Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'm starting to get into these guys, I tried getting into them in the past, but it took listening to Exmilitary to really get what I am listening to. I actually fell in love with the first track of that mixtape immediately, it is really good. It is the sort of thing I would put on if I wanted to listen to some drone.

These guys are like watching a cat throw up and then proceed to eat its own vomit again. Take from that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

NwahNerevar posted:

I've been on a Death Grips binge for about a month or so now, but I can't get into No Love/Deep Web aside from Hunger Games and Come Up and Get Me. It's like Ex-Military but without the interesting samples. Pleh.

I've been listening since around the time Ex-Military came out and I don't really like that album either apart Come Up. I thought I was the only one! It's like their work is becoming less aggressive and angry sounding over time which may or may not be a good thing depending on who you ask.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Oddly enough, The Money Store gets praised a lot and it's by far my least favorite Death Grips album. The second half feels kind of weak to me and I think it's watered down compared to how aggressive and manic Exmilitary and NLDW are. Exmilitary is still my favorite release from them; it's abrasive but fun to listen to, and my go-to album to listen to when I'm feeling groggy in the morning.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

luncheon meat posted:

I've been listening since around the time Ex-Military came out and I don't really like that album either apart Come Up. I thought I was the only one! It's like their work is becoming less aggressive and angry sounding over time which may or may not be a good thing depending on who you ask.

Yeah I get what you mean. Also there's no MC Ride being amazing and quoteable, aside from "I GOT THE NASTY IN MY TAXI! YOU NEED A LIFT? YOU CAN SIT BETWEEN THE BACK SEAT AND MY DICK!"

I've also tried to get a mate into Death Grips, which hasn't gone amazingly well. I knew he'd like I've Seen Footage and Hacker, but he listened to Guillotine instead...

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I think the line I quote the most from Exmilitary is "I LIGHT MY TORCH WITH IT AND GET ALL hosed UUUUUUUP" because it just sounds hilarious (and then there's a Beastie Boys sample)

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
"GO GO GOIN BACK TO TANGIER WITH SOME JORDANS AND A SPEAR," always makes me smile.

I think of MC Ride walking through Naked Lunch, leading the Liberian Tupac Army through the interzone, gangsta as gently caress.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

God Of Paradise posted:

"GO GO GOIN BACK TO TANGIER WITH SOME JORDANS AND A SPEAR," always makes me smile.

I think of MC Ride walking through Naked Lunch, leading the Liberian Tupac Army through the interzone, gangsta as gently caress.

drat that's a fantastic mental image

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011

Zach Hill living the high life.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Every time I hear Full Moon I want to destroy stuff. Every Death Grips song makes me want to destroy stuff, but that one especially.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I just love how angry Death Grips is.

When I first listened to Exmilitary and heard that Charles Manson quote on Beware then heard:

"I close my eyes and seize it
I clench my fists and beat it
I light my torch and burn it
I am the beast I worship...:

I knew this was something I would really enjoy.

This is also pretty great. These two nice people like using karaoke to make music covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-VHxf1hKo

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Death Grips is quickly becoming one of my favorite groups right now. If there were some way we could get MC Ride and Dixie Dave from Weedeater in the same project, the world would loving explode. This needs to happen.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Pitchfork put up a little report that Zach Hill is making a movie and recording a new Death Grips album. Interested in hearing some new material from them, mainly because I'm pretty sure the sound on NLDW was what they had envisioned from the get-go.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I am more interested in what the movie would be actually...

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Another Person posted:

I am more interested in what the movie would be actually...

Yeah, I wanna see footage.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
I hadn't heard of Death Grips til a few weeks ago when I was on a bog standard youtube crawl, I just happened to be in the Black Metal / Crust Punk / Grindcore end of youtube, and was amazed that some "rap" was coming up in the related videos. long story short I listened to The Money Store (still got Get Got in my head) and decided this is more to rap what death metal is to regular metal. It's, dark, it's heavy, and it doesn't give a gently caress. Speaking as a closed-minded metalhead, if all rap was like this, and I wasn't so ignorant about what the rest of the genre sounds like, I would be totally into this all this poo poo, not just Death Grips. There anything similar to this I can get a reccomendation for?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

RYYSZLA posted:

I hadn't heard of Death Grips til a few weeks ago when I was on a bog standard youtube crawl, I just happened to be in the Black Metal / Crust Punk / Grindcore end of youtube, and was amazed that some "rap" was coming up in the related videos. long story short I listened to The Money Store (still got Get Got in my head) and decided this is more to rap what death metal is to regular metal. It's, dark, it's heavy, and it doesn't give a gently caress. Speaking as a closed-minded metalhead, if all rap was like this, and I wasn't so ignorant about what the rest of the genre sounds like, I would be totally into this all this poo poo, not just Death Grips. There anything similar to this I can get a reccomendation for?

You could try listening to some Gucci Mane

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RYYSZLA posted:

Best comparison would be something like Dalek but nothing really sounds like Death Grips honestly. Techno Animal is another point of interest, and is actually Justin Broaderick from Godflesh and Jesu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXgM9T4mFbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czrpe-0mG0

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Killsion posted:

Best comparison would be something like Dalek but nothing really sounds like Death Grips honestly. Techno Animal is another point of interest, and is actually Justin Broaderick from Godflesh and Jesu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXgM9T4mFbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czrpe-0mG0

I actually quite like Jesu so I figure that's worth checking out, cheers.

Also, I.N.R.I - checked out gucci mane via youtube, I mean, it isn't bad but it's not quite got the same punky/metal "attitude" that make Death Grips different enough to have warranted checking out... although this tune "Thirsty" aint too shabby.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

RYYSZLA posted:

Face Vega has some really good stuff, especially Church. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zADXzCFwKo

This also came to mind. It's not as angry but it's pretty grim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ilFR4VM2c

JuulPodSaveAmerica fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 12, 2013

doritto
May 12, 2013

RYYSZLA posted:

Clipping is pretty good, he has a similar dark heavy feeling, but his music is much more lo-fi and noise based. I like it a lot, his free album is here: http://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/midcity

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

dsipal posted:

Clipping is pretty good, he has a similar dark heavy feeling, but his music is much more lo-fi and noise based. I like it a lot, his free album is here: http://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/midcity

Clipping is a three-piece but ya Clipping is really good. If you aren't at all into noise though, it may be rough on the ears.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

RYYSZLA posted:

theres like a decade of stuff by british guys that sounds vaguely similar but is better in every way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoZhtRhzwkw

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

RYYSZLA posted:

It's not hip hop per say, but you should listen to Atari Teenage Riot.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

RYYSZLA posted:

I get a sort of Hacker type Death Grips vibe from Tempa T if only for the fact that it sounds violent and lends itself to being quoted all the time. Also some people can't understand what the gently caress he's saying, somewhat like MC Ride.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I decided to listen to Death Grips when the Money Store came out and all of the descriptions were just "really aggressive rapping over harsh beats and," which is right up my alley. I also like Zach Hill's drumming in Hella.

If I were to explain them to my past self, I would say it's more like Special Ed from Crank Yankers is shouting at you while some over some obnoxious blasts of noise, which should really be a negative. But I love it and I'm pumped to see them next Sunday. I still need to listen to Ex-Military.

Does anyone know if Zach Hill is actually touring with them? I read something about him staying back to work on their film soundtrack but it was worded strangely.

EDIT: I have now listened to Exmilitary. It was not as good as the Money Store or No Love Deep Web, but it's decent.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 31, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does anyone know if Zach Hill is actually touring with them? I read something about him staying back to work on their film soundtrack but it was worded strangely.

Pretty sure he isn't, he hasn't been with them at live gigs for a while.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

http://www.zombietime.com/folsom_sf_2007_part_1/index.php

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

ive been getting too hype to deep web

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I like that you had that website to hand.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've just gotten into Death Grips recently. A couple of my friends have been into 'em for a while and told me I should check them out a while back, but I never did until now, and I'm not really sure why. But yeah, this is like the best possible music to annoy your neighbors with. It's not something I can listen to all the time, but when I'm in the mood for it, man, it's real loving good. I have yet to drive to this with the windows down, but I have a feeling that would be a hilariously entertaining experience.

Though most of the time, I can't even tell Zach Hill is in this crew. Does he go crazy on the kit live? When he's actually touring with them, that is. The drums rule in Death Grips, but they very rarely sound like Zach Hill drums.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
This band is really not that "noisy" or "abrasive" and I don't think playing it in your car would get any reactions from passerby that are much different from what you'd get playing any other loud music.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

acephalousuniverse posted:

This band is really not that "noisy" or "abrasive" and I don't think playing it in your car would get any reactions from passerby that are much different from what you'd get playing any other loud music.

Maybe not for you, but Death Grips is literally the only artist I listen to that has what amounts to "schizophrenic screaming" as vocals, so I would categorize them as "noisy" and "abrasive" when combined with the music (at least on The Money Store). And I assume this is the case for more than just me.

doritto
May 12, 2013

EDIT: Whoops, completely forgot I had posted this already. Sorry.

doritto fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 4, 2013

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

dsipal posted:

If anyone here wants to listen to more hip hop with an abrasive edge, check out clipping. You can get their album free here (or give them a kind donation): http://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/midcity

EDIT: Turn volume down for first song, very low, if you don't like that song too much skip to bout.that

stop spamming this poo poo in my loving thread please

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
I once had to get a painful cyst lanced. I asked the doctor if he was cool w/ me playing my headphones loud while he lanced me, which he was cool with.
I played Death Grips (Lord of the Game) on blast and felt nothing.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Griff the Cave Ape posted:

It's a good suggestion though. That was a very rude post.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Griff the Cave Ape posted:

Lighten up, Francis.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

WASDF posted:

It's a good suggestion though. That was a very rude post.

Agreed. Fans of Death Grips have a good chance of enjoying Clipping. My only complaint with Clipping though is the vocals get pretty "swag" at times, which I dislike.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

there's a song, I think it might be the second song where he just does the whole

swag, swag, swag, swag, swag, swag,

but I think it may be commentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

nasboat posted:

Maybe not for you, but Death Grips is literally the only artist I listen to that has what amounts to "schizophrenic screaming" as vocals, so I would categorize them as "noisy" and "abrasive" when combined with the music (at least on The Money Store). And I assume this is the case for more than just me.

The music just sounds like beats with synth sounds that basically sound like electric guitars over it and a guy yelling. I like Death Grips but honestly I don't think Rageaholic Monkey's signature driving with the windows down is going to cause a riot in his neighborhood unless he lives in some place like in The Village where people never heard of rock music before.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Though most of the time, I can't even tell Zach Hill is in this crew. Does he go crazy on the kit live? When he's actually touring with them, that is. The drums rule in Death Grips, but they very rarely sound like Zach Hill drums.

This song has more manic drums that sound like Zach Hill a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFmZ6WDkuj0

But a lot of what makes this good and not "Zach Hill in a rap band" is that he lays back and does stuff that's appropriate for the style of music rather than just doing what he did in Hella.

• Locked thread