Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Are you looking for the main League of Legends discussion thread? Click here!
Are you looking for the fantasy LCS discussion thread? Click here! Please do not post about fantasy LCS in this thread.

The League of Legends tournament scene has exploded, with many top-tier leagues emerging worldwide. This thread is for the discussion of top level games, news, and other things related to the competitive scene so as to not clutter the main discussion thread. This thread is also for non-professional tournaments.

USEFUL LINKS:
Leaguepedia: The best source for competitive results and information about all aspects of the competitive League of Legends scene.
Esport Calendar: See which matches are coming up and when.
Official North America League Championship Series site
Official European League Championship Series site
OnGameNet LOL Champions (Korean league)
LOL Pro League (Chinese league)
Garena Premier League (Southeast Asia league)

Discuss away!

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Elementz is stepping away as a starter for Curse. People have been expecting this for a long time, and it's finally happened.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

No spoiler rule. Awkward to actively discuss things as they happen if you have to stick them all behind spoiler tags. Of course, if you want to put something behind spoiler tags, go right ahead.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

as far as I know, now team has ever come back from behind 10k+ gold. It's the golden number. And now GGU is down 14k. No idea why this game has dragged on so long

CLG.eu came back from ~25K against M5 awhile back.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames/b/398834103?t=8h20m18s

You can see what happens: Ezreal's Mystic Shot is coming out of completely the wrong spot. This makes the game basically unplayable.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I used to say this and I think it's time to bring it back: just don't do Baron. Trying to do Baron when you're ahead is simply the fastest way to lose a lead, hands down.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

Stop doing Baron

Mods please make this the thread subtitle

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Ravus posted:

It's kind of a hard problem to really fix. Dedicated camera is pretty bad, but bad manual camera is often worse- juddery, missing more kills etc. Good camera-dudes are pretty rare. If one can be found it's always the better option though... gl :p

So just put it on directed when nothing is happening and take over when something is?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I'm pretty sure all the major names in the western LoL pro scene make more money from streaming than they do playing in the LCS. It's in their best interests to not allow Riot, who is basically a secondary income source, to dictate what they can and can't do on their primary income source.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Frgrbrgr posted:

Yes, and Riot had nothing to do with the creation, maintenance, updating, and promotion of the game that they play that makes them so popular.

Without League of Legends, nobody would know who these guys are. Without LCS, many of them would not have a name.

Competition coming from their own employees.

What I'm saying is that if players don't want to be locked down by Riot, they'd be better off quitting the LCS than agreeing to these rules. I don't think that's a favourable situation for either the players or Riot.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I'd like to remind people of this article, which brings up a lot of problems with video games trying to be "sports". Given that Riot seems committed to that path, it seems appropriate to remind people just what they're getting themselves into. I hope it doesn't bite them in the rear end.

Violently Car fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 5, 2013

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

None, which is exactly why Riot did it. They have the most popular game in esports, they know it, and now they're throwing their weight around. Are streamers really going to give up their primary income source for "freedom" or whatever?

The bigger streamers make more money from streaming than they do from the LCS, so I can imagine at least some of them will.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

The fact that they ban people from competition in the first place for saying mean things in solo queue is way dumber than anything.

They want to stop people from being assholes, and if one of their sponsored pro players acts like an rear end in a top hat to everyone else, that sends the wrong message to the rest of the community.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I feel like the way Zuna plays would probably be more suited to a top laner or something.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

EU has always been more exciting, there's always weird opinions in this thread.

NA matches have higher levels of intrigue thanks to the players being much more of public figures compared to the Europeans.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I dislike that games with high kill counts are considered "sloppy". I kinda of wish brutal games were the norm in competitive League. Would be far more fun to watch.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

LCS production still feels amateur hour when you compare it to OGN. They also need to cut down the time between games, the current show is bloated as gently caress with too little time actually spent in the client.

OGN's been doing this poo poo since 2000 and is a professionally run television network full of industry veterans. Give Riot time to catch up.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Did coast just estimate that it was a 50/50 chance they would win? Are the still in early Season 3?

What do you want them to say? "We're rubbish and TSM is gonna stomp us"?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

Alliance wants to throw really badly. I can feel it. They're holding off though.

Fnatic's comp sucks, so it's going to take some pretty stupid poo poo to lose the game.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Colonel Squish posted:

Alliance showing some life! How does an 0/3 Elise out-damage a 2-0 Vi?

Nice to have a kind of-even game today.

Elise is not balanced and never has been. She's just one of those champs that Riot never bothered to meaningfully nerf.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Waterbed posted:

Why are they phasing Phreak out? He's like, puns aside, the most qualified person to do casting besides Jatt in NA right now. Not that Kobe's bad or anything.

They aren't phasing him out. He prefers to cast the challenger series. That's probably for the best; Phreak has a large fanbase, which gets people watching games they otherwise wouldn't have watched. It's a good arrangement.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

So, why is EU better than NA?

EU's worst teams are better than NA's worst teams, but the very best NA teams are probably slightly above the very best EU teams. It's a wash.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

When does this happen? I'd be super interested to watch the English streamed casts of OGN.

http://twitch.tv/ongamenet

Start date for Champions (the main league) hasn't been announced yet, but the Masters tournament has. Masters is a bit weird. Here are the details.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

OGN qualifiers, if I'm not mistaken.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqFeYyc_ULI commentator banter best banter

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

From scarra's twitter,

That Renekton build. :allears: IEM ought to be exciting as all get out.

That's what I like to see. gently caress bruiser builds.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

That was the best game I've ever seen outside of Korea.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

Elise cocoon has 10 second cooldown at max rank and 2 second duration. Can you just straight up stunlock someone in URF?

You get a bunch of tenacity in URF.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Which other US players would you rather see at the analyst panel? Maybe LOMOnation, but I think Scarra does a good job. IWD is insufferable, though.

IWD has a real "bro" voice but his actual analysis seemed fine to me. :confused:

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I'm happier than I really should be that Coast is out.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

TheChad posted:

If dig somehow manages to steal Zion +Shiphtur they will instantly become a much better team in my opinion.

I feel like a team has to be built around these guys. They won't fit cleanly into just any team.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

uaciaut posted:

They're spot on wrt how bad the LCS format is.

What are their main complaints? Can't watch at the moment.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I don't really agree with those complaints. I grew up watching all the major North American sports, so the LCS format seems pretty natural to me. I guess I can see why people would have a problem with it, though.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

uaciaut posted:

Wait what? So you disagree with the complaints because LCS format is like NA sports format? What the hell does League have in common with american football or baseball?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm not sure why it needs to have anything in common with football or baseball. It's a format that facilitates competition between individuals or teams, and for the most part, it works pretty well. Is it perfect? Nah. But it works.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Ggoong's TF is ridiculous

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Previous Jesus posted:

Do we get to keep Dyrus? He's from Hawaii but that's not continental US... :ohdear:

TSM actually has no one from the continental USA on their team now. WildTurtle is Canadian (as is TheOddOne, for the record), Bjergsen and Amazing are European, and Dyrus is Hawaiian. Xpecial's from California, but he's not on the roster right now...

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Season 5 is going to begin with a fantasy draft

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I agree, I just think it's the most hamfisted way to approach it.

I think it's actually less ham-fisted now that the DR applies to all turrets, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Most people I know who play windowed say they do it because it's less room to move your mouse around from point A to B, and also the information you need is concentrated into a smaller area. Makes sense to me, since it's not like having higher resolution lets you see more or anything.

Widescreen actually does let you see more, which is why it's so weird that SKT T1 K plays in 4:3.

• Locked thread