Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Looks like Homeworld 3 will live, although in the hands of a studio that ranges from adequacy, to mediocrity, to the occasional monumental failure - which is roughly the outcomes we can reasonably expect from this.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1029/homeworld-acquisition-and-plans/ posted:

Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Wow this is pretty sad, I have zero confidence in Gearbox's ability to make a decent game, let alone a decent Homeworld game. I guess I can always go play HW2: Complex mod for my HW fix :\

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
I wonder who they'll outsource half the game out to this time?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I guess I'm cautiously hopeful? Brothers in Arms was pretty good but then they beat it to death and...I hear good things about Borderlands? I'm more interested in how a company primarily concerned with FPS titles will handle a RTS.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

On the bright side, there's nothing about Homeworld's actual gameplay that'd NEED the IP. There's nothing stopping someone from kickstartering a new game or something.

On the other hand, ugh. Gearbox is about the worst developer I could imagine getting it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Ouch. This is bad news for any Homeworld fans out there. I don't see how anyone could put faith into this product before release.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I guess I'm cautiously hopeful? Brothers in Arms was pretty good but then they beat it to death and...I hear good things about Borderlands? I'm more interested in how a company primarily concerned with FPS titles will handle a RTS.

They even hosed up the last FPS they made to a hilarious degree. You should have zero faith in them being able to make a Homeworld game that is even average.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 22, 2013

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Who said anything about an RTS? It will probably be more like a lite 4x focusing on small space battles or something, big publishers have turned away from RTS almost entirely it seems.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Zaodai posted:

They even hosed up the last FPS they made to a hilarious degree. You should have zero faith in them being able to make a Homeworld game that is even average.

They hosed up the last FPS they made AND I don't believe they've ever even done anything but FPS. I can't see this being an RTS, honestly.

Plus they seem entirely devoted to ~wacky~ humor nowadays.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
Can someone explain? I know gearbox from BL2 only and that game was like bees knee s status.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stoic Commie posted:

Who said anything about an RTS? It will probably be more like a lite 4x focusing on small space battles or something, big publishers have turned away from RTS almost entirely it seems.

They may want to cash in on the huge nostalgia surge in the PC gaming community as of late (thanks to Kickstarter) and release a Homeworld that's actually true to their roots. Whether it will actually be good or not is something else entirely.

thunderchief posted:

Can someone explain? I know gearbox from BL2 only and that game was like bees knee s status.

Gearbox's track record is better than some people are giving them credit for, but it's still extremely spotty. Both Borderlands games are a lot of fun and are really good overall. The Brothers in Arms games were pretty good. The Half Life expansions were decent. But they also put out Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines, which are about as bad as FPS games can possibly get. And their owner, Randy Pitchford, is a huge dick who oversells everything and then throws other developers under the bus when the reception for some of their games aren't so hot.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 22, 2013

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Apparently 'Step 1' is re-releasing homeworld 1 and 2 on 'modern digital platforms', whatever that means. 'Randy' Randy Pitchford's twitter says modern digital PC platforms. So... PCs.

I can only expect step 2 to involve burning as many PR bridges as possible.

The acquired IPs... are burning...

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Please outsource it to Relic somehow...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

thunderchief posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476559&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

E: I would legit buy HW2 on Steam if people put their mods on the community. My disc is scratched and unreadable at this point anyway.

EE: Star Wars Warlods was the best (Star Wars) mod.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 22, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wallrod posted:

Apparently 'Step 1' is re-releasing homeworld 1 and 2 on 'modern digital platforms', whatever that means. Console releases maybe (why)

It means Steam, GamersGate, etc.

DumbHoarder
Apr 20, 2013
Hm. My faith in Gearbox isn't exactly at an all-time high. Hope they don't royally mess this one up.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'd imagine GOG releases for Homeworld etc but I'm sure scumsucker Randy & his one trick pony crew of Gearbox will find a way to gently caress that up, too.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
Eh. Borderlands was truly 'meh', and DNF was sacrilege, this is terrible.

Guessing there will be ships named after memes.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Sankis posted:

They hosed up the last FPS they made AND I don't believe they've ever even done anything but FPS. I can't see this being an RTS, honestly.

Plus they seem entirely devoted to ~wacky~ humor nowadays.

It'll be like Homeworld 2 but with XP gain, unlockable ships, and cutscenes with totally funny and clever jokes. Oh and DLC stuff like Colonial Marine camo pattern for your fleet and Duke Nukem alien faction.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

thunderchief posted:

They were contracted by Sega to make Aliens: Colonial Marines, instead, they lied in progress reports and used that sweet Sega dough to develop Borderlands and Borderlands 2 (of which Sega saw no profit from). When Sega started demanding anything resembling the game they've presumably been spending years on they contracted Timegate to make a mock demo. When they finally absolutely had to work on the game they produced a really bad in nearly every way shooter (bug-ridden, lovely gunplay, and a really really bad story, especially in comparison to the original Aliens).

That was all without mentioning their CEO's bullshit, Duke Nukem Forever, their really bad meme humor, straight up stealing a short films aesthetic without any credit, and so on. Basically Gearbox are possibly the scummiest developers to have ever worked on an AAA title, and managed to produce the first scenario in a decade where I've been more sympathetic to the publishers than the developers. Which is why people are less than enthused about this news.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Mr. Wynand posted:

...making them accessible...

gently caress, I know what "accessible" means... :smithicide:

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Wirth1000 posted:

I'd imagine GOG releases for Homeworld etc but I'm sure scumsucker Randy & his one trick pony crew of Gearbox will find a way to gently caress that up, too.
Yeah, the best possible outcome would be GOG releases of Homeworld 1 & 2 that can run on modern OSes/systems without a lot of hair pulling. If that happens I can turn a deaf ear to the muffled sobs and whimpers from my beloved Homeworld as Gearbox commences development on Turd Demon Homeworld 4: The Turdening.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Huh. I honestly didn't know any of that stuff about Gearbox, besides their CEO being a twat. I fairly enjoyed Borderlands 2 despite the weight of memes trying to drag it down, but to be fair I never played the other games they've done.

Just to be clear though, Homeworld is the space RTS game came out around 2001 or so right? I remember playing it, and actually quite hating it. I do still have the half-inch thick book it came with that talked about the world it was set in and all of the ship designs and such, that was spiffy as hell. I really miss the days when games came with stuff like that. Or even manuals.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?

Triggsz posted:

It'll be like Homeworld 2 but with XP gain, unlockable ships, and cutscenes with totally funny and clever jokes. Oh and DLC stuff like Colonial Marine camo pattern for your fleet and Duke Nukem alien faction.

This makes me get angry at video games. Homeworld was amazing. Seeing them bastardize it like that is getting spit and urinated on while your down.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Triggsz posted:

And don't forget that there will be a level cap that you will have to buy a DLC to extend it so.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Soooooo......

What kind of experience does Gearbox have with RTS games (that may or may not be set in space)? Because all i see are FPS, some of which are pretty bad.

It seems strange that they would go for that license.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Slow_Moe posted:

Soooooo......

What kind of experience does Gearbox have with RTS games (that may or may not be set in space)? Because all i see are FPS, some of which are pretty bad.

It seems strange that they would go for that license.

None.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Korthal posted:

gently caress, I know what "accessible" means... :smithicide:

It means a GOG type release or similar - kind of like how you can buy the original X-Com on Steam, and it comes with dosbox and all the fiddly bits worked out. This is the only part of the acquisition I'm not worried about - it just means we'll be able to play the originals on new platforms [after paying for them a second time].

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Enos Shenk posted:

Huh. I honestly didn't know any of that stuff about Gearbox, besides their CEO being a twat. I fairly enjoyed Borderlands 2 despite the weight of memes trying to drag it down, but to be fair I never played the other games they've done.

Did you happen to get any of your characters beyond level 30 in Borderlands 2? Because the game is aggressively unfun after that.

The awful late-game balancing in BL2, Borderlands 1 being overall bad, and the already-mentioned disasters of DNF and ACM have made it pretty clear to me that Gearbox is a terrible, terrible developer who's only good when they steal (or license) ideas from others. This is really dreadful news.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pirate Jet posted:

Did you happen to get any of your characters beyond level 30 in Borderlands 2? Because the game is aggressively unfun after that.

The awful late-game balancing in BL2, Borderlands 1 being overall bad, and the already-mentioned disasters of DNF and ACM have made it pretty clear to me that Gearbox is a terrible, terrible developer who's only good when they steal (or license) ideas from others. This is really dreadful news.

Except all of their titles licensed from other developers are even more amazingly abysmal than their other games.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Giggily posted:

Except all of their titles licensed from other developers are even more amazingly abysmal than their other games.

I was referring to the Half-Life expansions, there. Never played Blue Shift, but I liked Opposing Force.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
After buying AC:M i feel bad for homeworld fans. Really bad.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Saoshyant posted:

And don't forget that there will be a level cap that you will have to buy a DLC to extend it so.

Oh and sorry buddy but you gotta kill 1500 frigates before you can research capital ship subsystems :haw:.

I guess i can give them some credit if they get Cataclysm on GOG/Steam but i doubt they will touch that. I lost my disc long ago.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

For me this is... Sort of rage inducing.

See I was a huge fan of the original Homeworld to the point where despite getting to game online all of two hours a week back then I was one of the top ten players in the world for multiplayer, I made a popular mod for it and wrote one of the definitive strategy guides whilst developing a few of the key multiplayer tactics. I even edited the game AI and had said edits used (with credit!) for other mods. It was amazing, it had a great story and awesome immersive cut scenes plus a surprisingly balanced multiplayer where I could exploit people's lack of ability to function in three dimensions to an amusing degree.

Homeworld 2 I was less convinced of but is still one of my favourite games. Relic not getting to make the next game does not bode well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Here's the issue.

A developer who has never made an RTS, and whose own boss considers story to be the least important thing in a game/pointless is likely going to try and make a sequel to a extremely story driven RTS series.

Everything else is side dressing. That's the core of the issue right there.

It doesn't matter if Gearbox is or is not bad at making games, or if you hate them or whatever, I can't see a good way for this to end at all.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Kharak is burning. :suicide:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They'll make a 'kick rear end' FPS out of this.
Homeworld : The Homecoming

Orv
May 4, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

They'll make a 'kick rear end' FPS out of this.
Homeworld : The Homecoming

Can't be worse than Fire Warrior, right? :smithicide:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Where the hell did Gearbox get the money to buy the IP :psyduck: ?! How much money did Sega give them? Did the Borderlands games really sell that well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CommissarMega posted:

Where the hell did Gearbox get the money to buy the IP :psyduck: ?! How much money did Sega give them? Did the Borderlands games really sell that well?

My understanding is that it was bought in a liquidation auction, in which case they could've snagged a real bargain.

• Locked thread