Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I love reading this thread and planning an eventual trip in the next couple of years - I have a 4 month old, and while my husband went to Disney when he was about 4, I've never been (had several opportunities that were all taken away from junior high to high school). Would it be worth it to get a Disney credit card and start using it for rewards points? I only have one, and don't get any rewards at all for that one, so I would like to start getting something that will be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Looking into making a 4 day hop down to DW the weekend of Oct 17. Meeting a friend who has a AP and we are going to hit the parks hard. It's going to be my first trip, and I've been reading the thread for a long time. I'm looking for any advice on the following:

Fly in early Friday (10am) and be ready to roll around 2pm for MK
Art of Animation - Friday through Monday (I want to stay in an Ariel room!!!)
Standard meal plan (I like to eat and would rather not worry about anything)
Not-So-Scary party either Friday or Saturday night
Leave Monday around 2pm for 4 pm flight

Besides a Dole Whip, taking cheesy photos in front of the Castle, and going to see Ariel and the Little Mermaid ride - I'm looking to hit highlights of each park. Me and the friend are reasonably fit and can pull off running all over the place. What's a good plan of attack?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I'm not too worried about choices on food with an impromptu visit -I'd like to take a bigger family trip in a year or so, so this is my test trip.
Gonna make sure I get the days approved, then I will give you a heads up Braksgirl.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Dr. Benway posted:

Are you planning on getting a park hopper pass? You can most likely do Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios or Epcot in one day depending on how you feel about either. Personally I'd do Not So Scary on your Sat so you can enjoy evening at Magic Kingdom without fear of the travel day taking it's toll on Fri.

-Fri. enjoy playing it by ear. (no pun intended)
-Sat. either Epcot or Hollywood, nap, hit Not-So-Scary at MK.
-Sun. Animal Kingdom then whichever park you didn't hit Sat. morning
-Mon. do anything you didn't have a chance for or hit up Downtown Disney for food/shopping. catch your flight.

I don't remember if Not-So-Scary implies that MK stays open later than normal. Last time we did it it was open till midnight or something like that. Shortly after the fireworks it began to rain and there was a stroller stampede for the exit. Neither my wife or I are bothered by rain and stuck around There were no lines for anything, it was pretty great. My favorite joke was the posted 15 min. wait for Space Mountain was because that's how long it took to walk through the mile long que to get to the cars.

Yeah, park hopper is a definite. That looks like a good itinerary, I've got places favorited on the WDW app and am going to shoot for one awesome meal and everything else will be a whatever looks good that day. It looks like F&W will be happening those dates as well - debating on trying to leave Tuesday instead of Monday so I have a full final day to screw around and then pick a final couple things to hit that last morning.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Just sent you a PM braksgirl

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I AM GOING TO DISNEY WORLD! Just got the heads up that my days off from world are approved. Now the planning begins! I'm so excited!!!!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Just a big shoutout to Braksgirl for all her help with planning this WDW trip. Totally recommend working with her if you've not gone before and have 50 million questions and random scenarios, without the free time to find out the answers.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
You've been great! Especially since my parents have been slow about things - though to be fair, they are also booking a South American cruise for this fall as well.

Opinion on Jiko vs Boma? I'm starting to throw together ADRs and am going for what's available right now, Makarresh for Saturday dinner, and Sunday is going to be AK. Jiko is two ADRs, but since we will be leaving Tuesday afternoon, we will end up using that.

Dinner things- dinner gets a drink, entrée, and dessert, but appetizer is on us?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
In the grand scheme of things, probably upgrading dining plan so I can get an appetizer is a dumb idea. I remember people talking about Jiko and Boma but I couldn't remember what the consensus was on the better thing. Boma is buffet and Jiko is served - my dad may be more into buffet things...might end up switching.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Braks- would we qualify for the discount?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Sad face! But I will live. I figured it probably would not happen, thanks Walt!

Has anyone taken any of the behind the scenes tours? My mom is really interested in taking one of the MK tours. She remembers watching Disneyland open for the very first time, on TV, and she's always wanted to see how everything works. She's not too crazy about hitting the big rides, being 67, but she is all about walking all over the place.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Sweet! I will make sure to tell mom. I would like to take a tour, but I honestly want to explore the rides and such, and would rather do it during a trip when I am there longer.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Transportation Disney style-
Looking at the maps of the place, we are staying at French Quarter, should the bus to Epcot from there be fairly fast, since they are located next to each other? And should it be a better idea to go to Epcot and then take the monorail to MK as a faster method than just taking the bus? I figure the bus is the only way from FQ to AK, and it looks like the same to HS.
We aren't planning on renting a car, so I'm tracking out all the routes.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
For reals - I've looked at the maps, I don't know why they don't do more ferry boat work - you could probably theme it and sell stuff and make all kinds of mouse monies.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
So, tell me about this pin trading nonsense. Should I try to find some, or should I just enjoy the trip and not bother with pins?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
60 days is Sunday. Planning MK Friday, Epcot Saturday, AK Sunday, HS Monday/MK again, and Tuesday morning is probably Epcot or MK one more time. So freaking excited, the countdown is really on!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

I think WDWTools is the most popular one.

Thanks for the link! Just scored BOG for my breakfast on our last day there.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I already had grabbed (after many attempts) a BOG lunch on the Monday and with the watch link, pulled off breakfast for the last day, so I'm pumped.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Goon meet! I'm there next month

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
35ish days left. I am so freaking excited.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Not So Scary Halloween Party - it's happening my first day there, should I buy the extra ticket? We've got Park Hopper, though I feel my parents may be pooped from the whole day, I kind of want to go since it's my first trip. What all goes on?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
One month from now, I will be an hour outside of MCO, heading in to land!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

The countdown is on. These have been stuck in USPS tracking limbo for a week, and were the doorstep when I go in. I can't believe it's actually really happening now.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

I'm so glad you got them! I really wasn't making any headway on trying to find out where they were!

Literally from start to finish, 10 days, 6 were being in limbo from Cincinnati to me. Who knows? I could see the tracking thing just say in transit so I assume it was by snail.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Working today so I can have an extra day off for Disney. I should probably start packing. Besides my camelbak- anything interesting I should take along...poncho and sunscreen are a definite I know.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Flying out tomorrow! I'm so giddy. Thank you braksgirl- I'm prepared to become a 5 year old Friday morning

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I cried through the rope drop and walking down Main St. I'm in love.

And I cried through the Ariel ride. And I'm going to meet her next! Literally I am five years old again. This is the best day ever. And Starbucks is gorgeous! Holy drat this place is amazing.

Anya fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 16, 2015

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Trying to not be all teary when you're the only adult in Belle's Enchanted Tales, that doesn't have a kid, is very hard to hide. Small World next! Pretty much my life is complete. Haven't even tried for a big ride, more focused on being a kid. Yay for FP+

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Lincoln posted:

Ha oh man I just looked up your post history in this thread and it's amazing. Your first post was May 1 of last year: "I love reading this thread and planning an eventual trip in the next couple of years..." Now you've got me all choked up, and and I'm a grown-rear end man. You'll be planning your next trip before you leave. I love seeing people do WDW for the first time -- it's like getting a contact high off someone else's vacation.

Literally I never thought this would ever happen. Greatest day after wedding and birth of my son.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Survived the day at 240000 steps and achieving my life goals of meeting Ariel and Belle, and clowning around with Goofy and Donald. I never thought I'd have so much fun with the last two- but it was the best interaction ever. Plus dole whip floats, blowing my dad's mind with Biergarten for dinner (he lived in Germany for the Air Force in the 60s), and blowing my mom's mind with the whole trip. Exhausted but ready to sleep and do it again tomorrow! Glad you all could pseudo-experience my first visit to MK. It was perfect.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah that was late night posting. I'd say between me, mom, dad - we each hit 22-24,000. It's part of my half marathon training for my next race.

Minor glitch - my dad's MB keeps screwing up. No problem with tickets or room, but it never accepts his PIN and he can't buy anything. No problem with mine or mom's and we are all on same cc and PIN. It's now been reset twice, thinking he just has a bad band. Epcot was good but really crowded, headed in boat to HS. Almost hurled on mission space orange - never had issues ever but apparently it was a bad idea for me. I was nauseated and clammy and sweaty and felt off for about an hour after.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I've done flipping rides and spinny rides and never a problem. Once we started spinning I tried to stay calm, but when it went flipping out of control - I held it back. Definitely shook me for awhile.

And I really like HS. I'm more into the magic and I love that about here. Epcot definitely lacks the magic, but it's still cool. Parents loved SOARIN' and I'm in line for Tower of Terror. Crowd seems lowest here but WDWLines is showing same level as rest of parks.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I feel like this thread is my live blog of Disney right now. ToT was excellent. Probably the best "experience" with theming and surprise so far. Technically I did four parks today - Epcot, HS, epcot, and back in MK to end the night...mainly so I could sit here and charge my phone in the park next to Rapunzel's tower. Thanks to helpful CMs, I've found my favorite resting spot.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah - the CM said "Rapunzel's bathroom" and I was like...that's an attraction? But I had walked through the area a ton and never realized it. Great rest stop. All that's left on my list is Space Mountain, Toy Story Midway, Kali RR, Safaris, and Everest. After hitting my AK stuff tomorrow afternoon, I can pretty much just coast through, with BoG lunch on Monday and breakfast on Tuesday.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Fast pass line for safaris is insane at this minute. Watching the insanity from a comfortable perch.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
The forums app works in all parks and resorts that I've been in this week. AK was excellent. Wish I had a couple more days, I'd like to spend more time wandering around, but the safari and Everest were tremendous. Hit Everest and toy story 2x each today. Time to geek out in MK all tomorrow.

The app hates me and won't let me upload my sweet pics.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
AK was fine. Busy but easy to manage and the single rider line was posted at 15, but running at 8, so I doubled that and didn't use my fast pass. Went to EMH at HS with the express intention of doing Toy Story. Waits were 85-45-20-30 and I hit it at the 45 and 20 times, around 940 and 1040. Single rider is the best thing ever, gets me in all kinds of spots. Today, space mountain, BoG, and just putzing around the shops in MK. I've hit everything I wanted - and realized my inner ears can't handle serious spins any more, I almost got a little queasy Saturday on Star Tours- and back to back Everest shook me a little. At 31, I'm sadly old.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Braksgirl - the 7 hour tour for mom was a bad idea (for my phone life). We have a group text of me, mom, dad, sister - mom won't stop blowing it up with all the new things she's learning. She's loving it.

Oh, and

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
All three were being used at lunch today. I ate in the west wing because it's forbidden! And yeah, it's expensive, but I'm in a theme park. The ambiance and knowing that 7 year old me is happy made it all worth it.
The Mickey meet and greet blew me away. I teared up just watching him interact with everyone, including a group from Brazil - he spoke Portuguese to them and I about lost it. I have never felt so special and unique like that, but it was awesome. The training and showmanship for a character is excellent, I applaud them all.

And I've never been in a place where you strike up conversation with random people, but this is the place for it. Must be the magic.

Anya fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I've got breakfast tomorrow and I'm going to eat in the ballroom. It looks decent enough and what the hell, it's my last morning in WDW before I fly out. I'm glad I pulled off both though. I wouldn't have done just breakfast.