

I can understand not wanting cheese for dietary or ethical reasons but.... really.... try it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Learn how to order a cheesesteak before going into a shop, especially if it's busy. Pro tip.

Also, this is a scary proposition:
https://www.local10.com/theme-parks/report-disney-world-may-discontinue-resort-s-monorail-system

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
cheese wiz isn't cheese so there you go

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I could accept a temporary shutdown of the Epcot beam to allow for more extensive refurbs on the trains, but.... closing it entirely? No thanks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nimper posted:

I could accept a temporary shutdown of the Epcot beam to allow for more extensive refurbs on the trains, but.... closing it entirely? No thanks.

I can't see this being feasible at all unless Disney has some ace up their sleeve we don't know about. Monorails and boats are the only way for the 90% of guests who drive to get to the Magic Kingdom, and the amount of traffic they get is so high that even the monorails end up with a backup. If they can't replace the monorail with a system that has an equal or higher guest capacity very very quickly, the transportation backups will be at a level of insanity rarely seen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

couldcareless posted:

Learn how to order a cheesesteak before going into a shop, especially if it's busy. Pro tip.

https://www.local10.com/theme-parks/report-disney-world-may-discontinue-resort-s-monorail-system

Close the monorail and I've got no incentive at all to stay at those resorts. That's a huge draw for me.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
This might be my imagination, but I've been hearing about the monorails being down a LOT over the past couple years. I know they're old, but what causes the breakdowns? It can't be one of the trains, because they can just wheel it into the maintenance bay & replace it, right? If the whole system is down because of a problem with the track, that's odd because it has virtually no moving parts.

If the problem is old trains, poo poo Disney, spend a zillion dollars and replace them. The monorail system is central to that resort functioning properly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lincoln posted:

If the problem is old trains, poo poo Disney, spend a zillion dollars and replace them. The monorail system is central to that resort functioning properly.

Hello, Bombardier? Have I got a deal for you...

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dren posted:

cheese wiz isn't cheese so there you go

And that is really the only way to get a proper cheesesteak anyway. Who the heck wants provolone

I echo the sentiment that if they let the monorails fade out of existence they have to have some sort of backup plan because people aren't going to shell out $300-500 a night to stay at Contemporary when you don't get that awesome perk.

No loss for me, our DVC home is in Wilderness Lodge, the actual best top resort :smug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How is The Contemporary compared to other deluxes? Have they kept the rooms modern and worth it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think old trains might be it. It's the most heavily used monorail line in the world in terms of passenger capacity and the trains haven't been replaced since 1989; the newest parts are the end cabs for Peach, which were made to fit the undamaged middle sections from Purple that crashed. There's gotta be a limit to how much you can refurbish them and replace old parts.

For what it's worth, Disney has denied the rumors.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Minnie Vans for free could offload a lot of it.

And I’ll try cheesesteak lol

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm dead serious about learning the terminology when ordering. You will make someone angry.
And seriously, get the wiz

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I will look that up for sure

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Oh yeah I will look that up for sure

"provolone wit"

all you need to know

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I looked it up but couldn’t figure out how to order without cheese :qq:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nimper posted:

Hello, Bombardier? Have I got a deal for you...

Bombardier offered Disney deeply discounted replacement trains and they turned them down.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I looked it up but couldn’t figure out how to order without cheese :qq:

There's a reason for that.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bombardier offered Disney deeply discounted replacement trains and they turned them down.

Sigh. Disney! Why gently caress everything up?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Speaking of the Epcot monorail, I'll be staying at YC. How feasible is it to take the monorail from MK back to the hotel vs a bus?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fejsze posted:

Speaking of the Epcot monorail, I'll be staying at YC. How feasible is it to take the monorail from MK back to the hotel vs a bus?

This would only really work if you are leaving the park mid-day. MK often closes after Epcot (or at the same time) so you'd be unable to go through Epcot to get to YC if it was at/after MK close.

If you did it during the day, it'd be a longer trip, but it involved walking through some of world showcase which is never a bad thing (unless it's a busy food and wine day, then it's a totally bad thing)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

The headline for this article changed

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm engaged now

Got free ice cream out of the deal it was totally worth it

e: I totally bought just engaged pins off eBay since Disney doesn't give them out anymore. A few cast members were really confused

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Those pins are going to get you a lot of free stuff.
Also, congrats!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We're already at the airport on the way home. I stupidly had the pin covered by my sweater all day so all we got was the ice cream

Was worth just for the ice cream

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I will post for real when I'm not phone posting

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Renegret posted:

I'm engaged now

Got free ice cream out of the deal it was totally worth it

e: I totally bought just engaged pins off eBay since Disney doesn't give them out anymore. A few cast members were really confused

:3: Congratulations honey

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

If anyone wants their rear end kicked in, meet me in front of aloha isle in the next thirty minutes. Also if you could please brings some cold weather gloves(M) I'd appreciate it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Made it to DLR today. Having the first dole whip of the trip. Now it’s tiki bird time

Edit: surprised how light the crowds are. Last year was much busier at this time. With run Disney cancelled and the local pass blacked out crowds were not bad at all

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 14, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
quick poll

what does the thread prefer

regular dole whip or the dole whip float with pineapple juice thrown in.

I like the float

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The float made me feel ill.

I prefer the orange swirl.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just the Dole whip, rest of my family likes the float better.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Float 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Neither :smug: