Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
What a stupid loving question. "Why did you want to take him alive?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Toasta posted:

Wow these reporters :stare:

They're just doing their job for democracy! You don't know how hard it is to be a reporter!

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

does Massechusetts even have the death penalty?

Federal case.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

electricsugar posted:

What a ride that last thread was.

I laughed, I cried, an old man got gang-raped by a pack of robots...

Four robots. I still can't believe that.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

evanstheone posted:

Party in Boston!

Gonna be a huge Boston baby boom at the end of this year.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The people treating him at the hospital are probably loving livid right now.

Why?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Callout to the poor folks in West. :3:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

I bet he's been up this entire time like poor Petey. OBAMA, GO TO BED.

Man, he's probably been up longer than Petey. Last time he looked this tired I think was the day after Benghazi

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

frajaq posted:

Christ I can't imagine what would've happen if LAPD was in charge of this

There would no longer be a Boston, Cambridge, or Watertown.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

There's a Facebook group advocating for a parade for "First Responders". Am I alone finding this messed up?

Yup.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Bro Enlai posted:

Is something like this what you're looking for?

Fanart of the Boston Marathon bomber manhunt. The Internet, ladies and gentlemen.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Where are the parades for other criminals being apprehended? It's silly to have parades for such events.

It all leads back to cheering for justice. Justice is neutral.

Yes this is exactly the same as when some kid gets nailed for shoplifting.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

matrocious posted:

Something with the older brother's influence forcing him to act. It doesn't have wings and it certainly won't fly.

I'm curious if he'll just plead guilty and get it over with.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

T. Finninho posted:

And who the gently caress doesn't cheer that this dude is apprehended? Go gently caress yourself please

Seriously, I think we managed to find a shittier poster than "Reporters just doing their jobs" guy.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Huh. I guess he surrendered?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

So did they release the guy that got molested by robots? Cause that's got to entitle you to a round of drinks at least.

I assume so. I also wonder about the guy who had to sit around naked in a Fed SUV for who knows how long.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

Are you actually the president of Chechneya? I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the president of Chechneya blamed the American influence for corrupting the kid. The president posted it on his Instagram account (I don't even know anymore).

I think that was the dad. I think the official word out of Chechneya was "Holy poo poo gently caress those guys please don't bomb us Putin"

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

Also, did reddit's gung-ho team of crack internet crowdsourced detectives actually accomplish anything here, beyond falsely naming those two other guys?

Nope. Neither did ours, to be fair.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Capslock Holmes posted:

Is there any detail on his health condition right now?

"Serious condition."

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Windjammer posted:

People who confuse "trials" with "get-out-of-jail-free" cards are morons. Sure, trials go wrong from time to time, but not nearly as often as mob justice.

See: blue tracksuit kid, blue robe guy, missing Brown U student...

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Was there any official statement on the whole old man deadman switch robot debacle?

Guy took four robots at the same time. Official statement is he's hardcore as gently caress.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

MonsterWalk posted:

I know there are 4 people dead and I do mourn them but I am filled with joy at the police apprehending this man before more could be hurt.

Their incredible execution of the whole operation certainly deserves to be celebrated.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Romes128 posted:

If there's anything we've learned from this, it's that BPD needs to watch their mics.

Seriously though, it was simply amazing listening to the scanner stream. For being under so much pressure and working all those hours, they were really composed and professional in getting poo poo done.

Open mic, open mic, OPEN. MIC.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Flashing Twelve posted:

The scanner traffic is private, it's just not encrypted. In the same way that my mail is private, but not encrypted.

Except it's illegal for someone to go through your mail but listening to police scanners is actually a fairly popular hobby?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Flashing Twelve posted:

Police scanners are illegal in many states/countries. It's clearly material not intended for public consumption, not being encrypted doesn't make it public.

Only in vehicles and having one while committing a crime.

Edit: Hell, the vehicle thing varies state by state. AFAIK it is 100% legal to have a scanner in your home or on your person in all 50 states.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 20, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

It's pretty interesting, I was talking to my dad after this ended and I told him about how I'd been listening to the police scanners. He told me that they were incredibly common when he was growing up. Obviously listening to things like today is incredibly rare but he made it seem like people would just have them on in their house just for the sake of knowing what's going on in the area.

There's something to be said for citizens having the ability to listen in on police communications, even though if they're discussing something sensitive they'll switch to encrypted channels.

Especially American police :v:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Apparently he was friends with the younger bomber. That's gotta be pretty hosed up.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Piers Morgan was baffled by it. He literally started asking if the kid had an accent.

Whoa there Piers, don't go stealing Wolf's gimmick.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Sweet Caroline is a Red Sox tradition. Their organist (maybe not the current one) had a daughter named Caroline, and played the song frequently as a tribute. Now it plays at the end of the 7th every game, and is a bit of Red Sox lore, like the seat and Pesky's Pole. Neil Diamond was at the game today to sing his song live.

It sounded like they had him sing along with a recording of the song, which was just :cripes:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Why would people follow the twitter of someone in police custody? Do they expect him to tweet from jail?

It's this weird phenomenon where people mass follow and friend request people involved in these kind of shootings and bombings. People are creepy voyeuristic fucks.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

There is also zero evidence of premeditated intent so far as well. Most likely he was a willing accomplice but juries are supposed to rule on "beyond reasonable doubt".

The problem with reasonable doubt is you have a really loving weird definition of "reasonable" :psyduck:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

ClemenSalad posted:

Who gives a poo poo?(for that specific crime) He placed it.

Well he could have thought it was just full of confetti and streamers and everyone in the courtroom will have a good laugh and be like "Aw man sorry bro, we had you pegged all wrong. You can go ahead and go home"

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Welp looks like we can blame the internet detectives for the entire clusterfuck that was Thursday night into Friday night:

quote:

In addition to being almost universally wrong, the theories developed via social media complicated the official investigation, according to law enforcement officials. Those officials said Saturday that the decision on Thursday to release photos of the two men in baseball caps was meant in part to limit the damage being done to people who were wrongly being targeted as suspects in the news media and on the Internet.

Good job, everyone on the internet who wanted to look like they were helping. gently caress's sake.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

That didn't even stop them, since they fingered Sunil after that and then went on to harass his family.

So between that and freaking out the bombers into acting it double-backfired. Hooray for the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Mmann posted:

The best part is the way that they're trying to spin this.

All upvoted!
They are not, in any way, willing to learn their lesson from this.
The FBI and the Police (both of whom apparently did nothing of worth) should be bowing to them in thanks for all the help they provided!

Seriously.. a good number of them will learn nothing from this, and the few positive articles/echochamber spin will only encourage them to do it again next time.

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that's all the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the article says!

I think I just heard something snap in my brainspace.

• Locked thread