Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Sexpansion posted:

Ladies and gentleman, your NA allstars shotcaller :)

Yeah, really don't like that brat. Only reason why I like to see Curse lose. How is this bully an all star? I don't get his popularity. He's like hotshotgg, but with a mean streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

semicolonsrock posted:

On topic: Korean LoL is great. Everything feels tighter and more coordinated.

He can do that later if he wants to. Plenty of people make a legitimate choice to do something else instead of going to school. See: every athlete who goes into the NFL or w/e out of high school, a poo poo ton of entrepreneurs, etc.

Is there a vod site for asian games?

As for becoming a pro gamer, it may be following your dreams but it's also like majoring in pottery or poetry in college. You may be doing what you love but there is only a future for a very select few - like getting hired by Riot. Long term this isn't a career that will be worth the investment in the future. The only saving grace is that your career is so short that it doesn't really hurt you and could be an amazing experience in retrospect.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Why do people hate dig? Man that has to be embarrassing to be losing to a no name scrub team though. I bet Curse is happy.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

On the topic of people with undeservedly high opinions of themselves, I sure am hoping Vulcun wins just to dumspter on Chauster. Even if it doesn't matter because everyone will just blame Hotshot no matter what. Poor Aphro though, he loses no matter what and that is sad. Poor guy just can't catch a break.

I like Chauster the guy seems really knowledgeable about the game. They fail on execution but when they are on point with execution their map control and strategy is really good. I think Chauster puts too little emphasis on champ picks and player skill. If he was on a better skilled team they would go far.

They are the opposite of Dig. That last matchup against GGU there was almost no ward control on Dig's side which is why they lost imo.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
I just see NA getting totally stomped by EU and Asian teams they're not even close. Maybe TSM is the only decent team anymore.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

King of the Karp posted:

drat, GGU making Curse look like chumps. This is really impressive by them. I like curse, but GGU has been in control of this game 100%. Good for them!

As much as people are saying NA can't compete on a global level, I'm pretty sure NA has the most exciting and dynamic LCS. The last few weeks have really shook things up and I'm loving it! Sure, our all-star team might get demolished, but we get pretty drat good games here every week. I hope this dynamic continues into the next split.

The pro NA teams aren't dynamic and are just stuck in the same strategy. I am rooting for GGU cause although they are super sloppy they are at least looking for alternatives to the same NA meta of AD carry, tanky top, and cc ults for teamfights.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Now TSM just needs to win this and it's a pretty much a perfect LCS. I bet the foreign teams are just scratching their heads if they are watching these games the throws have been incredible.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Combo posted:

NA is going to get obliterated either way so its not like it matters

Yeah I only feel bad for Dyrus this is going to be a huge wake-up call to go against EU and the Koreans and Garena all-stars. It will be really interesting to see how the EU team does since there might be a language barrier.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Speaking of Prolly, there is a pretty hilarious 20 minute interview on Gamespot w/ him here

I wonder how Chuuper is doing as ADC, but there wasnt much insight into that. Hopefully him being more into the game will make the teamwork more consistent, rather than him doing misplays.

Does that interviewer hate CLG for some reason? Seems to really be enjoying the schadenfreude that's going on with CLG. I don't like CLG but then again it's not my job to get along with progamers.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Zoness posted:

I think that no team should have an active player in charge of roster management, but it's not like teams are getting enough purse to get a person to do that full time or even possibly part time. FWIW I think the WildTurtle roster change was a good idea, not just in retrospect.

Not sure about that, apparently solomid.net is worth a few million dollars. They can afford a lot on that kind of money. The weird thing is though that it can just all go up in smoke if they don't win and their fans disappear. Seriously the whole professional scene kind of amazes me - dysfunctional kids e-thugging it up on stream. It's like a nerd version of Jersey Shore.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Jayisspecial posted:

Are there any professional teams with female members? Just hit me that I have never seen a woman amongst one of these teams.

I really think it would be tough for a female progamer at this stage given the living with your team which most parents wouldn't go for unless it was an all girls team, and the lol community is not that far off from the sexism prevalent among the fans like the fighting game community. We're talking about mostly teenage boys here so you really can't expect much in way of maturity, therefore incredibly difficult for a girl gamer to get respect. Hard enough for a female shoutcaster, actually are there any female shoutcaster besides the interviewer for the EU LCS?

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Da Monk posted:

is NA so far behind that their best team only falls into the "maybe" column? I always thought Curse was a pretty good team, but after the playoffs, I gotta admit they looked pretty bad, and not as a team at all. Mostly Sct initiating at times where the team was not ready to follow up and then losing teamfights.

Problem with NA is they all seem to have a player who is mechanically weak. Reginald on TSM, St Vicious on Crs, Hotshotgg on CLG. NA also seems to have a very limited champion pool with the same usual suspects coming out: Rumble, Karthus, and TF come to mind.

You also notice compared to EU's top teams they have trouble closing out games. Either they extend laning too long or stalling becomes a very good tactic against NA teams. Occasionally you'll see a really tight game where they can close it out sub 30 minutes but often it comes down to who wins the team fights in the NA scene and less about who is pressuring and controlling the map better. Which just seems a whole lot more random on whether they win. The real reason TSM is dominant is cause they are good at closing down a game after they gain an advantage if they are on the Backfoot they really suck on coming back.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Libertine posted:

I think Froggen has dropped down a notch recently. I think he really gets outplayed on the regular from Alex Ich, xPeke, and Bjergesen. I think he's solidly 4th in the Europe, which doesn't make him world class in my mind. I don't know how much that is him and how much that is EG just not fully clicking this season. He wasn't even in the running in All-star voting, so it's not just my perception that he's behind at least Alex and xPeke.

The All Star voting also has a lot to do with how the team is perceived and EG is not as popular anymore. As far as overrated players go though I have to say I think Diamondprox is overrated. He's good but he also plays selfishly regarding KDA instead of trying to give his ADC or Top the kills he'll take them and yet because he's a jungler he will build tank. Also don't think his jungler pool is as large as the new upcoming junglers on the EU scene. Damien and Genja seem to get a lot of blame for throwing Gambit's games but I think it's more of an effect if they can get strong despite Diamondprox taxing their lanes and taking their kills.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
I hear that a lot about Diamondprox innovating. I missed Season 2 completely. What is he credited for?

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Schiavona posted:

RE: Brazil

They got their own in-country server all of what, two months ago? I think by winter we'll have some legit pro Brazilian teams. Not necessarily SEA quality, but definitely enough to give most of NA and a bunch of EU a run for their money.

RE: USA

NA needs to stop the roster changes and start practicing more. Curse fell a bunch because Rhux sucks at support. WildTurtle on TSM is still in the air, and some people say Dig made a poor choice with Kiwikid. At the same time, the fall of all of these teams is showing that the old guard is starting to crumble. Whether this is due to hubris or an inability to compete mechanically with newer players is yet to be seen.

Overall though, until the various "scenes" are forced to play each other more, the regions with stagnate. We need Worlds twice a year and the IEMs or whatever to bring all the teams together and force them to get better (and in the case of NA, get themselves to EU and then SEA levels). I think each team in the LCS is better than they were when the season started, but without the cross competition, they're not going to innovate like they could.

If Brazil dominates the world scene at some point I think that would be the funniest outcome possible. Them dominating NA would also be epic considering the amount of hate brazilians got on NA servers.

NA is just mentally weak. The amount of trash talking and infighting drama that goes on inside the pro network of teams is not a healthy way to build a strong competitive scene. They really could use some coaching on just general teamplay attitudes and sportsmanship. It's like none of these kids ever played on a team in any other sport before. Not destroying your teammate's confidence or morale is like team play 101.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Libertine posted:

Most of them are ~18 year olds.

So are a lot of professional athletes. That's no excuse for being toxic teammates.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
I've heard Karthus is a counter to TF why is that?

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

I know, it's almost like they're stereotypical League of Legends players, right?

Yeah, but that isn't true in the other regions. Asians, and EU top teams you don't hear remotely the same kind of poo poo going on as we do in NA. Could be the streaming, but the NA seems to take a lot of pride in "brutal" honesty.

I just paid for the OGN subscription and the matches are pretty good. Although I saw an Annie and Brand bottom lane which was a bit trolly. They won their game but I don't believe they were playing seriously. There is a lot of crazy poo poo that the Koreans will try in their matches I'm going to start watching LPL to see if they are just as inventive. I heard of a Shaco jungle split pusher that beat WE that I'm going to try to track down the VOD for.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Jonny Angel posted:

So this video has the EU All-Stars repeatedly mentioning that they're playing for a "3rd spot" at worlds. 5 regions, 2 from each region, 1 extra from all stars... 11 teams? That does not seem like it makes sense. Maybe there's a second All-Star game after the summer split to determine a 12th spot?

Think SEA gets a bye first round.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Jonny Angel posted:

I'm talking about Worlds. SEA gets a 1st-round bye at All-Stars, but do TPA get a first-round bye at worlds? Because 11 teams, one of them having a bye, still means you have to do stuff involving more byes and group stages.

Taken from the Gosugamers site: "Southeast Asia gets a bye into the semifinals of the All-Star tournament due to their success in Season 2, which means they are directly protected of taking the fifth place and the number one team of their region is guaranteed a spot into the Season 3's World Championship elimination rounds."

I think this means they also get a bye from group stage at Worlds.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Copycat Zero posted:

I don't have any particular dislike of CLG, I just want to see them lose to see if they'll follow through with their "we're going to disband if we get knocked out of LCS" thing.

I kind of want to see this too. Them and Dig both going down would be funny with their talk about bottom four. Although I have to admit that the spring playoffs determining ultimate standings regarding relegation is messed up.

I don't really get why CLG does so badly it seems the NA teams have a real tough time stopping snowballing. You would think with as strong a bot lane as they claim they could just swap lane and push the outer turrets all the time to prevent snowballing and losing lanes. I really think Chauster is the weak link. They should forget about dragon cause they suck at team fights until they have their items.

CLG problems are Chauster is just a bad jungler or his jungle champs are weak. Hotshotgg can only play tanks, and Link doesn't roam or play aggressive champs. Link's a great solo queue mid but he doesn't put enough pressure on lane to prevent people from ganking Doublelift and Aphromoo.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Velocity Esports is a goon team? Ok, I'll root for them!

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Libertine posted:

I like Velocity comp this game because it seems like entirely protect and enable the Twitch which I think will work. We'll see though.

Seems like they're going for counter initiation but don't have a lot of poke to instigate that. While TSB has a balls deep initiation comp. Not so sure if twitch will survive the amount of initiation they can put on him. Orianna would've been better than Lux imo.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

TheModernAmerican posted:

This game is like watching a Gold 5v5 match

This Lux has totally missed his ult twice.

And TSB continues to lose teamfights over and over by splitting up their AOE comp. Why did Kennen fly through entrance bush to have his fun 3v1 while his team died?

I think Renekton and Lux really won that game though. With the dancing over siege TSB hesitated too much and just got poked by Lux over and over. They won a couple dragons and most of their towers that way. I was wrong about that Lux pick Vilerose did a much better job than on Zed he should pick her again.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Studio posted:

Was it l0cust? His Sona ults are kinda rear end.

I just got home, any exciting plays from TS versus Virus's team?

L0cust played a really solid Thresh the second game. They were just all around solid not making many mistakes or throwing. All I remember is that Otter had good positioning and never got caught out. Most of the plays were failed initiations on L0cust and TS just cleaning them up after. Captain Korea had enough AP that he melted the tanks before they could take down the enemy AD carry.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 11, 2013

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Riftling posted:

What's everyone's predictions for today?

I think Complexity will 3-2 Quantic by playing non-standard. That's Quantic's one real weakness right now and Complexity should know it and how to abuse it.

MRN will 3-1 Velocity. I feel that this one is far more of a tossup, but I have faith that 10 weeks in the LCS did MRN well and we'll see more solid play out of them than we did Velocity yesterday.

Quantic 3-0, I don't think Complexity is that good.

MRN will 3-0 Velocity. Velocity is a really shaky team and seemed to barely win it yesterday. MRN is inconsistent but with 10 weeks of LAN experience they are not going to have the nerves that Velocity has.

TS vs Dignitas, Dig seems to be on a really bad tilt at the moment so going to call it 3-2 for Dig.

CLG vs AzureCats, 3-1 Azurecats. The way CLG has been playing losing to MRN and Vulcan just shows how easily they can fall apart and throw. Azurecats have a better top lane and jungler. Link vs Jiji is a wash since neither is all that aggressive. Doublelift and Aphromoo are fine if left alone but they are going to get ganked and Chauster will not be there to counter.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

Azure Cats will absorb the good members of CLG and the rest will pout with GG. They really do deserve it for talking so much trash about the bottom 4 teams and TSM and then getting sent to relegation. They actually told TSM that they were so bad they weren't even worth scrimming against and then TSM finished up in First Place.
Everything's recorded on twitch.tv/riotgames on VOD

Everyone on CLG are toxic except for Aphromoo and Link. There is no one worth taking since Demonlul is a good ad carry and Jiji isn't the type to throw people under the bus. I can see Crs picking up Doublelift. Chauster is lazy and doesn't care if he loses which is a problem with CLG they always just shrug off losses without making changes. Hotshotgg just has zero confidence at this point and Doublelift is good mechanically but isn't all that aggressive he's a good reactive laner but he's not a playmaker who will turn games around from behind. Poor Aphromoo hopefully he'll get picked up by some LCS team maybe MRN.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Yeah, the picks for Complexity seem bad they should forget about team fights and think about what will win them their lane. Step one for them is not to get crushed in laning phase. That fiddlesticks pick is not bad if you're hyper aggressive but they are getting so crushed they should pick wave clear champs and just try to keep their towers from collapsing inside 5 mins. Jeebus!

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Pretty much ClakeyD's weak jungling is the only thing keeping Velocity in this.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

The Mash posted:

Normally I can deal with pro gamers being weird looking but seriously the hair on those two Velocity-players is actively making it hard for me to cheer for them, even though I'd normally definitely want them to win.

It's the worst hair I've ever seen and there's TWO of them. How the gently caress does that even happen.

E: Maplestreet has dumb hair too but he mostly just looks like a 10-year-old as a result.

Is there a good looking NA team? Full of neckbeards and basement dwellers which is why I like the NA scene. Keeping it real.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Wow they got so much better the last two games. Looking forward to seeing these guys in the LCS.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Studio posted:

Can't remember where I've said this, but Quantic was astounding today. I watched them play in January. They were sloppy, they got choked, they got nervous. While they were good players, there was a chance that every like 2 minutes they'd make a big mistake and lose some ground. Not a lot of ground, but something. Their nerves were solid this tournament. I wasn't impressed versus TAP because they weren't very good, but versus coL? There were minor mistakes, mistakes that show they're still human and everyone makes. Big mistakes? Big fuckups that give the enemy a chance to do anything? Not at all. You can't really judge people 100% versus worse teams, but they looked like a #1 NA LCS team.

This was my feeling as well. If they have the individual skills to win their lanes they certainly know how to close games out. I'm interested to see how they do against the international teams.

I hope you don't change the VES lineup they did good today and only got better as the games went on. Really interested in seeing what 28 games will do to them.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Man just saw the preview. CLG and Dig have really been humbled. If they win I know it won't last so still hoping they both go down. Time for these guys to split up and go other places. Doublelift has really gotta shut up and stop talking poo poo about the bottom four. I heard he thinks about going to Korea and making it on a Korean team which is hilarious cause those guys play like 24/7. No way will he be able to keep up with their work ethic.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

No, Quantic is already in the LCS. It's CLG vs Azure.

Quantic vs Azure is what will come during the LCS summer split. :getin:

And this right here is another reason some of us are harsh on Dignitas - when they choke, they choke hard and it ends up being a stomp that isn't really all that interesting beyond the schadenfreude of watching Dig get walked all over. Maybe that'd happen to Team Summon in the LCS proper too, but at least they have room to grow.

Dignitas also seems to snowball in their morale, too - this loss may end up throwing the entire series for them.

Should still be a good set of games to watch :3: Studio I assume you and the boys are watchin' this with popcorn going in the mouth, Thriller-style?

This right here if you want NA LCS to actually improve there needs to be a mix up of teams. NA just seems to recycle the same people and it's just terrible for NA's metagame.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Libertine posted:

I'm going to laugh really hard if one of these teams accidentally locks in Nunu

:siren: Rammus Pick :siren:

Rammus requires a lot of coordination from what I can tell. Watching CJ Entus Frost running Rammus it only works when they coordinate really well as a team.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 12, 2013

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
That was a really fun game. I'm okay if Dignitas make it through. Actually when I think about it Dig and CLG getting regulated would be pretty terrible these guys have put off school for 3 years now. WTF are they going to do if they don't make it?

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
Things are not looking good. If CLG wins this they will think nothing is wrong and not even make Worlds.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
How do LCS salaries work? Is it a bi-weekly check? How much is it if a team gets relegated cause I heard it's 30k per player or 175k per team. Is that just for each split? Do they include housing since teams are required to be near Riot studios for the LCS?

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Zoness posted:

Hey if they lose scrims and win tournaments that's still fetching the prize. If I had to come up with a reason it's that they try to use scrims to try out new strategies since that's risky in a tournament setting and the losses are them polishing those strategies.

When these teams throw out the word strategy they sometimes confuse me because they can be referring to new champs, 2v1 top, poke/aoe comp or anything new they try.

When I think of strategy I usually think of that awesome ezreal jungle Velocity pulled in game 2 of their summer promotion. Also saw in reddit it was the fat long haired guy who came up with that strat - Nk inc.

TSM seems to have always the same strat from my inexperienced view. Get Regi fed he then initiates, use Sona ult and win teamfights then take an objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Badfinger posted:

Yes, there are too many variables to mean anything concrete. Scrims are like spring training. You work on your fundamentals, or you work on a piece of your mechanics you're not confident in, or you try something unorthodox, or you try out a strategy someone else had success with and try and twist it to your own team. Major League Starting Pitcher that gives up a home run to an FSU kid because he was working on throwing his curve ball ahead in the count instead of just getting them out with his best pitch isn't suddenly terrible, and that kid shouldn't be given a major league contract.

What you can probably draw from them winning scrimmages is that their 5 players at the very least have the raw skill to match up with top level competitive teams.

There is a psychological edge to winning scrims though. So they don't mean nothing and they pick up laning characteristics. Really hope Quantic has what it takes to get top 2. I don't know what it is about GGU, but don't really like the players. They come off super cocky when they really lucked out in Spring Playoffs against a crumbling Dig.

What really surprised me about the AC vs CLG games was how bottom lane just crumbled. Demonlul was looking so strong coming into this but he just lost lane and fell behind so never had the potential of carrying late. Wonder what a pro's take on why AC lost would be.

• Locked thread