Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Holy poo poo I had no idea there was a WDW thread on here. I go every single year. I've stayed at Caribbean Beach seven times now, but while I was there this year, I booked a bounce back with free dining at Coronado. I've never stepped foot on that resort, but my parents love it, and I'm real excited. I'd be happy to help in this thread.

e: Big River Grille owns and it's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm torn between Port Orleans, Shades of Green and going nuts on Boardwalk or Beach Club. Tell me what I want?

I hate purple and I hate headboards that have bars. I'm allergic to peppers and mushrooms and I'm a vegetarian. Husband's allergic to nuts and hates tons and tons of noise but loves ice cream and desserts like wow- and to be perfectly honest that's the only reason I'm eyeballing Beach Club is because of Beaches and Cream's kitchen sink. Because he can probably eat it himself. Less walking is probably a good thing because one of my knees is grinding again, and husband is pretty meh about the idea of renting a car. I know he'd like the option to have a king bed, but it isn't a thing he'd be upset over if we "only" had a queen. And it'll be our 10th anniversary.

I mean, I'm not disney stupid and generally have some idea of things. I just can't decide (he doesn't really care about hotels as long as it's got a soft bed) and haven't been to florida in a hell of a long time. Riverside's kinda losing some points in the food department because of my allergies though, even though I'm in love with the place. Caribbean died out because it's so drat big; neither of us is gonna want to deal with that at the end of the day.

I think you guys would really enjoy Beach Club if you're okay with going nuts. It's pretty close together. Also, just in case, literally every restaurant on property will have the head chef come out to you and ask what you're allergic to and will even make weird poo poo not on the menu. They're super, super good about that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'll be there Sept 17th-25th (of course I leave the day F&W starts) with a free dining bounceback. We get to make our ADRs in about a month and I'm so stoked. This is my third September trip in a row.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Douchebag posted:

In June I'll be down at WDW for a week, we are going to hit Universal for a day. What is the better plan, rent a car or use the various transportation options available?

I'm thinking a rental car because from what I have seen the round trip cost for 4 or 5 on the Mears shuttles is expensive.

I did this the past year and used a Mears car with four people. Honestly I think it was kinda worth it if you're willing to take the hit. Round trip was $100 even, so $25 each. But the dude picked us up right at Caribbean Beach and then return dropped us off at Epcot to catch Illuminations. It was pretty great.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Circutron posted:

Hat's down.

Good. I went as a little kid to MGM and always thought this was so awkward. I do hope they move it, though. I think moving it to the big rear end entrance to Fantasmic would be sick.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Booked my ADRs for my September trip. Managed to nab BOG lunch since you're just there for the atmosphere anyways. Loved it last year. I have an extra table credit but since I'm going at a dead time, I figure we'll just walk into something.

Bongo's, Spice Road Table, Yak & Yeti (my fav restaurant), Ohana, Sci-Fi, Beaches & Cream, Tusker House Dinner (loved the breakfast last year). Sooo excited.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

couldcareless posted:

Bongos is probably my favorite downtown Disney dining. I especially love the mojitos with the cane stick as garnish. I'm also a huge fan of Cuban food and sitting outdoors.
drat I wish I was there right now...

Yeah the couple we go with every year went last year and loved it. We do DD our first night we land every year because it really sucks hitting a park on a travel day. We did Raglan Road last year and loved it. Excited to try Bongos mainly because I also really love mojitos.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

My husband and I are going to Disney after my graduation in mid-May :dance: He hasn't been in twenty years, and I've never been (or traveled for anything but business or family).

These are the restaurant reservations I have atm:
Raglan Road
Biergarten
Sanaa
Chefs de France
T-REX
Any of those totally not worth going to other than maybe T-REX? Any other food recommendations (for table service), especially breakfast ones?

Also, I'm glad Disney World is such a goddamned popular thing, because it makes it easier to find tons of info about disneyworld rides + fear of heights. I still want to try ride Space Mountain and Splash mountain, and watching POV videos I think has helped, but I don't know if I actually will. And you couldn't get me anywhere near ToT. No. I know there's plenty of other stuff to do, though, so if need be, my husband can go ride scary stuff while I do something else.

I've heard mixed things about Biergarten, but T-Rex I agree that it can go. Go to the bar and save some money since you still get the atmosphere.

E: Recommendations. Replace T-Rex with Yak & Yeti, or Ohana. I also really really enjoy Coral Reef. As mentioned, Tusker House Breakfast is incredible. The spread is awesome. It's also character dining though if you're not into that.

I'm deathly afraid of heights and both Splash Mountain and ToT are two of my faves. I agree that believe it or not, ToT is a lot smoother of a drop and also is just themed incredibly well. It also helps that it's all indoors.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 2, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's also worth noting that while the drop sequence in ToT is entirely randomized, a fake drop is always guaranteed, and so is a complete drop from top to bottom. You just don't notice because it's going super fast. God I love that ride.

The Tokyo version sounds metal as hell.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

We'll see; if I can handle the mountains without freaking out too bad, I'll maybe try ToT, but the feeling of my stomach dropping is pretty awful to me. but, what makes that fear better??? DOING IT

We do have a dining plan (just Disney Dining plan 1x snack + quick service + table service per night). Even more excited for Sanaa now. Kicking out T-Rex.

THAT'S why I don't want to do it. That feeling is like, insta panic attack for me.

If the drop for you is too much and you still want a thrill, give Expedition Everest a go. It's intense but very smooth throughout and the drop isn't that bad. The theming is incredible and it's my favorite ride overall. Again, deathly afraid of heights, but the chain going up provides a crazy view. It may be worth doing that first and seeing if you become more open to trying ToT.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Sanaa looks awesome, and it was on the short list for our trip later this year. Ultimately we decided to do Boma instead, since we'd never been.

My wife and I each chose one restaurant we'd eaten at before (mine was Ohana, hers was Restaurant Marrakesh), and we've resolved to eating all new places for everything else -- even counter-service.

Here's what we ended up with for dinner reservations:
- Boma
- Flying Fish Cafe
- Be Our Guest
- Ohana
- Restaurant Marrakesh

We're also doing a breakfast at Kona Cafe and a lunch at Beaches and Cream. Last time we went, we booked reservations for almost every meal, and it always felt like we were chasing the next restaurant. This time we're going to be more flexible for breakfast/lunch.

That's a great list. Boma is really great. I always tell people with the deluxe dining plan to downgrade because nobody needs that much food and you literally spend your whole trip eating. The standard tier plan is perfect. Also most resorts have snack stands now when you check out to use up your remaining snack points (if any). It's super awesome.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

We decided not to do any dining plan this time.

The savings just isn't that great anymore (last time we went, the basic plan included an appetizer AND gratuity). I also felt obligated to eat more than I wanted -- at most places we normally wouldn't want to get two appetizers AND two desserts, but they were "free" at that point, so why not?

This time we're just going to eat whatever we want and try not to look at the menu prices when ordering.

Good call. Unless you get free dining, the dining plan definitely doesn't make sense because you're not going to eat like a psychopath (dessert with QS AND Table, jesus) and can go at your own pace. Lots of people get it for convenience, but it's literally throwing money away.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

You can only select 3 per day, and when the final one expires, you can pick more using kiosks in the park. This doesn't have to be in the same park. So for example, if you use up your 3 at MK and have park hopper, you can then go to an Epcot kiosk and get another fastpass etc. My Disney Experience will let you choose three and then give you three different options based on what you would like to do. The site won't take your reservations into consideration so just jot those times down for when you book your FP+. Even if you miss your Fastpass or Disney gives you one you won't use, you're not obligated to do it.

One other important thing to remember is the attraction tiers. You may choose 1 from "Group A" and then 2 from "Group B." Group A attractions are ones with consistently high wait times. The exception to this is Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom which doesn't tier anything. One more thing to keep in mind is that Pirates of the Caribbean is closed from 5/11-9/25. Everything below is of course dependent on what you think your family will want to do. I've included pretty much all of the thrill rides, which even the most intense are still pretty tame compared to a lot of parks. Don't know if you've ever gone before, so apologies if it sounds like a first-timer thing.

My recommendations:

6/5: MK
Space Mountain
Seven Dwarfs Mine
Peter Pan's Flight
Your Ohana reservation is a perfect time because you'll see Wishes while you eat. They even play it through the speakers of the restaurant.

6/6: MK (If you don't end up going on the first day, use the above as those three seem to have the highest) Otherwise:
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Anna and Elsa if your kids are into the character stuff.
Alternative: Use it for the Electrical Parade, which is sort of a roped off area. Wishes you can see from anywhere in the park more or less. Obviously, go for Main Street.

6/7: AK
Kilamanjaro Safaris
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
Alternative: (Swap one of these for Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo The Musical)

6/8: Epcot
Group A: Soarin' or Test Track. Unfortunately, both have about equal waits in the Summer.
Group B: Mission Space and Turtle Talk/Character Spot
Walk around the countries after dinner and camp out for Illuminations at about 8pm. My favorite place to watch it is in the Outpost between China and Germany, or Canada.

6/9: Hollywood
Group A: Rock'N Rollercoaster or Toy Story Mania. TSM always has the longer wait, but not by much. Don't use this on Fantasmic but rather get there early. Also get to the gate across from Rock N Rollercoaster about 8ish. They start seating at 830. There's also a later show at 1030. The Fastpass seating for it kinda sucks.
Group B: Tower of Terror & Star Tours

6/10: Hit whatever park you think you will want to visit more than once. My guess is it will probably be Magic Kingdom.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 6, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

What quick service places do you like best?

Great table service list!

Quick Service:

Magic Kingdom:
Pecos Bill. It's a "build your own burger" joint, but I've always found it to be significantly better than the rest because it has the best topping bar.
Be Our Guest loving rules for the atmosphere. Food is decent. Don't be intimidated by the no reservations. I've seen dudes holding clipboards asking people if they want to eat there for dinner or taking lunch reservations.
Sleepy Hollow is more of a dessert-place but has some rad chicken-waffle sandwiches.
People like to poo poo on Cosmic Rays, but you can get a wide variety of items there.

Epcot:
Sunshine Seasons in The Land is one of the best food courts on property easily.
Yorkshire County Fish Shop in England
Tangierine Cafe in Morocco
L'Artisan des Glaces in France makes some crazy good ice cream
Electric Umbrella in Future World can be hit or miss, but it's your standard QS fare.

Hollywood Studios:
Studio Catering Company (Just got a new menu like two weeks ago) American fare.
ABC Commissary is similar to Electric Umbrella, but changes it up a bit. Good desserts too. I think you're going around the time Frozen stuff will be back. Get the Olaf cupcake if you go here.
Sunset Ranch Market is a great place to get your turkey leg fix.
Stay the gently caress away from Pizza Planet.

Animal Kingdom:
Flame Tree BBQ. It re-opens in early April and is my favorite QS in the parks. Do not miss it.
Yak & Yeti QS is pretty delicious as well.

Resorts:
Art of Animation has probably the best food court around.
Contempo Cafe at Contemporary Resort

Downtown Disney:
Earl of Sandwich
Wolfgang Puck Express

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 6, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Quixotic1 posted:

I only go for Pizza Planet for the meatball sub, and meet the rest of the family at Studio Catering if they are eating there. Pizza Planet is probably the loudest of the eateries in the world I've been to.

That's why I don't like it. Otherwise it's not bad.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Flame Tree is so so so so good, very good choice.

The smell of that BBQ is just unreal. I can smell it all the way from up here in NH. :yarr:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

Thank you guys for all the recommendations!! This is seriously the most helpful and nice thread I've ever seen.

Flame tree is definitely where we'll try to go on the AK day! Ribs :allears:

I hope you have the most wonderful of trips. Disney is one of the few places where your latest trip can consistently top the most previous. This September will be #12 for me!

Quixotic1 posted:

I wonder if the wildlife will be gone from Flame Tree, at least temporarily, due to it being closed for so long.

Where there's food, there's ducks!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Expedition Everest opened today nine years ago! That's crazy to say.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Happitoo posted:

If anyone cares, tickets for the Halloween & Christmas parties went on sale today. I was planning on going to the Halloween party on Halloween, but then I saw the price, said gently caress that, and bought tickets for Oct 27.

Fuuuck yeah. I'm going to the 9/22 one.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Disney has some cool VIP packages for Star Wars Weekends. Oh by the way the most expensive one is $399 per person welp.

http://www.worldofwalt.com/forum/disney-announces-premium-packages-for-star-wars-weekends-t1273.html

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Ryan Gosling is set to star in Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion film. That movie is going to rule so loving hard.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Empties:

gently caress yeah.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Uziel posted:

OK, so I finally did my FastPass selections for our June trip. I have the full internary up here if anyone is interested and wanted to offer some pointers:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OZ_8YRA5luWshaMHJ4cYkTbs2XRXv0ymr6C5n9LazQM/edit

The missing gaps are 6 quick service meals, and 6 snacks.

I have these notes for Quick Service meals:

Anything to add?

What are some recommendations for the Snacks?

Oh, and if we don't have anything for breakfast and just need to buy our own, is it best to just eat at our hotel or are there some cheap but good breakfasts worth traveling for?

Unless you're doing a full blown table service, your resort should be fine. We usually buy a shitload of Clif Bars etc beforehand and just eat one with coffee every morning. It also allows for more park time. Again since you're with kids, it might be a bit different. I recommend the Mickey Waffles. Maybe some other Goons can input on their QS breakfast tips.

For snacks, obviously the Mickey Ice Cream Bar and Dole Whip. Besides that, go to Writer's Stop attached to the Sci Fi at Hollywood Studios. The carrot cake cookie is real popular. They have some crazy good snacks. I think you'll be there for the Frozen stuff, which brings out some really interesting things. Sleepy Hollow at Magic Kingdom has some really interesting waffle sandwiches. They go from ones with chicken in them to Nutella and such. In Germany at Epcot, they make a mean pretzel.

E: Also, are you flying in and staying at a Disney resort?

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 17, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gotcha. I missed the Magical Express in your G-Drive at the beginning. If you gave Disney your flight itinerary, which they will have since you're taking Magic Express to the resort, they slip a thing under your door two days before you leave telling you what time to be at the Magic Express bus stop. You don't have to book anything. It rules. I would still just double check when you arrive.

I'm staying at Coronado Springs for the first time in September and I am crazy excited. The last few trips I've stayed at Caribbean Beach since I stayed there almost every year as a kid. It'll be nice to finally switch it up. Hope you and your family have a blast!

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 17, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The moderate free dining is the best. I've rolled the dice on free dining every single year with friends and it'll never go away. You just have to be willing to go in September/October.

Also when you're there, you can call a number to get a "Bounce Back" offer and lock in free dining right there (with a $200 deposit) so you don't have to worry about it the following year. (If you plan on coming next year.) We checked into the resort last September and booked our 2015 trip when we got into the room like a bunch of psychopaths.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm booked at a deluxe resort in mid-September, and I bet I'm going to miss it by like a week.

It's usually starting around September 2nd. One thing to note is that even if your vacation goes outside the dates but has a day within it, you get it for your whole stay. Example: I checked in on 9/24/13 and it ended 9/25/13 and I got it for the whole stay.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hey braks,

Have you heard any talks of bounce back for 2016 yet? The girl and I are going on a mini one in March-April, and then a full week in November.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Some kind of bamf Star Wars lounge is coming to SWW this year. I could put down a few Tattooine Sunsets.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/rebel-hangar-a-star-wars-lounge-experience-coming-to-star-wars-weekends/

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Random, but I have an extra room at Coronado reserved. It's reserved until this Thursday and has free dining, which is currently not available for my dates. 9/17-9/25. You're not obligated to hang out with me but if anybody is looking to go with dining around that time, I'll get my agent to put it in your name instead. Let me know.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I need another MagicBand like a need an rear end in a top hat on my elbow but GODDAMN do I want that Donald one.

Seconded. The girl will go insane if she gets one of those Donald ones. If someone finds one in the parks, I'm all in to buy it.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 11, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Skeezy posted:

I'm getting the hell out of the Jedi Donald Star Wars Weekends one.

Holy gently caress. I just saw a photo of it online. I need that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Tsum Tsums are definitely big. I've seen the displays empty a few times, and saw two girls all but fight over some when the employee was restocking them once. I think when the production ramps up they're going to push them hard.

Those things are loving insane. My girlfriend loves them and the closest Disney Store to me is actually an outlet in Merrimack NH, and I guess the first Tuesday of every month they get a new set. The lady working told me on the first day people come and just individually buy five entire sets of them to sell on eBay.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

SWW has started. Any goon willing to hook me up with a Donald and/or Mickey band, it'd be kickin rad.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Just in case you guys don't know about it, there's a real active Facebook group called Disney Garage Sale where people almost always post they're heading to the parks and they take merch requests. I didn't want to ask for a band but I did snag me a badass Han Solo in carbonite popcorn bucket from some nice user in Orlando. :cheers:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Those of you that placed MB orders with me I am going today to the park. I expect two hours or more according to my in-law who called someone he knows there. The one hour queue BBS mentioned was the abbreviated version. It was two hours plus most of the day.

I am sure my orderees will give me something extra to cover booze expenses while standing in an intolerable line for hours getting their MB's. ;)

If you didn't place your order yet, your ship will be leaving port in ten minutes if I can get waifu out of the goddamned bathroom already. YOUR HAIR IS FINE HONEY FFS!

Update: 1 hr wait for my Vader pic, we were told the line to get into Darths Mall is three hours. Sent the wife to get beer.

Updated update: pics taken. In line for merch. Also they are out of Stormtrooper MB's. Fml Disney really?

Updated update to my update:

Got one Mickey too. No stormtrooper verified. gently caress you Disney.

Found it!

Is that Donald one, like, up for sale? Because I am down. If I missed my window, I am a fool who should have checked the forum. Either way, so sick.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry for the late email, Demon. Just shot you one.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

When I was at WDW for spring break 2 years ago I did HS, AK and Epcot all in one day. Because there is so little at them

Hrm. Maybe I SHOULD do 2 days at Universal....

If you dig rides, it might be worth the two days. Depends on the time you go. I went this past September to Universal and walked into Diagon Alley at open, waited in zero lines, and did every ride in both Universal & IOA in under 12 hours.

Edit: I guess there's early showings of Tomorrowland in a lot of places. Anybody see it yet? I'm just stoked because you can clearly see Space Mountain in the trailer, and they filmed scenes at Small World and Carousel of Progress. Maybe more.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 19, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

Got back from my first WDW trip on Sunday! We stayed for 6 nights in pop century, and over all it was pretty fun.

The only bad parts were how EXHAUSTED we were by day three/four. Seriously, we only spent a few hours in HS + AK on those days because of the heat and just tiredness. We're from the deep south, so I thought we'd be alright with the heat, but man, I couldn't deal. We would leave in the early afternoon, rest for a bit, and go to dinner. A couple days we stayed and walked around more after dinner, but not much. The middle days had me kind discouraged because of being too tired to do/see more than what rides we'd fastpassed.

But, best things: SPACE MOUNTAIN SPACE MOUNTAIN SPACE MOUNTAIN

I posted a while back about being afraid of heights/prone to panic, but it didn't stop me from riding anything really. I still rode space mountain (three times), splash mountain (twice), btmrr, expedition everest, and TOWER OF TERROR. Tower of terror made me pretty anxious after riding, but it was still fun as hell during it. I'm glad I didn't keep my husband from riding the awesome rides he wanted to do, and I'm glad I enjoyed them too!

Magic Kingdom is the best park and at night is for real kinda magical. We spent our last day/night at MK and even with the pretty big crowds, it was awesome. Saw the parade, fireworks, celebrate the magic thing, rode the teacup ride twice (without getting sick!), and in general just had a fantastic time.

Things I'd do different:
Go in either late fall (October/November) or early spring (February/March), to dodge the heat and the amount of people.
Not get the Dining Plan at all, but if we did, just the quick service. Our TS dinners we reserved were good, but not worth the time stress or how packed in all the restaurants are. The QS stuff on the other hand was consistently great and much less stressful to me (I'm a little panicky if I think I'm going to be late for something).
Stay more nights, spend less days in the parks, and plan a couple days for non-Disney relaxing things.
Eat at Flame Tree because my husband wanted to eat Yak & Yeti instead :mad:

I'm a big Yak & Yeti fan, but no Flame Tree makes me sad. Glad you managed to hit all those rides and I hope you go again!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

demonR6 posted:

This Friday.. 24 hours of Disney. Whose in town this weekend?

Dammit Demon don't make me buy a plane ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oracle posted:

Whaaaaaat? Pics. Now.

It was nice to get a piece of & atmosphere of the parks delivered all the way up here to NH.