Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Because I was confused about how it worked I looked it up:

Everyone has 2 games left. Fnatic and Gambit are tied for first at 20-6. SK has clinched 3rd at 16-10. EG is leading currently at 13-13 to CW's 12-14. In fact tomorrow's match doesn't matter at all because they have locked up 4th and 5th seeds between them; CW has beat AAA 3-1 so if they lose twice tomorrow they're still fifth seed, and EG can't catch up to SK.

AAA has similarly beat Giants 3-1 so they have 6th seed locked up, as at best Giants could tie AAA's record if Giants won twice and AAA lost twice tomorrow. Dragonborns couldn't even manage to catch up to Giants' score so 7th and 8th are determined already as well.

edit: Gambit are up 3-1 on Fnatic so tie goes to them. They don't face each other tomorrow but Fnatic has to win once more than Gambit does, which is possible; Gambit is against AAA and CW (and CW, as has been mentioned, definitely seem to be under-ranked since Bjergsen was allowed to play again) while Fnatic are playing 7th/8th place Giants and Dragonborns.

So the games that matter tomorrow: should be two complete stomps by Fnatic and a nailbiter Gambit versus CW.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

No, I simply glossed over that. We both raised the same point about their relative placements not (apparently) mattering. I don't know if they would need a tiebreak or if 4th seed gets blue advantage or anything like that.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you're talking about seeing OGN vods go to the OGN twitch and click the button that says "$5.99 Subscribe." It just uses the twitch subscribe feature.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I could be very wrong, but I'm also under the impression that none of the western pro players main Jayce or are otherwise Jayce savants. His usage always comes off as very brute force or mechanical to me.
ZionSpartan on GGU keeps picking Jayce in LCS. I wasn't blown off my feet but he makes full use of that kit and lands some really nice shots. I'm not sure what you mean by brute force play though so maybe he's exactly who you're thinking of when you say that.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 21, 2013

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Krepo just seemed more on-the-ball with wards than deficio, and CW's bans make me think they're willing to take Shen in exchange for the enemy getting TF. I definitely see why they banned Froggen's Anivia and Krepo's Thresh and if they used the third ban on TF then EG would have had Shen for free, as it were.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Libertine posted:

I tend to forget that Pantheon exists for like a month at a time, and then I get in a game with some guy who just absolutely annihilates everyone on the map with him and then he vanishes and I don't see him again for a month.

Oh come on, his ultimate's channel isn't that long.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ho ho ho that lantern.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I can't keep the announcers' names straight but the bearded one keeps using "surmounted" to mean "mounted," so that "they have surmounted an advantage" means the opposite of what it should.

And I'm against that.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IBentMyWookie posted:

In LCS low 20s. I don't think anyone has beaten a team before they could surrender.

ESL Asia had that 19:30 "jungle Heimerdinger" win in a best of 5 finals.

Remember? This one.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Help I'm compelled to root against Thresh but he always wins :(

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Zahki posted:

Why would you root against Thresh? He objectively makes games more exciting to watch with his exceptional playmaking ability. I don't understand would you prefer to see more Soraka and Taric? That poo poo would put me to sleep.
The correct play against Thresh is to not go aggressive if he hasn't used his ward for soul collection recently and you don't know exactly where the enemy jungler is. Between that and shutting out aggressive supports on the other side I'm entirely convinced that he is at best breaking even in "excitement." If you count the "oh gently caress that guy should totally have died except for lantern grab" as disappointment (as I do) you'd be happy to see his team torn to shreds, too.

Has anyone in LCS picked a non-Thresh support when Thresh was up for grabs? I'm sure he's been passed over for TF or Shen or something, but he outclasses the other supports so hard that they'd have to have some special combo relying on the support. "Crescendo of the sad bullet time" seems to have fallen out of favor, as have Lulu+Orianna+dive guy combo knockups. Box isn't quite as magnificent as other supports' ults but it still has fantastic utility.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IBentMyWookie posted:

Yeah, giving supports champions that can make plays make it better for the support players and make the games more exciting. As long as they make champs with utility kits it's alright if they're overpowered to some extent because they won't be getting a lot of gold.
I don't understand what you're saying. Thresh has 1st tier utility, initiation, counter initiation, CC and basically the only rescue ability (actually moving an ally) in the game. His ult and poke are 2nd tier. He has a mediocre shield that is fantastic because it's AoE.

On the other hand, he's pretty squishy (until he gets free armor from souls), his cooldowns are high, and his AS sucks. And... no, that's it as far as weaknesses. It seems like they intended to make it possible to zone him out of free stats but it seems rare that anyone can face the bully.

It's like they looked at S2 Alistar/blitz jungling and said "okay we need someone that can do all this CC, gets tanky for free, but give him an AoE shield instead of a heal. Oh and a rescunitiation ability with up to 1500 range. But since he can't jungle it'll be fine."

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

He's been doing great poke. Gambit forced down inner mid turret by forcing Kog to recall with two max charge piercing arrows.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Did Tidal Wave just knock Caitlyn out of lantern pull??

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You had to place 6th or better in Spring to guarantee a spot in Summer, or beat out the qualifying teams.

This question made me ask myself "where is jimbownz" so I looked it up and he has a pretty harsh official bio:

"The current AD Carry substitute for GIANTS! Gaming, Jimbownz is the latest in a long string of unsuccessful bot lane carries."
http://euw.lolesports.com/season3/split1/players/jimbownz

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What would the victory skins be like? Okay, Gummy Bear Zac works - licensing/trademark issues aside - but... Bear Shen? That's what Udyr wishes he could be. Bear-of-nine-tails Ahri? Well it would be better (more distinct) than her current skins, I grant you. Bear Hunter Jarvan? I guess?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Are they going to do a rebroadcast of today's matches?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Looks like it starts in 15 minutes! They're broadcasting now but I think it's just the promo stuff that was there to catch viewers before it started.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Why did CJ Frost's Zac have two big ticket MR items against a double AD comp? Was he that scared of Fury of the Sands and Trueshot Barrage? Maybe it was Yordle Snap Trap that tipped the scales.

I feel like taking CDR blues + Spectral Wraith would've saved him about 2k gold wasted on MR that didn't help him tank or kill.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Gamania vs. TPS games are on GarenaVietnam's Youtube channel, here is the first one.

Was there an English language cast of any kind? If so, are there vods of that anywhere?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Are Shyvana and Yorick really serious jungle picks in China right now? Also who won that game, I missed everything after Fizz killed blue's mid.

The shyvana started doran's blade and didn't go back before level 5, so they must be running lifesteal quints or something. Wanna know that strat.

Also this is on the LPL sidebar:

Because he's, like, a black champion I guess?? Stay class, China! And also I'm vaguely aware a bunch of racist Americans!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

China doesn't seem to be using 2v1 lanes much. I saw one team try to swap to put Kassadin against the adc+support but the other team was savvy and swapped at the same time thanks to a ward. It still forced Kassadin to leave lane just as a big wave approached the tower

Shyvana is bad at clearing waves at tower safely against poke. Not completely awful like Trundle but it's a big weakness if the enemy jungler is Nasus and your tower falls when theirs is above 20% and the swap happens.

fakeedit: oh my god that spiderling turned the fight around completely realedit: almost
psyedit: wait is that support cassiopeia :psyduck:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Azubu stream also! Which I've found to be much more consistent than twitch and youtube.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

dignitas should try to put cait+fid against Kass, curse are going to try to outguess them.

edit: welp I was wrong

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What a scrub Karthus, he didn't even die in that teamfight :colbert:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Hoooly crap all these missed Ashe arrows but Siphoning Strike never misses!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Karthus is keeping up with Zac on fight and map presence. Zac not leaving lane is Zac not winning the game.

Good clutch kill on Vayne though.

... Karthus didn't ult in that fight and they won it handily after tanking Baron for 15s. That was a fantastic pick by Regi.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

henkman posted:

Well good teams are usually consistently good so

Is this some kind of ice burn reversal on Vulcun? Because if TSM is a bad team and Vulcun can't consistently beat them... or am I reading too deeply?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Xspecial was doing so many great things and then he died to counterward and tried to approach a teamfight from a completely isolated position.

edit: There you go, Xspecial. Max range over-the-shoulder hooks. They happen everyday.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 1, 2013

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I thought TSM got caught out with that teamcomp lineup and Vulcun did some really strong early pushes but TSM found good responses. J4 jungle too strong.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm glad they still know to have fun in these games!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I missed it did Scarra pick Gragas before or after Ahri was chosen?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You would think a pro Evelynn would buy at least a pink ward per game.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Nah, it's pretty true. Outliers don't really matter when you have the same 5 champions picked or banned EVERY game.

Well we're down from 20 to 5 so I'd say no, it was 75% wrong at least.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IBentMyWookie posted:

Hardly ever see Aegis anymore. Is it due to everyone split pushing nowadays?

They also nerfed it pretty hard, if you're unaware.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You said "picked or banned" and it's 5/16 of a game of champion picks and bans, which logically is only 81.25% boring.

And it's not true. There are not 5 champions that are picked or banned every game. I don't think there is one such champion.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Well lets get loving really nerdy and take it to semantic extremes.
What was your original point in lying about how little diversity there is in champion selection? How am I allowed to criticize you for overstating, exaggerating, and literally making up statistics to make that point without being a nerd arguing about video games?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Yeah Ashe was one of TSMs bans. And how did Dyrus fail to kill Kennen there, that was hilarious.

I think he tried to lay waste the other guy to get them both into requiem range... but requiem wasn't off cooldown.

edit: how did Regi die without using shockwave??? He was sooo greedy and Hai kept a perfect position.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 1, 2013

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The actual game is in an hour or so, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Regi just needs to not have absolute power for TSM to grow but that won't happen. I think he is too thick headed to evaluate his own management skills.

More Dunning-Krueger?

• Locked thread