Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Axel Serenity posted:

With PNC in discussion, what other awesome ballparks feature "Hitting poo poo all the way into water?" Because those really are the best dingers.

Watery Ball Graves:
1. PNC
2. Kauffman
3. AT&T
4. ?

Doesn't Tropicana have a Devil Ray tank? Or is that in foul territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

tadashi posted:

Craig Robinson has an infographic about stadiums where it's possible to hit homers over international borders but none about state borders and I think that would be at least as interesting (but also a lot more work):

http://www.flipflopflyin.com/flipflopflyball/info-internationalhomers.html

They need to have the heights of the fence for those shots.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Red posted:

Doesn't Tropicana have a Devil Ray tank? Or is that in foul territory?

There's a net over it

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Angel Stadium has fountains in the outfield too. You'd need to hit a dinger about 500 feet to get it in there though.

Also the AL West is still sorely lacking in write-ups. Surely we have some AL West goons to do the needful?

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 26, 2013

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Marlins Park has a pool in LF, but thanks to this team being full of Juan Pierres, nobody's going to put one in there all year

El Oso Blanco will put another one in there when the Braves come back to town.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26177363&topic_id=players&c_id=atl&tcid=vpp_copy_26177363&v=3

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
That was a nice write-up on Dodger Stadium. I probably would have stressed more just how important it is to consume at least one Dodger Dog before you die, though. Grilled Farmer John all-beef dogs and the classic condiments. It doesn't feel like a baseball game without at least two of them sitting in my gut by the third inning. Also the garlic fries are loving delicious. He was right on the money about people heckling the crap out of opposing fans, too. Instead of cheering for our own teams, chants of "[your team] SUCKS" are pretty much an LA standard no matter what arena you're in. Used to be a lot worse. I went to a couple Dodger vs. Giants games where there were full-blown melees going on in various parts of the ballpark for the entire game, and you couldn't even concentrate because people were throwing so much poo poo and screaming at one another. Once, at one of these fierce rivalry games, some dumbass showed up dressed head to toe in Angels gear. The mob on both sides started pelting him and his son with beer bottles and food. They had to basically flee in terror and came back an hour later without any of their Angels stuff on.

The season after that was the one where that poor Giants fan nearly got killed by a couple of douchebags, which basically ruined everyone else's fun (and stadium attendance).
edit: I also want to stress how much easier the Stadium Express is than driving. I live in the SFV and last game I took the Orange Line -> Red Line -> Stadium Express instead of my car... I don't think I can ever go back. Painless by comparison. You other locals should try it sometime if you haven't.

davecrazy posted:

This is the neighborhood that surrounds Citi Field.
:stare:

Holy poo poo it looks like Africa or something. God drat.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 27, 2013

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

The Casualty posted:

It's a gorgeous neighborhood! Here are a few scenes that feature the ballpark in the frame.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Having never been to Citi Field I thought that was a joke, until I looked at Google Streetview. :stare:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah I saw that movie about that place... good place to go to get your car fixed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

davecrazy posted:

I think both buildings miss the mark in a lot of different ways. Citizens Bank got it all right and I was so excited for Citi Field thinking we'd get that same experience in New York but neither building feel like they work as well as CPB does and I even find myself missing Shea a lot these days. Funny thing is when Shea was on it's last legs I would tell my buddies how I couldent wait till we didn't have to watch baseball in such a shithole any more. Be careful what you wish for.

Totally agree i've been to Citizens bank park dozens of times since i was living in philly 5 years ago and it is an amazing place to see a game.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I honestly thought that was a joke picture meant to insult the surrounding area, god drat :(.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The only thing that really separates CBP from Citi is the fan atmosphere

MC_
Sep 11, 2003

That's the area east of Citi. Like I said earlier, Flushing Meadows is south of it and it's nice.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
You won't see the park unless you seek it out. You can't avoid 126th st. It's outside the ballpark gates.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I mean, if you cross the plaza from the 7 train you won't see anything except parking lots.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Ballpark In Arlington:
I would write more about the Ballpark in Arlington, but budget constraints and the fact i live on the other side of Dallas kind of limits my ability to go see them, and I average 1-2 games a year if that. I guess this info is good enough for the OP, so enjoy!

I guess a few points to make would be

-Hope you have a car, DFW has for-poo poo almost non-existent public transit and unless im smoking crack the DART lines don't run there.

-I recommend eating before you go, or buying something cheap to snack on, and having your real meal after the game. I can't justify paying the prices on the food/booze there most of the time, so unless you've got money to burn on horrifying gimmick food (I will do this next time I go), eat before you arrive and buy water/refreshments as necessary.

-Good parking costs a dickload.

-Good seats are usually reasonable. Not cheap, but reasonable. As long as it's not a major game, playoffs, or something, you can have 1st base, home plate, etc. for pretty cheap.

-Get there early to beat traffic.

-Unless it's a close game, leave an inning or half an inning early to beat exit traffic. If you wait till the game concludes and the stadium is full at all, you are looking at a pretty nightmarish escape from arlington.

-The food is expensive but often quite edible, we have access to some pretty good beer like Shiner and stuff, so if you're there for booze find the places where you can get Shinker Bock and the more local beers.

-As we get closer to late spring and summer, please avoid day games, and avoid seating that will put you into contact with the sun. You will die. Do not sit on the upper decks ever for any reason unless its an evening game. If you have a fair skin-type like me, it's seriously hell on earth.

-Dallas traffic can be a nightmare. If you're going to a weekday evening game, for the love of god get there before rush hour, or push it and get there a little late, after rush hour starts to subside.

-I have no history on the ballpark or anything to offer about that sort of thing, this is all my personal experiences, so someone else can build on this if they want into a better description of Arlington.

The main sticking point is that unless you want heart-attacks on a bun and expensive beer, this is Dallas Fort Worth, there is plenty of food to be had before or after a game.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 28, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

hemophilia posted:

-Hope you have a car, DFW has for-poo poo almost non-existent public transit and unless im smoking crack the DART lines don't run there.

quote:

Arlington is the largest city in the United States not served by a comprehensive public transportation system. Voters have eschewed funding a fixed-route bus transit system three times, though the first such attempt was back in 1980 and no attempts at passage have been made since 2002.

The city voters have rallied around two things:
1) If you can't drive a car, you shouldn't be around here you pinko poverty fucker.
2) Let's build a local economy around drunken sports fans.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ishin posted:

I honestly thought that was a joke picture meant to insult the surrounding area, god drat :(.

Yeah I just figured that was Haiti, that picture is not only in a major American city but right outside their big stadium for their well known sports team, god drat.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

The only thing that really separates CBP from Citi is the fan atmosphere

I've been to CBP and while I agree it's in a lovely location, it isn't across the street from downtown loving Mogadishu like Citi appears to be.

MC_
Sep 11, 2003

davecrazy posted:

You won't see the park unless you seek it out. You can't avoid 126th st. It's outside the ballpark gates.

I've never seen 126th street and I've been to Citi a ton of times. You take the 7 train in and you never see any of the auto shops.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is my favourite Citi Field picture, because it also includes the Amway store built into the stadium. I can't believe whoever did a writeup failed to mention it.

Bring on the All-Star Game!

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

hemophilia posted:

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington

To add a little:

- Seriously, there's no mass transit. You're gonna have to drive, but if you don't mind parking further out, there's places to park for $5/free that will shuttle you to and from your lot. I know of a couple lots that charge $5, and I know both Sherlock's and Humperdink's (restaurant/bars) have shuttles over. Otherwise you'll pay $10 and walk for awhile, or $15 to get reasonably close.

- There's plenty of gimmick-y food to try, but by and large the food isn't very good. Splurge on the garlic fries if you must, or go on a Wednesday for dollar hot dogs. Otherwise, you can bring in food and non-alcoholic drinks in a small bag. Check their website for the exact size, but I've even seen people bring in Subway from a nearby parking lot.

- Cheap beer ranges from $5 to $10 for 12-24oz. You'll find a few "Beers of the World" stands around if you're wanting something a bit better, and those are typically about $7 for 12oz. There is also a bar that serves liquor on the club level - "Dublin Up" on the 3B/LF side. In recent years, they've started enforcing the rule that liquor can't leave the pub itself, so don't plan on taking a scotch back to your seats, even if they're immediately in front of the pub.

- Excluding day games, where we all melt into a gelatinous goo, the 1B side gets shade earlier. Keep that in mind for your July/August games.

- Here's probably the biggest thing that wasn't mentioned above - since Josh killed that guy, the Rangers replaced the railings at the front of all sections, making them 2-3 times as tall. If you're in the first 4-5 rows of the upper deck (specifically behind home plate), or the first 3-4 rows on the club level, you're going to be looking through these railings. I can tell you that I much prefer sitting in rows 5-10 rather than 1-5 when getting tickets on the upper deck.

- As far as good seats/bad seats go,
Lower Reserved: First 5-10 rows of RF sections are good. Further back and you'll lose some of the high hit balls, but you'll be covered by the overhang (which has a few fans going to try and keep you cool). LF section is fine, but don't expect any protection from the sun.
Outfield Plaza: I'm coming around on these seats. You get no protection from the sun, but you're straight away in CF sitting near either the home or away bullpen. Furthermore, the food plaza in CF has great selections.
Corner Box: Good seats, but you're pretty much guaranteed to lose the corner of whichever side you're sitting on. Probably a bit more-so on the 1B side.
Club level: Suprisingly, not crazy expensive unless you're trying to sit right behind home plate. Club Terrace tickets are probably the best value, but watch out for the LF seats that put you behind the foul pole.
Lower Box: The 1xx sections really kinda suck. They're covered, but MUCH of your view is restricted by the overhang. These seats should be only for the folks who want lower level tickets but want to be protected from the sun. (It's still loving hot here, though - the fans in this section are nowhere near the same as those in RF)

- There's not much in the way of baseball attractions around the park. The Rangers have their Hall of Fame at the Ballpark, but I don't recall it being particularly worthwhile.

When I make a trek to RBIA, it basically plays out like this: Buy cheap Upper Box or Outfield Plaza tickets on Stubhub, waste the money I saved on Stubhub to park decently close-by, bring in a large water/soda and some sunflower seeds (they DON'T sell seeds at the Ballpark, FYI), and don't forget the hat/sunglasses/sunscreen.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Thanks for the Arlington info guys. I'm moving to Euless next month to escape the Northeast and was looking for write ups. Is July/August completely off the table even at night or are only the day games insufferable?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Axel Serenity posted:

With PNC in discussion, what other awesome ballparks feature "Hitting poo poo all the way into water?" Because those really are the best dingers.

Watery Ball Graves:
1. PNC
2. Kauffman
3. AT&T
4. ?
the swampy vacant lot behind the left field wall of Busch Stadium that is totally going to become Ballpark Village any day now

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The "lol chop shop" thing is being vastly overstated and isn't representative of the entire area around Citifield or Queens in general so like I'm not sure why it's even really a discussion anymore. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the overall in-stadium fan experience.

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 27, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

The "lol chop shop" thing is being vastly overstated and isn't representative of the entire area around Citifield or Queens in general so like I'm not sure why it's even really a discussion anymore. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the overall in-stadium fan experience.

Well it looks like something straight out of Sudan because I've never been to the inner-city before

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Akileese posted:

Thanks for the Arlington info guys. I'm moving to Euless next month to escape the Northeast and was looking for write ups. Is July/August completely off the table even at night or are only the day games insufferable?

Its totally fine for night games. You might be in the sun for an inning or two, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is that literally where all the stolen cars in NYC go? That is kind of amazing to have a specialized neighborhood like that which from appearamces no rational person would ever go to or use.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 28, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

euphronius posted:

Is that literarily where all the stolen cars in NYC go? That is kind of amazing to have a specialized neighborhood like that which from appearamces no rational person would ever go to or use.

Yes, and having the organized crime influences so close to the ballpark has caused the Mets some issues. But it's really only fronting a very small portion of the park, most of the area is your typical parking lots, highways, and parks.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

The city voters have rallied around two things:
1) If you can't drive a car, you shouldn't be around here you pinko poverty fucker.
2) Let's build a local economy around drunken sports fans.

You would be amazed how many DFW towns do poo poo like this.

Edit: I had a stupid rant here, and none of the stuff that was between the above sentence and below paragraph had anything to do with baseball, so I edited it out, sorry.

Aside from all the Ballpark In Arlington points I mentioned earlier, I will say I think it's a very pretty sports venue, and it feels retro without feeling lovely. It's usually well kept and with the exception of some of the seating the view is often quite nice. It's a nice park in the wrong place, basically.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 28, 2013

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Okay so I went to Comerica for Anibal's cool Strike Out Everyone game and here's some stuff.

I paid 9 bucks for some nosebleeds, ended up standing with the statues in left field which is probably my favorite place in the stadium. Pretty good attendance for a pretty miserable night of weather.

I couldn't find the helmet full of nachos, it appears they got rid of it :(

5 dollar High Lifes are gone :(

We actually took a walk through the team shop, 55 bucks for a tank top get the gently caress out of here.

Bookies still has a pitcher and 4 shots for like 13 bucks.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Detroit_Dogg posted:

We actually took a walk through the team shop, 55 bucks for a tank top get the gently caress out of here.

I'm not sure about other franchises, but don't ever buy merch from Comerica park. Ever.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, home of the Royals

Kauffman stadium opened in 1973, and received a badly-needed renovation a few years ago which widened the concourses, added outfield attractions, and a lot of new concessions. Catching a game here is now a much better experience. The most well-known feature is of course the 322-foot long fountain and waterfall display beyond the outfield stretching from left to right field. This is the largest known privately-funded fountain in the world. Note the many signs warning that anyone who goes into the fountains will be "arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law". There is also a very large video board which was briefly the largest high-definition video board in the world, which was quickly dwarfed by Seattle's video board and the display in Jerryworld. If you are stuck with bored kids who can't sit still through a ballgame, there are a lot of fun things to do designed to entertain kids beyond the outfield.

Parking: Parking is extremely easy, because the Truman Sports Complex (home of both the Chiefs and Royals) on the east edge of Kansas City is surrounded by a gigantic parking lot intended to satisfy the parking needs for a modern football stadium. Parking is about $11. There is no other reasonable way to get to the stadium other than driving, unless you are staying at one of the 2 nearby hotels, which are within walking distance. Tailgating is very common here.

Stuff to do around the stadium before/after the game: Nothing. This area is very undeveloped, you've got a couple hotels, gas stations, a Denny's, Subway, and a Taco Bell. Thats it, its pretty much fields, trees, and roads besides that. The scenery beyond the outfield in the image above is a representative sample of the stuff surrounding the stadium.

Tickets/Seats: There are really no bad seats here or obstructed views. The upper deck gives you a great view of the game. I'm not sure what it looks like from the outfield, since I never sit there. I do know that if you sit near the fountains on a windy day, prepare to be occasionally sprayed. In prior years when the team was God-awful, seats were very, very cheap. You could routinely get an upper-level seat from stubhub for about $5, and great lower level seats for about $30. Right now with the team doing reasonably well, I can't find a ticket anywhere for less than ~$13 during the week or about $40 for lower-level seats. The premium seats are still about the same, if you are willing to spend about $70, you can get into the Diamond Club in the middle of the week.

Concessions: One thing Kansas City does well is food. There is a sports bar beyond the outfield, a Sheridan's frozen custard, a barbeque joint offering barbeque sandwiches, burnt ends, and ribs, a couple places offer 4 different kinds of cheese fries including bacon and blue cheese fries, we've got beer from the Boulevard brewery, another place offers steak and cheese sandwiches, and there's also the usual ballpark fare of hot dogs, brats, etc.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 10, 2014

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

JediGandalf posted:

I like Busch Stadium. A bit of an annual tradition a friend and I started is that we would meet in St. Louis every Padres-Cardinals series. She spent some time in St. Louis and grew fond of baseball hence became a Cardinals fan. And then there is me. I enjoy the trip and I've never had once a problem being the visitor fan there. This year the series is right after the All Star Break so I can expect it to be torridly hot won't I.

Make sure your will is up to date

But seriously, I've seen a fairly large number of people collapse from the heat/humidity while waiting for the gates to open over the years, so just make sure you have plenty of water and you'll be fine

My favorite spot during the summer is on the 3rd base side of the Redbird Club (sec 254-257); you'll be in the shade and you can go inside the club to cool off with the AC when you get miserable

Also regarding thunderstorms, they can be pretty fun at Busch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv1ixb78D-4

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 28, 2013

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Northjayhawk posted:

Great writeup but as a New Yorker I am laughing so hard at you complaining about $10 parking not being cheap. Also that you are complaining about $40 for lower level seats being pricey.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I think that's just St. Louis in general. Passing out from heat exhaustion seems to be something that people enjoy doing with great frequency around here, whether it's at Busch or anywhere else.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I actually liked the old Kauffman stadium more. Maybe its a nostalgic thing to me but I enjoyed the vast open green areas beyond the walls. The new scoreboard is really awesome though and I'm glad they kept the shape of the original.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zakharov posted:

Great writeup but as a New Yorker I am laughing so hard at you complaining about $10 parking not being cheap. Also that you are complaining about $40 for lower level seats being pricey.
$10 parking is cheap anywhere at this point, especially for most sports games

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Northjayhawk posted:

Stuff to do around the stadium before/after the game: Nothing. This area is very undeveloped, you've got a couple hotels, gas stations, a Denny's, Subway, and a Taco Bell. Thats it, its pretty much fields, trees, and roads besides that. The scenery beyond the outfield in the image above is a representative sample of the stuff surrounding the stadium.
The Arrowhead Stadium tour is pretty great, and it's a good way to stay inside and kill a couple of hours on a hot summer day before an evening game. I'm not even a Chiefs fan and I had an awesome time when I went last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The Casualty posted:

I was afraid to say anything, because I thought I missed some sort of joke. But that looks like a third world country alright. Also, as someone who has never been to a baseball game: why would there be a pool inside the ballpark?

• Locked thread