Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Rather than just listing the top 3 decks, it might be best to list the general archetypes as they exist now and discuss each in a post as the thread goes along. Descriptions would include core cards, how they play match ups, how they side vs. other archetypes and so on. Maybe even a price tag since some of them aren't cheap.

Jund
American control
Melira pod
Kiki jiki combo
Affinity
Infect
Delver
Rg tron
Mono red aggro
Etc.

You get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

TheKingofSprings posted:

Might I recommend Flagstones of Trokair? It's a legendary white land that comes into play untapped and fetches you a plains when it's destroyed, either by you or your opponent. Maybe it could be what you're looking for?

bonus, its a legendary permanent that you don't feel bad about having multiples of in your opening hand, etc. as it works out to 3 landfall triggers when the 2nd one comes down.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Some players at my fnm were complaining about how quick wotc has been to ban cards in modern and that modern is just "big standard" rather than all star decks duking it out. "I want to see cawblade vs. full power faeries vs. affinity" etc. Etc.

So let's pretend there isn't a modern ban list.

What do you build?

I'm thinking affinity with the addition of stoneforge mystic to fetch cranial, jitte or clamp, that should be good enough to win.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
burning tree shaman is a good shaman

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
call of the herd, eternal witness... I'd drop the farseeks and replace them sakura-tribe elder. Raging ravine is a good man land if you have them or can trade for them. Avalanche riders is a good card as well.

the way I see it, Jund likes to play cards that have 2 for 1 effects and/or provide long term card advantage. Do you have any phyrexian arena type cards, maybe harmonize? Krosan grip is a good sideboard card. Wolfbriar elemental provides card advantage but is easily countered.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 6, 2013

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If you want to build a modern mill deck it doesn't really need to be Jaces. You could easily run glimpse the unthinkable, mind sculpt and snapcaster to do the same thing. Also, you can't mill emrakul so going against those kinds of decks means you lose unless you're packing a leyline of the void. :(

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Regenerators I wouldn't be surprised to see:

Thrun
Experiment one
Varolz

Uhhhh.... welding jar??

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If you played during the first mirrodin block, you might have the start of an affinity/robots deck.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think there is a loam + seismic assault deck. It is tough to deal with 2 damage to target creature or player 3 times each turn. Not really in your colors though.

One thing that might be cool with eternal witness: familiar's ruse.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
4 ornithopter, 3 frogmite. Boom, 7 creatures on turn 1.

edit: mana is over rated.

edit 2: Burning-Tree Shaman as a sideboard card vs. splinter twin and planeswalker heavy decks. yea or nay?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Check out this sweet line of play....

T1. Steam vents untapped, play mass hysteria

T2: island, remove simian spirit guide for R, tap UU, play academy researchers. Attach eldrazi conscription, swing.

Edit: I'm not endorsing this, but if you're going to build a gimmick deck, go all the way.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Has anyone played with/against dredge decks?

I'm thinking of getting haakon / nameless inversion, and while he works well with gravecrawler there aren't really too many knights worth a drat in BG. Maybe I should make it Bwg?

Does it just get rolled by deathrite?

Stillmoon cavalier seems alright.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 2, 2013

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
living end can run avalanche riders too, also any loam deck will try ghost quarter shenanigans.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
How about that land destruction, eh?

I've got a tentative Ponza list here...

3 Ghost Quarter
10 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
3 Aether Vial
4 Crack the Earth
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fulminator Mage
4 Molten Rain
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Stone Rain
4 Zo-Zu the Punisher
4 Shivan Wumpus
4 Boom // Bust

Zo-Zu turns fetches into bad news overall, though I'll only get him out on turn 2 if I have a spirit guide in hand. I don't know if that is fast enough. He also makes the ghost quarters shock them if they search up a land.

T1, remove spirit guide, crack the earth then a mountain seems like an okay line too (assuming I am on the draw).

I was thinking manabarbs in the side board along with Ancient grudge, avalanche riders and sulfur elemental (I love that guy). Roughly 1/3 of the cards in the deck will destroy lands, I'm not sure what the critical mass should be. I think the wumpus would be a good finisher, though maybe deus of calamity instead? This is probably not viable at all and if I run into weenie aggro I am probably in for a bad match.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Deck idea:

Bant control using root maze and blind obedience to slow down opponents. Could include amulet of vigor and maybe karoos so you stay ahead on mana. Snap caster, advent of the wurm, remand or delay (run with teferi), wrath of marit lage

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I bought a box of MMA to get a bunch of the staples I'd need to break into Modern and got two foil Mythics! The red and blue dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Affinity answers to stony silence: tap your opal for mana with it on the stack, then deglamer/naturalize/whatever before the end of phase. If you don't have opal in play, then hope you get a glimmervoid to do the same thing. Remember, your side board should probably include some anti hate as well.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
crucible lets you run ghost quarters instead of tec edges. They'll run out of basics pretty quick, and then it is a repeatable strip mine.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think birthing pod is a matter of when (not if) some card(s) are banned in modern. It is a continous stream of card advantage via tutoring. As they print more creatures it will only get stronger. I think survival of the fittest was banned for the same reason, power creep in creatures made that deck reach critical mass. I know there are plenty of hate cards for pod but the same is/was true of survival of the fittest too.

Note: these bans I expect might not happen for years.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's been banned in other formats, including Modern currently.

Pretty good ban too, I think. Imagine the current living end deck, only they drop emrakul instead of over costed mid size dudes.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
mishra's bauble :getin:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They could print stuff like

1R

sorcery
destroy target nonbasic land

U
Instant
counter target activated ability if the source is a land

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
vedalken shackles would be good in mono blue.

I dunno about spreading seas, you use that with merfolk to make your dudes unblockable, here it is just 1U draw a card, which can be accomplished with think twice or whatever.

Aether vials are solid too.

I REALLY like hibernation.

Also, I don't think you necessarily need fetches to splash red. They'd be great, but if you don't want to shell out the $50 per, you could run:

4 steam vents
4 sulfer falls
4 cascade bluffs
4 shivan reef.

That's 16 lands that make U/R, keep 2 islands, the mutavaults. An opening hand of mutavault and cascade bluffs will suck, but thems the breaks.

Also, if you do end up cutting the cryptics, the curve drop may allow you to run less land.

edit: did they make enemy color fast lands in scars?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
A guy at an lgs runs modern goblins. Mox opal and ornithopters to sac to kuldotha rebirth, guides, chieftains, grenades.... it is REALLY fast.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It lets you run pacts...

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

JerryLee posted:

While strictly true, I feel like the pacts are pretty bad even if you "only" essentially skip your turn (except the untap and any creatively stacked upkeep effects) rather than losing the game.

I'm trying my best to get mileage out of sundial of the infinite, it is kind of hard. Pacts still suck and so do the following lines of play

If you have phage in the graveyard, you can reanimate her and end the turn with the trigger on the stack.
you can play hunted dudes and end the turn with the token triggers on the stack.
you can let treacherous pit dweller eat it in combat and end the turn with the go to opponent trigger on the stack.
you can discard emrakul, end the turn with the shuffle trigger on the stack, then zombify her next turn.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

C-Euro posted:

Do you think you'd be able to get a list next time you see him? I'd be interested in seeing how it works.

4 mox opal
4 ornithopter
4 memnite
4 signal pest
4 goblin arsonist
4 Legion Loyalist
4 goblin bushwhacker
4 Goblin Guide
2 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Grenade
4 kudoltha rebirth
4 Contested War Zone
14 mountain

edit: he runs out of steam pretty darn fast, but it usually doesn't matter.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think golgari grave troll could come off. There is enough GY hate in modern (even maindeck DRS and oozes) that he's not going to do anything busted. At best/worst he'll make vengevine decks move up to tier 2 from the nega tier they've been banished to thanks to RTR block.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
this is kind of like the drake equation, I'm going to list some variables

ABUR duals available for use by legacy players is what we're after = Dleg

we start with ABUR duals that have been printed = Dprn

ABUR duals in retail inventory = Dret

"" in unopened packs = Dup

"" destroyed in fires/floods = Ddes

"" in EDH decks = Dedh

"" in kitchen table decks (just any player without an active DCI registration) = Dktd

"" forgotten in attics/basements/storage units = dfor

Dleg = Dprn - (Dprn *D ret - Dprn * Dup - Dprn * Ddes - Dprn * Dedh - Dprn * Dktd - Dprn * dfor)

edit: I'm sure there is a more elegant way to write this.

What kind of fraction would you put on each of these variables?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They're pretty solid in modern gruul aggro. That isn't a tier 1 deck but it is certainly FNM capable.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Here's a pod deck I play. I copied it from GP Antwerp (Christian Schneider).

1 Blood Crypt
3 Copperline Gorge
2 Forest
2 Kessig Wolf Run
3 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Stomping Ground
2 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Woodland Cemetery
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Deathrite Shaman
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Fauna Shaman
2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Strangleroot Geist
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Wall of Roots
1 Anathemancer
1 Cunning Sparkmage
1 Domri Rade
1 Eternal Witness
3 Sprouting Thrinax
4 Birthing Pod
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
1 Huntmaster of the Fells
1 Murderous Redcap
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Thragtusk
1 Zealous Conscripts

Sideboard:
4 Thoughtseize
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Rakdos Charm
1 Anathemancer
1 Dismember
1 Zo-Zu the Punisher
1 Avalanche Riders
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Caldera Hellion

Haven't actually gotten to combo with kiki/conscripts, and I think the deck is way closer to aggro than combo. Cards I don't like much: Fauna Shaman, Caldera Hellion. Everything else is a-okay. I Stormbreath over thundermaw hellkite mostly because pro white lets him dodge PtE.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Oversoul can't be pulsed, bolted, bounced. pte is the only real common removal that will get her aside from WoG type sweepers. Deus seems good too, but are 5 drops where you want your devotion to a color to come from or are they a target after building devotion with 1-3 drops like strangleroot or wistful selkie?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
http://www.deckbox.org/sets/538512

I added the blue splash here to replace cunning sparkmage with izzet staticaster, add glen elendra archmage and as a side bonus, have mana for spellskite activations.

Does the mana base look okay?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I'm not really looking for the combo win. I'm testing the parasite for planeswalkers, etc. He's first on the chopping block if he doesn't pull his weight.

Making thragtusk copies feels plenty good. Same with aristocrat, thrinax, huntmaster, staticaster, etc. Phantasmal could be a great addition.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Birds of paradise make for a bad top deck, and Jund lists will need to squeeze GY hate into their 75. They won't be as resilient against aggro decks and they won't have grim lavamancer-esque reach anymore.

Sure, it'll be a value pile, but one that isn't as resilient.

Honestly I'm hoping to see vengevine decks make some waves.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 3, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Jenx posted:

I am sure I've seen a bunch of Mishra, Artificer Prodigy Modern deck lists running around, and I absolutely love the thing. However, for the life of me I can't find the one I'm looking for, so if anyone could point me in the general direction of a deck list for it, I'd appreciate it. (Yes, I know it's not all that amazing, I don't care. It does awesome things, and I will play it.)

Ichor wellspring, epochrasite, thopter foundry, chromatic star/sphere, thirst for knowledge/perilous research, lightning bolt/galvanic blast, you get the idea.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Modern Dredgevine

1 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Blood Crypt
3 Forest
4 Marsh Flats
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Stomping Ground
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Faithless Looting
4 Gravecrawler
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Abrupt Decay
4 Bloodghast
1 Fauna Shaman
3 Grisly Salvage
4 Lotleth Troll
2 Nameless Inversion
1 Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
4 Vengevine

Sideboard:
4 Darkblast
2 Pithing Needle
3 Thoughtseize
2 Rakdos Charm
2 Sword of Light and Shadow
2 Creeping Corrosion

+ haakon - fauna? move darkblast to main over haakon/nameless? Not sure if the interaction is cool enough. I do like haakon + gravecrawler though, pretty much always get vengevines.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Can someone link the breakfast burrito guide (yet again)?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Archive trap is the real star and I don't think there is an equivalent burn spell (that miracle for 5 maybe?)

Getting to do 5 to the dome for 0 would make any burn player drool.

That's why you've got ghost quarter, surgical extraction and path in the normal decks. Red has ways of making people shuffle, I'd see what you can get in modern

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They made zuberas 1/2 because of clamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
So what're the core pieces of skred red? What's so great about it?

• Locked thread