Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
^Knew someone would swoop in and elegantly reply first. Oh well. Any VODs of this Jayce action?^

It seems like Jayce's overall power went down once people woke up and realized that Aegis/Bulwark are really, really good against poke comps. And really, really good in general.

I think the reason he still gets picked is due to his overall safety, plus while Jayce really, really wants items, he's still three skills up on anyone else regardless of how fed he is, so he's got a little bit of wiggle room if he gets delayed. (Though really, once he hits the point where he can one-shot caster minions with gated Q, he's set anyway.)

He also has some team utility with his gate (though I honestly hardly ever see it get used to do anything really cool late game because gated Q spam) and a top lane Shen ult counter button.

The last few games with Jayce I've watched have all been pretty mediocre and they all have the same thing in common - Black Cleaver on Jayce seems to have fallen out of favor, and Last Whispers are getting picked up fairly late. Every single game has obviously had an ADC, and a number of physical junglers are still commonly played, so the shred isn't pointless. Plus Jayce really likes the extra health; everybody's been building him straight damage unlike in S2 where it was more of a balanced Lee Sin-style BT -> Warmogs route. I'm assuming it's partly due to Tear->Muramana slowing builds down. (Jayce might also secretly really, really like Ghostblade, but so far nobody's been paying it much attention in the western pro scene.)

I'm also surprised Jayce is so rarely played in mid. He's basically an AD Nidalee - mobility and surprise poke from the jungle, with the added advantage of stronger early game, waveclear, and team utility. I suppose it's due to not fitting well into comps...AP tops seems to be falling out of favor to an extent as well. :raise: I think mid would fit his power curve better though. Sticking him on top lane island seems to really hinder him in getting poo poo done mid-game, especially with 1v2 lane swaps also being popular.

I could be very wrong, but I'm also under the impression that none of the western pro players main Jayce or are otherwise Jayce savants. His usage always comes off as very brute force or mechanical to me.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kaschei posted:

ZionSpartan on GGU keeps picking Jayce in LCS. I wasn't blown off my feet but he makes full use of that kit and lands some really nice shots. I'm not sure what you mean by brute force play though so maybe he's exactly who you're thinking of when you say that.

I don't think I've seen all that much of ZionSpartan's Jayce...any particular games of note? Though apparently I'm going to have to watch through all of today's LCS games too, judging from all the previous posts. (Go Wolves!)

By brute force I meant the opposite of finesse. Jayce seems to be acting as a safe first pick more than anything else, with the fallback plan being "well, he can always spam gated Qs!". Except that when the rest of the team isn't a poke comp, Jayce isn't built quite right/fast enough, the enemy team is running stuff like Aegis + Sona, and Jayce is just throwing telegraphed Qs straight up mid and having them blocked by late game Nasus or Jarvan, it's rarely getting the job done.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Froggen's (it was Froggen right) Kha was definitely proccing the passive on Void Spikes, so yeah, 3.7.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So many failed wall hops this game.

• Locked thread