Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

TheKingofSprings posted:

Modern
Second Sunrise is banned.

Vintage
Regrowth is unrestricted.

Standard, Extended, Legacy
No changes

Welp :v:

RIP Eggs, you had a good run.

I was really hoping for a Bitterblossom unban, but thats perfectly fine too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Are there usually Modern side events at non-Modern GPs? I'm going to be heading to GP Bangkok in June which is RTR Block Sealed, and I'd like to give Modern a spin. I've never been to a GP before, so I'm not sure what to expect or what to bring.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't know, I just can't see that really being competitive. Its cute, but I think I'd have to see it in actual practice.

That said, if I wasn't already committed to slowly building a few modern decks already, I'd want to toy with it. Love seeing uses for terrible cards like Ghoulcaller's Bell.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Hellequin posted:

Is tokens the only viable B/W deck option? I've been meaning to get into modern because I really like the idea of eternal formats, and as much as I'd love to get into Vintage my cards only really go back to Ice Age.

I quite like B/W Martyr-Proc (although its basically just splashing for things like Orzhov Charm and Vizkopa Guildmage, so you don't weaken the martyr's effect), and I've seen a few people try to splash black in Soul Sisters. I think Jackie Lee ran B/W Martyr-Proc back in San Diego, if you can find her list.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Is Regeneration really an issue in Modern? I'm grabbing the last few pieces I need for a deck, and can't find decently priced Wrath of Gods, and was wondering if Day of Judgment is good enough. I can't really think of any regeneration creatures used in modern, but I also don't have a ton of experience with the format.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Ah, I'm at a GP and all the shops are closed- throwing something together for the Modern event on Sunday (limited supplies/time frame). The only Wraths I saw were some extremely beat up older editions they were overcharging for (I think equivalent would be $15+. I like the modern frame/black border and cards not marked to hell, so I may wait until I can order some online to grab it. I was just curious if I could grab the Day of Judgements without sabotaging my deck too much.

Thanks for the help!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm new to Modern, and have been working on acquiring cards for BW Tokens, BW Martyr Proc, and Mono-W Soul Sisters. Just finding a deck you like and going for it is probably going to be the best answer. After the modern tournament today though, I'm really wishing I had something more aggressive.

Only 14 people showed up to the Modern event at GP Bangkok- which fortunately meant even in last place I'd still walk away with enough to make my entry fee back. Prizes went down to like the top 24 or 32, can't recall. Judges decided to keep the prize payout as posted, and then kept the extra prizes that there weren't enough players for, for themselves.

Over the weekend I'd seen Tron, Affinity, and a couple other decks being played when I was walking around the place, so I tried to focus my sideboard slots on things like Ghost Quarters, Kataki, Stony Silence, etc. Turns out this was 100% a mistake-

2 Infect Players
1 GW Hatebears
1 GWB Reanimator
3 Jund
2 UWR Control
1 Gargadon-Balance
1 Glass Cannon Griselbrand
1 U/R Faeries
1 RDW
And my BW Martyr-Proc

First match against Infect was a disaster of epic proportions, and it was all I could do to prolong the game with removal, wraths, and ghost quarters to stop the infection. In the end I never got the pieces for my own aggro or the vizkopa/martyr on the board. 0-2

Second match against Glass Cannon Griselbrand. Turn 3 Emrakul. Game two, Turn 3 Emrakul. 0-2

Third match against Gargadon. Had no idea what to expect and soon found myself with no lands. My sideboard options finally proved themselves useful until the Stony Silence got taken off. I was able to consistently wait out the Gargadon in game 2, and hold back a plains in my hand to Path it. Opponent resolved 3 Restore Balances, but I was able to keep afloat and took him down with Lingering Souls slowly but surely. Third game, all his artifacts became creatures and the most recent balance had left me with no lands to play Wrath. Still, this was the only matchup I thought I did decently against. 1-2

Fourth match was a buy because I am literally the worst player, and then Fifth match was against U/R Faeries. I basically was incapable of resolving any spells past the first turn. Put up a better fight in the second game, but still managed to lose it by mistakenly targeting dudes who the Faerie Lord gave Shroud. 0-2

I had a lot of fun, and enjoyed playing my deck despite the fact it was heavily, heavily outmatched. The RDW player wasn't playing anything far off from Standard, and still managed to go a solid 2-2 that I saw before dropping. After watching it in action, I'm considering putting together Burn or RDW as a secondary deck.

TL;DR I am a terrible Modern Player. Please help me out with learning how to sideboard properly/broadly against a wide range of opponents.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5310&d=230619

:stare:

So, um.

This seems like a pretty crazy deck to me. Anyone have any thoughts on it? How viable does it look to you as a deck? My first thought was if it got anywhere near prolific it would get banned so loving fast.

Also, I feel like it could use some Street Wraiths mainboard, maybe?

Its completely viable. I played against a similar version last month and I walked into it completely unprepared and not knowing what to expect. It placed around the middle of the tournament overall, but the competition was pretty stiff. The major difference between what I've played against and this deck is that it doesn't rely on border posts to continually bounce their lands back to their hands, which is necessary to get Restore Balance to it's most effective. Its heavy on lands in a deck thats looking to not have many lands on the board.

I really don't know what this version of the deck offers that the older Gargageddon deck doesn't.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Whats the state of Combo Elves right now? Once I finish putting together my RBW Burn deck, I'm thinking of turning towards assembling an Elves deck. I remember seeing some lists incorporating Beck//Call, but don't know if it ever really took off.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Tharizdun posted:

what is this i dont even

U/B Mill has 3-1 and 4-0d some daily events on MTGO.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm looking to get into Legacy, albeit with cheap not-competitive-at-all decks like Burn and Werewolf Stompy, with an eventual eye towards putting together that Zombie/Goblin Bombardment deck. It's probably my next step after I finish the few modern decks I'm working on/picking up staples.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Wadjamaloo posted:

The problem with burn is that its "good matchups" are like 55/45 and its bad matchups are 10/90. You just can't reasonably beat countertop and many of the combo decks, and deathrite decks also give you major headaches.

A legacy thread would be nice, I'd be interested in doing some cockatrice stuff with goons, but this thread doesn't exactly move that fast. Is there a good reason we should't just make this into a single eternal format thread for legacy, modern and vintage?

Yeah, I think maybe just having it be an Eternal format thread will be better than splitting everything off into smaller corners. Also, I don't have a lot of experience/knowledge of legacy other than what ive read or watched, and was curious if anyone knew how that zombie/bombardment deck actually was. I remember Sam black doing well with it quite a while ago, but I don't know if its just died and gone away.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, I'm starting to look more at legacy decks, and realised I had no idea what people meant when they said MUD. I'm looking at the decklist now, and I'm not sure if I understand its gameplan or how it feasibly competes. Can someone help me out with a MUD breakdown?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

8th-snype posted:

I haven't actually played MUD but the general idea is to chalice or lodestone golem early and then beat down with a big artifact creature. Eternal formats rely on cheap removal so chalice for 1 cmc almost assures victory.

Ah, thanks- I was just curious because it really looks like most of the key pieces to the deck come out pretty late or are easily disrupted. Its a deck that includes a lot of cards I already have/am planning to acquire very soon for Stompy (Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors/Chalice/Trinisphere/etc), and was curious how it played. I just saw the Forgemaster/Welder/artifact tutoring shenanigans in the lists I was looking at, with not a whole lot of protection/disruption.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, I just saw this Modern deck on the main site and I keep laughing because it might actually mean I can use all those Prophecy Avatars I hung onto from when I was a kid.

Deck: Plunge

//Lands
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Gemstone Mine
4 Godless Shrine
4 Isolated Chapel
4 Marsh Flats
3 Plains
3 Swamp
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Angel's Grace
4 Faith's Shield
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Path to Exile
4 Plunge into Darkness
2 Rite of Consumption
1 Slaughter Pact
4 Spoils of the Vault
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Avatar of Hope
4 Death's Shadow
2 Spellskite

//Sideboard
1 Avatar of Hope
2 Cavern of Souls
3 Infest
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Thoughtseize

Display deck statistics

Has anyone ever seen this in the wild or played against it? I have a half a mind to throw it together and test it out.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

C-Euro posted:

Nice article on the mothership outlining the various popular Modern archetypes. Pretty sure this is what Gravy Train Robber was reading earlier.

Yes, sorry, I forgot to link the full article. I had just never heard of that deck before! The others I'm at least marginally familiar with (and in the case of Goryo's, hate with a vengeance).

I'm still running RBW Burn and a rather interchangeable Soul Sisters/Martyr Proc/BW Tokens lists in Modern but none of those seem to be doing that great currently. I mean, obviously they weren't Tier 1 to begin with, though.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Filthy Monkey posted:

Still playing my modern BG rock list on MTGO. Been sucking in dailies, though I have been about breaking even in two mans. I did play against one combo deck in a two man yesterday which I had never seen before. It is a mono blue deck that puts down howling mines, temple bells, and extraplanar lenses, then chains together extra turn spells until it can hardcast an Emrakul. To be honest, it doesn't look half bad. I won the match, but only after he fizzled in the third game. I had to sit and watch it play to completion, just because I had never seen it before.

Found a video of the deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1h1IPebzq0

That looks equally annoying and hilariously fun. I can't imagine anything other than the Cryptic Commands and Remands are expensive, so it wouldn't be too hard to put together for kicks.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Veyrall posted:

Aeons Torn, indeed. Jesus, at one point he forgot how many turns he had left, and his opponent was just left sitting there and suffering.

He's got a lot of videos of him running this deck, but from what I can tell the one posted here is the only one where he won the match. I just watched him get annihilated by Affinity, and then by R/G Tron.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I really wish I was able to play MTGO, would probably save me a lot of money (I spent all my money on this Macbook)

I play Modern in paper, but don't have a chance to particularly often. I'll be moving back to the US though, and I'm hoping I can find some shops that run events for the eternal formats.

Is anyone going to GP Brisbane for Modern? I'm debating it, but probably can't swing it since I'm already going to HK for business a few weeks later and will catch the GP there on the weekend.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

netcat posted:

Was there any monored painters lists for legacy? I'm interesting in building one since it seems like it would be a decent budget alternative (online, of course, where Imperial Recruiter is like $3).

The list that just won Baltimore was Monored Painters, and I think is either on this page or the previous one.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
How is Merfolk doing in Modern these days? Its a deck I've been looking at, and was curious if there was anyone here who played it who could talk a bit about it, or post their decklist.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
So the daily deck today for Modern on the main site is an "Esper Cawblade". At first glance, I'm having trouble seeing what makes this stand out among various control options in Modern- and the difficulty in actually seeing any of the titular blades. I didn't get back into Magic until after Innistrad released, so I missed this sort of deck the first time around and can't really judge it very well. Is this something we could start seeing more of?

Thinking about swords also got me thinking about the different Stoneblade decks in Legacy, and this WBR version that got Top 8 in an SCG event. Out of all the Stoneblade/Deathblade variants, what would be recommended for someone looking to start up Legacy? (I technically have Burn and Werewolf Stompy but those don't really count as particularly competitive).

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Would it be worthwhile to run a singleton Batterskull in addition to the swords in a list like that? Or does it come down too slow and a 4th-5th Sword would be better?

I'm looking to move away from BW Tokens, which is what I currently run in paper- it just hasn't been performing well and comes down too slow even with disruption. I've got most of the cards for this though, and was thinking of giving it a try (or Esper Teachings, possibly). Theres currently a lot of combo decks where I'm at now, which is pushing me to go blue/Esper to have counters available.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Singleton batterskull wouldn't really work, it doesn't have much synergy with the rest of the deck. It's better in decks that try to grind down the opponent and is usually kept in the side. You might be better off with Wurmcoil, especially against red decks. If you're looking to gain life I'd rather put in Sword of War and Peace.

I love me Esper Teachings and yeah if you want to prey on combo it's probably a good choice, especially if you maindeck Inquisition or Thoughtseize.

Thanks, do you happen to know of any recent Esper Teachings lists? I keep an eye on the decks that get posted from MTGO events, but haven't seen Teachings crop up at all, and I'd like to get an idea of what to build towards.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I've also been having trouble with BW Tokens lately. Out of curiosity, what list are you running?

On thing I've begun to suspect is that Hero of Bladehold isn't actually that effective, and that I might be better off with additional Elspeth, Knight Errants. My meta is also full of combo that likes to tap out (no tron), and I'm actually considering the (terrible) solution of throwing in Mana Tithe in my sideboard as an additional T1 play.

Whats 4 color burn look like? I have a 3-color RBW Burn deck thats about 80% complete I've had on the backburner for a while.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

GEMorris posted:

"4-color burn" is RBW with one Stomping Ground for activating Deathrite Shaman to remove a creature from a GY.

My BW Tokens list is missing Auriok Champions, but is as such:

4x Inquisition (should be 2x)
1x Duress (should be 3x Thoughtseize)
4x Tidehollow Sculler
4x Raise the Alarm
3x Intangible Virtue
2x Honor of the Pure
3x Zealous Persecution
4x Spectral Procession
4x Lingering Souls
2x Midnight Haunting
1x Hero of Bladehold
1x Elspeth, Knight Errant
4x Path to Exile

4x Windbrisk Heights
4x Godless Shrine
4x Arid Mesa
4x Marsh Flats
2x Swamp
5x Plains

I'm not entirely sure Midnight Haunting is needed in addition to Lingering Souls + Spectral Procession at the 3 drop slot- I'd probably replace these with Auriok Champions once you get them. I also think you are probably running too many copies of Windbrisk Heights- we're on a fairly slow game plan as it is and I'm not a huge fan of it coming into play tapped. I have 2x in my deck, and they show up about as often as I want to see them. I'd cut at least one or two of them and replace it with either some Isolated Chapels/Fetid Heaths or Ghost Quarter. I've always found Ghost Quarter maindeckable, but thats mostly due to my meta.

I'm personally about to cut Hero of Bladehold out of my deck, and run 2-3x Elspeth, and possibly 1-2x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad at the top of my curve instead. I'm in the process of trying to overhaul my deck at the moment, and haven't done much testing of these changes yet. I'm going to work on finishing it up this weekend and will post my results with it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Jenx posted:

I didn't, but let me guess? Jund/Pod all over the place?

6 Jund, 1 Affinity, 1 Pod

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Filthy Monkey posted:

Saw a legacy eight-man queue needed one more person, so I hopped in with the manaless dredge deck. Won match one, though I am not sure what the opposing deck was. What legacy deck runs chalice, Hanweir Watchkeep, mountains, and ancient tomb? I saw Phyrexian Revokers postboard, but don't know if they were in the main deck.

First one is Werewolf Stompy, and is the only Legacy deck I have, and never ever get a chance to play. Tries to Blood Moon/Chalice/Trinisphere into Werewolves which flip when the opponent can't play spells, using Hanweir Watchkeep and Instigator Gang. Its not good, but is amusing when it comes together and I wanted an excuse to play werewolves in a constructed format. Revoker is usually mainboard.

Edit: The other reason for Werewolves is that it sort of becomes more Human Tribal using Cavern of Souls and Simian Spirit Guide to power out a T1/T2 Magus of the Moon through any counters.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I finally got a chance to play some more Modern tonight, and I broke out BW Martyr-Proc again, with a few changes. Its still not well positioned, but I thought it'd be a change of pace from BW Tokens. My friend I was testing against was running a pretty standard UWR Control deck, and I was surprised by how some of the cards I thought were very marginal actually played massive roles-

Namely, in a fair number of matches my singleton Chalice of Life//Chalice of Death came down and there just wasn't anything he could do about it after an early Martyr activation to ensure the transform triggers. His sideboard didn't pack much (any? I think?) artifact hate, and even if he had got something to deal with it, its still a single card out of my deck thats unlikely to show up. I always get perplexed looks when I play my the Chalice, which I do mostly because I have a foil one and think it looks awesome- but today I finally had it show up and do some actual work.

Having lovely cards punch above their weight in older formats always makes me feel good. Its also a large reason behind my choice to build Werewolf Stompy. I want to sit across from an opponent with a thousand dollar deck and watch as he is destroyed by the Hanweir Watchkeeps I rescued from a bin.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

AgentSythe posted:

What sort of peasant has a legacy deck that only costs one thousand dollars? Yeesh.

I play mono-red because I am a communist. Death to the Wizard Bourgeoisie.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5627&d=232607

It really doesn't come up often, but it's there and this seems like an alright card for it.

I was about to say, there is also a Mono-Black discard based deck, but that focuses on Poison/Phyrexian Crusader/Runechanter's Pike and I was about to talk about how Waste Not really doesn't synergise with that either.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Werewolf Stompy makes the Daily Deck feature for the second time this year after a 3-1 finish. :unsmith:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Entropic posted:

That looks bizarre. Is it just a gimmick or are werewolves actually the most efficient 3-4 mana threats in Legacy when your opponent can't cast spells?

Part of it is also running Humans to get the most out of Cavern of Souls, and also getting Magus of the Moon through counters T1 or T2. I have seen some Dragon Stompy decks play a much more suicide oriented plan, using stuff like...that Phyrexian Dragon with Phyrexian-mana firebreathing to get fast kills after the lock. Werewolves are just kind of resilient, and also amusing.

But yes, I chose to make this my Legacy deck because its a gimmick that will (occasionally) work. Not sure if its the most efficient, theres a good argument for Dragons.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
So, while browsing Modern tournament results, I came across a few decks that piqued my interest and that I hadn't seen before. Notably, an Esper Control deck running Zur the Enchanter, Geist of St Traft, and Meddling Mage that looks annoying in the extreme- and also a Shaman Tribal (???) aggro deck that looks fairly explosive. Has anyone played either of these decks before?

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
3 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Snow-Covered Island
4 Marsh Flats
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Snow-Covered Plains
2 River of Tears
4 Seachrome Coast
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Watery Grave
4 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Meddling Mage
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Vendilion Clique
4 Zur the Enchanter
2 Detention Sphere
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Path to Exile
4 Remand
2 Steel of the Godhead
4 Thoughtseize

//Sideboard
1 Illness in the Ranks
2 Negate
2 Rest in Peace
1 Rule of Law
4 Spreading Seas
2 Stony Silence
3 Threads of Disloyalty

Display deck statistics

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

jassi007 posted:

I think now that they've made a good Chandra we'll get to see some other red planeswalkers going in different design directions. Koth 2.0 or Tibalt 2.0 maybe?

Tibalt will be the first 1 Mana Planeswalker.

Loyalty 1

+1 Lose 5 Life
-1 Lose 10 Life
-3 Lose the Game

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Zoness posted:

Has anyone taken a look at Cifka and Juza's W/R Twin list and tried it against the more classic U/R lists?

I think the idea is that it has a better matchup against Jund than U/R or something and also blood moon shenanigans but the lack of cantrips is kind of awkward. Village Bell-Ringer as its combo piece is kind of funny.

I just got done testing W/R Twin earlier today with a buddy. Didn't try the mirror/with U/R Twin, but tested against UWR Control and had a really good matchup pre and post board.

I've not got a lot of experience either playing twin or playing against it, but the list seemed pretty solid over a couple matches. I like that it wasn't as all-in on the combo, and had the ability to out tempo/have some resilience other than the main plan.

It was a blast to play, and I'd really like to hear some other testing feedback from players better than myself before I start thinking of building it in paper.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Tharizdun posted:

Been looking at a bunch of old cards, and I discovered that Zur's Weirding is actually Modern-legal. Assuming you have a way to gain 2 life a turn, you can effectively lock your opponent out of the game forever (and they to you, but it's likely that you can run threats = their life total/2)

Obzedat?

I had some time to do some Modern testing with my friend on Cockatrice earlier. He stuck to different variations of RWU Control, and UR Delver lists. I decided to take Mono-U Tron, Goblin Tribal, and that weird BW Plunge Into Darkness/Death's Shadow deck that I probably brought up in the thread a while ago.

I only won a single game (out of half a dozen or so) with the BW deck, but christ was it a hell of a lot of fun to play even if I kept loving up decisions/how to stack triggers. Its not competitive, but the sheer fun I had playing it has got me considering building it in paper now.

I mean, you get the opportunity to name cards that aren't even in your deck for Spoils of the Vault. Phedalgriff. Trait Doctoring. Doesn't matter. Suddenly my Death's Shadow is a 53/53 at instant speed and I can't lose the game this turn despite being at -40 life and no longer having a library.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Mono-B Pox really isn't much of a budget deck these days.

If it wasn't for the City of Traitors, I'd say you could always try Werewolf Stompy!

Which reminds me that I need to finish getting a playset of those after i finish my next standard deck.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Wadjamaloo posted:

Don't me get wrong I like the art direction and the way blocks feel cohesive, the cards just feel sterile. I like how in the older stuff you can see brush strokes and artist individuality stands out more. I think Lorwyn was a nice high point for blending both.

I absolutely agree, Lorwyn and Shadowmoor were kind of a high point for me. I wasn't back into magic when it came out, but a few years later some friends and I picked up a bunch of Shadowmoor and Eventide to do draft/sealed as a kind of casual one-off and absolutely loved it. There was a guy who only worked on Lorwyn block, that really nailed the storybook feel (probably because he was a children's book illustrator)- Larry Macdougal, that I really liked. Toil to Renown, Suture Spirit, Drove of Elves, and one of the awesome Shadowmoor Plains.

Looking back over my old Mercadian Masques/Invasion block stuff, I'm also struck by just how much Guay there used to be. Beautiful stuff that really hits my nostalgia for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd like Bitterblossom to come off so that I could throw it in my BW Token deck. Granted it'd do more in Jund or others, but anything to make BW Tokens slightly better is alright in my book.

• Locked thread