Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Rather than just listing the top 3 decks, it might be best to list the general archetypes as they exist now and discuss each in a post as the thread goes along. Descriptions would include core cards, how they play match ups, how they side vs. other archetypes and so on. Maybe even a price tag since some of them aren't cheap.

Jund
American control
Melira pod
Kiki jiki combo
Affinity
Infect
Delver
Rg tron
Mono red aggro
Etc.

You get the idea.

Seconding this. I rarely run into the top decks exactly because they are so expensive. But there are plenty of decks that rely on specific mechanics to look out for/or run.

Infect
Gifts (WURMCOILWURMCOILWURMCOIL)
Urzatron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Dickeye posted:

Now that Eggs (Best Deck Ever) is done, what's another relatively inexpensive combo deck in Modern? I need a new thing to build while sobbing over the shattered remains of Eggs.

Blood Artist + Blind Obedience + Sanguine Bond + Exquisite Blood

That's what I'm running and I freaking love it. Cost me about $60 irl and substantially less online.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Dickeye posted:

Please show me your decklist so that I can totally not steal it.

This is a bit old, I tried to update from memory but know I'm missing some things. I'll have to update once I get home (no MTG at work).

Current cost = $83.32 (you probably already have most of the Standard cards)

Deck: Picpoul Blanc

//Main
2 Bojuka Bog
4 Godless Shrine
2 Orzhov Guildgate
8 Plains
8 Swamp
3 Soul Warden
2 Blind Obedience
3 Blood Artist
2 Devour Flesh
2 Lingering Souls
2 Lone Missionary
2 Hideous End
2 Murder
2 Recumbent Bliss
2 Survival Cache
2 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Windborn Muse
3 Exquisite Blood
2 Mutilate
3 Sanguine Bond
2 Erase

//Sideboard
4 Holy Day
2 Elixer of Life
2 Gather the Townsfolk
1 Intangible Virtue
2 Mutilate
3 Immortal Servitude
1 Ranger of Eos

Display deck statistics

Couple points:

- You're rarely going to get the full Blood/Bond combo to go off. Best to pick one and run with it depending on what's in your hand.

- Save your life-gaining spells/creatures until near the end. After Sanguine Bond is out, THEN push your Recumbent Bliss, Lone Missionary, Mutilate tokens, etc.

- Bojuka Bog = the forgotten graveyard hate. This card makes second main phase the happiest time of the turn.

- Soul Warden on turn one is a must. Save Windborne Muse for hands that over-reach on mana.

- This will lose to Infect 100% of the time, also has some issues with Urza if it drags out long enough.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Did a spoiler list get released for Modern Masters, or any more hints as to what cards will be in it?

I've been out of the game for a long time so help me out- if you have both Exquisite Blood and Sanguine Bond out, any life gain by you or life loss by your opponent kills them?

You are correct, sir. Best way to trigger that is via Blood Artist blocking (lol) or casting anything and paying the Extort cost.

BUT it is very rare that you will get both out there. The deck allows you to go one way or the other depending on what you draw. Most of the mechanics in the deck allow for either.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Algid posted:

Anyone have any advice for playing modern burn? Splash black or white or both? Sideboard options, general lines of play against most decks, and advice about the mtgo metagame would all be helpful.

If you're going to run Vexing Devil and splash, run it with something like Orzhov Charm or Unburial Rites to keep it going.

I'd get rid of Bump In The Night for Searing Spear; Bump can't target creatures.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Algid posted:

You realize that this is the modern thread right? Even if your advice was applicable, there are better card choices available like postmortem lunge or incinerate.

Why would you run Postmortem Lunge with Vexing Devil? It totally negates the point of returning it from the graveyard.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Algid posted:

It goes in for 4 either way since it has haste. I don't care about it sticking around, I just want to do damage since that's what a burn deck wants.

Not necessarily. All I have to do is block and it's exiled at the top of the next turn. I'd rather give them fewer options to deal with it.

I hear ya. He's got a lot of Modern cards in there, so I was running on the assumption that he would have those available.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Sooooo about those Planeswalker changes for M14 onward... anybody want to take a stab at an all Jace, all the time deck?

Seriously, you could stack 12 Jaces in there and just chain the poo poo out of him.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Wadjamaloo posted:

And this would accomplish what? A 4 mana brainstorm is not that good.

Some faster ways to mill esper control a victory?

Pump Jace Beleren to 10 (6 cards espered), esper control 20 cards in main, cast Memory Adept for another 10... that's 36 cards epsered within 5 turns? Plus another 15 drawn naturally would be 41 cards out of the library by that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

No offense, you had it correct the first time by calling it mill. Esper is merely a specific color combination: UBW.

Don't say that too loudly! They might hear you in standard! :ssh:

Molybdenum posted:

If you want to build a modern mill deck it doesn't really need to be Jaces. You could easily run glimpse the unthinkable, mind sculpt and snapcaster to do the same thing. Also, you can't mill emrakul so going against those kinds of decks means you lose unless you're packing a leyline of the void. :(

It's more about thinking through the new rules than any desire to run a deck like that. That you could pull off a 30 card mill in one turn is just begging to be exploited. Of course, getting there is a different story.

• Locked thread