Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The coasters at Disney World are all fairly tame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I went to Disneyland in April and it was great. Really enjoyed seeing all the differences between the parks. The Paint the Night Parade in Disneyland puts Main Street Electrical Parade to shame. Oh and on the topic of coasters, California Screamin' is a better coaster than any at WDW.

One thing about Disneyland, I like getting pins and pins are way less prevalent there than at WDW. I saw somewhere that the reason is Disney doesn't require cast members to wear pins as much since there were too many bad mannered adults doing pins in DLR. :(

Dren fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 10, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
does turtle talk count as a ride? cuz turtle talk, followed by the three caballeros boat ride. living with the land is good too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
When we went to DLR we stayed at the Anaheim majestic garden hotel. There is a free shuttle to the park (a nice shuttle) or you could walk. The ride is about 5 minutes, I think the walk is like 30 minutes as the hotel is not as close as the ones across the street. The room was huge and the place was nice. They have a good brunch. It's a good neighbor hotel so you can buy tickets there. They have a pool but it doesn't have a kiddie area.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I bought one of the Made with Magic light up paintbrushes for Paint the Night, won't lie. you can use it to change the color of other people's light up stuff, which is really nifty. is it 30 bucks worth of nifty? Probably not, but it has a fancy Disneyland 60th logo that makes it kind of a collectable.

I saw that there was made with magic stuff but didn't have any idea what it did so I didn't get one. :(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Mostly depends on the time of the year, but even at busy times you can get lucky and snag spots as people cancel or use one of those third party alert services.

What are the alert services?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is it sold as tres pins or uno pin?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also do any of you guys know if this is a real pin?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walt-Disney...GYAAOSwpLNX~HN5

Pinpics says yes

http://pinpics.com/pinMT.php?pin=118217&keyw=splash+mountain+brer+rabbit&PB_page=3

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Seconding that Nemo is probably the best show. After having seen Lion King I would be fine skipping it. I like the animatronics shows in MK like tiki room and Country Bears too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

These are my favorites of AK, taken at sunrise one morning before opening last year. I can dig up the full res if you want any higher. Been waiting on a stormy evening at HS to get a good one of Tower!

tree shot is nice, the tree looks really nice in the morning light.

The buzz lightyear shot from last page was fantastic too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BlueBayou posted:

Saw this on reddit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYdnCDidXgo

Tony Baxter is so awesome :allears:

Pretty sure the date they suggest is wrong, the guy mentions that miniatures of the bat handrails were made that sold out and now you'd have to get one on eBay. That puts the filming of this at at least 1995, probably later.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

Gaston needs to be bigger imo.

agreed

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BlueBayou posted:

Should have had Dwayne Johnson play Gaston

Yep. How am I supposed to believe that Luke Evans eats 5 dozen eggs every day? Luke Evans, no. Dwayne Johnson, yes.

Dren fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 14, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Please. Gaston is ten times the handsome villain that Hans is. Hans doesn't even have a gun that shoots arrows.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pththya-lyi posted:

Hans could get a crossbow if he wanted to :colbert:

lol a crossbow? gaston has a musket that shoots arrows

http://finnicko-loves-anniec.tumblr.com/post/139725480028/so-why-exactly-does-gastons-gun-shoot-arrows

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pththya-lyi posted:

A blunderbuss. :eng101:

But I stand corrected.

Sweet, I didn't know about the blunderbuss.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

tomapot posted:

My daughter was 3 when she saw Little Mermaid at the campfire movie night at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds. She was hooked for life, for years we'd have to pretend to steal her voice. She'd introduce herself "Hi, I'm Madison, I am x years old, my favorite princess is Ariel, what's yours?"

I'd answer that my favorite is Belle because she believed in the man underneath the Beast just like my wife believed in me.

what's the over under on the amount of times this man has had to tell his daughter to keep singing?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If you're flying it might be being on the plane that's getting you sick, not Disney.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
There is a cruise app so you can still text each other at sea (or any other people on the boat, I guess). It uses ship wifi and has Disney emojis.

The cruise is a lot of fun, the food and entertainment are great. Be sure to go to the shows in the theater. If you're into pin trading it's a great place to complete hidden Mickey sets. The shops have rather large books that are full of pins. It's much easier than trading at the parks, almost too easy.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Braksgirl posted:

There is internet but you have to pay for it. Disney Cruise does have wave phones, which is like a cordless phone dealie that works only on the ship. Every room has a couple of them so if you want to be on one end of the ship and your family on the other, you can keep in contact. You can also use the Navigator app that Disney has. I do think it lets you text on board but I've never used it as it wasn't a thing when I last sailed DCL.

It lets you text on board and is pretty cool. Everyone in your stateroom is automatically in your contacts list, it works just like texting, and there are Disney emojis.

The app also has the cruise activity schedule. You can favorite activities and get a reminder.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSOqWtLix4

actual ride footage of avatar about 1 minute in!!!

maybe they will hit that open date afterall

It looks cool and all but I don't know if I'll ever get over the feeling of "Why is there a whole world built around Avatar?" Like, Duffy feels more legit and Disney than this and his character story is "we invented this to sell merchandise".

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

The tours are another great way to see more than you normally would and find more appreciation for everything Disney. The Animal Kingdom Trek and The Seas scuba/snorkeling experiences are supposedly amazing if you like animals as well. If you're into it at all and going to be here during one of the Run Disney events I highly recommend them. Running through the parks after hours is a really cool experience and the events are really well organized.

I did the keys to the kingdom tour once, it was rad and I'd do it or another backstage tour again. Also if you're doing F&W try signing up for some of the events like the Tequila tasting lunch, etc. If you're not into pin trading, maybe try that out. Pin trading helps turn down time into a chance to look for pin boards or CM's wearing pins, kind of a game to play while you're between attractions, in line, or waiting for your dinner reservation.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I mean I ride Soarin' pretty much every trip but if we skipped it I wouldn't be too upset.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I liked DL a lot. We spent 5 days in the parks iirc and when we told the CMs at the customer service desk the length of our stay they looked at us like we were crazy. I probably could have spent more time, we didn't get to do everything since we have a toddler and there's no FP+. The single rider line, which I don't think WDW has, sorta made up for no FP+.

Disneyland is the same size as magic kingdom. CA is about that size as well. There's a lot of duplicate rides in DL and MK but I enjoyed looking for the differences in them. When we were there they had the light up the night parade which is far and away the best parade. Toontown was a lot of fun for my toddler and cars land is dope as hell. Love cars land.

You're right about not being in the bubble like in WDW. We commented on the same thing. I think you're right about the CMs being different too. One big difference I noticed was with pin trading. In DLR hardly any CMs had pins and most were kinda ehhh about trading whereas in WDW lots of CMs have pins and they are usually happy to chat. I'm sure this has to do with the absurd amount of guests running around in clothes absolutely covered in pins, which I never saw at WDW.

Dren fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 20, 2017

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Braksgirl posted:

Disneyland is smaller than MK. It's about 20 acres smaller, actually. There are more attractions in Disneyland than in Magic Kingdom as well and it's all very compact, which I like.

Huh. It felt about the same size. I pulled up google maps and kinda eyeballed them so I'm not surprised that I'm wrong.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Douchebag posted:

Very true, but there are some rides we really want to do and there is no loving way we are waiting in line for over an hour. In the past I've actually had very good luck changing plans and fast passes in the morning but my son is willing (and big enough) to try some new rides so I had to grab those.

I'm not fist pounding and upset about FP+, I just miss the old way 😀

I thought I missed the old way then I went to Disneyland and boy howdy does truckin' it all over the park to get the paper fastpasses suck.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I've found the table service food I've had in the parks to be good and I've always been happy with it. I'm not sure if I've eaten at the top tier places though. The quick service food is fine. It's moderately expensive, around the same as fast casual places where I live. By skipping breakfast at the resort you skipped mickey waffles (some resorts have character waffles instead) which, I mean, what were you even doing not having those at least once.

I doubt they'd add a red team to mission space. Originally there was no orange team and green team, the whole ride was at the orange team level. They added green team because people were getting sick. From wiki:

quote:

Several people have been taken to local hospitals for chest pain and nausea after riding. Most who complained of these symptoms were over 55 years old. Two people have died after completing the ride, although due to pre-existing conditions — one, a 4-year-old boy, with an undiagnosed heart condition, and the other, a 49-year-old woman, from a stroke due to high blood pressure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Space#Controversy

Count me among the people who don't get the fuss over Soarin though. I've always felt underwhelmed by it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yay Traditions.

Also who wants a sky gondola from Epcot to Studios, cause we are probably getting that.

Me, I want that.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Thanks man. Yeah my girlfriend wants to see the utiliidors and behind the scenes HM (I do too) and I get a pretty awesome cast member discount so sounds like marcelline for us (although I wish I worked I MK and could do that cast tour!). I wish there was a way to see Splash Mountain on one of these tours!!!

If you guys don't know we get a pretty awesome discount on the tours, especially Wild Africa Trek, and the cool stuff like patios at poly.

Keys takes you behind splash mountain, not in it though.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It's hard to like Everest the most when you know there is supposed to be a yeti at the broken tracks.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

nimper posted:

When was that ever a thing? That's a bit early for the Yeti reveal.

I looked up the history of the ride and now I realize I misunderstood a description of Everest I got from someone who rode it when it first opened which led me to believe the yeti was originally at the broken tracks prior to the yeti breaking down. Now I'm disappointed that the yeti is not and was never at the broken tracks because how awesome would it be if you got to the broken tracks then the yeti popped out while you were stopped?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fejsze posted:

Wait, what? How have I never noticed an animatronic bird on Everest?

Google "Everest bird on a stick". It is pretty funny.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Lunch seems like the worst time to go. Breakfast is cool because you can enter the park early but the dining experience is meh. Dinner is table service and the beast is there, it's the best. Lunch is just like breakfast without getting in the park early to do mine train with no line.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I'm going to WDW in October. Trying to think of what dining reservations I want, probably want to get a BoG for dinner but they close during MNSSHP. Will they announce the MNSSHP dates as the dining reservations open up? I don't want to make a reservation and have it get cancelled.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Rumor is first week of April, but if you want BoG make sure you call us 180 days before hand as it's the most popular restaurant we have imho. Other good options are Cinderellas royal table or crystal palace.

We're already booking late September so who knows.

Thanks. First week of April is before my 180 day mark so I should be good.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll go out on a limb and assume it was a family drama incident, as the vast majority of kidnappings are. I just can't imagine a random kidnapping taking place at Disney, that would have to be the dumbest criminal in the world.

Kidnappers go on vacation too

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Braks, or anyone else, I rented DVC points for the trip I'm taking in October. How likely is it that I'll be able to take advantage of any promos?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Gin_Rummy posted:

If I'm looking to book a trip for mid/late October, would it be too late to rent DVC points and book a decent studio in BLT?

(Decent, in this case, meaning at least a partial view of the castle for fireworks)

All you can do is check and see unless you know someone who will rent you their points directly. When I booked for mid October two weeks ago all I could get was Saratoga Springs or OKW (we were looking for a 2bdrm). We used dvcrental.com.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Reinanigans posted:

Got our magic bands and car magnets yeeeeah

My wife wants to stay at a Disney resort for her 30th, but we'd only be staying one, maybe two nights and not spending a lot of time in the hotel. Is it worth it if we want to maximize our time inside the parks to stay on the property, or is staying at a nearby hotel, like one near Disney Springs a better idea? Those Disney resorts are pricy AF.

Decide if the perks of being on the resort are worth it to you. Extra magic hours and more flexible transportation are the big ones. Sometimes there are good deals like free meal plan if you stay at a resort so look out for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

nbakyfan posted:

Who decides when Dapper Day happens? I've been trying to figure this out for two years now down here. I always heard it from other cast members or on here.

Perhaps try http://dapperday.com