Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why does wizards hate fun? Nothing was wrong with eggs or storm, they weren't oppressive or doing anything harmful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Travis Woo is posting about combo elves on Facebook. Do you guys think beck//call is enough to make it work?
I really love playing combo, but I hate kiki-twin. I like the combo decks where the entire deck is some crazy sort of engine, not just A card plus B card = win.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

Everyone play UR Faeries and punish the three-color decks with Blood Moon on games two and three.
Is this a thing? It sounds sweet.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The white splash is really inconsistent. A lot if matchups are races and you end doing way too much damage to yourself from lands. BR is fine.
You also need 4x skull crack to stand a chance.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Algid posted:

What sort of lifegain am I trying to hose with skullcrack exactly? I could use a lot of help with sideboarding in general.
Kitchen finks, lightning helix, and martyr of sands mainly. UWR will beat your face in with helix, snap, helix. It may even be worthwhile to run rain of gore or leyline if punishment sideboard. Martyr proc is pretty big right now and leyline is your only hope if winning.
I am at work right now, but I can post up my list and some more info later.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Beck//Call may find its way into combo elves, or affinity, but probably not.
Double lightning bolt ral zarek may see play in America, although ajani probably just does it better.
Voice of resurgence will certainly see play in zoo. I expect the burning tree emmisary gruul deck to splash for it.
I still think there is some interesting space with blood scrivener that is worth exploring. It does some neat things that BoB doesn't and I liek to try experimenting with it and faithless looting, dangerous wager, and firey temper.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I agree Debt Collector may have it's uses, and I'm guessing you mean mostly for Beck of Beck//Call? I'd probably just rather keep Thoughtcast though.

I just realized that if I'm able to get off my Teysa (Orzhov Scion) exploit off to make her spirits black (Glamerdye on her to change references to white to black or Painter's Servant picking Black) then Maw of the Obzedat lets me give creatures +∞/+∞. Nom nom nom.
Yep, the beck portion. Travis woo (I know) had an affinity list running it. It could aggro out, or possibly draw the entire deck and win with disciple of the vaults and a sac outlet. Beck is probably completely unnecessary in affinity though. I've been goldfishing combo elves and its really fun to play, but terribly inconsistent. The deck just does nothing if you don't draw beck, and even if you do, you fizzle out a lot, or you get to cast non-lethal craterhoofs.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Aside from goyf and fetches the gruul aggro decks are super cheap. Burning tree emissary, flithoof boar, goblin guide, kird ape, experiment 1.

Goyf can be subbed with any other undercosted 2 drop and you can build a budget mana base without fetches.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I love everything about this deck.
Same here, I plan on building it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The ensnaring bridges seem pretty key. It looks like you have to disrupt them enough to land a bridge then just ride that to victory. Its amazing how few decks can beat a hellbent bridge.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mulletstation posted:

But there is so so so much artifact destruction in modern. Not to mention that the combo decks don't even need to attack you.
What combo decks? splinter twin? pod? They fold to ensnaring bridge. No one sides in more than 4 artifact removal and I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep them from drawing it. I'm not saying the deck is tier one, but it definitely looks like it has some game to it and is a solid budget choice.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Eh, I think Jace is fine in modern. Tapping out for a Jace is such a huge liability, most decks can just kill you if you do that.
Control could use the boost too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If you tap out for Jace against combo there is a huge chance you are dead. Control could use the boost too, there really isn't a real good control deck right now. In modern I feel like Liliana is probably the better planeswalker. Yes IoK into Liliana, into Jace is going to be back breaking, but so is just IoK into Liliana into anything.

As for hurting a bunch of innocent people or whatever, its not like they can't ban him again if he does prove to be powerful. I would certainly rather see them take some things off the ban list instead of add more to it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

And the only deck regularly packing leyline was eggs which has been banned.

You are pretty boned if they have turn 0 leyline anyways. It's better to just use SB slots for something else and hope they don't have it.
Trying to turn a 0% win into a 10% win is sort if pointless.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

Is UR storm still real or did it only do well because Jon Finkel was playing it?
Variance. Its not necessarily seething song that made it work per se, it just need rituals. If we had another 2cc add 3 it would be fine. If you draw the right cards it still wins, but a lot of the time you just end up with hands that do nothing.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

I'm in love with Life from the Loam. When I was able to use it at Portland, it was always the superstar. I had one game go:

Turn 1: Weathered Wayfarer
Turn 2: Ghost Quarter
Turn 3: Ghost Quarter
Turn 4: Ghost Quarter
Turn 5: Ghost Quarter
Turn 6: Life from the Loam, opponent threw his cards at me.

What decks are abusing Loam the most right now?

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=4897&d=228302 This guy has been doing good on mtgo with a loam deck. I'd love to play it but I don't have lilliana. Maybe I can just try and sub something.
The deck looks so miserable and unfun to play against :getin:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

AgentSythe posted:

Is UR storm still real or did it only do well because Jon Finkel was playing it?
I proxied up his list and it feels pretty consistent. I never realized how good desperate ravings is. I also like his choice of Ascension over Epic Experiment, EE just doesn't get there enough without seething song. A friend has my serum visions, if I can get those form him I plan to take the deck to Monday night magic today.

In other news, what do you guys think of young pyromancer? Is it enough to make UR delver work?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Well, 0-4, storm is bad. It was gold fishing decently, but at the tourney I just got awful draws the entire time. It's definitely not consistent enough.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Durette posted:

Sooooo about those Planeswalker changes for M14 onward... anybody want to take a stab at an all Jace, all the time deck?

Seriously, you could stack 12 Jaces in there and just chain the poo poo out of him.
And this would accomplish what? A 4 mana brainstorm is not that good.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Though probably $40 more than a couple of weeks ago now Mox Opal has gone up.
Do you think this is stable, or is it just hype over the new legend rule? I have a foil Russian one I'd like to offload for a bunch.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 1, 2013

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I was wondering if anybody here pilots a Storm list similar to the one Jon Finkel piloted at GP Portland, and if so, if they could give me any pointers on how to pilot a deck like it. I'm looking to make a similar deck, and it would be really helpful to get some pointers.
Don't.
Its horribly inconsistent and you will not win without a ton of luck. Its also incredibly easy to hate.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

flash back/copy Grapeshot anyway.
Just want to clarify that copying grapeshot does basically nothing. Storm only triggers when cast and PA or IV copies are not cast but placed directly on the stack. Copying a grapeshot only adds 1 damage.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The best way to get that many creatures out in modern is probably emtpy the warrens, but at that point just cast grapeshot instead. Unless this is some sort of challenge, I don't understand why you wouldn't just attack with those creatures instead of playing with some horrible alt wincon.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ScarletBrother posted:

I don't think BTS does enough. Splinter Twin can still kill you with Pestermite and there aren't a lot of planeswalkers besides LotV played in modern.
Pestermite's ability is not activated, but the ability of kiki-jiki or splinter twin is.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ScarletBrother posted:

My point was that they only need 10 Pestermites to kill you.
You are presumably running BTS in an aggro deck. Its not too hard to put them in a position where they cannot combo off. It also really wrecks Pod decks hard.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why aren't you running assault strobe?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

JerryLee posted:

No, Pauper goes by lowest printed rarity. For example, if anything actually got bumped down to common for the first time in MMA (I don't know if anything actually did) it would be newly legal for Pauper, and you could use the old printings as well.
Quite a few cards were bumped down to common in Modern Masters.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Entropic posted:

That UWR control deck wins surprisingly often with burn. It's Modern, people are fetching shocklands and poo poo, it's a deck that goes long and builds up cards in its hand. You very often end up closing out a game with a play like "Bolt you, Helix you, snapcaster-bolt you".
Yup, this is almost exactly the reason I switched to RB burn instead of RBW burn. The MU against UWR is actually a race except that their cards are all better than yours.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I've wondered why people don't play anathemancer. Lava axe for three, or better, with the chance of another go later. I guess no one is playing his colours, and the potential downside against decks with non-greedy manabases. Obviously he wouldn't go in an LD deck either, but still.
It really only fits in a burn deck, the body is too small to be relevant anywhere else. A burn deck is trying to win by turn 3 or 4 which makes it a flames of the blood hand.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'd be wary of trying the deck without fetches, proxy it up and try.
You only run 16 lands, so it's critical that every land be able to tap for blue on turn 1. 1 land hands are very keep able.
Trying to get a fetchless mana base that can do that and still find enough red will not be easy.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

8th-snype posted:

I wouldn't call burn "not competitive". I'm new to legacy but when I play burn online I don't get constantly curbstomped. Do not underestimate the value of drawing out all their counters and then Fireblasting for lethal on turn 5 or 6.

EDIT: Turn zero leyline can suck my dick though.
The problem with burn is that its "good matchups" are like 55/45 and its bad matchups are 10/90. You just can't reasonably beat countertop and many of the combo decks, and deathrite decks also give you major headaches.

A legacy thread would be nice, I'd be interested in doing some cockatrice stuff with goons, but this thread doesn't exactly move that fast. Is there a good reason we should't just make this into a single eternal format thread for legacy, modern and vintage?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Oh man, that Game 2 between Gerry T on Hypergenesis and Andrew Tompkins in Elves. It was so beautiful, that's why combo is the most hilarious thing in Legacy.
I thought hyper genesis was banned? Did that change recently.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The format definitely has an interesting rock, paper, scissors, meta game going. You get a tourney like that where combo just explodes, then everyone starts preparing for it and its nothing but control, then everyone prepares for that and its all anti control stuff.
Basically any archetype is viable if the meta game is right, and the meta game is always shifting based on which archetype is doing good. Legacy has a great way of equalizing itself.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mulletstation posted:

In combo any sort of deck thinning is useful (even effects that will give <1% thinning). This includes fetches, so I think it's appropriate to use those mechanics to eek out slightly better draw chances.
You are totally right, that is why every combo deck runs street wraith, oh wait, no they don't.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mulletstation posted:

Yes, 'useful' really means 'this is an umbrella statement for every combo deck', you got me I could never sneak one past you.

:rolleyes:
But you never add these cards because they thin, you add them because they fix your mana (fetches), add storm (git probe and manamorphose), lavamancer fuel in mono red (fetches) the thinning is just a side effect. If thinning were important you would run street wraith. Thinning is a side effect tacked onto cards you are playing for other reasons, playing a card for the sole purpose of thinning is stupid.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mulletstation posted:

That instant would probably get played in everything, since it meant it'd be a 56 card deck.
A 56 card deck that mulligans poorly. An unkown card is significantly worse than a known card.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's pretty nutty when traditionally mono red burn is splashing 2 colors for a single card.
DRS is no doubt a powerhouse in modern, but I do feel like the greedy manabases are what need to be punished.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I feel like modern would highly benefit from a way to add new cards to the pool without going through standard first, like the Commander series for legacy.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Werewolf Stompy makes the Daily Deck feature for the second time this year after a 3-1 finish. :unsmith:
Aside from the sol lands what is really stopping this from taking off in modern?
It looks like the core of the deck still exists there. Do the sol lands make that much of a difference, and is it possibly they could be replaced with some kind of mox opal engine?

VVV Didn't realize chrome mox was banned.
I still wonder if you could replicate the concept with desperate rituals and what nots.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Splash red for lightning bolt and blood moon. Bolt is solid removal in this format and blood moon actually works pretty well when you have a bunch of basic islands.

• Locked thread