Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Obama to hold a press conference shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
edit: removed pic since it was posted a few posts up

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I assume the statement from Obama will be on this link: http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Next person to say the M word gets a swift kick to the genitals!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Boston Globe reporting 'ALIVE, CONSCIOUS, CAPTURED'

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Super Deuce posted:

There's a Facebook group advocating for a parade for "First Responders". Am I alone finding this messed up? I can't believe it.

I don't get it, why would it be a bad thing to give those folks a parade?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BondGamer posted:

Just made a quick map to put everything in perspective:

Red Line - The main search zone, by 5AM there were a dozen officers for every hundred yards of streets.
Blue Dot - The shootout from 1:30AM, where the first suspect was killed
Purple Dot - The boat where the second suspect was found
Orange Dot - Command center where you saw the press conferences from
Purple Dot - 4 robots 1 man
Brown Circles - Dunkin Donuts, the most secure locations in the entire area

Which dot is Petey?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is it kosher to post a link to an export of the original thread that has been cleaned up and combined into a single page? I haven't exported it yet but I wrote a little program that will do it. Not sure how to handle the externally hosted images though, I'm thinking of just inlining them using the src="data:img base64" thing. Maybe better to download each external image and then just change the href so it is a local reference?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've created an export of the original threads if anybody wants to download it for their archives:

something_awful_marathon_bombing_thread_v2.zip [139 MB ZIP]
something_awful_MIT_shooting_thread_v2.zip [532 KB ZIP]
something_awful_DnD_marathon_bombing_thread_v2.zip [1.8 MB ZIP]

About the exports:
  • All images posted in the thread are included, including direct links to :nms: images, and links modified to reference the local copy of the image. Images go into a subfolder that is the host of the domain that was hosting the image
  • User avatars are not included in the export
  • Stripped out some things on the page like the top menu bar, Post & Quote buttons, etc
  • SA stylesheets are also included, no internet connection is required to view this exported thread
  • Added rel=next & rel=prev to the pagination controls because I remember seeing Opera users requesting this
  • Updated the pagination controls to reference the local thread page files

Please let me know if you have any issues or suggestions for improvement. This output was generated by a little program I wrote, so if necessary I can tweak the code and generated a new export.

edit: added v2 of the exports, fixed unzip error & stylesheets bug on Windows.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 22, 2013

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Thanks; I might take this and spin it into a timeline like I did for the Bart the General (way back when) and the early Project Chanology stuff.

That would be awesome. That would be rad if you could click on the timeline and be taken to that section of the thread. I can include a javascript file that instantiates an array of the href & timestamp if you want to consume that in the timeline.

edit: Good call. I'll create exports of those others as well.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ComradeCosmobot posted:

EDIT: Oh, you should probably include the MIT shooting thread (before it merged), and both D&D threads. The former because it caught some info before it got merged in with the bombing thread, and the latter two because, unlike the GBS threads, they stayed open the entire time and may have some additional insight.

Added two more exports to the original post:

For that other D&D thread and this thread we're in right now, since they're still active, should I wait to do the export? Or maybe do one now and then again later?

fletcher fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 22, 2013

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Blinky2099 posted:

I thought there was a controlled explosion third bomb originally reported?

Is that not a reflector on the bag? All of the images I've seen of the two brothers are without reflectors.

Again, sorry if this has been covered a million times in this thread.

Might be some sort of padded liner material is my guess.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just tried viewing the exported thread on my Windows machine and it looks like there's some issues with colons in one of the picture filenames when unzipping, as well as some sort of issue with the stylesheets. Is it screwed up for you guys too? Looked fine originally on Ubuntu.

edit: doh apparently this is some sort of local file access protection that is built into Firefox, Chrome, etc. The workarounds seem to involve either manually changing an about:config extension or installing an extension.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 21, 2013

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Added new revisions of the exported threads to my original post of them:

These will fix the issue of special characters like \/?*: etc appearing in the filenames, which caused an error unzipping on windows. Also inlined the stylesheets since you can't reference stylesheets on the local file system. It should look just like the thread normally does, all the formatting intact still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Spoeank posted:

For what it's worth on Tuesday I heard Reddit by name on a radio station when they mentioned crowd sourcing the search to the internet. So they were definitely were the front runners/lead retards on that front.

http://www.kqed.org/news/story/2013/04/17/119552/how_reddit_thinks_it_can_solve_the_boston_bombings

• Locked thread