Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Volcano Style posted:

I'm not going to be casting DominateTT 7 (moving house :toot:) but all three winning teams of the previous six are going to be playing this week, so I'm pretty excited.

Speaking of DominateTT, how does someone qualify for that? Is it just a simple sign up or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kaschei posted:

ZionSpartan on GGU keeps picking Jayce in LCS. I wasn't blown off my feet but he makes full use of that kit and lands some really nice shots. I'm not sure what you mean by brute force play though so maybe he's exactly who you're thinking of when you say that.

I don't think I've seen all that much of ZionSpartan's Jayce...any particular games of note? Though apparently I'm going to have to watch through all of today's LCS games too, judging from all the previous posts. (Go Wolves!)

By brute force I meant the opposite of finesse. Jayce seems to be acting as a safe first pick more than anything else, with the fallback plan being "well, he can always spam gated Qs!". Except that when the rest of the team isn't a poke comp, Jayce isn't built quite right/fast enough, the enemy team is running stuff like Aegis + Sona, and Jayce is just throwing telegraphed Qs straight up mid and having them blocked by late game Nasus or Jarvan, it's rarely getting the job done.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I saw a couple games with NickWu's Jayce, and he just rolled people. Walked all over voyboy's Kha'Zix I think it was. Any reason we don't see more Pantheon in LCS? He has a global ult and a stun, you'd think you'd see him more when TF gets banned out.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

SpaceDrake posted:

It's official, the Wolves are now my favorite EU team. That was amazing and I love watching Bjergsen dance. :allears: And it blows my mind that he's only seventeen. Christ, I was good at The Video Games at that age, but not that good.

Don't you have to be 18 to be in the LCS? Isn't that why Fnatic's AD had to be replaced?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

A Moose posted:

Any reason we don't see more Pantheon in LCS? He has a global ult and a stun, you'd think you'd see him more when TF gets banned out.
I think it's because Pantheon's burst is poor compared to proper assassins (eg Zed, Kha) and Pantheon is generally seen as taking that style of role for a team. As we saw today though Panth is very strong in the Nasus\Voli jungle style role and maybe he'll gain some popularity through that.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Flayer posted:

I think it's because Pantheon's burst is poor compared to proper assassins (eg Zed, Kha) and Pantheon is generally seen as taking that style of role for a team. As we saw today though Panth is very strong in the Nasus\Voli jungle style role and maybe he'll gain some popularity through that.

Pantheon's burst damage is extremely high, way better than anything Zed or Kha Zix could do in one combo. He doesn't have half the mobility of either of them, though, so assassin players are going to be more hesitant picking him.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

DolphinCop posted:

Pantheon's burst damage is extremely high, way better than anything Zed or Kha Zix could do in one combo.
Only if you count Pantheon's ult in that, which is very unreliable to hit and has a long channel time. Zed and Kha have the instant gib factor. Zed in particular has burst that is super insane and basically undodgeable, like we saw with Bjergsen today making Renekton look like a squishy.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Pantheon has solid CC in his on-click stun though. I don't know if I'd want him to have as high burst as the others.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I tend to forget that Pantheon exists for like a month at a time, and then I get in a game with some guy who just absolutely annihilates everyone on the map with him and then he vanishes and I don't see him again for a month.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Badfinger posted:

Don't you have to be 18 to be in the LCS? Isn't that why Fnatic's AD had to be replaced?

You have to be 17. Rekkles is 16, Bjergsen turned 17 right before the first superweel

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Libertine posted:

I tend to forget that Pantheon exists for like a month at a time, and then I get in a game with some guy who just absolutely annihilates everyone on the map with him and then he vanishes and I don't see him again for a month.

Oh come on, his ultimate's channel isn't that long.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

Pantheon support is a real thing in Korea and it works pretty well.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

DolphinCop posted:

Pantheon's burst damage is extremely high, way better than anything Zed or Kha Zix could do in one combo. He doesn't have half the mobility of either of them, though, so assassin players are going to be more hesitant picking him.

It's this. Kha'zix and Zed can use their insane mobility to enter and exit fights almost at will, while Panth jumps in and is stuck there. If something doesn't die he's probably not getting away, while Kha just leaps halfway across the map and Zed just does his shadow flash whatever thing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Jonny Angel posted:

You have to be 17. Rekkles is 16, Bjergsen turned 17 right before the first superweel

:psyduck:

Everyone that plays these games is a tiny baby literally still in the womb. I feel so old playing video games sometimes.

vvv Yes, like I said. Everyone that plays League of Legends competitively is a tiny baby.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 22, 2013

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Not true! Prolly is like 25 or something (kill me now I'm old)

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
There's a reason that most competitive video gamers are like 16-24 and it has more to do with social expectations than twitch reflexes. Most people in their 20s start caring about their earning potential, and professional video gamer is not very lucrative career, except for like maybe the top 10% of professional players (who are like the top .001% of all players). The guys who can get huge stream views, sponsorships from peripheral companies, and win big tournament purses. The teams that just show up and place are making the LCS Salary of $175,000/5 = $35,000 a person and they probably have to spend some of that money on their expenses. That's about as much money in a year as someone with a high school education would make working a full-time low skill job. The teams who are outside of the LCS are probably even worse off financially. That's not long-term sustainable financial plan for anyone. Not to say anything about the popularity and competitive strength of any game being a short time span generally. Really the best thing any competitive player can do is parlay their competitive gaming fame into a different career as soon as possible (like Jatt and Kobe being casters).

Libertine fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 22, 2013

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

What are the must-watch games from this last weekend from both NA and EU?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Schiavona posted:

Copenhagen Wolves vs Fanatic to start with http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames/b/393312108?t=6h03m01s

Really any of the Wolves game, they are a super exciting team to watch.

Edit: Complexity vs CRS was good, too http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames/b/392995093?t=2h20m10s

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Schiavona posted:

MRN vs CLG was amazing, exciting, and you got to see HotshotGG lose to a last-place team and be forced to keep his poo poo-eating grin

TSM vs Dignitas was also pretty good, as it determined the top 3 standings for LCS.

karlean7
Jun 18, 2011

Libertine posted:

There's a reason that most competitive video gamers are like 16-24 and it has more to do with social expectations than twitch reflexes. Most people in their 20s start caring about their earning potential, and professional video gamer is not very lucrative career, except for like maybe the top 10% of professional players (who are like the top .001% of all players). The guys who can get huge stream views, sponsorships from peripheral companies, and win big tournament purses. The teams that just show up and place are making the LCS Salary of $175,000/5 = $35,000 a person and they probably have to spend some of that money on their expenses. That's about as much money in a year as someone with a high school education would make working a full-time low skill job. The teams who are outside of the LCS are probably even worse off financially. That's not long-term sustainable financial plan for anyone. Not to say anything about the popularity and competitive strength of any game being a short time span generally. Really the best thing any competitive player can do is parlay their competitive gaming fame into a different career as soon as possible (like Jatt and Kobe being casters).
I'm going to chime in and say that 35,000 a year is a vast overestimation of what a high school education, full-time low skill job actually pays. Teachers regularly don't make that much, and that requires a bachelor's degree and extra certification.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

karlean7 posted:

I'm going to chime in and say that 35,000 a year is a vast overestimation of what a high school education, full-time low skill job actually pays. Teachers regularly don't make that much, and that requires a bachelor's degree and extra certification.

The other thing to remember is that these players also make some more money off of streaming, team merchandise sales, etc. And it really depends on what part of the country you're living in; a single person in an area with median cost of living is not doing too bad on that income level.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

karlean7 posted:

Teaching is probably the only profession you can go into that is less lucrative than pro gaming. Source: I used to teach.

I don't think $35,000 is a vast over-estimation, maybe slight, but not vast. Source: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0232.pdf

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Libertine posted:

The teams that just show up and place are making the LCS Salary of $175,000/5 = $35,000 a person and they probably have to spend some of that money on their expenses. That's about as much money in a year as someone with a high school education would make working a full-time low skill job.

Gotta say, this is hilarious.

The reason it's all youngsters is that they have a combination of the reflexes and the time doing something that's new. 30 year olds were in their mid 20s when this game came out.

35k is pretty loving sweet if you are a high school senior and is a truckload more than they'd be making doing unskilled work with just a diploma.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there prizes for placement in the LCS, or is it just a flat salary with the prizes on the line being a) staying in the LCS and thus staying salaried and b) qualifying for Worlds?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
There's a TSM tournament on right now with Studio casting http://www.twitch.tv/TSMTournaments

Edit: There are prizes, I think first prize is $50k

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Libertine posted:

The teams that just show up and place are making the LCS Salary of $175,000/5 = $35,000 a person and they probably have to spend some of that money on their expenses.

I thought each player was paid about $25k. There's also the manager and travel expenses to think about too. And rent to take out of that, whether the guys are paying it directly or not.

Sexpansion posted:

The other thing to remember is that these players also make some more money off of streaming, team merchandise sales, etc. And it really depends on what part of the country you're living in; a single person in an area with median cost of living is not doing too bad on that income level.

Sexpansion posted:

There's a TSM tournament on right now with Studio casting http://www.twitch.tv/TSMTournaments

Edit: There are prizes, I think first prize is $50k
Man, it really says something as to how financially secure TSM is that Solomid can afford to pay $50k for a tournament.

Jonny Angel posted:

Are there prizes for placement in the LCS, or is it just a flat salary with the prizes on the line being a) staying in the LCS and thus staying salaried and b) qualifying for Worlds?
Not in the weekly LCS, but I believe that there will be a tournament soon for money. IIRC, being first not only secured TSM's place in LCS but will give them one less game to play in the tournament, and money will be awarded as a prize to the winner.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Man, it really says something as to how financially secure TSM is that Solomid can afford to pay $50k for a tournament.

Not in the weekly LCS, but I believe that there will be a tournament soon for money. IIRC, being first not only secured TSM's place in LCS but will give them one less game to play in the tournament, and money will be awarded as a prize to the winner.

I think the $50K bit was in answer to the last question you also answered there (the prize you mentioned).

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I thought each player was paid about $25k. There's also the manager and travel expenses to think about too. And rent to take out of that, whether the guys are paying it directly or not.

Teams are also required to have 2 substitutes at minimum, and subs are required to be paid out of their pot as well.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

parasyte posted:

Teams are also required to have 2 substitutes at minimum, and subs are required to be paid out of their pot as well.

I dunno what happened with these rules -- I'm p. sure the 2 subs rule existed, but Gambit never picked anyone up. And as for the paying subs rule, when Fear (now Vulcan) were looking for guys they explicitly said it would be unpaid. No idea if it's just unenforced or what

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Sorry, that was unclear. The $50k is from Riot for the first place team in the summer regional playoffs.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

This is a really crazy video interview with Doublelift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQQhrssnBY

Apparently he hasn't spoken to his parents in years because they hated everything about him becoming a pro gamer and he moved out.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

I dunno if there will be a VOD for this game, but Game 2 of Bench v. MYM is totally worth it. Crazy back and forth game.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Libertine posted:

Apparently he hasn't spoken to his parents in years because they hated everything about him becoming a pro gamer and he moved out.

Maybe I'm crazy or thinking of someone else, but I seem to remember him getting kicked out of his parents' place like mid-stream or something. I feel like this happened around the time of the Season 1 final at Dreamhack.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

That's the total prize pool for the entire tournament, which is sponsored based on broadcasting let's say 20 hours of content (estimating 2.5 hours of broadcast time for 8 Main Stream matches including setup, pre game, match, any delays, and post game). It's going to be more actual time live, but let's rough estimate it to that. Solo Mid is banking on revenue pulled between sponsorships and ads viewed from the ~20k maximum viewership that they are pulling in enough to cover the 50k prize money, plus cost to organize and stream the games/pay for coverage, etc. If they are pulling $3k an hour for coverage, they're probably making a profit.

Even if they just break even, if they get any kind of kickbacks made from sponsor purchases or they get more website hits, facebook/twitter followers, whatever it's probably worth it for them.

(Also that napkin math is mostly just for laughs. Leaguepedia is saying the prize pool is $1000. http://leaguepedia.com/wiki/Solomid_EU_Tournament_Circuit/Invitational_4 )

I guarantee they're clearing a bunch of money for $1k in prizes with 6 fuckin sponsors.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Libertine posted:

This is just insane, sad, and sort of sums up my fears about some of the people who are professional players at the moment. I hope that he can mature up at some point and realize that he might want to go to a school and get a college degree.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
I think he made the right choices. He's getting paid to do what he loves, so what's wrong with that?

Think about this whole situation if he was a competitive chess player or something. Rings differently in your head doesn't it? A whole bunch of "yeah but chess is..." or "yeah but video games are...". The fact of the matter is, there's not much difference there. He chose a profession that he loves and he made sacrifices to pursue it. It's a shame his family didn't support him.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Grinning Goblin posted:

This is just insane, sad, and sort of sums up my fears about some of the people who are professional players at the moment. I hope that he can mature up at some point and realize that he might want to go to a school and get a college degree.

This is the worst opinion people have WRT people with potential trying to get good at gaming. If you don't do what you love you won't enjoy doing it and that's a huge problem overall in the work force.

Maybe he'll burn out on gaming and apply his talents elsewhere in the future, but if he wasn't going to be dedicated to learning something "productive" then why would he do that? Sure if e-sports turns into sports it'll inspire people to ruin themselves trying to do them but that's on them for not having a backup, the people who can and want to achieve shouldn't be discouraged.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Grinning Goblin posted:

Choosing to follow a particular activity over another (even if the other pays better) to make ends meet does not make one immature. He chose to be a professional gamer and is working hard on it and is leading an OK life. Maybe sometime in the future he'll decide to go to college, in which case he'll probably go to college. You're not superior to him just because you wanted a degree where he didn't. If the strained relationship with his parents reflects negatively on anyone at all, it's more likely to be his parents than him.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

If the strained relationship with his parents reflects negatively on anyone at all, it's more likely to be his parents than him.

My dad actually says he regrets not backing up my attempts to play chess or music at a younger age due to our financial instability while I grew up. Fortunately I also love programming which I do as a job now but it's the kind of thing parents do when they worry about kids' finances over what they want to do and apply previous generations' values on the current generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

How about some TSM tournament?

Spooky Ghosts Shen is happening.

http://www.twitch.tv/tsmtournaments/popout

• Locked thread