Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Leelee posted:

I've read nothing but horrible reviews for Tony's Town Square....but my dad really wants to go there (and is financing the trip). He's got some nostalgia for the place since he took us as kids there for breakfast. Should I just grin and bear it, or try to tell him how badly reviewed it is?

My family likes it. It's not amazing but it's got some nice choices (and the decor and location is great). We go for lunch and you can usually get in before noon without a reservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bottom Liner posted:

MK is great right now. Walking on most rides and Seven Dwarves is only 40 minute wait. Temperature is perfect too. About to hit Pecos Bills for that GUAC BAR.

Bottom Liner posted:

MK is great right now. Walking on most rides and Seven Dwarves is only 40 minute wait. Temperature is perfect too. About to hit Pecos Bills for that GUAC BAR.

I was at MK yesterday too. You should have gone to Pecos for lunch. Their computers were down and the food was free if you said you didn't have cash.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Sorry, didn't even think about it.

And I'll gladly keep going there for the toppings bar.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You should have said something earlier.

We had a bad experience at Be Our Guest for dinner. Service was super slow so we complained. The manager apologized, gave us dessert and a Fastpass for the whole group on any ride.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Animal Kingdom: After Dark :pervert:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Big? Haha. For Florida, yes.

Up north we have this:

See that little red and silver one in the background? That's the same size as Mako.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

demonR6 posted:

I don't know if there is an appetite for something that tall out here for multiple reasons. But gently caress that, you cannot get me on that even if you guarantee me there is no way my vomiting everywhere is expected.

They are planning that 500' coaster in I-Drive. But it won't be as fast because it only drops in stages.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cheese Pain posted:

By signing up for a notification service, I got a reservation for Be Our Guest and I'm so excited! :neckbeard:

That's really the only reservations place I want to go to, so now that I know which day I'll be in Magic Kingdom I can plan the rest of my trip.

We'd like to go to Universal Studios as well and we're only in town for a week, so we've chosen MK and Epcot as our two parks for this visit. I don't really feel like I'm interested in Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios - should I be considering one of those over Epcot?

Also, the Disney website is great for planning but Universal's site sucks balls. I'm still trying to figure out where to used see what is in the drat parks! No, I don't want to plan a vacation package, I just want information! :argh:

Do we have a Universal parks thread? :sigh:

Animal Kingdom is my 2nd favorite (just above Epcot). The animals always make each visit different and the live shows are some of the best (Lion King/Flights of Wonder). The rides are good too (at least equal to Epcot).

Of course it all depends in what YOU want to do. Most of a day at Epcot would be spent walking around the different countries. If drinks and shopping and a little culture aren't your thing it might not be worth it. On the other hand if you don't care about animals then avoid Animal Kingdom.

I don't know if you have park hoppers but you could easily split your day between both Epcot and Animal Kingdom especially now that AK is open until 11.

Braksgirl posted:

I'm really hoping that's just a glitch.

It's this. Like most things spread by WDWMagic users it was nothing. They turn non-stories into huge disasters every single day.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 7, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
One of my friends was there but luckily left 10 minutes before the shooting. A coworker's brother in law was one of the dead.

As for the Disney connection, the report is still early and sources are divided on if he was planning something there or just happened to visit.

Obviously Disney parks are big targets for terrorism due to their place in American culture. Not that I'm saying you should stay away... it seems like you're just as likely (or unlikely) to have something happen somewhere important or somewhere you would never expect.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I can't remember the last time I was on a cruise where the gun was used.

I wonder what Disney will do? That particular beach is really close to the hotel (and parts of the GF have rooms even closer to the water). They also just built all those rooms at the Poly that are OVER the water.

A gator is probably going to stay away from adult humans but there are a lot of kids at Disney. If they want to put up fences around the whole lagoon that isn't a great solution either because gators can climb fences.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm going this afternoon.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just rode (in the new theater too). I could tell any difference between them. Obviously they all got new projection equipment.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There is very little merchandise that can't be found at other parks.

But if you can't find it there is a Disney Parks shopping app (at least on iOS) that has most stuff that is sold in the parks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
On Soarin...

I was never a big fan of the original version (although it is a favorite with my family). I thought it was pretty boring and not worth the wait.

The new version isn't really more thrilling but the combination of better image quality and flying over some of the most beautiful places on Earth (vs. just California) makes it better for me than the old version.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They're better than Mission:Space and that concludes the list of exciting rides at Epcot.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hot, humid and daily thunderstorms. Possible hurricanes too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
At Epcot on the 4th I was seeing Brazilian tour groups everywhere but then it turned out most of them were Argentinian. :shrug:

There were also afternoon storms but that didn't seem to stop many people as most of World Showcase was packed by fireworks time.

However I did notice that they only used the 4 main parking lots and not the further ones that get filled on holidays.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I haven't been to HK but Tokyo Disneysea is AMAZING.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

???

Also I finally rode Kong. It was... um... a thing...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Rumor is some sort of Guardians of the Galaxy attraction.

And of course the internet "fans" are going nuts that Disney would dare replace the "classic" Ellen's Energy Adventure. All while at the same time complain that Disney hasn't invested in new attractions despite the over a billion dollars Disney has spent and is spending.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 19, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bottom Liner posted:

Guardians are not part of that license.

This.

But also there has been rumor that Disney and Universal are working on a new contract which will give Disney more leeway while Universal gets some rights to the MCU.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/rumor-queue-rumored-future-universal-orlandos-marvel-super-hero-island/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I like Tangerine Cafe but mostly because its super hard to find good middle eastern food in Orlando. The service I never thought was that great but the food is good and it's never busy.

You won't find many "off the beaten path" places at Disney. Pretty much everyone knows about every place and they are all busy.

That said there are a few non-signature restaurants that are better than others. Kona, Cape May Cafe (if you like seafood), Boma, Yak and Yeti, Via Napoli, Raglin Road, Paradiso 37, and Earl of Sandwhich (quickservice) are my picks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Actually it just got an update and a new sponsor last year.

Edit: I guess the rumor is that Disney has other plans now and broke the agreement. Although the source is WDW MAGIC who aren't the best place to get these things from.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 3, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Abu Dave posted:

Spaceship earth's aninatronic are more impressive than great movie rides.

Also maybe I'll do the better dining plan hmmm M decisions!!

The Wicked Witch was the first of the modern, more advanced AAs that had more range and speed of motion (using what WDI calls "compliance"). The rest of the AAs in that attraction are the older ones.

Spaceship Earth got new AAs in a refurbishment including a couple modern figures for the caveman and the Greek teacher.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Disney Quest is not worth it unless its included as part of a ticket you already bought (multiday Waterpark add-on I think includes it) and you have a couple hours with nothing else to do.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It was supposed to close this year which is why it was removed from passes. But then the new tenant dropped out and Disney can't find anyone else to take it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Do. Never. All-Star.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Electrical Parade leaving WDW in October. Going back to Disneyland

No replacement announced yet.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...aint-the-night/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Parades are super popular with guests (to the point they redesigned the hub for crowd control issues) but Disney has been scaling back over the years.

It used to be that all 4 parks had a daytime parade. Now it's just down to the MK.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fejsze posted:

If you don't want crowds, just do your best to avoid the F&W festival (though I've gone during my 3 trips, and it's a blast, but busy). Otherwise the crowd calendars have not been accurate so I have no clue when quiet times are anymore.

F&W is ok on weekdays but stay away on the weekends.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Icedude posted:

I've been trying to talk myself out of going to WDW again so soon after going last year, and I think I'm failing.

I remember reading somewhere earlier in the thread that January is the recommended time to go (I thought it was in the OP, but it isn't), but I wouldn't be able to go any time before April. Is April/May a decent time to go, or would it be better to wait until about September?

I stayed at All Star Movies last time and that was perfectly fine (in fact far better than I was expecting for something labeled 'Value'), but is the upgrade to a Moderate hotel really worth it?

Staying at the All Stars is a game of Russian Roulette. Sure its the cheapest Disney option but that price also comes with complementary high school marching bands to wake you up every day at 5am.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The original was a Tony Baxter masterpiece during the golden age of Disney omnimover attractions with classic original characters and songs.

The current version is a half-assed version of the quarter-assed version that replaced it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

couldcareless posted:

I too would like to drink something older than me.

:pervert:

Anyone else going to the 45th anniversary tomorrow? I'll be there for a while then hop over to Epcot for some F&W in the afternoon.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Trapped in steam factory, send help.

It is sooo hot today.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20150826/30511/5-things-happen-when-hurricane-heads-walt-disney-world

quote:

Hurricane Charlie closed all four Walt Disney World parks for 2 days as well in 2004 (after closing early in preparation for the storm). Unlike Floyd, this storm actually did hit Walt Disney World, but damage was minimal, and there were no guest injuries.

Charley was a direct hit on central Florida. So far Matthew looks to be a glancing blow.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 5, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Orange County curfew is being lifted at 2pm. It was originally to last until 7am Saturday.

Disney says they will open parks tomorrow but there are rumors they might try to open MK tonight.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Disney Springs will be reopening at 5pm today for Walt Disney World resort hotel guests only.

Only a limited number of locations will be open, including Splitsville, AMC Movies, and some restaurants and shops.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/severe-weather-information/news/07oct2016-disney-springs-to-reopen-at-5pm-for-disney-resort-guests-only.htm

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Backstage busses: a really silly idea but apparently it's a response to guests spending money on Uber rides between parks. People would rather pay for an Uber than take a Disney bus because it's faster. Now Disney wants some of that cash.

Of course they could work on improving their transportation for all guests but :effort:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some (maybe most now?) resort bus stops have the time to next bus displayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I like the Universal hotels. If you don't care about Express, Cabana Bay is really good for the price and Sapphire is better still.

Then the three higher end resorts are all good I like Hard Rock over Portofino but I've never stayed at Royal Pacific. Their lobby is nice though. Those three all include express pass with the room price.

Cabana Bay has bus service to the parks which isn't bad but drops you near the parking garage. The other 4 have boats which take you to the park entrance.

FYI if you have a car, parking at the hotels is not free. I think it's like $15/night.