Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hey, awesome thread. My wife is a pastry chef at Animal Kingdom and we live about 15 minutes from the parks on 27. Any other Disney locals? We go to the parks once or twice a week to do a few fast passes and eat or see a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that's why we chose the area. It's a bit quieter over here than Kissimmee and Orlando. We're at Ashton Chase just north of Cagan's Crossing, you?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's actually very bikeable for your daily needs. 192 has pretty much everything you'd need to get by, and the Wal-Mart and Targets are just fine and the same as rural stores' pricing.

Cais posted:

We're right behind Hurricanes off woodcrest but I usually go jogging up towards Ashton Chase. Small world haha.

Hey, that's awesome. I run through those neighborhoods too, usually with my two dogs. Say hey if you see me!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Where are they sold? I looked the other day at MK and didn't see any. That's by far the coolest one so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If he's not, I know I am. You might want to double check though because some of the limited bands are linked to an account on purchase, not activation. Not sure how that would work.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We were going to stay in the Savannah view room on our honeymoon (before we moved here), and got a great deal at $200 the first two nights, but then Christmas rates kicked in and it jumped to $650 a night the rest of our week. Couldn't justify it since we had just come from a Disney cruise the first week. The cruise was fantastic, by the way, definitely recommend doing one if you like Disney. It was surprisingly adult friendly too, a good half of the boat was 18 and up.

Now that my wife is a cast member, we're thinking of doing the Animal Kingdom Wild Africa Trek tour. Has anyone here done it?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 27, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

they will be 2 bedrooms and sleep 8.

from http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/the-resort/dvc/item/194-dvc-news-and-information

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of food, the macadamia nut rum + dole whip at the Flower & Garden festival is the best sweet I've had at Disney yet. That rum is amazing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Honestly ToT is a much easier drop ride for me than Splash Mountain. It really doesn't ever drop that far because of the ride mechanics (it constantly goes up and down, but never that far all at once). ToT is also one of the greatest themed attractions anywhere, so it's certainly worth experiencing.

Space mountain is jerky but really a light thrill ride (it only goes about 34 mph). The drops are very minor and more dips than anything.

If thrill rides really scare you the only two I would advice you to stay away from are Rock'n Roller Coaster and Orange team Mission Space. Those are both likely to make you feel pretty queasy or poo poo your pants.

As for the restaurants:

Biergarten is great if you like German food, eating there Saturday night myself. You'll be sharing a big table with other parties, so try to make the most of it and get to know them and enjoy the company.

Sanaa is one of the best on the Disney property.

I'd consider adding or switching for Coral Reef because it's a really unique experience and has some really great dishes (the pork belly is out of this world). I didn't want to try it the first time we did because I wanted to eat in World Showcase as much as possible, but it was really awesome and is now my favorite EPCOT restaurant.

I'd definitely drop T-REX and do Bongo's (Cuban) or Fulton's Crab House (it's a big river boat and better adult experience, better food as well).

Also, are you doing a dining plan?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 1, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gnossiennes posted:

We do have a dining plan (just Disney Dining plan 1x snack + quick service + table service per night). Even more excited for Sanaa now. Kicking out T-Rex.

That's the way to go! F you want suggestions on the best snacks or quick service meals in the parks just let me know, I'll be happy to recommend! Also, what we always do is split our lunch at two different places so we can eat smaller meals throughout the day and try more, helps when you're walking a lot and riding a lot to not be stuffed full constantly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Great table service list!

Quick Service:

Magic Kingdom:
Pecos Bill.
Be Our Guest - Either soup & Carved Prime Chuck Roast Beef Sandwich*

Epcot:
Yorkshire County Fish Shop in England - awesome fish n' chips
Tangierine Cafe in Morocco - shawarma platters are amazing

Hollywood Studios:
ABC Commissary - Angus Cheeseburger with Siracha Aļoli and Fried Shrimp

Animal Kingdom:
Flame Tree BBQ. - 1/2 Slab of St. Louis Ribs

Downtown Disney:
Earl of Sandwich - the holiday sandwich

These are my picks. Any of the cupcakes in the parks rule, and my wife makes all of the desserts at Animal Kingdom :). I also just found out she makes the gluten free breads for Victoria & Alberts!

Oh, and at 50's Prime Time, get the pb&j milkshake as your drink, the trio sampler entree, and smores dessert, they're all awesome.

and Pizza Planet rules, damnit :colbert:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 6, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

And a delicious cupcake, if you're using the meal plan. You'll be plenty full leaving there, plus it's just fun to eat there and listen to Randy Newman.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The food at this year's flower and garden festival is really good and you'll have a great time. Try the Jalapeno beer at the America booth for a wild experience.

Speaking of Be Our Guest, I'm taking my little cousins (7 & 8) for their first trip to Disney this weekend and we snagged breakfast there, kind of hesitant of the prices but I guess it's not too bad considering it includes drinks and everything compared to lunch/dinner. It's the only themed dining we're doing so I think they'll love it. If anyone's been for breakfast, which dishes do you recommend?

also;

quote:

Kellogg's® Cereal - $12.99
Choice of Kellogg's® Cereal with Milk, Fresh Fruit, and a selection of pastries

:lol:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 9, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ugh that's what I figure too, since this is a test and all I'm sure they'll make improvements, especially if they're sticking to the one price thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, at 9:15 it was 70 minutes and the line was wrapping outside pretty far. Insanity. Hoping the rain this evening clears the park out so we can ride it around 9.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm a professional wedding photographer with an annual pass and I live 15 minutes away. Contact me and and I can definitely capture it for you! My site is below, but I haven't updated my location/bio since I moved here last month.

https://www.davidchildersphotography.com

speaking of, it was a magical night with my little cousins on their first trip to the Kingdom.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 13, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How so?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Have you looked at any crowd calendars? That should be a pretty slow time other than Halloween, so I would plan on going to anything but the most crowded park each day and try to book your dining based on that. Also, 8 days with a 7 year old is quite the drat feat, best of luck.

In other news, I signed up for the Goofy challenge race and a half for the 2016 marathon!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We're doing that too, just trying to decide on costumes. I want to do vintage Mr. Incredible in a suit with the logo showing Clark Kent style.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Staying on resort when you can get the free dining plan is the best possible solution. Low crowds and free food, can't beat it!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don't forget cast members can also book you stays at 40% off (and sometimes other discounts like dining plans). That's how we always did it before moving here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Have you done a Disney race before? I did the Wine and Dine in 2013 and considering the amount of people it was organized really well. You get placed in different starting corrals based on your estimated finishing time (with the front ones requiring proof of past races), so you won't have to deal with tons of walkers if you place yourself near the front. Also, you're mostly on big roads throughout the resort except for when you're actually running through the parks, but even then it's mostly large walkways so you don't get too crowded.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We used snacks to get a muffin or pastry each morning at the hotel on the way to the bus, that should be plenty to hold you over until lunch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Please do! My wife and I are going later this year (hoping she'll get a good discount since she makes their gluten free breads and desserts)!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep, you get a free dining plan based on your hotel.

Value resorts get the Basic plan with 2 quick service and one snack a day

Moderate resorts get the Plus plan with 1 quick service, 1 table service, and one snack a day

Deluxe resorts get the Deluxe plan with 2 tables service and one snack a day

The moderate/Plus plan is the sweet spot. You get a great hotel and a great meal each day and can snack the rest of the time. Two table services a day is just bonkers amounts of food and also takes up a lot of your time. I recommend Coronado Springs or Port Orleans for your resort.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just want to know what only cost $2 at the end there. That's cheaper than a bottle of water.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Agreed, our 4 day Disney cruise in December racked up a lot more than our 9 day Disney stay the previous year, and both trips included dining. Totally worth it though. I'll post our video from the trip shortly, it was pretty great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm driving for the next few hours but I'll think on it all and get back to you when I get home.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ja_raul posted:

If I book a multi day pass (using either park hopper or magic your way), does it have to be consecutive or can I check out the park on day 1&2, go check out other Orlando area sites on day 3&4 and go back to the park on 5&6?

On the same note as splitting up days.. are there recommended days for checking out certain parks? I'm personally not a huge huge Disney fan, but my co-travellers are and so I want to make sure we don't miss something that only happens once a week that they might really dig.

I've already yelped some other attractions in the area but if anyone has any recommendations on certain things to do outside of the park it would be appreciated.

Epcot looks like the most appealing thing from the list of attractions at the park, but would you guys recommend anything else in that same vein that is more adult oriented? Like what is the most impressive zoo?

I'm going to spend a good amount of time looking up the best bang for buck restaurants, I dont mind dropping good coin for good quality food. Also, I'm from Canada so are there USA only must have treats in the park that I should avoid missing?

Lastly, are there any attractions or events that I would have had to book weeks ago just to see when I go there tomorrow? Did I f this up by not planning months in advance?

Again sorry for the long post and dumb comments/questions, but this was sort of a last minute trip that I did not expect to happen.

You don't have to use your pass in consecutive days. You can go on day 1 & 2, then come back a few days later.

As for which day to go to which park, use this link and go to each park on a green day for the lowest crowd https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/crowd-calendar/

Make sure you catch the nighttime spectacular at each park (Wishes, Fantasmic, Illuminations). The best zoo is Animal Kingdom. I don't know how good/ethical Seaworld is, never been myself.

You'll be here during the flower and garden festival at EPCOT, so there's a ton of awesome and unique food from around the world available at booths throughout he Worlds Showcase.

Download the My Disney Experience app and set up your party and get fast passes for each park, specifically for the big attractions that you don't want to wait in a long line for. You can do this as soon as you have tickets.

Also, if you need recommendations for food outside of Disney or need help while you're here I'll be around, just post here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BoG is the best dinner in Magic Kingdom. The lamb was amazing. I think it's a better meal than Cinderella's Royal Table.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I had no idea that was open already. I might go check it out tonight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If Universal doesn't build a Weasly flying car ride they are bonkers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What time in Dec? The first half is nice and slow, low crowds, and great weather. Towards the holidays it gets crazy and I wouldn't recommend it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They're still at Downtown, but definitely not as big as they used to be.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tsum Tsums are definitely big. I've seen the displays empty a few times, and saw two girls all but fight over some when the employee was restocking them once. I think when the production ramps up they're going to push them hard.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I can snag one this week for you, defeldus@gmail.com just let me know what you want. Also, my wife is working the SWW events next weekend, I'm kind of jealous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Regarding your last paragraph, I've wondered about that a lot too. The only thing I can figure is some kind of licensing or contractual issue. They have to be aware (or planning) that Star Wars would be their next biggest cash cow behind Marvel, which they can't do yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Potter and Marvel are looming over Disney pretty heavily in Florida, and both EPCOT and HS are in desperate need of expansion and update (seriously, if you're not drunk or eating at EPCOT it's just a bunch of walking). A killer Star Wars expansion will make Hollywood exciting again along with the other changes, but that still leaves EPCOT floating with a lot of dead space. Animal Kingdom is actually poised to be pretty incredible once the new stuff launches, even if the IP is an odd choice. I'm excited as hell for the next 10 years, I think Disney will hit back hard (especially if they can somehow get the Marvel rights here too).

But yeah, Star Wars Weekends is probably a beta test for things to come.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: I'm aware that Dr. Seuss had some bomb-rear end theming, but as much as I like Islands of Adventure, the theming there is very schizophrenic (by nature). Seuss is top notch but being ignored, and it shows, Toon Lagoon is outdated, Super Hero Island is hilariously outdated, even as super hero poo poo is the most popular thing right now, because it looks like a city ripped from those 90's Marvel cartoons on Fox. Jurassic Park is simple but effective, Lost Continent was cool, but is now "Not Harry Potter", and Hogsmeade just got shown up by Diagon Alley. I'm curious to see how Kong will shape the future of the Islands, because if it's successful, I could see it expanding further into Toon Lagoon, and you know some sort of deal is coming w/r/t the Marvel superheroes. Probably not a deal to shut everything down, but one that will shape where they can go in the future.

I agree that Super Hero island is outdated, but it hits my childhood Fox cartoon nostalgia so hard that I never want it to change. Toon Lagoon has my favorite rides though. BBRB and Ripsaw Falls are easily my favorite water rides ever. Also, the Gringots and Transformers rides completely blew me away last year. Universal is killing it right now.

couldcareless posted:

I quite enjoy epcot for what it is. Rides be damned, walking around with a drink in hand seeing different performers at each country is one of my favorite things to do. I think some of what I like about it would be lost if they try and squeeze in some out of place attractions.

Hollywood studios needs the attention. They have, what, 5 total rides (not counting shows here) and tons of unused space with lots of potential. Lights motor action is on its way out, backlot tour (which I loved) shuttered, American Idol is done, big useless building that was formerly the Prince Caspian/Jack Sparrow thing is collecting dust. It's easy to forget how empty HS is becoming because it's hard to see past the rockin roller-coaster, tower of terror, and toy Story. I think I could easily spend more time at AK than HS these days.

EPCOT world showcase is great, but future world needs a lot more to do. It's easily a half-day park if the crowds aren't crazy. Hollywood is definitely getting a lot of attention next, right behind the AK expansions.

Also, a Universal water park sounds really amazing, hope that rumour comes true. And Disney's fifth park will be bonkers, I hope that's also true. Hell, if they start construction on a fifth park, they can leave HS and EPCOT to rot for all I care.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you prefer rides over shows/other attactions then yeah, you'll enjoy 2 days at Universal. You can easily spend a full day at each Disney park if you actually see/do everything, but that's not for everyone.