Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Oddly enough, The Money Store gets praised a lot and it's by far my least favorite Death Grips album. The second half feels kind of weak to me and I think it's watered down compared to how aggressive and manic Exmilitary and NLDW are. Exmilitary is still my favorite release from them; it's abrasive but fun to listen to, and my go-to album to listen to when I'm feeling groggy in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rolodex Propaganda posted:

Isn't Yeezus a huge rip-off of Death Grips anyway?

How so? Outside of being vaguely "weird and angry", Yeezus sounds almost nothing like DG.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
New song out. Sounds like DG is going in a radically different direction for the new album.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Kind of finding myself ambivalent on this song. There's parts of it I really like, but the verses sound really awkward and clumsy.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Uniscott posted:

Does anybody have any recommended artists that are like Death Grips?

Have you tried Saul Williams' "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust"?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I feel like DG is probably the closest we've ever gotten to "cyberpunk" as a genre of music.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
On my second listen, and I'm kind of interested and underwhelmed at the same time. It feels a lot more fully-formed than Government Plates, but I don't really think it comes close to their best records. I think my big problem with this album is that it feels too samey, with barely any dynamics at all. Most of it just feels like the same aimless abstract glitchy Bjork-sampling beat being presented in slightly different ways, and I think it makes the album sound really monotonous and boring. I think it's cool they're experimenting more, but I hope the second disc has a bit more variety than this.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Didn't see this posted here, but DG just did a track with The Bug and it owns: https://soundcloud.com/ninja-tune/the-bug-gently caress-a-bitch-feat

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Overbite posted:

I wouldn't call this new album Death Grips "at their best." Maybe Death Grips "doing another Death Grips album."

There wasn't really anything new or unique about the last couple albums which is a shame because I got into them because they were doing something cool and different.

Yeah, I think DG peaked creatively after NLDW. Everything since that point has felt like retreads on the same idea, and I wish they had just tried something new instead of calling it quits entirely. I guess we're not getting that film soundtrack either :smith:

I feel like I would've been more bummed about this in 2012, but Clipping has kinda filled that void for me at this point. I hope Stefan Burnett continues to make music in some capacity.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Pirate Jet posted:

hahahahaha Trez is such a childish rear end in a top hat

Yeah, gently caress Trent for thinking Death Grips would remain an active band three weeks before the big tour. Didn't he know that Death Grips isn't a band, they're a conceptual art exhibition anchored by sound and vision?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Of loving course the best Death Grips release since 2012 has no loving vocals on it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Those snippets are really good. It sounds like the Exmilitary-meets-NLDW album I've been wanting for years.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Jenny Death is the album I've wanted DG to make for three years now. Holy poo poo.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just bought a ticket for Dallas :toot:

Hopefully they actually show up this time.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It did dude, all of them sat down in a booth near the entrance and kept a low profile and looked like they didn't want to be disturbed. It was the 3 of them and one other guy.

E: and the show was loving amazing. What a loving performance. Everyone went off.

Highlights:
Ride's dance moves
Zach drumming
Andy murder face lookin mad thug all night

The entire set list

I'm seeing them tonight in Dallas, usually how long does it take for them to start after doors open?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Back from the Dallas show, can confirm poo poo was hype as gently caress

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQm8qpexnjo

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

oh my god

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Bottomless Pit leaked. Don't know if I like it as much as Jenny Death yet but it's a solid album. Was surprised at how accessible a lot of it is; it feels like a slightly rawer version of Money Store.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think the issue is that it's not very cohesive and most of the tracks don't really progress anywhere. It's a solid album with some great tracks, but it just feels like an unambitious collection of random songs, more so than any of their other albums.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What is i16?

Interview 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Who is the person on the cover art and in the "music videos?"

It's Liz Liles (aka Mexican Girl from "Lord of the Game")

• Locked thread