Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Grinning Goblin posted:

This is just insane, sad, and sort of sums up my fears about some of the people who are professional players at the moment. I hope that he can mature up at some point and realize that he might want to go to a school and get a college degree.

Yes, because instead of finding your calling, and taking risks to follow your dreams, you should optimize for most likely course to get a degree and /maybe/ come out with a job with mediocre pay, that /maybe/ you don't hate. Totally not a difficult decision that he has spent time thinking about.

I don't think people can really justify having fears about the pro players in such a way except their close friends. They're basically athletes (minus the athletics :P). They're there to play the game; we're here to enjoy it, not to judge them for choosing to become players. Dude had a rough life and overcame some fairly significant obstacles. That's the story, not that he's immature for not taking the standard track for entering the workforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
On topic: Korean LoL is great. Everything feels tighter and more coordinated.

Grinning Goblin posted:

This is just insane, sad, and sort of sums up my fears about some of the people who are professional players at the moment. I hope that he can mature up at some point and realize that he might want to go to a school and get a college degree.

He can do that later if he wants to. Plenty of people make a legitimate choice to do something else instead of going to school. See: every athlete who goes into the NFL or w/e out of high school, a poo poo ton of entrepreneurs, etc.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

semicolonsrock posted:

He can do that later if he wants to. Plenty of people make a legitimate choice to do something else instead of going to school. See: every athlete who goes into the NFL or w/e out of high school, a poo poo ton of entrepreneurs, etc.

Sorry to be a nfl pointdexter here, but they don't allow players out of high school to be drafted. NBA and MLB do though and we all know that is where the real money is anyway. I'm sure they both have programs for the youngsters to allow them leeway to attend college.

But I agree that college isn't something that has to be done right out of highschool. It isn't a crime to do some soul searching. Lots of people don't attend college until late 20s, 30s, or any age really.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

semicolonsrock posted:

Is there a vod site for asian games?

As for becoming a pro gamer, it may be following your dreams but it's also like majoring in pottery or poetry in college. You may be doing what you love but there is only a future for a very select few - like getting hired by Riot. Long term this isn't a career that will be worth the investment in the future. The only saving grace is that your career is so short that it doesn't really hurt you and could be an amazing experience in retrospect.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Ninkobei posted:

But I agree that college isn't something that has to be done right out of highschool. It isn't a crime to do some soul searching. Lots of people don't attend college until late 20s, 30s, or any age really.

I went straight into college and did well for most of my time there, thanks to (ultimately bad) ideological reasons, but I met an awful lot of young college students on campus who, frankly, didn't know why they were there. They'd gone because their family expected it of them, but they didn't actually want to be there. And it showed in most, dragging down grades and probably severely damaging their later chances of getting an education in something they might actually want to do. The student has to want to be there, has to want to study, has to have clear motivation in their own mind, or else it's not going to be worth it. Especially considering the costs involved.

So no, I wouldn't blame Doublelift one bit. He's made a risky choice, but the alternative is also risky if you're staring at an education for a profession that you don't enjoy.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 23, 2013

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Today, World Elite lost the best-of-5 grand finals in the StarsWar tournament to Invictus. Let's take a look and see when their most recent loss before that in a best-of-3-or-higher series was...

Oh, huh, Season 2 World Champs. In loving October.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Jonny Angel posted:

Today, World Elite lost the best-of-5 grand finals in the StarsWar tournament to Invictus. Let's take a look and see when their most recent loss before that in a best-of-3-or-higher series was...

I've been saying forever that the only team WE ever lost to was CLG.EU aka EG. And that had nothing to do with skill, just bad venues.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonny Angel posted:

Gotta say though, being a Chinese team means they don't fight often against the european circuit, and, as i understand it, not against the Korean circuit either.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

I've been saying forever that the only team WE ever lost to was CLG.EU aka EG. And that had nothing to do with skill, just bad venues.

Those games were pretty close though. I honestly thought CLG was in a pretty good position when the first game died, and by the second, they looked to be even better. It was most definitely a skill thing, if only because WE hadn't yet figured out how to close out games against teams that were really good at stalling.

That said, it sounds like WE's gotten a lot better since then, and I've no doubt they'd shitstomp EG pretty hard now. Poor EG, they're better than the bottom tier, but just can't hang with Fnatic/Gambit/SK.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
iG vs. WE was a really great series today. Both of them play extremely aggressive but extremely smart at the same time. You can see them jab back and forth forever and then one person makes a really decisive move to engage and like 7 different people die on either side. It's just crazy. The final game of the best of five was won when...

Malphite teleported into a ward in friendly jungle behind the sieging team, ulted into both carries and his whole team crashed on them with follow-up, killed 4, and raced down the Nexus turrets/Nexus.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I didn't expect people to jump on that post, but the reason why I said what I did is that he pretty much admitted to not having any other prospects and then also admitting that he has no idea how to really manage his money when going out or being able to judge how much something should cost. Even then, putting it on par with professional sports is a hilariously bad example because of how many athletes end up going bankrupt shortly after their retirement(I can at least confirm this with the NFL and NBA). I can't really comment on how much money he is making because I don't have those numbers. Although while he might not realize it, being able to write guides is an actually marketable skill, but he would also have to be familiar with what he is writing the guide on, which would probably require him to go to school for something or having some work experience.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!

Libertine posted:

This is a really crazy video interview with Doublelift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQQhrssnBY

You can actually read the Reddit post Doublelift refers to in that video here: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/izt4n/hi_im_doublelift_formerly_of_team_eg_and_today_i/

It's kind of interesting to read over it knowing what his personality is like now. Not to mention how much both the game and the community has changed/evolved in such a relatively short period of time.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

ilifinicus posted:

EG were a very good team back then, I'd say it had everything to do with skill. Froggen was a world class mid and carried his team unbelievably hard back then, dunno what happened in the past few months but he's not even a shade of his former self.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
EG is still good, I think they just took a long time to accept the meta.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Zahki posted:

EG were a very good team back then, I'd say it had everything to do with skill. Froggen was a world class mid and carried his team unbelievably hard back then, dunno what happened in the past few months but he's not even a shade of his former self.

I feel like everyone else has taken a lot of time to get better, while EG just keeps doing what it's always done. It doesn't help that Snoopeh is preoccupied, what with potentially going to space and all.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
This is a pretty cool site that keeps track of a lot of pro League tournament stats and even has a ranking algorithm and tries to compile a global ranking of all the teams:
http://www.lolportal.net/

Might be worth throwing in the OP.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Grinning Goblin posted:

I didn't expect people to jump on that post, but the reason why I said what I did is that he pretty much admitted to not having any other prospects and then also admitting that he has no idea how to really manage his money when going out or being able to judge how much something should cost. Even then, putting it on par with professional sports is a hilariously bad example because of how many athletes end up going bankrupt shortly after their retirement(I can at least confirm this with the NFL and NBA). I can't really comment on how much money he is making because I don't have those numbers. Although while he might not realize it, being able to write guides is an actually marketable skill, but he would also have to be familiar with what he is writing the guide on, which would probably require him to go to school for something or having some work experience.

I would be willing to bet that the average college freshman doesn't know a lot of those things either. Sure, it's risky and hard, but so are a lot of worthwhile things in life. Worst case scenario, he is in a better position to go to college later a la Stephano's supposed plan.

Libertine posted:

iG vs. WE was a really great series today. Both of them play extremely aggressive but extremely smart at the same time. You can see them jab back and forth forever and then one person makes a really decisive move to engage and like 7 different people die on either side. It's just crazy. The final game of the best of five was won when...

Malphite teleported into a ward in friendly jungle behind the sieging team, ulted into both carries and his whole team crashed on them with follow-up, killed 4, and raced down the Nexus turrets/Nexus.

where was this streamed? Can you link to a VOD?

IBentMyWookie posted:

Is there a vod site for asian games?

OGN LOL -- $6 subscription though.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
eslasia on Twitch has vods for certain Chinese matches, not everything though. But it does have WE vs IG and other StarsWar League matches

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Emasculator posted:

I feel like everyone else has taken a lot of time to get better, while EG just keeps doing what it's always done. It doesn't help that Snoopeh is preoccupied, what with potentially going to space and all.

If you're not getting better you're getting worse. The reason you see things tightening up in the LCS is that Complexity has a lot more it can learn from playing (and even losing to) Curse than vice versa. They won a couple of games last week that you would have expected them to lose in March.

But that means Curse now gets the chance to learn from being pressured, and even losing a couple games in the last weeks. Some of these teams have been established for years, but competitive play as a formalized institution is in its infancy. That means there's a lot of room for improvement.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

SKT2 just picked Support Mordekaiser in OGN. :stare:

This will be...Interesting.

http://www.twitch.tv/ongamenet

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I can see support Morde working as a hyper push lane.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Did Support Morde work? I didn't have a chance to watch.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

NTT posted:

I can see support Morde working as a hyper push lane.

It was basically this and then throwing his ult on whoever was about to die in the later team fights.

Najin Shield vs. ahq in ~5 minutes so definitely worth tuning in if you have the time. Shield have been playing some really solid games recently.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So it looks like the EU has gone from having no sub-lcs competitive scene to having 2 conflicting tournaments.

It smacks me to me that TSM are trying to crush out competition now that they've realized that it's profitable to do so. Otherwise it seems a bit odd that the EU TSM invitational only started happening immediately after the challenger series ran just fine, And TSM are now unwilling to share time during the non-LCS week?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
HOLY poo poo THAT RENGAR

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Anexis and ESports4Life are playing in the TSM tournment right now. http://www.twitch.tv/tsmtournaments/popout

They are both in the LCS European summer qualifier tournament so they could get into the LCS.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
This is the most appropriate thread I could think of, so here goes:
What is the company Azubu and where is all their money coming from?
An interesting article on TL that takes a closer look at Azubu and their esports activities. The TLDR is Azubu is getting a whole lot of money from somewhere and they are throwing it at sponsorship without having any profitable products or websites. After reading it I'm not so sure they're an entirely clean company.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Dyllyn posted:

This is the most appropriate thread I could think of, so here goes:
What is the company Azubu and where is all their money coming from?
An interesting article on TL that takes a closer look at Azubu and their esports activities. The TLDR is Azubu is getting a whole lot of money from somewhere and they are throwing it at sponsorship without having any profitable products or websites. After reading it I'm not so sure they're an entirely clean company.

You could say the same thing about Raidcall. I just assume these companies are bored rich people who like video games, some people try to help Africa and donate millions to education, some people donate a couple hundred grand to video games. Seems like being a (relatively) high profile entertainment company is kind of a dumb way to launder money, but I haven't really tried to launder money before so who knows.

Certainly Saudi princes do dumber poo poo with their money wrt video games on the regular. To me it's just like if the guys who run FXO had decided to make a shell company to run their team instead of attaching the FXO name to it. I mean their actual sponsorship of e-sports can't possibly be bringing any kind of return, it's just something they want to do with their giant buckets of money.

As another example there's that other canadian guy who gives tens of thousands to kickstarters all the time, or poo poo there's Notch. It could be the people behind it made their money doing shady poo poo and that's why there's a lot of obfuscation, but I doubt anyone thinks it's a good way to launder money if even internet sleuths think there's no loving way your company makes any money. In the end who cares, e-sports benefits and it can use all the help it can get.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Aureon posted:

Gotta say though, being a Chinese team means they don't fight often against the european circuit, and, as i understand it, not against the Korean circuit either.

At IPL 5 they beat Fnatic and CJ Entus Blaze in the group stage, then beat M5, EG, and Fnatic twice more in the bracket stage. At Starswar they beat TPA. They haven't exactly been starved for international competition.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 25, 2013

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

HiggsBoson81 posted:

You could say the same thing about Raidcall. I just assume these companies are bored rich people who like video games, some people try to help Africa and donate millions to education, some people donate a couple hundred grand to video games. Seems like being a (relatively) high profile entertainment company is kind of a dumb way to launder money, but I haven't really tried to launder money before so who knows.

Or they are another playhem.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

OGN today has MVP Ozone vs Najin Sword and CJ Frost vs IM. First of them is on right now (currently 10 mins into game 1), with Watch playing Zac -- first time I've seen him in competitive play :)

http://www.twitch.tv/ongamenet

e: holy mother, Cain just had the greatest bait I've ever seen :aaaaa:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 26, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
A really good Zac, too, even if I can see why a lot of NA dumps on Zac - that slingshot is so hard to use, even when you know what you're doing and you have vision.

Still helped win the game for Sword, though. ;)

Also yes that Cain bait. Though to be honest, I'm not convinced that it wasn't just a mistake they managed to turn around :v:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Also yes that Cain bait. Though to be honest, I'm not convinced that it wasn't just a mistake they managed to turn around :v:

They had the three of them stood behind the ridge for like 15-20s though. I think they were hoping they'd bite and lo and behold...

Zac and Kha'zix make a scary combo. Both have no limits on dive potential, with CC and huge damage... and then the classic MF/Sona on top? So hard to do anything about that teamfight comp.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The dragon steal :stare:

Watch on Lee Sin throws a ward down and W's to it
At the same time, Thresh lantern gets dropped in the pit
Lee Sin steals with smite and takes the lantern out
The whole thing happens in less than one second.

:stare:

I seriously thought that Thresh was just dropping in a lantern to check and see if it was still there. This is why Asian teams will stomp NA and EU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So I guess the schedule is off? EU playoffs are starting right now, first up is Wolves vs. EG!

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames

Krepo getting first blood :allears:

EDIT: Wait, I'm the hugest idiot. This is a replay of week six's EG/Wolves match.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
EG/CW starts in a minute: http://na.lolesports.com/

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Well, that's interesting. According to the EU casters, we haven't seen a lot of Zac... because he's just now been unlocked on the tournament realm. I did not know that!

Karma rework is also available now, though I doubt we'll be seeing that :v:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, that's interesting. According to the EU casters, we haven't seen a lot of Zac... because he's just now been unlocked on the tournament realm. I did not know that!

Karma rework is also available now, though I doubt we'll be seeing that :v:

Zac jungle is devastating and I think we'll see it come out today. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see lots of Nautilus today as well.

Edit: Zac locked in by Snoopeh, I am a genius.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 26, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Was gonna say, Zac comes out very first game. :stare: Gonna be interesting to watch (I thought he was a little hit-or-miss in Korean play).

EDIT: Okay, Bjergsen on my favorite mid is highly relevant to my interests. Not really paying attention to anything else until this is over.

Also Zac top, what :stare:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
I think this is the first time I've seen Froggen actually get Anivia in the LCS so far. Has he gotten a chance to play the dirty bird at all this season?

• Locked thread