Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Mad props to the robots, even if they were a little over aggressive regarding the elderly men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Wanna get that bag. Wanna go backpacking.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Aatrek posted:

US attorney.

Are they always this tiny?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

where do you think he went the bathrom?

His pants.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Are you still a child?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

D C posted:

Needs batteries too.

Open mic.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The FBI already admitted that they did talk to the older brother a few years back and didn't find anything substantial to either continue questioning him or outright arrest him. Lots of people are gonna' second-guess the FBI over that.

What's the point of second guessing them? They found nothing of substance so could not continue their surveillance. The guy wasn't reaching out to any established terrorist organizations. I am however wondering what it was that brought him to their attention in the first place.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Sure, you & I might be satisfied that the FBI did its due diligence. But, c'mon...you know there are gonna' be a ton of people who will think they didn't do enough, then politicize the issue by dragging President Obama into the fray.

:smith: I know... The tide of stupidity will never ebb.

Vhak lord of hate posted:

"strip searched"

That part is very important.

Strip searched? The robots straight up went to town on the guy! :dong:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bleh Maestro posted:

Wait they were actually surveilling him?

Also, are there any more details on the actual bomb? Like what was in it how was it triggered etc.?

I might have misspoken about the surveillance. It seems they just interviewed him and did a little digging at the request of a foreign government, most likely Russia.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MonsterWalk posted:

I saw this:

and was confused. Did they mean to spell Chechen? Or Kicking?

Guess the source! Glenn Beck's The Blaze

Bawk bawk.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Misandrist Duck posted:

a-coodle-doodle-doo

Co-ca-co-ca-co-ca-co-ca!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

pipebomb posted:

Anyone else find this weird?

26 y/o Sean Collier was killed at MIT by the Boston bombers. Also, 26 y/o Sean Collier was killed in West Texas explosion.
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/andrewsullivan/rApM/~3/uNSgME1wgzU/

Life is filled with bizarre coincidences. Robert Todd Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln, was saved by Edwin Booth, John Wilkes Booth's older brother, when he fell between a station platform and a move train.

ReidRansom posted:

e: ^^^ Or that. Knew it was around there somewhere.

One in like Turkmenistan (I think), and the other I have no idea. Not Chechnya though, if I recall.

They ethnically identify as Chechen, though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Yes its very hard for Chechens to come to the US because of tough US laws regarding terror and Russia protesting. With only 200 Chechens in the US my guess would be that only the most well-off families are able to get people here. These guys probably had a nice life back home at the top of society and came here and were just average.

Some goon in the previous thread said that the brothers' father had actually been his car mechanic a few years ago before returning to Russia to work in Dagestan, a state bordering Chechnya, when he wasn't making enough money in the US. Apparently he was a lawyer originally before immigrating, so the story really isn't all that uncommon. It's quite usual to have people that who previously had higher education degrees in their home countries found it difficult to transfer those degrees over to the United States due to the difference in standards.

This whole situation really demonstrates the tragedy that is refugees. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn than the eldest brother was deeply embittered by his experiences in Russia and, unable to return to lash out against that society, turned on his adoptive society after viewing it as equally corrupt as that of Russia. :smith:

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 20, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Some "expert" on CNN just said there were hundreds of thousands of Chechen refugees in America. Nice.

Thanks, CNN. Thanks for telling us about how the United States, a nation of immigrants and refugees, has thousands of refugees from an area of the world that has seen substantial internal conflict over the recent decades. I'm sure they're all eager to come here because they hate America and not because they want to escape a land ravaged by violence.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

flavor posted:

This isn't so much about standards as it is about the fact that a law degree from country A generally doesn't even count as a degree in country B at all.

That's what I meant. :downs: Wrong phrasing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

You should probably just stop watching 24 hour news channels altogether. I know this debacle has turned me off them forever. :(

I've always had a distaste for cable news, but all of this has really just put back into perspective how hosed they all are.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

How was this not already a thing?

Civil War reenactor lobby is second only to the NRA.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Diver Dick posted:

Also everyone in New Jersey who is "100% Sicilian"

Pretty much, yeah.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

LateToTheParty posted:

:stare: Uh what is the background to this picture?

Moscow theater hostage crisis

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

demonachizer posted:

Yeah the guy whose asylum app I translated is pretty much hosed at this point. If he goes back to Chechnya he is doubly hosed though.

The whole situation is incredibly depressing. Ramzan Kadyrov, president of Chechnya, is little more than a warlord that acts as a puppet for Moscow. He's lavished with money and in change he acts as a strongman in the state. If you think civil rights are hosed in Russia, just look at Chechnya or any other of Russia's federated states.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Inspector_71 posted:

Somebody was just kind enough to let Shepard Smith know that "my mom loves you!"

Didn't know it was possible to love somebody as rat faced as that taint. Learned something new everyday.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

He is, by far, one of the least deplorable Fox News correspondents.

Still doesn't change his rat faced taint status.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Suicide by cop, maybe? At this point, who knows.

More likely scared.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

One of the only HRT members to have been killed since it was established was killed in a live fire exercise.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/history/hallhonor/rahoi

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sexy Randal posted:

And nobody knows how to turn their loving mics off :colbert:

I don't know how to map a hotkey for push-to-talk! Guess you guys will just have to listen to me mouth breathing and my terrible taste in music!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Petey posted:

I'm in a nearby building too, and you're totally right that it is not unusual for a cop to be on any of those roads. It is, however, unusual for them to be driving on the walkways as this picture would suggest. And as we've learned more about the brothers I don't buy the random violence angle.

The most plausible alternative explanation I can come up with right now is that Collier was responding to something (either the 7/11 robbery which was not committed by them or an unrelated incident), the brothers saw his blues, panicked and shot him. He drove up the ramp and near Stata out of injury / desperation and they fled.

I was toying with the possibility that they killed him for his gun/the weapons in patrol car. (I don't know if campus police would have shotguns/rifles in the trunk.)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

They didn't take his gun

Huh... So where'd they get the guns that they had? Have the police released any information regarding them?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

What idiots. Why loving commit the 'worst terrorist act since 9-11' and not have a get away car ready with a full tank of gas, clothes, food and a few thousand in cash? Someone with half a brain would have been out of state the same day and out of country the next.

Because they were amateurish as gently caress.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ninja fetus posted:

Wasn't he questioned by the FBI on multiple occasions?

He was interviewed by the FBI in 2011 at the request of a foreign government (most likely Russia). No ties to extremist movements could be found. It's idiotic to imply the FBI hosed up by not doing anything further because honestly if they didn't find anything they didn't find anything and if that's the case they had no reason to continue their investigation of him.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Paulocaust posted:

They just showed it on CNN with the headline "Home Town Cheers Home Team". :effort:

Never change, CNN.

Actually please do. You're terrible, just terrible.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Would it be equally inhumane to try to turn these people against their ideologies? I know that's not an easy thing by any means but its not torture and not death.

The gently caress are you talking about?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Petey posted:

So my source was correct and it wasn't the thermal imaging.

I'm glad they caught him, but I have to ask how the gently caress the cops didn't catch this when the house was inside the perimeter.

The house wasn't inside the perimeter, it was (I believe) a couple of blocks outside.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Morally Inept posted:

Don't know why but this scared me the most. How the government can just strip people of their basic rights:

wikipedia posted:

There is also a "public safety" exception to the requirement that Miranda warnings be given before questioning: for example, if the defendant is in possession of information regarding the location of an unattended gun or there are other similar exigent circumstances which require protection of the public, the defendant may be questioned without warning and his responses, though incriminating, will be admissible in evidence (see New York v. Quarles, 467 U.S. 649 (1984)). In 2009 the California Supreme Court upheld the conviction of Richard Allen Davis, finding that the public safety exception applied despite the fact that 64 days had passed from the disappearance of the girl later found to be murdered.[8]

Anyone that says the public safety exception is applied because the suspect is a "enemy combatant" is a moron that doesn't actually understand the point of the exception. The point is to allow authorities to question suspects on the location of possibly dangerous materials (guns, bombs, chemicals) that are in need of immediate recovery or disarming to prevent death or injury.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Big Papi is a loving hilarious guy.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Petey posted:

You're correct. And I am OK with them not mirandizing him before they ask him about IEDs etc.

I think people are conflating not mirandizing someone with Graham's call for him to be tried as an enemy combatant. I want him tried in civilian court.

The public safety exception deals exactly with that. Authorities wanted to ensure there were no other bombs that were active, so as soon as possible they were asking him.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Rakosi posted:

Hate to quote myself, but there's something key I missed that's relevant to the whole how-to-treat-this-guy-in-prison debate.

If I recall correctly, the moment a country keeps a person detained officially as a prisoner, said person falls into a very specific class protected by international laws/treaties. The US literally can't treat this guy, or any other terrible person, as some people in Boston would understandably like them to. It would be against the law.

It's why the UN kicks up a stink if China starts being mean to political dissidents again, and why the US criticizes the Saudi's for stoning women to death, or why everyone else criticizes the US for Guantanamo.

Since when did the United States ever give a poo poo about international law?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Petey posted:

I think this is the image from the last stand which I will remember most:

I can't wait for conspiracy theorists to start picking apart this picture and tell me how it's not the right guy!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

NewtGoongrich posted:

Here he is providing some cruel commentary on what may or may not be a true story.

https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/324268440082841600

It's not a true story. :v:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gfanikf posted:

This one is real.

[thefuckingpicture]

Stop posting this loving picture. The gently caress is wrong with you people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

jadebullet posted:

So I have just read that they have decided not to give him his Miranda Rights before they question him.

I am sorry, but I do not agree with this at all. Not only is it against the our very laws, but it is stupid as hell. I mean lets just say that they go through with this and he survives. I am pretty sure that technically he could walk due to improper procedure being carried out. And really, this is America. We have laws and rights for a reason. You can't just ignore them just because of public outcry.

And really, how is this any different than:
-the unibomber
-The Oklahoma City bomber
-The Aurora Colorado shooter
-Various letter bombers

None of these crimes had the feds infringing upon the rights of the perpetrator, and the first three were far more deadly than the Boston bombing.

And now we have John McCain and some other Republican representative calling for him to be tried as an enemy combatant. What the hell? How is there any justification for that at all? This is an act of violence, not an act of war. It also wasn't an act of revolution or espionage.

If you infringe upon the rights of this guy then what is stopping people ignoring these laws in other cases such as bank robberies or other crimes?

None of these had the suspects throwing bombs at the cops trying to arrest them.

• Locked thread