Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Azure Cats 3-1 CLG, god willing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

LGD posted:

You should probably also note that "being a man" or "real man mode" is not always used in a positive manner, since it absolutely encompasses suicidal aggression and stupid overconfidence that have obviously disastrous consequences. It's slightly more nuanced than you're implying.

Of course that does tend to be streamers rather than the pro match casters. I'm sure they'll clean it up as time goes on.

Yeah, for sure. It's definitely not that bad in the League scene by and large, and the casters are pretty darn good most of the time.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

My transcription of the stream "Hai! Hai!"

e: Now it's Yoda v Macsed in SC2.

Which is a great matchup, but what?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

facepalmolive posted:

Money isn't what the article's about, though. I think the two of the main key points are here:

Just to clear this up, whether or not its relevant, there is overall more money in Korean eSports, both tournaments and sponsorships. That's why global top eSports earners are almost exclusively Korean. Beyond that, since companies like LG-IM and SK-T provide sponsorships rather than companies like RedBull and TechBargains, there's definitely more corporate support, because companies get a lot more exposure back for their investment in Korea. Not that that's an excuse at this point.

facepalmolive posted:

An a slightly unrelated note, I also wonder how much the fact that NA team "owners" directly play on the team is hurting them. (By "owner," I mean any one person that can say "you're off the team," and that means they're fired -- so Hotshot, Regi, Saint?) I wonder how much of team dynamics become politics and drama because of this. (Also Hotshot is bad.)

About the whole owner thing -- that's got to be a problem. It's amazing to me that people like Hotshot are able to field even a top 4 team. I think a good example of a player/team founder is Boxer, from Starcraft. THough he didn't handle Slayers very well, I think the way that he grew SK-Telecom from a personal brand founded on him and iloveoov to a major, established team is really impressive.

On the other side of the coin (from Hotshot), I think that's why Curse, despite its flaws, does so well -- it came from relative obscurity in season 1 and some of 2 because, I think, it's run more like a Korean team. They have a team house. They have a committed B-Team. They have a proper manager, who apparently does analysis as well. I think that that's the direction that things ought to go, and hopefully once the LCS gets more established it will mean that not only will all top 8 teams have the resources to be competitive, but that those who use their resources more optimally (more like the Koreans) will begin to do better. We clearly have the raw talent in America -- I mean, GGU stomped Moscow 5 two weeks after their inception as Team Dynamic. I, personally, can't wait to see what happens when that talent is given a structured environment to flourish in.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

IBentMyWookie posted:

I'm not entirely sure why I need to write a treatise on what boils down to just an opinion but let me try to clarify- the coaching situation is just a matter of choice. CLG and TSM have money. TSM which is sponsored by TeamSolomid.net is worth millions. Velocity E-Sports has two coaches. Curse has a gaming analyst. TSM not having either has been a choice not that they didn't know or couldn't have had someone from their fan community help them out. And when you look at other e-sport games besides starcraft like Dota and Counterstrike you see other countries being dominant without the Korean infrastructure or money. So basically, I think the lack of infrastructure in the NA have been largely a matter of the NA team's own discretion.

First off, I agree that it's just dumb for TSM and CLG not to have coaches/analysts and that they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot. However, though you're right about the "laziness and ego" of some of the teams in the NA scene, that's definitely not logic that can be universally applied to NA teams. By cherry picking anecdotes about TSM and CLG, for example, you aren't telling a story about League of Legends' eSports in NA, you're telling a story about a handful of particular teams. This story about a couple (admittedly elder) teams isn't really the same discussion everyone else is having, though I think you're right about their problems.

quote:

I also doubt that the Korean players make more than the top LCS players but I could be wrong not counting prize money.

With regard to prize money, only 5 of the top 25 earners in League of Legends are from North America (http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/14/), and they top out at around $60,000 dollars compared to the 200,000 of the top Koreans. Also, lucrative as websites about League of Legends are, the discrepancy between the resources of a team sponsored by, say, LG and one that just gets some keyboards from Razer is pretty vast. The point isn't that the individual players are making more money, the problem is how many resources the organization itself has. Running a team off of a few players prize earnings and some relatively minor sponsors is different than running one that has a number of large, established sponsors and decades of steady cashflow.

quote:

I think the NA players had the game longer, had established teams longer and are basically losing to international teams because they are immature and don't work hard/smart enough compared to their competition. You look at other e-sports scenes like the fighting game scene NA is still pretty competitive along with Japan. Although I haven't really followed the fighting game scene in a long time I think this is still the case.

Basically, I'm not sure you understand what everyone else means by infrastructure. They don't mean having an individual coach or manager on a given team. They mean having a city of 25 million with high speed internet, a culture of PC bangs, decades of eSports experience and professionals, and a culture where, although it may be relatively niche, gaming is relatively a very large part of their culture (your wife's cousins aside).

Providing a counterexample of Dota or Counterstrike isn't that relevant. Counterstrike is comparatively tiny (top earnings are about 1/4th that of League, and 1/7th that of SC2), and isn't an eSport that Koreans particularly care about (look at PC Bang numbers). Dota, meanwhile, is dominated by China, that has perhaps different advantages than Korea, but in many ways the same advantages as them (established eSports professionals and organizations, relatively huge fanbase, cultural valuations of practice etc.).

The fact is, it's easier to succeed in eSports in Korea/China/even places like Sweden than it is to succeed in eSports in North America. There are more resources available, more human capital, and lower barriers to entry. Perhaps the LCS will change this, and perhaps part of the reason the disparity is as large as it is is because NA teams aren't doing a good enough job of correcting it. But attributing this disparity simply to "ego and laziness" is ultimately too simple to be true.

e: As a last thing, I really like the direction that things are headed in the US though. The LCS seems to be consolidating eSports talent in California, and providing a structure for teams to succeed in, and when combined with a better run WCS by Blizzard could be really good for eSports in general.

Also this is more times than I've ever written eSports in the rest of my life combined. I am so nerdy.

foutre fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 25, 2013

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

When is that match?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Okita posted:

http://esportcalendar.com would indicate in about 45 minutes from now.

What that's the coolest thing. Thanks!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Blaze is certainly effective, and I can appreciate the skill it takes to manipulate the flow of the game as well as tehy did, but god drat are they boring.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

HiggsBoson81 posted:

But...But Voyboy and Jacky! How can you hate them? I also hate Saint but I can't hate curse because of the other two. I mean really what NA team is 100% full of lovable personalities? Even goon favorite VES had some issues with their manager on team liquid. (And they have loving Deezer on their team as a sub.)

What. The. gently caress. Why the hell would you have a never-very-good shithead from Starcraft 2 as a sub when there's like a thousand top diamond players you could choose from :/

Curse really is the most bm team now, between saint and Edward. Eww.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

http://www.twitch.tv/lrss0

Rising Stars is on, featuring Cloud 9's AD Kennen/support Mundo bot lane.

e: Versus a j4/vayne bot lane out of the Front Lines.

What meta?

e: C9 is also running an all-ninja team, plus mundo.

foutre fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 16, 2013

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Those blazers wut does OGN even do.

e: also KT Bullets = number one name.

e2: Nientonsoh wowing the twitch chat: "i'd give my left nut to ad for either mata or madlife" spake Nientonsoh

e3: "Nientonsoh: NA only needs 1 slot for clg to make it
Metrognome1: LOL
F7_shakes: LOL NO"

foutre fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 12, 2013

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Just met a fellow summoner in a random game with a VES icon. Maybe this is a sign?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Frgrbrgr posted:

This person is amazing and as a semi-professional caster, a lifesaver. Somebody who knows what they are doing with hotkeys and screen movements is a godsend for the viewers, plus relieves the casters to focus on what they need to without worrying about something on their screen, missing a key shot, etc.

Nhat Nguyen :kimchi:

The only bad bit is that he can't play anymore, and never streams.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know if anyone else watches this, but in the MCS (featured on twitch atm) CoL is running support Annie to great effect.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Abisteen posted:

Not sure about the amateurs but my guess is that there is such a huge gap between the top 6 or 7 teams in the LCS and most of the amateur teams that even the very best amateur teams could have one argue that they have no business in the LCS.

I'm pretty sure that TBD (former FXO) and COL are about at the level of the top 6 teams -- COL has been stomping everyone in the amateur scene, except for TBD who have had some really impressive runs.

Other teams, like nwe, have a lot of potential as well.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, I think that Complexity as a whole has also improved since the last split -- for example, Lautemortis is seeming a lot more relevant lately.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

It's certainly possible. League is still plastered all over MLG's website, but who knows.

Edit: It would be stupid for MLG to try to push Infinite Crisis over League, but maybe they'll start getting that game which shall not be named. I would go for that, too, but I'm not going to MLG to see Call of Duty and Infinite Crisis.

What other major third party (i.e. not Riot) offline events are there for LoL? IEM? Is there any one else?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

curiousCat posted:

qtpie's build
Brutalizer
Trinity Force
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Zephyr

why qtpie why

There's an ad items calculator that suggests that in some situations, youmuu's is actually a good 5th or 6th item depending on where you are relative to the crit chance cap.

(This is not one of those situations).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, what champ are you trying to talk about? Jarvan the 4th? Because the rest of your sentence doesn't seem to describe that champ...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Hey guys, if you want a break from the LCS and want to support the amateur scene some, me and semicolonsrock are casting LANHAMMER (yes, it's always all caps), a 25,000 dollar LAN in the Bay Area. It has a couple of fighting games, Starcraft 2 and League of Legends (we're obviously doing the League of Legends portion).

There's 16 teams competing, all at decent skill levels, and it should be really cool!

You can watch at http://www.twitch.tv/mmmyes. Things kick off at 12:00 PM PST!

e: Notable players so far: Zekent, YodaTV

foutre fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 17, 2013

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Hey y'all -- the last 3 games of the finals bracket of LANHAMMER are happening right now.

The first game is Zekent's team (featuring YodaTV, Pluto, and a few high dia/challengers) versus LAN at Duyen's House, which is basically a lot of former Salad Bar players. It should be a pretty high level game, and pretty cool.

Anyway, the stream link is twitch.tv/mmmyes -- see you soon.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

The League community has reached a new level of tastelessness by comparing Dyrus to a battered spouse after the latest TSM man child drama bomb.

Tune in next week when the League community decries Reginald hiring a wizard to torment Dyrus as he sleeps.

I mean, obviously there's a different degree of problem, but I think that at least as a point of reference, given it seems to be the same type of problem it's not necessarily off-base. Honestly, I'd be more worried if it were the other way around -- if they tolerated Reginald being a shithead when he's meant to be the manager and help his players, not beat their self-esteem into the ground.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Krolm posted:

Couldn't agree more, it was just in poor taste to have them be that successful, getting a new team and then promptly booting 60% of the team :colbert:

EG is looking rather shaky compared to superweek in that last game..

Did you see EG's games earlier this evening against Alternate? They were pretty drat strong then -- they looked like a team that could actually compete on the world stage. Sad that they're so inconsistent, even over the course of a single day.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Awwww, Alex :3

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Savage Cracker posted:

This year I'll be rooting for Gama Bears

http://eune.lolesports.com/season3/euregionals2013/road-to-worlds/taiwanhong-kongmacau

Last year the team with the best logo won. Will it happen again ? I sure hope so.

Hey, Gama Bears is super legit.

If you're talking about their Starcraft squad.

And ignore everyone on it except for Sen.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

Despite Doa and Monte obviously being the most talented English-language casters, I feel like the reason we're not gonna see them at worlds is cause they're kinda awkward-looking guys. Riot seems to like putting the camera on their casters a fair bit, so when it comes down to their biggest and most-watched event, they're probably gonna rely on folks like Jatt-who-is-so-drat-cute.

Pretty sure that if they operated with that system they would just have Kobe solo-cast everything.

I really like Montecristo as a caster, I'm pretty pumped for him at worlds. I'm not sure that DoA really offers as much (after all, OGN needs him for their SC2 casting more, where he actually knows things about the game). That said, he's a good banter'er/question-asker.

It's interesting that there don't seem to be many casters who are analytical to the same degree Montecristo is -- people like Phreak do some really impressive mathematical stuff, but definitely don't analyze strategy to the same degree.

Speaking of Montecristo, Thorin did a Grilled episode with him that has a lot of discussion of the relative skill levels of different regions, how Korea works in particular, how he thinks about LoL strategy etc. I might skip the beginning part about the ceremony or whatever, but it's pretty good to listen to in the background while you're on a run or whatever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfDKae7JgG0 .

In fact, I'd recommend most of the Grilled episodes if you have enough downtime on a commute or something to listen to them, they're really good and a type of journalism that I think is missing from eSports.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I'm kind of surprised NWE is losing this, I would have pegged them as one of the teams that could maybe make it into the LCS in a season or two.

e: Also, are other Challenger teams playing? How did these two get selected?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

That double kill under turret. Ouch.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Why isn't SK-T1 called Faker and His Boys?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

CoL is also really loving good. I mean, goddamn. It would be criminal if they didn't make it back into the LCS.

e: And by criminal I mean a little sad.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Dyrus played so well. Yet he gets the most flak from regi. Makes you think~ maybe regi is a childish rear end.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not sure if losing lanes is that much of a problem for them; if they wanted to focus on winning lane I think they could. C9 has a really high concentration of the strongest players in NA: just look at the percentage of the team hugging the top of Challenger. As Quantic they made their name crushing lane with individual skill before their impressive teamwork came to the fore.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

I honestly believe League has a way to go in professionalism and in the future it just won't be acceptable to only be at that level with 1 or 2 champs. We might look back at Madlife as a one-trick-pony, who knows. I guess we disagree on how important it is to see people play their best champ all the time.

I don't think professionalism is linked to champion pool (I mean, what?) and I don't think Madlife is a good example of someone with that level of a limited champion pool considering his Alistar, Sona, and the fact that he considered by many to be the most mechanically skilled player in the world, which is something that translates to any character given practice.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, but he doesn't really play support -- he was always a top laner on Curse Academy, and in the solo lane role always seemed to do pretty well -- although not amazing by LCS standards. That said, I think he has a lot of potential to grow as a player still, and I'd rather have more people like him on the team who aren't yet complacent than people like Saint who don't seem to be improving much.I dunno. Even if he doesn't prove to be a good addition to the team, if he gets added he'll at least be an interesting one.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

They're really good mechanically but it sometimes feels like some of the teams haven't transitioned from DotA 'kill everything mode' to LoL 'take objectives'.

e: Me.... Studio.... one mind.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Debonhare posted:

NA will overall do better than EU in groups, I think. And I'll even go so far as to say SKT1 and OMG from A, Ozone and Vulcun from B.

Why do you think Vulcun will beat Fnatic/Gambit? Their play-styles matching up well? Just skill?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Speaking of All-Stars, I think we should have something equivalent to the All-Stars match at the International where things like this happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-7hwXaul3k (the guy doing the gangnam style taunt across the stage [Dendi] after a kill is on the same team as the dude he just killed [puppy]) and you get to see a bunch of really good players just gently caress around. It wouldn't be super difficult to make happen, and I'd enjoy it at least.

On a more related note:

IBentMyWookie posted:

It makes more sense than have 3 teams from an 8 team league. If EU or NA won all-stars half their league would have qualified for Worlds. How does that make a lick of sense?

It's better than the alternative, and when you frame it in the context of what it means for those teams to be in the league in the first place it makes more sense. You see, if there were a lot more teams in the leagues, than that would lower the skill-level of qualified teams, which would mean less-qualified teams went to worlds (adding more teams to a league doesn't mean that the skill level of the top teams will increase). Also, maybe think of it less as "half the league qualified" and instead "half the league consisting of a small percentage of the teams that qualified for the promotion tournament consisting of the best teams in the region as determined by ladder ranking and rigorous tournament play" and it seems a lot more reasonable.

e: that's an ugly sentence construction but hopefully it makes sense

foutre fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 9, 2013

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

IBentMyWookie posted:

This isn't true of the larger Korean league. And I would guess the Chinese League as well. They are both larger leagues and seemed to have more quality teams. The actual quality of teams coming from EU and NA remain in doubt except for perhaps the top seeds. Fact is based on your criteria only the top seeds of each region need to go to Worlds. If we want a sampling then you would have more teams necessarily from larger leagues if you do it fairly. The current system is just weighted oddly by any measure, whether we do it by skill, or sheer number of pro players.

Huh. I agree that it sucks for, say, Korean Team A (who doesn't qualify) that is better than NA Team A (who does). However, how do you actually prevent that sort of situation from happening in the current system?

First, a larger league does not necessarily have better teams, even if that may be anecdotally true in Korea. So you can't just automatically give larger leagues more invites.

Second, without international tournaments to determine ranking, you can't decide arbitrarily that x league has better players, and then randomly assign them a number of qualifying spots either.

Third, weighing by number of pro players feels a little off, given that doesn't necessarily measure skill, just the prevalence of eSports organizations and tournaments in a region.

E: also yes, I think you're right that something ought to be done, just not sure what exactly.

Etc. etc.

Basically, I don't know that the existing system, where regional teams are actually from the region, can continue to exist and have the best teams represented -- there just doesn't seem a way to account for it fairly.

However, an alternative to the LCS system, where the regional tourneys are regional in name only, is the WCS system for SC2. There players from any region can try and qualify in any of the regional tournaments (for example, the WCS Europe champion has been Korean the last two seasons).

Unfortunately WCS has its own problems (basically, that it gutted the amateur scene and has exacerbated existing regional skill disparities while shutting out a portion of the SC2 fanbase by limiting opportunities to watch their favorite regional players), but I think both of those could be alleviated somewhat with a feeder league below each regions LCS that actually is region-locked (and maybe has one or two seeds into the world championships), and lots of regional LANs and stuff.

But who knows! There very well maybe an entirely different system lurking around, and I don't know if Riot is even interested in shaking up the LCS at all. I guess time will tell.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Whenever I would see an OMG player on a stream I always used to think that they were a joke team that just trolled around. Turns out, not at all! (Although I guess the roster is pretty different since summer 2012..) If they can beat SK-T, I think C9 maybe can as well.

Digital Jedi posted:

Ahhh how I have miss Corki!

This, this, this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

Did...did Bloodwater just Crescendo a creep?

The SSO dude flashed.

Annnnnnd the throwing begins.... Vulcun would be such a strong team if they could just hold onto their early game lead.

• Locked thread