Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So let's say Wolves and EG both end up at 13-15, after EG lose to Wolves and SK and Wolves lose to Gambit. That'd put their head-to-head record at 2-2. Same record, even head-to-head, LCS protocol calls for them to play a single tiebreaker game to determine who's 4th and who's 5th. But then that tiebreaker literally does not matter. They face each other in the playoffs no matter what. Do they just face each other for bragging rights at that point?

... the higher seed starts blue side in the playoffs, maybe?

EDIT: Jesus, this was answered in the fourth post. What is wrong with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceDrake posted:

So here's a question: why do people keep picking Jayce in LCS matches?

He's been a popular pick, especially during Super Week, but there's one little problem: he keeps losing.

His combined record in both LCSes is actually 11-16, or 41%. It's a losing record, but not the MOST losing record, so I can see statistically why he keeps appealing to teams. Let's see, who's been played in 10 or more games and has a sub-40% win rate...

Ahri (3-8, 27%)
Anivia (4-8, 33%)
Caitlyn (23-38, 38%)
Kennen (2-11, 15%)
Janna (5-10, 33%)
Lux (14-25, 36%)
Nunu (7-11, 39%)
Udyr (2-9, 18%)

So Jayce is definitely not alone in terms of continually getting picked despite an unimpressive record.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Badfinger posted:

Don't you have to be 18 to be in the LCS? Isn't that why Fnatic's AD had to be replaced?

You have to be 17. Rekkles is 16, Bjergsen turned 17 right before the first superweel

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there prizes for placement in the LCS, or is it just a flat salary with the prizes on the line being a) staying in the LCS and thus staying salaried and b) qualifying for Worlds?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Today, World Elite lost the best-of-5 grand finals in the StarsWar tournament to Invictus. Let's take a look and see when their most recent loss before that in a best-of-3-or-higher series was...

Oh, huh, Season 2 World Champs. In loving October.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Aureon posted:

Gotta say though, being a Chinese team means they don't fight often against the european circuit, and, as i understand it, not against the Korean circuit either.

At IPL 5 they beat Fnatic and CJ Entus Blaze in the group stage, then beat M5, EG, and Fnatic twice more in the bracket stage. At Starswar they beat TPA. They haven't exactly been starved for international competition.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 25, 2013

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Volcano Style posted:

It seriously makes you wonder where Wolves would have placed if Bjergsen had been on the team at the start, wow.

They're 13-7 since Bjergsen joined up, which is a 65% win rate. SK, in 3rd place, has 61%. I honestly think they'd have had a decent shot at finishing 3rd in the weekly standings.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
At 3:24, Eastern Standard Time, the commentators broke into Chinstrap Chat. At 3:25, I killed myself.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
^^^ Yeah on the plus side, Complexity's bot lane was never their strong point, but on the minus side, if your replacement is Chuuper...

NA starting soon, I seriously hope we get a pair of upsets. Dig and CLG are my least favorite teams in NA, and it'd be awesome to see a payoff to all the stepping up that the new teams did towards the end of the season.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Nope, they beat Curse. But that's it so far.

EDIT: Still. :smug:

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 26, 2013

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Zahki posted:

From being #1 in the LCS to being relegated, what a slide. It's unbelievable how bad Dignitas have been over the past few weeks.

They were only #1 very briefly, if I recall. It went Crs -> Dig for a brief time after their stellar Super Week -> Crs -> TSM.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Prolly is really weirding me out because the more I look at him, the harder it becomes for me to tell whether he's quite handsome or quite ugly.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, lovely baron steal there.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Failboattootoot posted:

They (at least ImaQTpie, Scarra, and Kiwikid) have some weird undeserved attitude where they think they are the very best in NA when that is completely laughable. Also a general tendency towards being passive-aggressive douchebags.

That's pretty much it, yeah. I honestly prefer someone like Reginald or Doublelift who are obviously hamming up abrasive personalities to someone like Scarra who's really friendly and non-confrontational but then just passive-aggressively whines about everything.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Someone who knows more about League than me can probably point to why this is wrong, but Doublelift just seems incredibly overrated. He posts a lot of kills in CLG's winning games, but that's sorta what happens when his team runs four supports. Shutting him out seems pretty easy, and people just sorta vaguely praise his "mechanics" a lot without giving a sense of what that means. The commentators were going apeshit when he 1v1'd MegaZero's riven in their last game against MRN, but that was actually just horrible play from MegaZero. He completely whiffed his Wind Slash, throwing it 45 degrees away from Doublelift. Doublelift played competently, but he's just never struck me as worthy of the incredibly hype he carries.

The Mattybee posted:

CLG are a bunch of sexist pieces of poo poo and I'm really glad to see Vulcun loving dumping on them

gently caress CLG forever

Jesus, first I heard of this but it wouldn't exactly surprise me (more of a "gently caress gamers" than a "gently caress CLG specifically"). Who on CLG did something lovely, and what'd he do?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yes the two upsets actually happened. So pleased about this.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Failboattootoot posted:

Not quite yet. :ohdear:

Nope, posting from the future, Vulcun wins this.

EDIT: Being from the future owns. :smug:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

victorious posted:

Does anyone know if CLG and Dignitas stop getting paid by Riot as of now, or would that happen only if they get knocked out of the promotion series too?

It's a salary that lasts for the season, so if they re-qualify through the Promotion Series, the only money they've lost is their potential share of the Spring Playoffs prize pool.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Vulcun have really gone for broke on AoE fuckfest ults here. 3 of their ults (Zyra, Malphite, Jarvan) are large AoE CC, and then Katarina and MF bring the channeled damage. TSM gonna have to engage REALLY carefully unless they're several thousand gold ahead.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So Phreak is really trying to make First Stone a thing huh

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I can't stop laughing at that. I loving love Daydreamin.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Both of these teams are so goddamn good, and to be honest I'm glad that they're "only" playing for $25,000 here. I want good things to happen to both of them, so I'm relieved that they're not playing, for example, to determine relegation.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Joe Miller is a wonderful commentator because he just sounds so exhausted and contemptuous when he makes lovely puns. "He's a Diamond in the rough, and he's got a red... buff."

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What a throw from Fnatic there. Why would you think you can engage when you're just running at them in a straight line, both teams at or near full health, and you're 4v5 and 10k gold behind?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Dyllyn posted:

After watching this I think jungle is going to be NA Allstar's weak link.

Their weak links are every position that isn't held by a TSM member.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Does Prolly have any facial expressions besides :smug:? Yet to see evidence of this.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

I'm happy for TSM. This confetti is hilarious.

Performing Vulcun's victory celebration was also hilarious.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Someone mentioned earlier that they hoped Prolly might sign on for a permanent commentating position. I want this, but only if we see his smug-rear end face at all times. I want him on the telestrator, I want him conducting interviews, I want a picture-in-picture on all the matches where he's doing commentary.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Reginald definitely plays up the abrasiveness. If you watch some of his interviews or vlogs, you can see him sorta slipping in and out of character. Blunt poo poo-talking is kinda what Regi's fans expect out of him at this point, so he delivers it.

semicolonsrock posted:

Can't tell if he is really good looking or really ugly.

I loving know, right:

Jonny Angel posted:

Prolly is really weirding me out because the more I look at him, the harder it becomes for me to tell whether he's quite handsome or quite ugly.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 30, 2013

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Schiavona posted:

Sjokz gets a ton of that poo poo in EU, it's creepy and weird.

It's really sad because Sjokz is really classy and quick-witted and knowledgeable and pretty much a fantastic interviewer/host along all relevant criteria? But nope let's get the creepy drooling going.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Both English LCS casters have strong accents but they are different strong accents and I love them both. Joe's got that lovely twang that just makes everything he says sound a little bit snarkier, and Deman always sounds like he's one sentence away from inviting you over to the pub for a pint or two.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
:woop: MegaZero is Best Riven NA! :woop:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So Kubon is basically the same player as Darien right?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So happy about these Promotion results. Giants and Dragonborn were worthless in the Spring, and CW absolutely deserved to hold their spot. SNS was a surprise, and it's sad to see aAa fall prey to whatever Dioud's personal situation is, but it's still good to see new blood get in. This has owned.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently the real name of SNS's support is Bram de Winter. How the gently caress can you not be a hard-assed fantasy lord with a name like that?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So how many teams are gonna be at Worlds? I know that All-Stars gives 1 more spot to the winning region, and there are 5 regions, so 16 seems like the logical choice. 3 from each plus 1 from the All-Stars bonus.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
VODs are here. It's definitely a more uneven scene than NA or EU, so many 4-0 series sweeps there.

And in general I feel like regional metas are a lot less of a prominent thing than they used to be. Back in Season 1 there was the whole idea that Europe just had different lane configurations than NA, but now pretty much everyone runs the same general setups and the main separators are champion preferences. The last major shakeup was when CJ Blaze showed up in America and introduced everyone to laneswaps, but they unveiled that at a very minor tournament and it took the rest of the world all of a week to start implementing the same strategies. It's hard to keep a regional metagame secret these days: if it's strong, people from other regions are gonna have access to the VODs and will shamelessly copy it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Nope, or at least not definitively. They've been schooling Southeast Asia, but their international performance has been far less dominant since Worlds. At IPL 5, they lost 4 straight games to Fnatic without winning any, and at Starswar they went 0-2 to World Elite (who are really, really good) and Positive Energy (who are much less known, currently ranked 4th out of 8th in China's LCS equivalent). Like I mentioned in my previous post, Southeast Asia just seems really really uneven in skill level, with no real equivalent competition for TPA. They're still very strong, but not as strong as a 27-1 record seems to indicate.

As for Brazil, it sadly looks like they're just not up to snuff with the rest of the world. At IEM Sao Paulo, there were 4 Brazilian teams, 3 second-string European teams, and 1 second-string Korean team. No Brazilian team made it out of the group stage, and out of the 8 games that Brazilian teams played against non-Brazilian teams, they won 1. At IEM World Champs, they brought the top-ranked Brazilian team along anyway, and they went 1-4 in the group stage (against some admittedly impressive opponents).

It'd definitely be cool to see more international tournaments that include Brazil, or other ways for them to get exposure to top competition and evolve their scene. But if you put them in Worlds right now, they'll just flounder and be easy wins for far more established teams.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Additionally, despite there being very good reason to consider IG and WE the two best teams in the world, they're actually not 1st and 2nd place in the Chinese LPL right now. At least for the moment, OMG is showing they can absolutely hang with those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

IBentMyWookie posted:

As far as overrated players go though I have to say I think Diamondprox is overrated. He's good but he also plays selfishly regarding KDA instead of trying to give his ADC or Top the kills he'll take them and yet because he's a jungler he will build tank. Also don't think his jungler pool is as large as the new upcoming junglers on the EU scene. Damien and Genja seem to get a lot of blame for throwing Gambit's games but I think it's more of an effect if they can get strong despite Diamondprox taxing their lanes and taking their kills.

First off, Darien almost always builds tanky, so it's not like he's "stealing" kills there. Second, I looked at the stats for he final 3 weeks of LCS and, the percentage of kills on the jungler was abnormally high for Gambit, at 20.2%. But Copenhagen Wolves had a statistically identical number for Svenskeren, at 20.8%. Svenskeren gets rightfully praised too. It's not about them dragging their teams down, it's about a combination of different styles of play and just not wanting to let kills go (or not being able to coordinate "who gets this?" in the heat of a gank/teamfight). When Diamond gets fed, he doesn't just sit on his rear end, he makes big plays and is an unkillable beast wrecking the enemy back line.

• Locked thread