Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Kotone

"Ahhhh, fine, I'll teach them to cut apples, or something-", Kotone says a bit sheepishly, rubbing her neck for a moment. "- something more useful. Preparing the mind will be better than preparing the blades."

She looks to Tora, and then bows for a moment. "If you wish to lead them, I will gather up a number of swift men." She looks to the others. "It would be best if not all our forces were bound up inside the castle. We cannot fight such a force in a simple test of skill, of course."

And then, to Kaiya, she nods deeply once more in a slight bow. "And if you would aid them, I would entrust my blades to you for a time. Hopefully the Yogo will do what he can to reinforce our walls, but we need all the kami's favor we can gather."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Ikoma Takakage

"Whatever your judgement deems best," Takakage agrees with Kotone. "I'll stop by after surveying the camp."

He bows to his fellows and takes his leave of them. Guile would win the day, but it would take something truly unexpected to best the Scorpion at their own game. This manner of thinking was new to him, but it cropped up again and again in the histories. Tacticians from all clans used it, regardless of what it was called. War was made of intelligence and counter-intelligence. Speaking of which, he had some stories to tell: intelligent ones.

Takakage walks the halls of Kyuden Morichikai, taking long, slow drags on his pipe. Whenever he encounters guards, messengers, or plain ol' ronin with nowhere better to be, he stops to talk about the small news of the day: Ai's lovely shamisen performance, Lord Ganjuro's good news, and the new crop of ghosts that were said to haunt their fort.

Anyone who isn't too busy to chat for a few minutes hears the long pitch: "Ghosts aside, this castle is awfully similar to the castle of Humility's Lesson. It's on the Lion-Scorpion border, so you may imagine it's a castle that knows what to do with Shoju's boys! A few years back, Akodo Himeji defended it from a mob of lazy-eyed ruffians with more secrets than sense. They marched right up to the gate and threw themselves at it again and again, wearing themselves down against its thick walls. It was Scorpion trickery, of course: sacrifice warriors at the front so the real villains could crawl in through the latrines or sneak around dressed as washerwomen. As if that would work! Ha!"

Takakage's story is slightly different for each group of listeners. Honorable warriors hear more of Lord Akodo's well-trained legions; countryside ronin hear more of the foul-smelling infiltrators and their comical disguises. But all hear of how Bayushi Kaseru's schemes were discovered and his forces repelled. Saboteurs set fires within the city, but they failed to spread thanks to the keen nose of a visiting Kitsuki. All it took was old-fashioned vigilance and a willingness to stand firm.

Stories told and pipe smoked, Takakage continued his rounds.

Perform: Storytelling (Humility's Lesson): 6d10o10k3 21

Be smart! Be vigilant! Hang in there! Not that the Scorpion are about to attack... unless that's general knowledge.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Tora

"Exactly what I was thinking, Kotone-san. But in the meantime, Ai-san and Moto-san and I should see where best to place them." Tora looks over at the other two warriors. "If we're lucky perhaps we'll find some of their scouts."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Kaiya

Kaiya bows! "I'll do my best."

She takes the swords respectfully and retreats to her forge. She is simply going to use The Raging Forge to return Kotone's swords to their perfect, unblemished form, but she still has a routine she likes to go through - have some tea, meditate, carefully examine her forge and make sure everything is just so...

With the looming threat weighing on her mind she has the sense to just drink, meditate and cast the drat spells, at least. ... Although a few moments admiring Kotone's weapons wouldn't hurt...

Eventually she returns Kotone's swords with a bow and makes plans to study Kyuden Morichikai's exterior, drawing up plans for what defenses she thinks they have time to make.

Casting The Raging Forge twice, then Engineering 6k3! <foxxbot> Ettin, 7 9 4 8 3 8

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Kyuden Morichikai

Every Clan has its own way of preparing for a battle, and with Toturi's Army being made up of an assembly of samurai from Clans both great and minor, with a goodly number of ronin thrown into the mix, it's no surprise that the preparation rituals are a hodgepodge of all of the traditions of every Clan with several new ones besides.

The wait for the Scorpion army to arrive is simultaneously interminable and all too short. There's no way to finish all the preparations you'd like to have done. Ideally, it'd be better to have several more years before the Scorpion reach the walls.

Instead, it's a few short days.

Now, with a hostile army surrounding your walls...where are you?

Sorry to just kick it ahead, but I've been struggling with how to advance this and this seemed the most expedient way. Place yourselves for the battle, if there are any questions about the grounds feel free to ask, and then we'll get this going.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Kaiya

Kaiya has done everything she can. Plans were made, defenses were hurriedly hacked together, weapons were repaired, and the smithy of Kyuden Morichikai has been prepared. Her assistants should keep the place working and people's weapons useable until the siege ends.

But right now, she is taking a break.

Toturi's Army has graciously supplied her with tamahagane, the steel used to forge katanas. Over the coming weeks, Kaiya intends to forge one. Maybe it will be her ideal sword, the one worthy of slaying an Emperor. If not, she'll just have to make another.

Kaiya has carefully broken up the tamahagane plates, examined each piece for colour and density, and judged whether it should be used for the blade's hard outer shell or its soft core. Sadly, but not unsurprisingly, most pieces don't work for either. But that can sometimes be fixed. The pieces that are too brittle, she has heated again while the element of Air is forced through it. The pieces that are too soft she just remelts with more charcoal.

As the Scorpion army surrounds the walls, Kaiya's hard work has finally paid off. She is seated triumphantly between two piles of steel, enough between them to forge a katana. Perhaps a little more than necessary, actually, but perhaps a sword worthy of slaying an emperor should be big.

But for now, she is probably best used elsewhere. Kaiya cleans herself up, changes into something a little less stained with charcoal and dust, and goes to meet the others.

Working on Ai's sword and my Higher Purpose! :buddy:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Tora

Tora has spent the time before the arrival of the Emperor's armies selecting a small strike force, samurai who will throw themselves into the thickest fighting wherever need arises. At the moment he is standing on the roof of one of the guard towers near the main gate, arms crossed as he watches the enemy invest the castle. He glances down towards the walls and courtyard behind the gate. He expects the Emperor's soldiers to attempt an assault, if for no other reason than to spoil a sally from Kyuden Morichikai's defenders.

From his vantage, Tora hopes to spot it before it fully develops, so he and his warriors can put themselves in its way.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yogo Minoru

Minoru has passed the time quietly: once his spells were scribed, he takes clients, casting a well-worn pair of coins to pull at the future for them. Stay near this person, avoid this part of the battleground, ware a mask with this design. It's as comfortable as he gets, all told, and he goes about it with a calm that's hard to believe by anyone who actually deals with him on a personal level.

Today, he for once is avoiding Scorpion colours-- the last thing he would want would be to get confused for the enemy on a battlefield-- and his mask is subdued, for him, stiffened silk embroidered over with a pattern of vines that leaves his eyes clear and unobstructed. Paper wards are pinned inside his sleeves, easy for him to reach for, and unusually for him, he openly carries his sword on his right side. Though if it comes to him needing it, likely everyone is going to die. His scrolls lie rolled up in a case hanging from the opposite side, though the one he's expecting to use most doesn't need it.

While he's not exactly a skilled healer, it's there that he takes his spot. His defensive magic has little place on the front line, and he's hardly incompetent at patching people back up, either by magic or hand.

He busies himself to start by counting bandages, then re-counting them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kotone

Drilling goes on for the next two days in earnest. Kotone is careful to pace between meditation and actual practice, but it's the meditation that gets more attention than sword-swinging. Those who excel at practice catch her eye, but those who excel at patience... will likely get first duty on the walls. The battle will be a long siege, and she seeks out those with patience and determination over simple martial prowess. Those with more talent than discipline will be better suited to swift actions, stopgap measures, and counterattacks.

A more important lesson she imparts - particularly to archers she works with - is simple. Look for the unarmored, those bearing scrolls, anybody who keeps their weapon sheathed... and, of course, anybody flailing and chanting. The lore she shares leads towards a plain instruction: "Off the battlefield, they are priests. On the battlefield, they are targets. If you see a shugenja with the enemy, kill them first. Always."

As the enemy approached, Kotone is constantly on the move, checking on the men, keeping her presence always known. Fluid, she presumes the enemy will not attack from an expected direction, or in an expected manner. Instead, she seems to be making up for her lack of battle experience with sheer paranoia and concern.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Ikoma Takakage

After several days of storytelling, Takakage feels good about morale. Nobody expected the whole civil war plan to be easy--and anyway, there was nowhere to run. They knew that for which they had signed. Either they'd live like warriors or die... in much the same manner. He hoped. They were very good stories: relevant, factual, told by one trained by the best. But Mitsu-sensei taught that stories were not his only duty. He must think as the enemy.

In the hours preceding the attack, Takakage paced the castle grounds delivering messages for the defenders. It was excellent cover for his final investigations: Where would a spy hide? Where would a sapper dig? Were the latrines sound? How secure were the food stores? Water? The finer points of such deceptions--and indeed, siege craft, were beyond him, but an extra pair of eyes might be all that was needed to pierce the fog of war.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ai

Ai has been working on battle plans, being one of the better tacticians of the army. She's best at small unit tactics rather than siegebreaking, but she is trying her hardest. Lives are on the line - including both hers and her beloved's. As the day of battle nears, she has decided on where she will fight, however.

It is, perhaps, not the most cautious choice, but Ai has never been a cautious woman.

She's planning to fight throughout the siege, moving as needed...but she's going to start by trying to strike at enemy flanks as they come, near the front lines. A dangerous job, but one that will give excellent results if she can manage it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Moto Batu

Batu regards the forest. It's gone quiet. The Scorpion army is finally near. Batu is pleased. He has found a particularly thick area of the forest, creating near unpenetrable cover, or so he hopes. Others experienced with the woods have joined him. Together, they've chosen their positions and lie in wait. The Scorpions will come to them and they will fall.

If all goes well, the Scorpions, overconfident in their superiority will expose their flanks and allow the better fortified and prepared rebels to to strike. Batu has fought Scorpions before. This should be no different. And who knows? Perhaps he shall face his ultimate foe here.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Just to clarify: Morichikai is a mile or so from the edge of the woods, not in the forest itself. As such, anyone in the woods will be outside the walls, and unable to easily get back inside the safety of the castle when the enemy arrives, and will need to be confident that they can survive for the time until the bulk of your forces arrive. You may want to edit accordingly.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The Siege

So how this works: Are you at the fore, middle, or rear of the battle lines? Please clarify, are you in the Reserves, Disengaged, Engaged, or Heavily Engaged, when the battle begins. Day One of the siege will have three Battle Turns. At this time, the battle is even, neither side has the advantage. Next, everyone rolls 1d10 and adds the total to your Water Ring plus your Battle Skill. That's what I need you guys to do for now. Between Battle Turns, we'll have some opportunities for stuff, this is not a purely mechanical exercise.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That would be the Reserves for Minoru.

[00:21] <neongrey> !r 1d10
[00:21] <foxxbot> neongrey, 9

+ 2 water + 0 battle

= 11

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Reserves for Kaiya!

<foxxbot> Ettin, 8

+ 2 Water + 0 battle = 10

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Tora would be at the fore, and heavily engaged, since he's planning to go wherever the fighting is hottest.

Water+Battle: 1d10+2 3
Remind me to buy some Battle when we get XP

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kotone would be engaged, though not taking foolhardy risks. (Wait, scratch that, being engaged is a foolhardy risk!)

<ARBco> Courage Battle Roll time: ENGAGED TO THE FIGHT.
<ARBco> !r 1d10+3
<foxxbot> ARBco, 2 +3 = 5

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Takakage is disengaged--near the rear, but exhorting, encouraging, and enticing others while keeping an eye out for foul play.

Battle: Roll 1: 1d10o10+3 15

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Batu is engaged, stealthing and sniping people as best he can...

Water roll 1 1d10o10+3 5

...which is not that well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ai is Engaged.

[08:58] <foxxbot> MorsRattus, 5 +6 = 11

I will boost that to 16 with Tactician.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Battle Results

Minoru - Reserves - 11 = Neither Wounds nor Glory.
Kaiya - Reserves - 10 = Neither Wounds nor Glory.

Kaiya and Minoru can hear and see the fighting, but manages to avoid becoming involved for the time being. The injured soon begin arriving, though, and they have plenty to do to keep busy.

(Make with some healing stuff, it may turn the tide.)

Takakage - Disengaged - 15 - 1 die of Wounds, 1 Glory. (9 damage)

Takakage is busy keeping a rear guard up when a Scorpion bushi, injured, breaks through. Wild-eyed, the man fixes his attention on Takakage and charges, but after a brief skirmish is cut down by Takakage, though not before managing to inflict a nasty looking cut on Takakage.

Kotone - Engaged - 5 = 4 dice of Wounds, 1 Glory (31 damage)
Batu - Engaged - 5 = 4 dice of Wounds, 1 Glory (25 damage)
Ai - Engaged - 16 = 2 dice of Wounds, 1 Glory, and a DUEL! (5 damage)
Going to modify the DUEL to a HEROIC OPPORTUNITY, for all of you to join in on if you want, but Ai has to decide to call attention to this before the others can join in...

The fighting is fierce, and the Scorpion have brought archers, whose expert shots are wreaking havoc on your lines. Somehow, Ai manages to evade the worst of the barrage, as if through some divine guidance or second sight--and then, by the same preternatural perception, spots a path, a gap in enemy lines, leading directly to the enemy archers. A few bushi could easily disrupt them, but the fighting might be a bit tricky alone. If they're left unmolested, though, these archers may turn the tide of the battle for the enemy. WHAT DO YOU DO, AI?

Tora - Heavily Engaged - 3 = 5 dice of Wounds, 1 Glory, and a DUEL! (28 damage)
I'm modifying this duel to be a HEROIC OPPORTUNITY.

Tora, where the fighting is hardest, is scoured by both the enemy blades and the archers. As the battle rages on, Tora spots a lone Matsu, surrounded by the fallen bodies of numerous Scorpions, cut off from the rest of Toturi's Army. Three Scorpion have him flanked, and it looks as though he will fall without assistance...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Tora

Tora shoves one foe back with a free hand, sending him tumbling backwards, likely to be trampled. Just manages to bring his sword up to block a downstroke from another. Who is promptly speared in the side by one of Torturi's warriors. Then a riderless horse, nostrils flared and eyes rolling, runs through the melee, forcing Tora to leap back. The swirl of the battle tears the knot of men away, and Tora finds himself in one of the strange spaces of quiet in the midst of war. He realizes he has an arrow in his arm, not deep, but in the way.

He yanks it out, looking around, trying to get a feel for how the battle is going, but knowing its a hopeless fancy. Different from street fighting - he can see more, but it makes as little sense. Not any louder, but a sea of noise instead of the weird crashes and shouts of fighting house to house in a city, where a fight to the death in the next room can go unnoticed while the confused shouting of spooked sentries in the next quarter can sound as close as a man shouting in your ear. The ronin is on his own, the men he was with earlier lost in the swirl of combat. But then he spots the Matsu, equally alone, making a stand.

Without hesitation, Tora rushes to the Matsu's aid, sword held down by his side. As he comes near, he shouts at the Scorpion nearest him, judging the distraction worth more than complete surprise. "Dogs of the false Emperor! A true Scorpion faces you!"

Spending a Void Point to reduce the damage.

pre:
Tora Bayushi Satoru
Initiative: 7k5
Armor TN: 25 (20 Base, 5 Armor, +5 vs opponents with lower Initiative)

Void Points XO

Wounds
Healthy (+0)	Nicked (+3)	Grazed (+5)	Hurt (+10)
XXXXX XXXXX	XXXX		XOOO		OOOO

Injured (+15)	Crippled (+20)	Down (+40)	Out (-)
OOOO		OOOO		OOOO		OOOO

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 14, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yogo Minoru

Before the wounded start coming in, Minoru keeps ready, looking out to the battle, counting supplies needlessly, keeping an eye on the tea for the inevitable wounded to drink.

He moves fluidly to action when the wounded come, either under their own power or carried by their companions. He lets himself be directed by more experienced medics, deferring to their directions as he wields bandages and more. Minoru gets those in need onto cots, pressing teacups into their hands, exhorting them to drink something warm to keep their strength up. Few escape his ministrations without being assured that he knows beyond doubt that they shall survive this day-- he has seen it, that today is not their time. The dying he does not neglect entirely, setting them as comfortably as he can when he has the moment, assuring them that their next life will be bountiful, or that he is certain that they will pass on to their ancestors in Yomi.

Sometimes the visions he speaks of to the wounded are even true. The others-- he would not speak a lie when giving a reading, but to give comfort to those who will not live out the night, he sees no harm in the pleasing lies he murmurs with utter assurance.

To the three worst-off he comes across who are still like to survive, Minoru calls upon the kami, the prayer so familiar to him that he needs no scroll to recite it. It seems the water kami too sorrow at the battle, for he feels their power rush through him with a strength he has scarce felt before.

He draws on none of his stored wards yet; the day is still young.

I will be using my medicine skill at 4k3 as needed.

I am casting 3 shots of Path to Inner Peace, to be allocated at GM's discretion.

Total amounts healed, assuming TN 10: 22, 28, 22

Rolls located here: http://pastebin.com/RZmsRPk7

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ai

Ai does not hesitate at the thought of facing superior numbers. She has taken a bare scratch so far, guided by her anger and the teachings of Toku. To fight many or to fight a greater foe means using all you have and more. The secret to winning is the will to succeed, the drive to fight even in the darkness and a heart of justice that cannot be stopped.

"TO ME!" Ai shouts a cry out to those nearby, but she does not wait for them, diving into the fray to go after the archers. A few bushi to aid her would be nice - but Ai is one of Toku's chosen few. If she must face them alone, she will do it without hesitation.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Ikoma Takakage

Takakage laughs short and scornful at his attacker's wounding stroke: it was even clumsier than his own. He cherishes the brief moment of joy, knowing the real battle had hardly begun. The sight of a screaming ronin, blood gushing from his severed sword-arm, reframes the story. That one will die forgotten. I never knew his name. Although the desperation and triumph of the front lines call to Takakage, his duty is elsewhere. The heroic deeds that will immortalize the day will occur where blood and steel are thickest, not where he stands his ground. Nevertheless, he must stay where he is needed. Watching. Waiting. Smiling.

"Miyagi-san, capital dodge! Excellent strike, Shozaburo-san. That's another one for you, is it?"

pre:
Ikoma Takakage

Initiative: 5k3
Armor TN: 20 (15 Base, 5 Armor; Reduction 3)

Void Points OO

Wounds
XXXXX XOOOO	OOOO		OOOO		OOOO

OOOO		OOOO		OOOO		OOOO
Edited to account for armor reduction.

DNA Cowboys fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 14, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kotone

Kotone is quickly overwhelmed by a charge, caught on all sides fighting off entirely too many ashigaru, and is lost in a mass of foes. Though her blades catch enemy soldiers adeptly and leave a ring of dead or fallen around her, she's overwhelmed, caught with no simple escape route. Though her armor and the wide sweeps of her blades keep her from taking serious wounds, a spearman manages to catch her shoulder as she turns her attention away, cutting arrows out of the air with a loud kiai.

With a quick turn, she slices at the haft of the spear, turning to face the spearman. The reality of this hits her. Up until now, she's been in tournaments, duels, controlled situations. This, she can't control, and there's a bit of fear in her eyes.

Taking 31 wounds, reduced by 3 for light armor to 28, then reduced by 10 via a Void Point (arrow cutting!) to 18, leaving her with 18 wounds taken, putting her into Nicked (+3 TN).

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Moto Batu

Batu and his team focused on targeting where the Scorpions foolishly left themselves vulnerable. Seeking out such targets took much focus, and the Scorpions were so many that Batu and his men had less mobility than Batu was frankly comfortable with. As Batu realized his supplies were running short, he heard cries from his companions in the rear. A Scorpion strike force had found their perch and struck its flank. The bowmen were defenseless and fell before the Scorpions' spears. Batu flew into a rage. He took out his trusty scimitars and lept into the fray.

He had no time to get on his horse, so he was at a disadvantage. Of course, that hindrance was trivial compared to the dissolution of his strike force. The first Scorpion rider he tore down from her horse, slashing at her cheek. He caught a hoof to the shoulder, but with another cut the horse screamed and turned away, felling its rider. Batu barely dodged an incoming spear before having to contend with a soldier bearing a large axe. Batu made short work of the axe bearer, side stepping its slow attacks and cutting the attackers legs beneath him. Such derring-do couldn't continue for long, as more riders came. Determined to protect the few men that were left, Batu called the attackers to himself, his traditional kabuki makeup drawing attention.

4d10o10 - 21, take away 4 for riding armor, leaving Batu with 17 wounds. He's at Nicked (TN+3), with 1 more wound to go before Grazed.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Kaiya

Kaiya does what she can. She's a weaponsmith, not a healer, but she does have some training in medicine. Wounds are bandaged and stitched, herbal disinfectants and herbal teas applied where needed, more experienced healers are stepped aside for.

When she's not tending to the injured, Kaiya tries to make her talents useful. Suitable groups of samurai heading out to battle are rustled up and subjected to her blessings of speed, and if a samurai shows up with damaged armour, she is of course all over that.

She tries to ignore the part of her that hungers for Scorpion blood. Soon, Kaiya. Soon.

I have... Medicine 4k3! :toot:

Here's some rolls: <foxxbot> Ettin, 7 6 8 3 <foxxbot> Ettin, 6

In the meantime, I have spells! If they could come in handy, Kaiya can cast Embrace of Kenro-Ji-Jin (to give someone an hour of being able to swim through the earth, for sneaking or recon purposes) three times and Speed of the Waterfall (faster movement speed for an hour) twice. GM's discretion whether that's useful and who gets it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Minoru would slap up to 2 people with Elemental Ward (fire) on people getting buffed up for that kind of thing, and do his best to tuck the paper ward somewhere hard to notice as being the source of a ward

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The Battle

The fighting continues!

Disengaged

The injured trickle in for aid, which our brave shugenja dispense, actually successfully returning some of the bushi to the field through their efforts to continue fighting.

Engaged

Ai calls for a charge into the archers! Who is following our bold friend into the fray? Several of the other bushi around you, known only by face, follow, but do Batu and Kotone join in? Roll initiative!

Heavily Engaged

Tora, the Scorpion you're suddenly interrupting react with like, lightning-fast reflexes and you find yourself staring two of them down...as the man they were attacking strikes down the third. You each have one left, but it's time to do battle, and the other man strikes first...

Rolling a 63 for initiative. On 3 kept dice. And a 17 to hit.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Tora

His foe's speed comes as a surprise, but the enemy is merely an ashigaru, and no matter how quick his blow is it remains clumsy and easily parried by Tora's blade. Tora drives forward in its wake, his own sword making a scraping sound against the yari's haft. He makes a short slash at the man's side before spinning past, trying to place himself beside the Matsu. The strike opens a bloody wound on the ashigaru, who clumsily stumbles around in a circle of his own to stab at Tora. The masked ronin spots the opening almost too late, but manages to step inside the spear's reach and open the man from hip to shoulder with a single devastating blow.

Tora steps back quickly to avoid the spray of blood and the falling body, turning towards the last enemy.

Init of 28. Attack roll of 27. Damage roll of 20. Attack stance.

Ridley and I did the rest of the exchange on IRC. The ashigaru missed on his return attack, then I rolled a 23 to hit and 45 damage.

pre:
Tora Bayushi Satoru
Initiative: 6k4
Armor TN: 25 (20 Base, 5 Armor, +5 vs opponents with lower Initiative)

Void Points XO

Wounds
XXXXX XXXXX	XXXX		XOOO		OOOO

OOOO		OOOO		OOOO		OOOO

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 19, 2013

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kotone
Kotone backs away from the fight, stepping back. It's not cowardice when every direction contains blades, after all. "Don't worry, ashigaru!", she says to the spearman. "Get yourself a new spear and come at me, and I'll get around to killing you then!" Swinging around, she keeps her blades in motion, discouraging further assaults on her person for the moment. Taking a breath, Ai's cry gets her attention as she glances over her shoulder, not taking her eyes far from nearby warriors. With swift footwork, she makes her way to the side of her fellow warrior!

Moving to be back to back for a moment with the fellow ronin, she jokes, "I am with you! It's getting to be rather troublesome, cutting them all down on my own!" Flicking blood from her blades, she turns swiftly to move with Ai, preparing to strike the line of archers!

Initiative is 5k3, for a total of (18 + 6 + 9) 33! Going into Attack stance!
[01:05] <ARBco> .roll 5d10 [01:05] <+skybot> ARBco: 28 (5d10=1, 6, 9, 2, 10) [01:05] <ARBco> .roll 1d10 [01:05] <+skybot> ARBco: 8 (1d10=8)

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 19, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yogo Minoru

Minoru takes a bit of a breather before the next rush of wounded comes in, taking a too-strong cup of tea from the bottom of a pot right before the next batch is put on. His mask half-off, he makes a bit of a face at the bitter strength of the tea, but he makes no complaint beyond that. It's hot and wet, and that's the important part. On a day like this, that's enough to make any tea better than a vintage fit to be served to the Emperor.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ai

Ai smiles at Kotone, nodding to her.

"Well, with two of us, it should be less tiring! I almost feel bad for them, going up against us!"

[16:29] <MorsRattus> !r 1d10#4
[16:29] <Krysmbot> MorsRattus, 4 = 4, 7 = 7, 4 = 4, 7 = 7

Attack stance.

Ai posted:

TNtBH: 25 Init: 14 Stance: Attack Void: 2/2 Reduction: 5
Wound Track: [OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO]+0 [OOOOOO]+3 [OOOOOO]+5
[OOOOOO]+10 [OOOOOO]+15 [OOOOOO]+20 [OOOOOO]+40 [OOOOOO] RIP

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Batu has moved into the fray. In the chaos, the cavalry can't sustain their pursuit. Batu sees the fear in the horses' eyes and is satisfied. Seeing Ai's charge, he leaps into action, his scimitar already primed. The Scorpion archers will meet the same fate as his own ill fated team. That, in his estimation, is justice. "Don't keep all these men for yourselves," he barks to Kotone and Ai, "we shall all take our share of the prey!"

Initiative (5k3): 30 Taking Attack Stance. Batu is ready to attack, but his shoulder still smarts from taking that hoof, so he won't throw caution to the wind.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sorry for the delay, as most of you may already know my grandfather passed away last week.

Disengaged

As Kaiya and Minoru work to aid the injured, the monk Haru joins them. "Never was much of a fan of blood," he comments, "but when it comes down to it, I'd rather help keep it inside than out."

Engaged

Ai, Kotone, and Batu rush into the formation of archers, along with a few other bushi from your side. The archers drop their bows and yank wakizashi from their belts just in time to defend themselves.

The archers will go last, with the order being Kotone, Batu, Ai, and then archers/your ashigaru.

Heavily Engaged

Tora gets an opportunity to breathe as his opponent falls, neatly severed by the strength of Tora's blow--the lone bushi has felled his opponent as well. "Thank you, brother," says the Matsu. "I never expected to receive aid from a Scorpion...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ai

"Fine, we can share."

Ai draws her katana, focusing on the fury within her and the words of Toku. The greatest warrior is all the greater for their challenges. The more the world throws at them, the more they become. Like water, they fill any container. Like fire, they burn all the brighter for more wood.

And in the span of seconds, Ai has crossed the gap between herself and the archers, her sword carving easily through one of them in a blow that nears perfection.

[20:38] <%MorsRattus> Okay, 1 raise declared for extra damage:
[20:38] <%MorsRattus> !r 8#1d10
[20:38] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 8 1 2 3 5 5 10 9
[20:38] <%MorsRattus> !r 1d10
[20:38] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 10
[20:38] <%MorsRattus> !r 1d10
[20:38] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 1
[20:38] <%MorsRattus> !r 21+9+8+5
[20:38] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 21+9+8+5 = 43
[20:42] <%MorsRattus> 8k4 is the best dicepool
[20:43] <%MorsRattus> Let's see, damage
[20:43] <%MorsRattus> Oh wait
[20:43] <%MorsRattus> Wait I forgot to reroll my 1
[20:43] <%MorsRattus> Katana emphasis!
[20:43] <%MorsRattus> !r 2#1d10
[20:43] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 10 6
[20:43] <%MorsRattus> !r 1d10
[20:43] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 6
[20:43] <%MorsRattus> !r 16+26+9+8
[20:43] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 16+26+9+8 = 59
[20:43] <%MorsRattus> So that's really a 59

Damage:
[20:46] <%MorsRattus> !r 6#1d10
[20:46] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 10 8 1 6 9 2
[20:46] <%MorsRattus> !r 1d10
[20:46] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 2
[20:46] <%MorsRattus> 21 damage, 20 after reduction
[20:47] <%MorsRattus> oh wait, no
[20:47] <%MorsRattus> I get one more die, due to raise
[20:47] <%MorsRattus> !r 1d10
[20:47] <+foxxbot> MorsRattus, 7
[20:47] <%MorsRattus> Yeah, didn't matter

Ai posted:

TNtBH: 25 Init: 14 Stance: Attack Void: 2/2 Reduction: 5
Wound Track: [OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO]+0 [OOOOOO]+3 [OOOOOO]+5
[OOOOOO]+10 [OOOOOO]+15 [OOOOOO]+20 [OOOOOO]+40 [OOOOOO] RIP

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kotone

"Worry less on how many bodies you fell, and more on making sure none of them is your own!", Kotone calls out as she keeps one blade low and close, and brings her katana in for a lightning lunge, plunging it in and out a swift efficiency before the archer can raise blade in defense.

Raising an eyebrow as she sees Ai's cut, she salutes with her blade momentarily. Quickly, she turns her blade over in twirl, trying to keep the enemy line off-guard.

Rolling to katana-cut an archer with two raises for damage, roll is 44 against TN 31.

Damage is 24 - 1 for a total of 23.

The roll to hit in 10k4 with emphasis, the damage roll is 8k2 with raises included.

[21:36] <ARBco> !r 10#1d10 [21:36] <+foxxbot> ARBco, 1 5 9 4 8 9 2 2 8 8
[21:36] <ARBco> !r 1#1d10 [21:36] <+foxxbot> ARBco, 7
[21:38] <ARBco> !r 8#1d10 [21:38] <+foxxbot> ARBco, 10 9 1 8 4 5 9 3
[21:39] <ARBco> !r 1#1d10 [21:39] <+foxxbot> ARBco, 5

pre:
Initiative: 33
Armor TN: 27
Stance: Attack
Void: 2/3 general 3/3 technique
Wounds: 18 (Nicked)
TN Penalty: +3
Reduction: 3

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Tora

"It was my honor, brother. Not all Scorpion have forgotten loyalty, I promise you." Tora wipes the blood from his sword, then gives the Matsu a nod. "I am Tora."

• Locked thread