Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

It kind of is. Not like the genre, but that is what being a punk is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Whether or not it's "punk," it's almost certainly the best thing Death Grips has ever done.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Thoogsby posted:

No it's really really not.

Imagine that you paid a band for entertainment and they never fulfilled it, trash-talking you all the while and being unclear and obtuse about what you were actually getting out of that agreement.

Because that is exactly what happened between DG and their record label. Also their fans too I guess, but the label had the sense to at least not smash all their poo poo.

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

Imagine that you paid a band for entertainment and they never fulfilled it, trash-talking you all the while and being unclear and obtuse about what you were actually getting out of that agreement.

Because that is exactly what happened between DG and their record label. Also their fans too I guess, but the label had the sense to at least not smash all their poo poo.

It's pretty low to gently caress your fans over

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Long John Silvers posted:

It's pretty low to gently caress your fans over

Yeah and it's low to gently caress over the people you're working for, too. I'm not saying that record labels are great but Death Grips signed a contract with them and then wound up not even giving them their album so they basically straight-up lied, exactly what they did to their fans.

It's not like Death Grips "did the right thing" not showing up or whatever, it's still a total dick move, but there's basically no way to logically defend the actions against their record label and then say that they're huge jerks for doing this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

You guys need to pay more attention to death grips as a whole and as a platform for the artists involved.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Kilometers Davis posted:

You guys need to pay more attention to death grips as a whole and as a platform for the artists involved.

I wouldn't waste my time on people who pull poo poo like that. People paid money to see them play a live set. Unbeknownst to them or even management at various levels, the band never intended to show up to any of those shows, even though they themselves had stated they would be. There's nothing cool, artistic, or "punk" about that. It's being assholes.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
It's pretty entertaining because I wasn't there. Their performances I've seen on YouTube have been petty simple play-over-the-album-backing-track stuff, and with their recent stunt I'd listen to whatever they put out but not bother with the chance of a live show.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Bobcats posted:

It's pretty entertaining because I wasn't there.

This is pretty much how I feel. That said, what they did was loving stupid in my opinion. I love their songs, I thought The Money Store was great, but poo poo like this isn't cool. If it was meant as some sort of artistic statement, I'd say it's both pretentious and uncool.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah but so what? Just because something is pretentious doesn't mean its any less of a statement or "art". I'm not trying to really support this too much, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah and it's low to gently caress over the people you're working for, too. I'm not saying that record labels are great but Death Grips signed a contract with them and then wound up not even giving them their album so they basically straight-up lied, exactly what they did to their fans.

It's not like Death Grips "did the right thing" not showing up or whatever, it's still a total dick move, but there's basically no way to logically defend the actions against their record label and then say that they're huge jerks for doing this.

companies r bad

TRAMAMPOLINE
Dec 15, 2012

If I spent money and time and traveled to the show I would be disappointed, but I have respect for the statement they are making. To me there seems to commonly be a disconnect between what people going to concerts are in it for, and what musicians playing concerts are trying to do. There are commonly expectations on the audience's part and they feel entitled to having their expectations met, even though they vary from person to person. It's not good for the concert experience when the atmosphere has that kind of a demanding vibe, and the musicians have to struggle between the delicate practice of creating interesting sound and trying to entertain the strange hordes. By not showing up they bang on this mechanism, throwing the audience's expectations into extreme disappointment. I'm not aware of this having been done before. I see that it's not an empty gesture, and I think others sense that there is something worth communicating in the stunt. Correlating it with a suicide note is interesting, because the problem of suicide and the problem of expectant concert goers both hinge on the virtue of being observant and considerate of others, a worthy thing to promote.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

WASDF posted:

Yeah but so what? Just because something is pretentious doesn't mean its any less of a statement or "art". I'm not trying to really support this too much, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I don't think it makes it any less of a statement either. They pulled off what I guess you could call a daring stunt of sorts, but just because what they did was kind of interesting, I don't think it validates it. At the end of the day, they didn't show up for a gig, and were planning to do the same thing for other dates on the tour by the sound of it. Whether they intended it as a statement, or dressed it up as a statement, at it's core it's still a lovely thing to do.

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
I paid to see them in NYC, they cancelled and Ticketmaster refunded my purchase. Death Grips did not gently caress me over. On the other hand, Ticketmaster fucks me over by charging unnecessary convenience fees and surcharges everytime I buy something using their glitchy, buggy, sketchy scalper-enabling ticketing service. Also, that Noisy article is dumb for proclaiming Death Grips as a "punk" act.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

nomapple posted:

I don't think it makes it any less of a statement either. They pulled off what I guess you could call a daring stunt of sorts, but just because what they did was kind of interesting, I don't think it validates it. At the end of the day, they didn't show up for a gig, and were planning to do the same thing for other dates on the tour by the sound of it. Whether they intended it as a statement, or dressed it up as a statement, at it's core it's still a lovely thing to do.

Yeah, its 100% lovely for sure.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I have soft spot for rampant narcissism, especially in a case like this where a band so adamantly works hard against peoples' expectations only to lessen their popularity. It's a psychotic thing to do and it fits Death Grips. This is the same group with lyrics like this:

quote:

You live in hiding
You're climbing the walls no privacy
I'm trying to survive but I'm dying die with me
Blow out the lights take your life
Ride the falling sky with me
Falling inside of me
Its all suicide to me
World of dogs

Heliotropic
Mar 16, 2005

earthbound
Good band. Let's start with the lyrics. Man, the lyrics. The Lyrics are like a (very) graphic novel. A "comic book" graphic novel though not a graphic real book novel. No vivid pictures in those. Listening to MC Ride's frantic delivery of the graphic novel lyrics over the paranoid beats I can see visions unfold before my eyes--a lot like looking at the pictures in a gritty graphic novel. Sometimes I can't distinguish between myself and the main character in the song and I get too excited and have to stop listening--definitely music that "amps" you up if you're anything like me.

Listener beware: illustrated tales of insanity, mania, violence, blood, narcissism, sex, suicide, and disorientation (like when I eat gluten, which Dr. Klufas says I can't do but I do do anyway sometimes) abound. Highly recommended though, I like them a lot more than Yeezus.

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines

Heliotropic posted:

Highly recommended though, I like them a lot more than Yeezus.

Isn't Yeezus a huge rip-off of Death Grips anyway?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rolodex Propaganda posted:

Isn't Yeezus a huge rip-off of Death Grips anyway?

How so? Outside of being vaguely "weird and angry", Yeezus sounds almost nothing like DG.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thanks, Spotify

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Yeah we all know the true heirs of Death Grips is the genius of Rifle Burs.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
New song out. Sounds like DG is going in a radically different direction for the new album.

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

New song out. Sounds like DG is going in a radically different direction for the new album.

Apparently this is a reference to a Charles Bukowski poem

Charlie B posted:

there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too tough for him,
I say, stay in there, I'm not going
to let anybody see
you.
wants to get out
but I pour whiskey on him and inhale
cigarette smoke
and the whores and the bartenders
and the grocery clerks
never know that
he's
in there.

wants to get out
but I'm too tough for him,
I say,
stay down, do you want to mess
me up?
you want to screw up the
works?
you want to blow my book sales in
Europe?
wants to get out
but I'm too clever, I only let him out
at night sometimes
when everybody's asleep.
I say, I know that you're there,
so don't be
sad.
then I put him back,
but he's singing a little
in there, I haven't quite let him
die
and we sleep together like
that
with our
secret pact
and it's nice enough to
make a man
weep, but I don't
weep, do
you?

That said, this track is weak as hell and I can't wait for it to get a BNT from Pitchfork

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

Oh poo poo, this might be another ARG.

This showed up on the thread in /mu/: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1dIzO2wsvpd

Long John Silvers fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 22, 2013

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Long John Silvers posted:

That said, this track is weak as hell and I can't wait for it to get a BNT from Pitchfork

Yeah I've listened a few times and I just can't get into it.

Would be interesting if it was another ARG, though. Just hope the next album isn't as tame and boring.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I dunno, I really like the song.

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1slMsD479LU

from /mu/

Long John Silvers fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 22, 2013

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its good to see the band finally slide all the way into 4chan psuedoironic post-avant jazzcore vapourwave garbage

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Kind of finding myself ambivalent on this song. There's parts of it I really like, but the verses sound really awkward and clumsy.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I prefer the idea of the song bashing people on Twitter, what with Twitter being a bluebird, but who knows really. On first listen I didn't know what I was hearing, but I'm liking it the more I listen to it as I break down my preconceived notions of what I expect a Death Grips song to be and just enjoy it.

As for the notion of an ARG, there already was a pretty big hoax a few months back, so I'd be hesitant about this possible new ARG.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I'm fortunate enough to not know what /mu/ is, anyone wanna fill me in on that voicemail?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Its oddly catchy despite the sort of lame lyrics. It must be the mosquito synths.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Thoogsby posted:

I'm fortunate enough to not know what /mu/ is, anyone wanna fill me in on that voicemail?

The music board of 4chan. The original DG ARG was done through /mu/. As a board, it isn't that bad, and the share threads are a great source of new music. Better than reddit honestly.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah the lyrics aren't the greatest. Still love the vibe of the song. It's clearly MC Ride's response to Kendrick's Control verse. :v:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This song is more dynamic than their usual stuff, kind of wanders through four different sounds. Definitely ready for more!

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
Man, I will be so upset if they don't show up to FYF.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

echronorian posted:

This song is more dynamic than their usual stuff, kind of wanders through four different sounds. Definitely ready for more!

I was pretty drat blown away by it the first few times I heard it. It's right after the beginning in the song when those... kinda rotating synths kick in.

I really love the song now, just yeah, not a fan of the lyrics even if they're inspired by a poem. Just not a lyrics person, in general.

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?

Demonicpoodle posted:

I was pretty drat blown away by it the first few times I heard it. It's right after the beginning in the song when those... kinda rotating synths kick in.

I got a sort of Boards of Canada vibe from it. Seems to me like they're going for a more distorted and low level quality sort of approach with this song.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
The weird guitar sounds remind me of a kind of after school sitcom thing? They keep reminding me of some non-existent TV show I watched as a kid. The song has really grown on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Song is weird and even though I'm not crazy about it I still like what they're doing. I can't really dislike Death Grips + Bukowski too much, they're two of my favorite things.

• Locked thread