Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Fancy Corndog posted:

Impeach Obama!

Oh MSNBC never mind. Probably something about Chris Matthews saying it's republicans' fault for making us not trust russians.

The FBI already admitted that they did talk to the older brother a few years back and didn't find anything substantial to either continue questioning him or outright arrest him. Lots of people are gonna' second-guess the FBI over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

sluggo is mad posted:

http://www.abc6.com/story/22028023/wife-of-terror-suspect-from-north-kingtown

I'm guessing it's the woman with him in the pictures of the boxing gym? I didn't catch that either.

e: trying to find cached link to boxing gym photos. The original link was taken down.

This same article says both of the brothers were from Chechnya, which is untrue.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Volume posted:

What? Source?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/boston-suspects-no-links/index.html

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Crasscrab posted:

What's the point of second guessing them? They found nothing of substance so could not continue their surveillance. They guy wasn't reaching out to any established terrorist organizations. I am however wondering what it was that brought him to their attention in the first place.

Sure, you & I might be satisfied that the FBI did its due diligence. But, c'mon...you know there are gonna' be a ton of people who will think they didn't do enough, then politicize the issue by dragging President Obama into the fray.

Psiharis posted:

well then

(I realize you C2C are not the idiot here, but it frustrates me to no end that there are people who will conclude that it is open and shut because of this... Last night the guy was throwing grenades at cop cars, that's substantial to me no matter what he was or wasn't doing "a few years back")

It's possible they missed something originally; it's also possible they kept some kind of surviellence(sic) on him after 2009. It's also possible that, within the scope of what they were looking for, they didn't find anything. Apparently it has to do something with an unnamed foreign government and information that the FBI/State Department were seeking from them about the older brother.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 20, 2013

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
People still think the brothers are Chechen?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_71 posted:

I mean we should have paperwork for the applications and should be able to tabulate who came from where. Not where they live or anything, but numbers of documented immigrants from X country shouldn't be very hard to come up with for the government.

But wait I just realized that Chechnya would just show up as "Russia" on an application wouldn't it. :downs:

I read the same article as Samurai Sanders, but I'll be damned if I can't find it right now. Apparently, there has been a very tight-fisted grip on Chechen immigration for awhile now, so it's probably rather easy for the government to keep more accurate numbers.

EDIT: For people wondering, current sources indicate that the older brother was born in Russia, the younger was born in Kyrgyzstan.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Falls Down Stairs posted:

What was this line? I've listened to a helluva lot of police radio over the past 24 hours but don't remember hearing this one.

It was in reference to the illumination device that the police helicopter had attached; they wanted the pilot to light up the boat from above for better visibility.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

As with most things from that area (and hell, a lot of places in this world), both sides were terrible to each other. Just, mind-blowingly terrible.

Exactly. It's a very "chicken or the egg" situation to pin down, but lots & lots of atrocities on both sides.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

argondamn posted:

How was this not already a thing?

http://thecontributor.com/how-nra-makes-bomb-tracing-difficult

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Grinch posted:

Who loving gives a poo poo where you're born. Your birth place doesn't mean a goddamn thing, it's about where you grow up.

You're obviously not from the South.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Bushman posted:

Because it doesnt need to be a thing. It would not have stopped these guys or anyone else so why shackle the rest of us with another dumb law.

What? How many people are going to be "shackled" if all but the most hobbyist amounts of explosive materials are tracked?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

natetimm posted:

As log as it's available in some form the system is still easily manipulated. The point is that people dedicated to do harm will find a way no matter what. As much as the government would like you to think so, they can't guarantee your safety or even put forth the claim to be able to stop these all of these events. The best resource remains intelligence gathering and limiting the ways people can become radicalized.

Deterrence is still at thing, y'know. This isn't an insistence by anyone that there be a 100% rate of success regarding anything. It's about minimizing potential harm.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm not going to belabor the point.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

codenameFANGIO posted:

He is, by far, one of the least deplorable Fox News correspondents.

He is, however, an alumnus of Ole Miss. So there's that.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Told you it would happen the minute people picked up on the story that this guy & the FBI had a run-in.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

ethanol posted:

Without getting shot in the face!

Which is quite odd, assuming that he actually lifted the tarp and saw the suspect. Because, apparently when the police did it, the suspect returned fire.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

shyduck posted:

I can't believe that I'm actually agreeing with Glenn Beck on something, but here I am. He's taking to task on Twitter all of the people that don't want to give this guy his due process.

He's also had an article on Blaze claiming that he was giving the Obama administration a finite amount of time to admit the bombings were an inside job before he revealed the truth to the public.

EDIT: Sorry, it was on his radio show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODZaaMTwfg

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can anyone here who knows anything about how manhunt procedures in the United States tell me, on a scale of 1 to 10, just how likely it was that we were going to take White Hat alive, 1 being "Completely expected" and 10 being "About as probable as taking Bin Laden alive"? Thanks.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Copley Depot posted:

eh, not that unlikely. I would have said a 6 or 7.

Armed & dangerous, with explosives. Suspected of killing a police officer and wounding others. I'd almost move the scale up to 11.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Korranus posted:

The Boston police seem professional enough, and you had a scaed 19 year old kid with no plan, so maybe a 6? Many other places in this country and it'd be an 11 because the mission would have been search and eliminate, not apprehend.

Yeah, my "10" score was predicated on past events, not on the actual situation. BPD done good.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

ethanol posted:

I heard on the radio three times that the boat owner peeked in the tarp and saw a "bloodied man"

I'd be very surprised if this person wasn't on a national news program within a few days being interviewed about what happened.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

So, like the end of Fight Club?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Any mention anywhere about the firearms they were using?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

Wow. So the FBI released the photos of the suspects on Thursday because of Reddit and the NY Post's vigilante sleuthing.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/fbi-released-tsarnaev-brothers-photos-because-reddit-and-post/64416/

From the comments:

quote:

LE REDDIT ARMY - WE DO NOT FORGEIVE WE DO NOT FOURGET EXPECT US

Reddit was a big help to the manhunt and without us (and our advice animals), the FBI wouldn't have caught the suspects without our help.

LE REDDIT ARMY - WE DO NOT FORGEIVE WE DO NOT FOURGET EXPECT US

Burn it...to the loving ground.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

marshmonkey posted:

- References to missing his homeland / father

Which bugs me because neither he nor his idiot brother were born in or lived in Chechnya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The romantic allure of the 'homeland' is incredibly common among people who've never been there but want to think that they are special. Just look at the cunts who blithely funded the IRA's 30 years of marathon bombings and police/postal worker assassinations based on nothing more than a nebulous idea that they were 'Irish' despite living all their lives in Boston or New York and not having the first clue about life in the 'old country'.

I'm all too aware of appeals to emotion via some nebulous connection to a "homeland". I'm sure in the brothers' case, it was a bit easier to latch onto something like that since they were immigrants. It's just a pet peeve of mine. A co-worker used to regale me & others with tons of callbacks to Italy, a country he'd never visited, nor had his parents. Finally one day I snapped and said, "Shut the gently caress up! You're from Chickasaw, Mississippi!" I felt bad some time later, but I think it's the fact that folks like this seem to be trying so hard to identify with a culture instead of being happy with whatever one they've grown up in.

• Locked thread