Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

'Hacker' was one of the most hilariously quotable songs of 2012.

soon your crew will be serving sandwiches named after me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I think the line I quote the most from Exmilitary is "I LIGHT MY TORCH WITH IT AND GET ALL hosed UUUUUUUP" because it just sounds hilarious (and then there's a Beastie Boys sample)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

acephalousuniverse posted:

This band is really not that "noisy" or "abrasive" and I don't think playing it in your car would get any reactions from passerby that are much different from what you'd get playing any other loud music.

Maybe not for you, but Death Grips is literally the only artist I listen to that has what amounts to "schizophrenic screaming" as vocals, so I would categorize them as "noisy" and "abrasive" when combined with the music (at least on The Money Store). And I assume this is the case for more than just me.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

DG is playing here in August, anyone know if they've been using live drums for this tour?

They didn't at Bonnaroo. Last I read, Zach Hill was not touring and was instead working on a movie that is going to have a soundtrack that doubles as the next Death Grips album (??).

per the NYT:

New York Times posted:

MANCHESTER, Tenn. — Saturday at Bonnaroo started with the explosive and the recondite and opened out gradually, over about 12 hours, into open, cool-headed, mass sing-alongs. At 2:15 p.m. the hip-hop band Death Grips, from Sacramento, Calif., obscure and assaultive in word and sound, appeared on one of the smaller stages without its drummer, Zach Hill, which seemed at first like a problem: he’s a pure energy driver, a combustion expert. (He’s busy working on a film, for which the band will make the soundtrack music.) But the rapper Stefan Burnett and the keyboardist Andy Morin pulled it off impressively on their own and with samples. Mr. Burnett has the rampaging intensity of an early punk singer — he seems as if he’s inventing new ways to make music challenge and disobey — and the voice of a drill sergeant; he never let up, barking and chanting short, dark and dense lines, rocking back and forth from the waist. Performers at Bonnaroo are often flattering their audiences — it’s both a mainstream-pop festival and one that’s built on smaller, more obsessive passions — but he would flatter nobody.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

poo poo just saw the announcement that Zach Hill is going to be on this tour. Glad I got my ticket.

Q: What's the vibe like at a death grips show?

well, at Bonnaroo up close, it was like a mosh pit but with dancing and blunts.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

How close we're you? That poo poo was nuts.

Probably 5-deep from the front over on the right side (from the crowd's vantage point). Maybe two people between me and the rail on that side. I didn't say in there for the whole show, though, I was so hot and got bounced around so much I ended up catching the latter half from outside.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

TheQat posted:

Okay, I initially read "law officer" which I'm pretty sure is what the poster meant, but "law office" is loving hilarious and how do you pull up to one going 20 over

speed through the parking lot screaming I'M IN YOUR AREA

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The cover of Government Plates is fantastic.

I like what they did with the No Love Deep Web cover, but for practical purposes I did not enjoy having a big penis on my phone screen when listening to that album at work.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

nuts_rice posted:

Okay, but you have to admit their choice to have a erect penis as an cover is pretty artistic.

Oh certainly. That's kind of what I meant by liking what they did with it. I just found myself avoiding listening to it in situations where someone could see my phone when the album was playing. :)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

holy poo poo this sounds incredible

hughesta posted:

holy poo poo PSS PSS sounds incredible

yeah, what he said

nasboat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

This show showed me my age (31). I could hang for the first 40 minutes or so, then I had to hang back for about 20-30 before jumping back in.

I'm sure we've talked about this on twitter, but the moment I realized I was officially old was at the Bonnaroo 2013 show when I had to leave the crowd after about 5 songs, it was too intense.

then I watched them play 'Hacker' while sitting under a tree and it was both incredible and disappointing (the latter because I should've been in the goddamn crowd yelling every hilarious line in that song)

slowfreq posted:

shoutouts to living in bumfuck kentucky and being nowhere near any DG show

that's why I had to go to Bonnaroo

also they were in Louisville before they did Bonnaroo so technically you could've driven hours in-state to see them a couple years back (I'm gonna go ahead and assume 'bumfuck' means 'eastern Kentucky' in this instance). but then you wouldn't get any of the good poo poo they've done since then.

• Locked thread