Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Awesome OClock posted:

Getting There: No matter how you slice it, Boston is an awful place to park. Any one game could cost you up to $40 to park in any independently owned lot or garage. If a 25 minute minute walk doesn't bother you, there's occasionally reasonably priced parking ($7 is the most I've ever paid,) in Central Square in Cambridge, but again, it's not exactly close.

The T (subway) is perhaps the quickest and cheapest way to get to Fenway. Any Green Line Train, aside from E will take you directly to Kenmore Square, where Fenway is no more than a 3 minute walk. Be warned; since this is the most popular route, it tends to fill up and crowed very quickly.

Someone in Boston might tell me I'm an idiot, but if you don't mind walking a mile or so, there should be parking on Beacon. The meters run until 8 PM (I've gotten caught thinking it was six) but I've parked in that area during Sox home games and found some parking. There's some pretty good restaurants in that area as well if you want to avoid ballpark food. You might also get lucky around Comm and Harvard, but that's about a mile and a half away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Detroit crew: is Comerica a safe/easy walk from the hotels on Michigan Ave? Looks like, on Google Maps.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
How would you recommend getting to Fenway if you're staying by Harvard Square? I'm going up there in July and have no desire to drive to the ballpark.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Detroit crew: is Comerica a safe/easy walk from the hotels on Michigan Ave? Looks like, on Google Maps.

You'll be fine anywhere within walking distance, the downtown area is just as safe as any other big city.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

TL posted:

How would you recommend getting to Fenway if you're staying by Harvard Square? I'm going up there in July and have no desire to drive to the ballpark.

You could walk it if you really wanted to.

Luckily for you, Harvard Square is on the Red Line, so you could take it to Park Street, then transfer to the Green Line which you'd take to Kenmore. Like I mentioned in my post, however, this is the preferred route, so be ready to fight for a spot on the train. Not to mention, by doing this, you'd essentially be moving backward to go forward, and therefore would probably take longer than it would just to walk.

If you decided to walk from Harvard/Central Square, it's a straight shot on Mass. Ave straight back into Boston, then your 2nd right after the bridge will take you onto Commonwealth Ave, and you're essentially there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GreenCard78 posted:

Mmmm, Old Bay goes on everything. I work at Camden Yards, not for baseball, but concessions. I have tried almost everything except for a few things and it's all pretty good.

You didn't mention Gino's :cmon:

You're right! The chain has great milkshakes - does the stand at Camden Yards have them?

Also, Camden Yards has Stuggy's, a fantastic hot dog joint that does amazing fries, too.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I'll offer some thoughts having gone to US Cellular Field for the first time a week ago.

-Walking the half-mile or whatever from the green line was easy and felt very safe (there were plenty of police officers stationed along the way)
-Tickets were cheap. I spent only $20 at the box and got seats at the field level in right field by the foul pole
-It smells delicious. I'm a regular at Petco, Angel Stadium, Dodger Stadium, and Chase Field and the first thing I noticed upon entering the concourse at the Cell was how wonderful the food all smelled.
-The Polish was pretty drat good eating for a pretty reasonable (ballpark) price of 5.50
-The vibe of the stadium seemed much more oriented towards baseball than the stadiums I usually go to. It's not that there weren't pretty girls throwing out souvenirs to the crowd, or flashing lights on the scoreboard, or the kiss-cam, or displays about the White Sox's past, but it was all way more subdued than I'm used to. There's just a lot less going on other than the baseball. And a lot less advertising (Angel Stadium, I'm looking at you).
-On a related note, it's also clear that a lot of people are there for the baseball rather than as a family outing, which I see a lot of at Angel Stadium, Chase, and Petco.
-The fans were also getting drrruuuuuunk
-People heckled the poo poo out of Marcell Ozuna and he was paying way more attention to them than he should have been

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Turner Field, Home of the Atlanta Braves

Turner Field (aka "The Ted") is adapted from Centennial Olympic Stadium which was built as the centerpiece of the 1996 Summer Olympics and is located across the street from the Braves' old stadium, Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. While it's a modern stadium, it stands out from other stadiums built around that time as it is not a "throw-back" style baseball field.

Getting there: Turner Field is located a little south of downtown Atlanta in the transitional neighborhood of Summerhill, just south of I-20 and east of I-75/I-85. There is plenty of parking around the stadium including official lots and privately owned lots. You can usually park for $10 if you plan it correctly (either by finding a discounted pass ahead of time or just driving around and finding a good lot). You can also get to the field through MARTA by taking the Blue/Green line to the 5 Points Station (aka Underground Atlanta) and then taking the free shuttle to the field. MARTA trains are pretty easy to figure out because they only go North/South or East/West for the most part.

Tailgating: People love to tailgate before games and there's a generally friendly atmosphere. The prime locations for tailgating are in the upper blue lot which you can buy a pass for ahead of the game. The upper blue lot features a decent grassy area with trees if you get there early enough. Be sure to check out the "lower" blue lot on your way into the stadium which was built on the footprint of the old field at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium and features the original marker where Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run. People tend to give you a hard time if you're wearing other teams' logos but it's usually in good fun (before the game, anyway) and you'll find plenty of people in visiting team jerseys since Atlanta is a pretty big melting pot. Like most stadiums, you can bring un-opened food/drinks into the stadium.

Tickets and Seating location: You can get a general admission pass for like $6 to a lot of games and just hang out in the general admission areas. It's pretty easy to find empty seats during games. Turner faces northeast and is very open so there's almost no avoiding the sun during the day. You can get a great view of downtown Atlanta at night if you sit in the upper deck behind home plate.. There isn't really a bad seat in the house. The atmosphere in most sections is what you'd expect: families in the cheap seats and drunk people heckling players in the bleachers. My recommendation is to just find tickets on Stubhub.

Atmosphere: Be forewarned that Turner has dedicated fans but not the most educated fans. I think "The Chop" is the most racist thing remaining in professional American sports and they do it all the time. There is a lot of stuff going on between innings and you may see multiple waves if you're here on the right night. People are generally friendly, though, and I think Braves fans got a bad wrap during the wild card game last year. Most of the trouble I've seen is caused by fans of visiting teams.

Concessions: Turner has some pretty good options. You can pick up a Sweetwater 420 (which is Atlanta's largest local brewer) as you enter the stadium and a Holeman and Finch burger at their stand behind centerfield, under the giant scoreboard. There are a decent assortment of beers in addition to your usual yellow beers around the stadium and most vendors can point you in the right direction if you know what you want. The stadium features some mainstays of the Atlanta culinary scene, such as Holeman and Finch and Kevin Rathbun Steak. Here's a good write-up on the food: http://clatl.com/atlanta/glutton-at-large-turner-field/Content?oid=8148669

If you're coming into Atlanta for a game, I recommend you save some of your money for some of the awesome restaurants that have sprung up. You can find most of them in the "Layover" episode dedicated to Atlanta. Octopus Bar, in particular, is a prime foody destination and is located about 5 minutes away in East Atlanta (don't try to walk there from the field because you might get mugged/shot).

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/the-layover/episodes/atlanta

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 30, 2013

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Xenophon posted:

-People heckled the poo poo out of Marcell Ozuna and he was paying way more attention to them than he should have been
Did you go to the Saturday game too? Because Ozuna forgot how many outs there were and flipped the ball to a fan and started jogging in with two down, and hoooo boy did the Sox faithful let him have it for the rest of the game.

Your post was good. I'd add that (for those curious) there's a great beer stand behind Section 142(?) that has a huge selection of awesome brews like Bell's for $7-$8, which is about the price of a Miller anywhere else in the park.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The Prisoner posted:

Did you go to the Saturday game too? Because Ozuna forgot how many outs there were and flipped the ball to a fan and started jogging in with two down, and hoooo boy did the Sox faithful let him have it for the rest of the game.

Your post was good. I'd add that (for those curious) there's a great beer stand behind Section 142(?) that has a huge selection of awesome brews like Bell's for $7-$8, which is about the price of a Miller anywhere else in the park.

Only the Friday game, one of the guys heckling him even yelled "I wish I knew more about you so I could make this more personal." He kept looking over at the stands, even during at-bats. I know he's doing fairly well so far, but c'mon rook, head in the game.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Miller Park, Home of the Milwaukee Brewers

Miller Park is one of the most expensive bars in Wisconsin. Parking alone is about $10-$15, and then you have anywhere from a $6 cover up to $100, depending on when you want to go and how many flights of stairs you want to walk up. Even the beer is expensive - Miller drafts are $5.50, with Milwaukee or New Glarus breweries at $6.50. That's like Chicago or Minneapolis expensive. That's why everyone brings the cooler and grill - grab the 24 pack of High Life, get blitzed while you cook burgers and brats, and argue about how much of a jerk Jennings is for being a Viking. Just make sure you get in the building by halftime, otherwise you'll miss the sausage races.

Getting to the stadium probably means you'll be driving - there isn't much around Miller Park except highways and parking lots. Again, just gives you more of an excuse to pre-game.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

bawfuls posted:

I'm real late to this, but I have two additions to the Dodger Stadium write up.

First of all, NEVER use Stadium Way to get into the park. I grew up in Glendale, and we always came down the 5 to the 110, exiting at a little spur on Academy Road, to use the Academy entrance. This entrance works from the south/east as well, (you can get to Academy from Broadway) assuming you have a manageable way to get through downtown. Academy is usually fine, but for any big series or promotion, you have to get there early no matter what.

Chavez Ravine desperately needs a light rail spur extension into the parking lots, but that's not gonna happen any time soon unfortunately. (ownership should pay for it outright, in my opinion)

For seating, I think the lower rows of the Reserve level (the light blue level, 3rd one up), between the bases (sections 1-16), are the best value. They go for $20-30 for normal games, dynamic pricing bumps them as high as $60 I think for a few games a year. I am probably biased however, as my dad's had season tickets in the 4th row of the Reserve for 30 years. For lower attendance games (mid-week vs. the Marlins or whatever) I'd recommend grabbing seats way down the line in the Loge level on stub hub and just moving to the infield in the 2nd or 3rd inning. I've never seen ushers regularly checking tickets at the top of aisles.

~Back-In-Tha-Day~ when the team was lousy in the early-mid 90's, we used to be able to sneak down to vacant seats in the Loge and even Field levels from the Reserve, but these days the ushers at the internal stairwells will typically check your ticket and prevent you from going down a level. I was able to go from the Top Deck down to the Reserve level on opening day this year however. (couldn't snag a seat obviously, but there's more food options)

shh don't tell about the secret entrance!!!

If I'm just buying a ticket at the gate, I always go Top Deck. If you really want to move down, you're allowed to move from TD to Reserved freely now. I don't know why, but who cares, don't ask questions.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

any stadium that doesn't have bleachers is a poo poo baseball watching experience imo.

was so happy that new busch put them in instead of some poo poo beer garden or rainforest cafe or something.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

TL posted:

Red line to Central is the way to go. Give yourself some time, bring a road soda if that's your thing. As long as the weather is reasonable it's actually a pretty nice walk past MIT and over the river.

gently caress the Green line, for ever and ever amen.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Xenophon posted:

-On a related note, it's also clear that a lot of people are there for the baseball rather than as a family outing, which I see a lot of at Angel Stadium, Chase, and Petco.
-The fans were also getting drrruuuuuunk
-People heckled the poo poo out of Marcell Ozuna

I'm curious, what stadium atmosphere did you prefer?

Love your description and it's pretty spot on. I was at Sunday's game and everyone chanted "PAAAABLOOOO" at Ozuna all game (alluding to the White Sox Legend).

Sundays are also $5 tickets, and for $5 at the Cell you can get into the bullpen sports bar early and have these seats:

A good deal if you don't care about seeing the rest of the place

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 31, 2013

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

Ace Jameson posted:

Red line to Central is the way to go. Give yourself some time, bring a road soda if that's your thing. As long as the weather is reasonable it's actually a pretty nice walk past MIT and over the river.

gently caress the Green line, for ever and ever amen.

A man after my own heart. I google map'd it; 55 minutes walking from Harvard Square to Kenmore, assuming you're going Mass Ave to Commonwealth. It's a scenic walk too.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Thanks for the recent write-ups guys. There's still a few non-shithole stadiums that haven't been covered yet.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

angrygodofjebus posted:

I'm curious, what stadium atmosphere did you prefer?

I'm kind of torn on this question since I really enjoy both for different reasons. In the long run though I think I prefer the atmosphere at Petco and Chase. If you want to focus on the baseball, you still can, and if you want to walk around and do other stuff it's available. I mean, at Petco you can take your picture with a cardboard cutout of Jerry Coleman as a WWII marine pilot, which is just cool, and they have models of aircraft carriers and such since the Navy base is right there. You just have to deal with a fat lady ostensibly rooting for the Padres bringing in an entire backpack stuffed with food (what we termed her 'feedbag') and screaming at Ryan Ludwick that he was a AAA player. I guess US Cellular mostly felt like it was focused on the baseball but sometimes just felt a bit threadbare or stripped-down. I still loved it though!

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I loved Petco when I went back in 05 for White Sox-Padres. It's such a nice park and the people were all friendly.

Even when Brian Giles homered and I yelled, "That coulda been Jason Bay!" the guy in front of me was just like "yeah...:smith:"

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think Petco is the friendliest atmosphere I've ever been at. Angel Stadium is a pretty friendly place too; I've never been given poo poo for being a White Sox fan, even when AJ was up to bat, and in fact last time I went the guy I paid parking to pointed at the Sox logo on my jersey and just went on for awhile about what a cool logo it was, and how classic it looked, etc.

One time my Padres friend and I were sitting next to a Phillies couple who were telling us about how some "ghetto Padres thugs" were giving them poo poo the previous night, and we were confused until about the 7th inning when the (now plastered) guy jumped over 5 rows of seats to scream in another guy's face (he had dared point out that a 2-0 lead was not really kicking the Padres' rear end) and had to be ejected. The Phillies couple were also huge Raul Ibanez fans and had brought posters extolling what a great guy he was, so there was that. Stadium memories, guys, I have to bore you with them because no one else will listen.

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 1, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers

Hi guys, I'm cbx, and I actually work for the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park. They give us these things called A-Z guides that have the answer to almost any question we get asked, so I guess I'll go through and post some info.

Getting There: Comerica Park is located directly off of Interstate 75 in the Foxtown area of northern downtown Detroit. You can easily take exit 50 (Grand River Avenue) and turn left to find numerous parking lots in the city blocks behind the Fox/Fillmore Theaters. If you live northwest of Detroit, you can take Woodward Ave. directly to Comerica Park. If you live northeast of Detroit, take Interstate 94 west to I-75 and follow the signs to Comerica. You can also try 94 to Gratiot Ave, which will put you in the same area, but you'll have a lot more traffic lights to deal with. If you're west of Detroit, Interstate 96 to Interstate 75 N will get you right to the park. If you live in Detroit (hahaha no one lives in detroit), jump on the People Mover, and get off at Grand Circus Park. You'll have a 2 block walk to Gate B.

Parking: Olympia Developments operates a bunch of parking lots around Foxtown, and most are fairly cheap, from $5-25 the closer you get to Comerica. There is free parking at nights on the Detroit streets, but beware: I have noticed that on some nights, when the Yankees come to town, their fans' vehicles that are parked on dimly-lit streets sometimes get broken into. Moral of the story: Don't take anything expensive to downtown Detroit. Ideally, you want a lot with an on-duty attendant. Handicap parking is available in front of Comerica Park at Gate A.

Tickets/Seating: My bosses know that there's a lot of money being spent on talent on the field, so they're expecting a lot of money to be spent in the stands. The problem is, it's Detroit. Some people have a lot of money; most have only a little. So, there's something for everyone. Bleacher seats can be had for $13, and on-deck circle area seats normally go for $77. Skyline seats are in the LF corner in the highest level, and are only $12, but are easily the worst seats. Look on stubhub and make sure you have a decent printer; the scanners we ushers have for tickets can be very temperamental. And just so you know, you have free reign of the ballpark from the moment your ticket is scanned until you leave, but you can't move seats during the game. (Unless you know me or one of the other ushers personally and we know there isn't going to be someone in those seats.)

Park Attractions: There's a few. My favorite is very underwhelming to most people, but there's a Tigers Walk of Fame that starts out by section 139 and ends up by section 116 or so, and it examines the franchise over the decades, with actual gloves and jerseys from famous players like Ty Cobb, Mickey Cochrane, Charlie Gehringer, Hal Newhouser, Virgil Trucks, Al Kaline, and others. There's also a Tigers-themed carousel, and a ferris wheel with baseball-themed seating. Out in left field, there's a statue garden depicting Tigers legends Willie Horton, Cobb, Gehringer, Hank Greenberg, Newhouser, and Kaline. In center field, on top of the Chevrolet Fountain, is a Liquid Fireworks display that shoots synchronized jets of water in different lit colors when the Tigers score a run, win a game, or host an actual fireworks display. Speaking of actual fireworks, we started shooting them off last week after the Friday night game, and we will do them again after every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night game (night meaning a 7:08 PM start).

Concessions: There's some great food at Comerica, and then there's some decent food. Nothing's really bad, in my opinion, and I eat the stuff every day I work there. Mr. Ilitch also owns Little Caesars' Pizza, and they actually have some of their corporate offices in Comerica Park, so of course, the pizza fare is Little Caesars. Ignore the standard slices, though, and look for the SuperSlices. More cheese, more toppings, better value for the money. If you want more sophisticated fare, head out to the Michigan Craft Beer restaurant, underneath the Molson Blue Light Jungle bar out by gate B at section 106. They've got Bacon on a Stick, deep-fried Red Hot sausages, Bavarian pretzels with Michigan Beer Cheese, and grilled Michigan cheese sandwiches. And some awesome craft beers from local breweries. If you're cheap, hit up one of the various Big League Grills around the park, for their $5 hot dog/chips/drink value meal.

If you guys have any questions about anything I didn't cover, just ask me or PM me. I love the Tigers and I love talking about them and helping people out.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Do you know a Vietnam vet/current history teacher that's been ushering for a zillion years by chance?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Okay so I went to Comerica for Anibal's cool Strike Out Everyone game and here's some stuff.

I paid 9 bucks for some nosebleeds, ended up standing with the statues in left field which is probably my favorite place in the stadium. Pretty good attendance for a pretty miserable night of weather.

I couldn't find the helmet full of nachos, it appears they got rid of it :(

5 dollar High Lifes are gone :(

We actually took a walk through the team shop, 55 bucks for a tank top get the gently caress out of here.

Bookies still has a pitcher and 4 shots for like 13 bucks.

Helmet full of nachos is from the Big Cat Court mexican place.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Do you know a Vietnam vet/current history teacher that's been ushering for a zillion years by chance?

If an usher isn't around my age, they're all either retired or close to retiring, and most of them were either teachers or union workers. If you've got a first name, I can give you a definite yes/no.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
When will the Tigers put up another giant historical bat, and update the player banners around the concourse?

Right now, the Tigers' history ends with Juan Gonzalez leading the Tigers to a new future in a new stadium.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

When will the Tigers put up another giant historical bat, and update the player banners around the concourse?

Right now, the Tigers' history ends with Juan Gonzalez leading the Tigers to a new future in a new stadium.

Don't quote me on this, but that's probably going to happen between the 2014-2015 seasons. They're trying to find a way to diplomatically dance around 2003 without insulting the fanbase.

e: It's not a high priority, sadly. I wish it was, but we're having... personnel issues at the moment.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cbx posted:

Don't quote me on this, but that's probably going to happen between the 2014-2015 seasons. They're trying to find a way to diplomatically dance around 2003 without insulting the fanbase.

e: It's not a high priority, sadly. I wish it was, but we're having... personnel issues at the moment.

What is there to dance around? It's a team-written history.

By the way, I work with the Red Wings' organization and indirectly with parts of the Tigers', if there's anything I can do to push things along, let me know. There's a lot of little things that I can think of to do.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

What is there to dance around? It's a team-written history.

By the way, I work with the Red Wings' organization and indirectly with parts of the Tigers', if there's anything I can do to push things along, let me know. There's a lot of little things that I can think of to do.

I know. And real fans would understand why 2003 deserves a mention. But the wallet warriors that attend, and spend 750 dollars on a Miguel Cabrera game-worn Memorial Day hat, and 200 dollars on concessions, don't necessarily want to be reminded of those dark days. Comerica Park is basically selling a fun night out at the baseball game, and they try to tune everything to that end.

As far as improving the write-up on Comerica, go ahead. I'm not the only point of view that can be heard, and I'm sure you've got a lot of stuff to add that I have no clue about. :)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cbx posted:

I know. And real fans would understand why 2003 deserves a mention. But the wallet warriors that attend, and spend 750 dollars on a Miguel Cabrera game-worn Memorial Day hat, and 200 dollars on concessions, don't necessarily want to be reminded of those dark days. Comerica Park is basically selling a fun night out at the baseball game, and they try to tune everything to that end.

The entire mention of 2003 should be entirely on how that led to Pudge Rodriguez' signing that invigorated the team, led to 2006, et cetera. Also, some of the banners hanging from the upper deck (in the main concourse) could use some new blood too. The major problem with not having that bat is that the 2006 and 2012 teams deserve somewhere permanent at the ballpark, like all the other great teams.

In going to a lot of games, there's many different audiences outside of those that would care about those bats. The sizable group that would care about those bats would be different than those riding the carousel, the lower deck is a different crowd than the upper deck. There's room for everyone at Comerica Park. :)

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Yup. Like I said, it's probably not a priority for them right now, but it's definitely something I will pass along to my supervisors and see how far I can get with it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cbx posted:

Yup. Like I said, it's probably not a priority for them right now, but it's definitely something I will pass along to my supervisors and see how far I can get with it.

I'll even suggest what can go on it.

My company does all of the laser-etched framed pieces inside the team store and the MLB Authentic trailer, so I've got plenty of little ideas to improve the experience for everybody.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Alright. When the Tigers return to Comerica on the 4th of June, I'll make a mention of it. I'll come back a few days later with specific suggestions (whatever you've got in mind) as a follow-up.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cbx posted:

Alright. When the Tigers return to Comerica on the 4th of June, I'll make a mention of it. I'll come back a few days later with specific suggestions (whatever you've got in mind) as a follow-up.

What is your email?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

cbx posted:

Helmet full of nachos is from the Big Cat Court mexican place.

If an usher isn't around my age, they're all either retired or close to retiring, and most of them were either teachers or union workers. If you've got a first name, I can give you a definite yes/no.

Thank you, you rule and next time I go I will have much happiness.

His first name is Carl, last name is pretty German.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

What is your email?

cmbattershell at gmail dot com

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Thank you, you rule and next time I go I will have much happiness.

His first name is Carl, last name is pretty German.

Carl Weiss.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
If you know Carl the Snarl you're cool with me. Also please make Comerica have dollar dog days like Cleveland, thanks.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
As someone who's moving to Detroit in the near future and wants to watch a lot of baseball, all that info is real helpful and way more informative than what I was able to find online. Thanks!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Bard Maddox posted:

As someone who's moving to Detroit in the near future and wants to watch a lot of baseball, all that info is real helpful and way more informative than what I was able to find online. Thanks!

Where are you moving in Detroit?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So it looks like I'm going to finally get to do an MLB trip this summer after all, so this thread is awesome.

We're hitting US Cellular, Comerica, Progressive, PNC, Wrigley, Target Field, Miller Park, and Great American Ballpark :allears:

Combo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 3, 2013

m5ind
Jun 6, 2011

Musical, you say?
Progressive Field

But I and everyone I know will always call the Jake.

Getting there is really not too bad depending on where you're coming from. If you're coming from the west side anywhere between downtown and the airport then the red line rapid is the way to go. If you're visiting the city there are a few good chain hotels near the airport that are right next to the red line, especially near Puritas station, that will give you good access to both the airport and downtown and thus the stadium. From the northeast suburbs, the red line is good as well, so is the new silver line brt. From the east and southeast the blue and green lines are the best options. If you're already downtown, the waterfront line (when its running) or the NineTwelve trolley (which is only $1.50 one way) are good options. An all day pass (unlimited transfers, good on both buses and trains) will only run you about $5. The trains will take you to Tower City/Public Square station, and then it's a five minute walk through Tower City mall and the Walkway to Gateway, all inside and air conditioned, to Quicken Loans Arena, which is literally right next to the ballpark.

Now, coming from the south is a bit trickier. Baseball season coincides with road construction season in Cleveland. I always just drove to the nearest rapid station if I knew traffic was going to be bad. If you're set on driving, parking is reasonable at about $10-$15 to park in the garage right next to the park. The garage has direct access to the park, so it's real easy to find your way in and its no walk at all.

The immediate area around the park is a little sparse, the freeway, community college and east Erie st. cemetery are about it. Take a bit of a walk north into the city and you'll find some cool places. The Winking Lizard is one of the better bars around the park. As said before the train dumps you into Tower City, which is a pretty nice shopping mall. There's the Hard Rock Cafe in tower city, as well as a movie theatre. The new Horseshoe Casino opened up in the Higbee Building next to Tower City as well, so you can get your gamble on before the game.

My favorite place to sit is in the lower bowl under the mezzanine seats in the right field side of the park. Sit about 5 or so rows from the concourse and it gives you a good view of the field while also giving you shade and shelter in case it rains. They also have a really good view of the scoreboard. The in park bar is also right back there, along with the better food vendors and the plaques to all of the Indians greats. Those seats will run you about $25-$30

The bleachers are pretty good too, and will run you about $15 a seat, as long as you don't mind sitting under the scoreboard. Also, John Adams. If you end up in the upper deck, try to stay down the first base side to get a better look at the scoreboard and try to sit lower down in the section since the deck is up there pretty high.

Food is pretty standard ballpark stuff. Nothing really special here. Unless you think Bratwurst and chicken and waffles are exotic dishes.

There's the typical trivia and stuff throughout the game that goes on. There is the hotdog mascot race, ketchup always cheats which leads to hilarity. There is also a suv in right center modified with cannons that shoot tshirts and things like that into the crowd between innings. It also lights up when the Indians hit a home run. Fireworks go off after a dinger and between innings depending on if there are seagulls on the field to scare them off.

The best promotions, apart from bobblehead and jersey giveaways, are the dollar dog nights and rock n' blasts. Dollar dog is pretty self explanitory, hot dogs all night for a buck a pop. Rock n' blasts are massive fireworks displays on the field after the game that are set to a music theme or great Indians radio and tv snippets. I heartily recommend going to one if you can.

Getting away from the park isn't too bad since traffic tends to spread out pretty quickly, though some trains can get crowded if the rta isn't running enough cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Just to drive the point home, I don't know anyone who refers to it as Progressive Field in their day to day life. It's always going to be The Jake, especially if you grew up in Cleveland during the 90s.

• Locked thread