Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

So is this the place for discussion on new Modern brews or is that still for the brewhaus?

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I'd be fine discussing brews here. I love Modern!

Right now I have Infect and Melira-Pod built with the plan of transitioning into Kiki-Pod once I get Groves, Thickets, and Resto Angels.

Really like Pod, it was my favorite card when it was legal in Standard. I don't have a deck built on MODO, but might look at slowly getting one. How expensive are fetches online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Melira Pod Primer

That Living End deck looks sweet. Might be the next deck I build.

Edit: Looking at the mana base for that LE deck, it would benefit greatly from shocks and fetches.

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 22, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
If fetches get banned in modern, I will pretty surely be quitting magic. I've got too much invested in them at the moment to take that kind of hit. I think a lot of players are in the same boat and that's why I don't think they'll get banned. I would like a reprint though.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
UG Infect is very solid against Tron, but folds pretty hard to RWU.

I think either of the Pod (Melira or Kiki-Jiki) decks might be well positioned in this meta.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Mona Lisa Overdrive posted:

I wondering what your thoughts are on RUG Scapeshift in the current meta? It is exactly the kind of deck I like to play and I know it did well a few months ago because it has a strong game against Jund. Does it hold up against U/W/r Geist and U Tron?

I don't know what turn they can usually 'go off' but this list looks promising and might do well in those matchups. It did better than them in the daily that deck is from anyway.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I'll be putting a Sin Collector in my Melira Pod sideboard.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Kaebora posted:

I was digging around my place for something unrelated the other night and came across a favorite deck of mine from Lorwyn - Time Spiral standard. I rebuilt it on MTGO and want to update it for Modern, but I'm slightly intimidated by the size of the Modern cardpool.

I think you definitely want Restoration Angel in this list. It's like Momentary Blink that can beat down. Also think about getting some U, B and W fetches as well as Celestial Collonade, Creeping Tar Pit and Shocks in your colors to smooth out mana. You definitely want counterspells in some combination of Remand, Mana Leak, and/or Cryptic Command or you are just dead to combo decks that win on turn 4. IDK what your budget is, so some of those cards may be out of reach. That's my take on it, some other people may have more to offer.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
^^He means Watery Grave, not Underground River. Those are great suggestions, esp. Mimic Vat and Wall of Omens.

e;fb

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

Some players at my fnm were complaining about how quick wotc has been to ban cards in modern and that modern is just "big standard" rather than all star decks duking it out. "I want to see cawblade vs. full power faeries vs. affinity" etc. Etc.

So let's pretend there isn't a modern ban list.

What do you build?

I'm thinking affinity with the addition of stoneforge mystic to fetch cranial, jitte or clamp, that should be good enough to win.

This is an interesting mental exercise, but I suspect any deck running JtMS and Mental Misstep will hose Affinity. I could be wrong though. I never played in the world of JtMS or fully powered Affinity so I really have no idea. The inclusion of Blazing Shoal would also make Infect a t2 kill (exile Progenitus) so who knows.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Incorrect. Fully-powered Affinity was perfectly capable of winning on turn 3 with Disciple and Shrapnel Blast, skipping the combat step. Mental Misstep just makes Affinity stronger.

Also, Skullclamp.

I guess this is the reason that the artifact lands and Skullclamp were preemptively banned. :)

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Mono black infect is pretty good and the only expensive card is one Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. Look on TCG player for some sample lists.

Your list looks okay, but you have no real way to interact with combo decks. It might help if you told us what kind of decks your friends play.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I think the thread can be whatever we want it to be about relating to Modern.

What archtypes are people playing and having success with?

I'm running pretty well with Melira-Pod right now and I've almost got all the cards to audible into Kiki-Pod if I want to. MP is putting up better numbers atm though.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
FWIW some Melira-Pod lists run either a MD or SB Aven Mindcensor.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Jenx posted:

That actually sounds amazingly fun. I'd love to see a list too.

This looks like one.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Hungry posted:

I would suggest a bunch of playtesting to see what archetype said friend likes. It's what I did before I dropped any cash monies on the format.

Probably not the answer you were looking for?

Do this. Figuring out what he enjoys playing is very important before dropping $ on a deck. That being said, Melira Pod and Infect are pretty cheap to build and so is Robots.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
How viable is that Living End list? I'm looking to build another deck and it looks pretty cheap since I already have the fetches.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
https://mtgtop8.com has the best database of decks for Modern.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I don't think BTS does enough. Splinter Twin can still kill you with Pestermite and there aren't a lot of planeswalkers besides LotV played in modern.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
My point was that they only need 10 Pestermites to kill you.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

You are presumably running BTS in an aggro deck. Its not too hard to put them in a position where they cannot combo off. It also really wrecks Pod decks hard.

It would be a pain for a turn or two for Pod, but they pack plenty of answers like Dismember and Abrupt Decay. Also, Pod doesn't usually need to combo off post board.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

How legit would Arcanum Wings enchantment fuckery deck in modern be? You could get a Eldrazi Conscription on an Invisible Stalker by Turn 3, this is coming from someone who has no idea what the modern metagame looks like.

Seems like you would be doing that on turn 4: Stalker t2, Wings t3, Aura Swap t4.

It's a 3 card combo with no way to tutor for your pieces. Doesn't seem good to me, but ymmv depending on budget.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

Has anyone tried making a modern deck that capitalizes off Kiln Fiend style abilities?

It's like you're playing an Infect style deck except you're attacking against 20 instead of 10. Are you playing this for budget reasons? I notice you don't have any fetches to fix your mana.

Edit: Those that play Melira Pod: what is your sideboard plan against Tron? Thoughtseize?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

I'm not a Gifts player, but when playing Gifts, you can grab just 2 cards, "fail" to find 2 other cards, and your opponent has to dump those in the graveyard. So for instance, if you were playing an aggro match, you could Gifts for just an Elesh Norn and a Wurmcoil Engine, and your opponent has to choose those 2 to bin. Next turn, you could Rites one of them. You probably already knew this, but it's nice to know anyway.

Alternatively, you can Gifts for Elesh Norn or Iona and Unburial Rites...

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Shavnir posted:

So I submitted my list for the gp this weekend. What do you guys think of it?

http://pastebin.com/GJadu9yr

Why no Vendillion Clique?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Shavnir posted:

Couldn't find sideboard room for it.

I cut the basic mountain because I'm way more worried about being white or blue screwed than red screwed, also because of blood moon.

I like your list, but it seems like you're weak to tec edge and ghost quarter since your only wincon is Colonnade. What's your plan if those get blown up?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Shavnir posted:

Snapcaster beat down.

Seriously though what deck other than mine or the uw variant runs etc edge and ghost quarter ended masse?

I really don't know, there is Living End which runs Fulminator Mage, some versions of Pod run Avalanche Riders, etc. All the other versions that I see online run some amount of Geist, Clique, and Resto Angel as other wincons.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Shavnir posted:

Oh God so much pod.

Finished day one x 3 and out :(

Pod is really good right now. What else did you play against?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Is anyone doing anything to break Plow Under even more? I can't think of anything more backbreaking than the old Plow - E-Witness - Plow line, and I really wanna do that again. Is Jund and gobbos just too fast?

Five CMC is a lot in Modern and there are lots of shuffle effects.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Anyone have any ideas for a deck that is solid vs Jund, still 50% vs the field and doesn't play out of the graveyard?

The only thing I can think of is Affinity.

Ari Lax's Kiki-Pod seems like an okay choice.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Doesn't Living End lose to Scavenging Ooze?

Not if you are hardcasting your stuff.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Except Melira-Pod...G/R Tron is a terrrrrrrible matchup for Melira-Pod.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Grashnak posted:

Does anyone have some tips on the Melira Pod vs UWR Control matchup? I've played it a few times but I still don't feel like I know what I should be boarding in or out for it. Every time it just feels like I'm just throwing everything I have at them in the hope that they'll run out of answers before I run out of creatures.

Dismember for Celestial Colonnade is a must. You'll want to bring in your Thoughtseizes too. A second Scavenging Ooze from the board is good, as is going up to the full 4 Voices if you don't have them main already. Harmonic Sliver is good, so is Pridemage. Abrupt Decay isn't great since it doesn't hit much.

Post your list and I'll try to give some more specific advice! Glad to see another Pod player on here. :)

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

scribe jones posted:

They have banned plenty of "fair" cards in the past and will do so in the future. Pod will keep getting better as long as they keep printing creatures. I wouldn't bet money on it, but a pod ban wouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention.

I sure hope Birthing Pod doesn't get banned in Modern. It's my favorite card ever. Sure creatures get better all the time, but it doesn't necessarily make the deck faster, which I think is the main concern for getting hit with the ban hammer.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What do people think of Sam Black's Modern Elves list?

Creatures (32)

4 Arbor Elf
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Heritage Druid
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Nettle Sentinel
2 Regal Force
1 Scavenging Ooze

Lands (17)

3 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Pendelhaven

Spells (11)

3 Summoner's Pact
4 Beck
4 Lead the Stampede

Sideboard

3 Elvish Archdruid
3 Scavenging Ooze
3 Nature's Claim
2 Creeping Corrosion
4 Thoughtseize

I ask because it would only set me back about $60 to complete since I have all the lands, Scooze, DRS, and Thoughtseize. From watching the videos it seems fun and explosive, but it's hard to get a read on how consistent it is versus a diverse meta. Thoughts?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

Do you have links to any videos or commentary on that Elves deck? I'd like to see it a few times before I fire up cockatrice, but it looks pretty sweet.

It's on scg premium today. http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26921_Video-Elves-In-Modern.html

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 14, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Zoness would you mind posting your modern elves list?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

It's been on "to-tune" for a while: Elves

Sam Black's list uses B/G instead to splash Thoughtseize (which seems p solid) and my sideboard is a mess. I liked 2x Primal Command but with DRS in the format it's not really possible any more so v:shobon:v. Also he cuts all the curios for Lead the Stampede, which leads to better drought condition hands but gives you fewer ways to go off. Archdruid + Scryb Ranger is another interesting way to go with this deck.

That link gives a 404 error. I just bought everything for Black's list (had most of it already). Is there anything else you'd recommend picking up for flex slots and/or sideboard?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Banning DRS would hurt a lot more decks than Jund. Pod, elves (I haven't even gotten it built yet!), etc all run him.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Zoness posted:

The real question is - do people actually like playing Jund? What about Pod or Twin?

(Personally I like robots and green men).

I've never played Jund, but I enjoy the hell out of Pod (Melira) because it gives you plenty of opportunity to outplay your opponent and you get to have silver bullets. Before this elves list popped up on my radar, Twin was the next deck I was going to build. I just really like modern. I wish it were more accessible though because it's not super popular in my area. I think fetches need to be reprinted in some fashion before that will happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
LSV posted a series of videos on ANT Storm yesterday. They are very entertaining.

• Locked thread