Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Thoogsby posted:

No it's really really not.

Imagine that you paid a band for entertainment and they never fulfilled it, trash-talking you all the while and being unclear and obtuse about what you were actually getting out of that agreement.

Because that is exactly what happened between DG and their record label. Also their fans too I guess, but the label had the sense to at least not smash all their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Long John Silvers posted:

It's pretty low to gently caress your fans over

Yeah and it's low to gently caress over the people you're working for, too. I'm not saying that record labels are great but Death Grips signed a contract with them and then wound up not even giving them their album so they basically straight-up lied, exactly what they did to their fans.

It's not like Death Grips "did the right thing" not showing up or whatever, it's still a total dick move, but there's basically no way to logically defend the actions against their record label and then say that they're huge jerks for doing this.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

hahahahaha Trez is such a childish rear end in a top hat

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

het posted:

No, I don't think that's what's happening here. I mean, I don't care particularly about Trent Reznor, but that seems like a pretty sensible reaction to seeing your opening band (that has a history of being flaky) break up just a few weeks before the tour.

The most sensible reaction would probably be "Best luck to Death Grips, sorry for the inconvenience to those of you who have bought tickets, we'll have a replacement soon." Band breakups can happen for a million different reasons, and sometimes they can't wait till a tour is over or whatever. We have no idea if "we hit our peak creatively" is the truth or just something they're saying because they don't want to broadcast private drama. Insulting a band for breaking up is kicking them while they're down.

Also, like Intel&Sebastian said, these are the guys who just plain didn't show up to a show once, and put their entire album on the internet for free without their label's permission. It should be pretty clear by now that DG doesn't really enjoy playing by the industry's "rules," for better or for worse.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

echronorian posted:

If they really just gave NIN and Sound garden the finger last summer then :lol:

I love you deathgrips

Anything that pisses off Trent Reznor is cool in my books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah skipping tours that people paid good money for with two weeks' notice is hilarious, as is not showing up to festivals you were booked for.

I like DG's music a lot, but if you think any of their stunts are actually funny or edgy you're a manchild.

I'm sorry for you and I know you're upset but we are talking about the band that signed to a record label before leaking their own album, and then gave a "concert" that consisted of a suicide note and a toy drumset.

It's like, have you ever heard that story about the scorpion and the frog?

• Locked thread