Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I decided to listen to Death Grips when the Money Store came out and all of the descriptions were just "really aggressive rapping over harsh beats and," which is right up my alley. I also like Zach Hill's drumming in Hella.

If I were to explain them to my past self, I would say it's more like Special Ed from Crank Yankers is shouting at you while some over some obnoxious blasts of noise, which should really be a negative. But I love it and I'm pumped to see them next Sunday. I still need to listen to Ex-Military.

Does anyone know if Zach Hill is actually touring with them? I read something about him staying back to work on their film soundtrack but it was worded strangely.

EDIT: I have now listened to Exmilitary. It was not as good as the Money Store or No Love Deep Web, but it's decent.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got back from their show in Cleveland. Super loud and abrasive. They had the weirdest mosh pit I've ever seen--people were really dancing into each other. I was sad to see that Zach Hill isn't touring with them, but Ride's stage presence is insane and more than makes up for it. They didn't even play for an hour (partially because there isn't a single word of stage banter. The music never stopped.), but it was really all I needed. Definitely investing in earplugs soon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Leaf Lock posted:

I saw them last year after NLDW came out and Ride was definitely more energetic at this show. They also didn't have those noise interludes because flatlander wasn't there. They played almost the entirety of The Money Store even Hacker.
I'm assuming you're talking about the show last year, because Flatlander was definitely there last night.

The drums are a backing track.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The drums aren't live but you'll be busy staring in awe/terror at MC Ride.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's the only show I've been to with a mosh pit full of people actually dancing into each other instead of shoving/running into each other.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's a mash-up of the vocals from "I Want It I Need It" over the music from "Hip to Be Square," set to footage from American Psycho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZ8xI9YykY

Whole album here: http://lovegrips.bandcamp.com/

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 7, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

echronorian posted:

Love the beat on black quarterback. But since when is a album with around sixteen tracks a double lp?

Depends on the length of the tracks. Quadrophenia has 17. However, considering this first half is about 31 minutes, it sounds pretty disingenuous to call it a double album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
On first listen, this is definitely better than Government Plates, although the first half is a lot better than the second. Especially Black Quarterback, which is spectacular.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

echronorian posted:

If they really just gave NIN and Sound garden the finger last summer then :lol:

I love you deathgrips

Yeah skipping tours that people paid good money for with two weeks' notice is hilarious, as is not showing up to festivals you were booked for.

I like DG's music a lot, but if you think any of their stunts are actually funny or edgy you're a manchild.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not upset about it, although I certainly would've preferred seeing DG to Oneohtrix Point Never (why on Earth would you pick an ambient artist to open a rock concert at an amphitheater?). If I had lived on the East Coast it actually would've been a better show because they got The Dillinger Escape Plan as an opener. I just think that they're tremendous douchebags, and providing more examples of them being douchebags doesn't really help whatever point you're trying to make.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Having actually seen them play a headlining show I can't say that's entirely true, although they did only play like a 50-minute set.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

disc posted:

Would have been nice to see Zach though

This is how I feel about when I saw them headline in 2013 and play for all of 50 minutes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I would like if Ride and Flatlander no-showed and it was secretly a Hella tour all along.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're not worth $60 and a four hour drive. They're fun, but it's not an experience that you'll cherish forever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

magiccarpet posted:

Buy Refused tickets instead

That poo poo sold out even faster

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This is not even subtle about being fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was in a record store that was blasting Bottomless Pit yesterday. Definitely the strangest music to idly browse to.

• Locked thread