Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

JoshTheStampede posted:

They can't. Universal owns the theme park rights to Marvel properties.

They own the rights in Florida and Japan, otherwise it's fair game for Disney.

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2014/disney-vs-universal-over-marvel/

quote:

In early 2009, just six months before Disney would purchase Marvel Entertainment, [Universal Studios Hollywood] opted to not extend its contract with Marvel, as the last of the superhero characters had left the park in 2007 – thereby paving the way for Disneyland to host its Avengers meet-‘n-greets.

This presumably means that Disney can build whatever Marvel-land they want in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

Exactly. They can only keep Marvel out of the parks East of the Mississippi

The article I linked says it's a 250-mile radius around Orlando, actually. That would cover most of Florida, part of Georgia, and a tiny sliver of South Carolina. Everywhere else is fair game if Disney ever wants to build a new theme park.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Roar posted:

Ride the green version? It's exactly the same except it's no fun at all.

Fixed :)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Yoshifan823 posted:

I rode with a bunch of teenagers on Test Track today, who, at the part where poo poo goes real fast, took out a phone and took a selfie video. And on my way out of the park, I saw a girl at a meet and greet take a selfie with Alice.

Cell phones make Disney way cooler, y'all.

Doesn't it suck to get old? All the kids start doing things you'd never have even thought of.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doronin posted:

drat that's depressing. What was the last thing they did right at Epcot?

They reopened Captain EO.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I said good things.

I'll just pretend I didn't read this post and cheerfully move on with my life :)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kazak_Hstan posted:

How was Ohana? It looked really good when we were waiting at Kona.

Ohana is really really good. Especially if you're an unabashed carnivore. It's a must-book every time my family visits.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

Or park at Contemporary and tell the guard at the gate you are going to X restaurant there. Someone decided to cut us off from the Grand Floridian parking lot, we used to use that one all the time.

This sounds like it would work until your Magicband alerts the guard that you don't have a reservation there :tinfoil:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Braksgirl posted:

I feel like I'm being punked with that "Can't eat at Disney without the dining plan" business. Now I'm all paranoid.

Why on earth would anyone think that Disney will refuse your money like that? Doesn't make any sense.

demonR6 posted:

If you are not on the Disney Dining plan that means you have to eat offsite

Oh, you are definitely trolling.

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 20, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

should have elaborated. Looking at the OP I thought they may have wanted to go outside of the confines of the DDP. Surely you can eat anywhere you want and not be tied to the DDP but it makes more sense from a package perspective to take advantage of it. You are however restricted by the plan rules but I have not heard many complain about it. It was being restructured for this year though but not sure what changes were made.

You can eat anywhere you want without having to be part of DDP, it does not get you preferential dining reservations so you cannot walk up to LeCellier and say "Good sir I am on DDP and I demand you seat us!"

EDIT: also bring cash to eat, lots and lots of cash.

I think the guy's parents were against DDP entirely and didn't want to add it to their package. This is folly. But you can definitely pay for meals yourself without worrying about DDP.

And by bring cash, you don't mean literally bring a wheelbarrow of cash. Just make sure you have the funds available.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If it helps that's probably just the number they put up to scare people away. Its probably less than/about an hour.

Waitchat:

Last time we were down to WDW we went to Universal one day and the wait time for the Hogwarts ride was posted as 90 minutes, which was entirely accurate. The outdoor portion of the queue was completely jam packed.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Uziel posted:

Where do you get the Dole Whips in MK? I guess you can't use meal plan snacks on them?

They're at Aloha Isle in Adventureland and yes "Dining Plans Not Accepted"

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mykkel posted:

The second part of this is incorrect. Dole Whip counts as a snack.

Well why does their website say they don't accept the plans :iiam:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Braksgirl posted:

I probably don't have to tell y'all this, but don't believe any Disney news you might read today. I've already had people outraged that they're changing Cinderella Castle to Elsa's Palace. :colbert:

Don't they do that anyway during the fireworks show? Seems a logical step :D

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Douchebag posted:

I'm hoping the end result is I don't eat everything in the world this trip.

Why even bother going?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Trying to make dinner reservations for the week of October 25. Should be available to book for our entire stay now according to Disney phone jockeys but it's not letting me :argh: Is everything still FUBAR from the free dining release?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Yeah they finally opened up this morning around 7 my time. BOG dinner at 9:30? Sure, cool. Maybe an earlier res will open up :)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Happitoo posted:

I managed to snag a BOG dinner reservation for 5pm on Oct 30th. I'm super excited about it since I've wanted to eat there since it opened. I'm sure it'll be nice and stuff. I'm also sure it won't meet the expectations I have in my mind since it's popularity and hype is so high.

Yeah, our options were 4:10 and 9:20 on the 28th. The later time won't be too bad really, since we're planning on going to Cocoa Beach earlier that day. Weather permitting of course.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Uziel posted:

Really that good?
We didn't even have it on our internary.
Our table service meals are O'hana, Lunch at Cinderell'a Castle, Inn @ San Angel, Chef Mickey's Breakfast, and Sci-fi Diner. Everything else is quick service.

'Ohana is always on our itinerary. So much meat and then they bring more.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

on spec posted:

This is what my grandmother calls "borrowing trouble."

So what if you are a prude, as long as you're a happy prude? And why are you worrying about your future single self's ability to find someone to gently caress? You don't even know what your future single self will be like, so how could you POSSIBLY predict how attractive he'll be, who he'll know (and therefore who might or might not want to have sex with him) or even, you know, if he'll exist.

This is a colossal waste of your time and energy. Take stock of what you like about your life and yourself, make a plan to fix the things you don't, nurture your marriage, and go have a beer or something; Jesus.

I remember this post from somewhere; I just can't pinpoint exactly what...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Old Man Pants posted:

It was an E/N post where like 50 people thought it would be funny to post the exact same thing in someones thread, then it began leaking into all the other E/N threads, and now it's found it's way here.

I never imagined FYAD would leak into the Disney World thread.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

back by the merry go round in the open area that is adjacent to the Mine Train entrance crossing into where BOG is. Great viewing where you will have fireworks all around you, think surround sound only at a different level.

Hey thanks. We have a late dinner at BOG one night so this will be ideal.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Anya posted:

Not So Scary Halloween Party - it's happening my first day there, should I buy the extra ticket? We've got Park Hopper, though I feel my parents may be pooped from the whole day, I kind of want to go since it's my first trip. What all goes on?

I'm interested in this as well. Is it worth the price of admission?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

Awesome.

How do I add the flight to my reservation so they know Im coming and send me tags and all that good stuff? Do i do that myself online? I can't seem to find it

I made my DME reservations online earlier this year but the link I used doesn't seem to be working anymore.

You'll probably have to call.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just checked in to my flight for tomorrow!

We thought about the Halloween party but decided against the extra cost. Should be a fun week regardless!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Happitoo posted:

Here's today's trip report:

Fuckin' rain, man.

Too right. The mouse shook our family out of 50 bucks in poncho sales. But our clothes were dry by golly.

Small note: BOG is very much as good as advertised. The lamb is fantastic.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

Yep, we have been to the parks during enough special events where the park is packed and there is no FP but the lines are reasonable. Excpet for Pan, gently caress that queue line forever.

I ran some numbers being bored in line waiting forever and at Toy Story for every 40'ish FP they allowed 10 regular queue. Watched this cycle twice while I was in a good place to take count. Not saying that is the norm at every ride but I think I will start keeping track for my own amusement when we go to the parks now. Usually we use FP but days like yesterday where we went on a whim and did fly by the seat of our pants approach like normal people and get stuck in a queue line.

Even if you plan ahead, getting a FP for Toy Story is tough. Hopefully the lines will get better with the expansion.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Is be our guest breakfast worth it for the breakfast (not on dining plan), or just for getting in early?

I think BOG is only ever worth it at dinner.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

Is the credit card I put down for my hotel room incidentals linked to my MB?

Cause I don't want to be able to pay with my MB. Or at least i want to be aware that I can

Best to check with the front desk about this. They can set it so your MB won't be able to pay for things.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

Hrm... true.

I guess Im worried about sticker shock at the end

As long as you keep track of what you're spending (you get receipts with every MB transaction) there shouldn't be much sticker shock.

I do wish there was a way to view your current MB balance through the MyDisneyExperience app.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

I thought tower of terror was behind Morocco and was themed accordingly, but I couldn't see it.
I mean, you're not wrong, but

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

demonR6 posted:

New security measures at the gates coming soon..

Oh boy. Scanners and wands, probably.

Maybe they'll have a DSA PreCheck line for resort guests and passholders.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
dolewhipchat:

During Food & Wine I had an alcoholic dole whip from one of the stands.

It was.... okay? I'm not sure what I should have expected but the rum overpowered the whip.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

:eyepop:

Wanna ride that coaster. Maybe I can convince the waifu that we should visit Sweden sometime.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tim Whatley posted:

My trip is 60 days from today, but I don't intend on buying the annual pass until I arrive. Am I basically screwed out of making Fastpass selections?

My experience with fastpasses was that you need to have a park ticket on your My Disney Experience account before it will let you make fastpass selections.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

poolside toaster posted:

Disney has enough trouble keeping two domestic parks staffed with appropriately "magic" people. Can you imagine what they'd have to deal with trying to staff a park in flyover country?

Flyover country has some pretty nice folks living there, or so I've heard.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Abu Dave posted:

Off topic but it's weird that they're putting the Hulk back together exactly how it was at Universal instead of doing something new with the layout. You'd think with a full replacement they'd chagne it up a bit. :iiam:

I thought they were redoing the back portion of the ride! Whatever.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Braksgirl posted:

2017 WDW package pricing is available today. Happy to help any goons get to Disney, so PM me for quotes! :D

As you wish!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

chitoryu12 posted:

Also I'm pretty sure it's impossible for Disney to ban apps or get themselves deleted from the game.

Maybe not ban the app, but delete the stops/gyms? Yeah I bet they have some pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

chitoryu12 posted:

Nintendo also has plenty of pull, and Disney having their PokeStops, gyms, and Pokemon spawning deleted would be a PR nightmare. Banning selfie sticks is one thing. Banning children from playing Pokemon and eliminating a draw for people to come to the park? That's just dumb.

Oh, I agree that it would be a bad idea. But it is possible.