Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Rhjamiz posted:

Barely related, but so good so who cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29WTYRogOQ

That Taiidan vs Kushan fight, goddamn.

Edit: Look at all those sexy Taiidan Heavy Cruisers.

FreeSpace 2 posts belong in all threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Plot salvaging in Remastered's still buggy; I captured all the assault frigates in Mission 3 and it still isn't spitting them back out for me. Group salvage is just telling every salvage corvette to latch on to the same guy too.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I had the same issue on mission 3. Two brought back, zero popped out.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Has anyone else been stuck on the Catheral of Kadesh mission? I always end up with one needle ship not retreating and slowly taking out my forces or just sitting there not moving.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, I had the same issue on mission 3. Two brought back, zero popped out.

On the plus side, salvage corvettes are even better than ever. You don't have to even try to salvage all the Turanic corvettes now. The Ion Array Frigates will shoot them, but if you take them all at once there's nothing they can do.

Also, I have ten ion array frigates now. Gonna go steal the Taiidan carrier for once.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Don't do that. One, stolen carriers don't function as carriers in the remaster, so they're just useless bricks, and two, after it gets out of the capship bay it will poo poo out a few hundred fighters right in the middle of your fleet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psycho Landlord posted:

Don't do that. One, stolen carriers don't function as carriers in the remaster, so they're just useless bricks, and two, after it gets out of the capship bay it will poo poo out a few hundred fighters right in the middle of your fleet.

Ahahaha they didn't fix that? Oh well, I'll just blow it up then.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

The Carrier had a stomach flu that day :ohdear:

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

That's not a glitch it's a feature! Taidan Trojan Carrier/their only viable response to you stealing all their stuff.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, I actually really like the design of that ship, and if I were to criticize it at all I'd say that it feels like it needs more guns. This is actually a problem I had with the high end units in Deserts of Kharak too, so I don't know if there's just a designer over there who has a fetish for big vehicles with tiny guns or what. Very ready for a new Complex mod to fix that.

My guess is it makes things easier for game balancing or something like that. I once heard someone suggest that fewer guns made for less total projectiles in flight which was in turn supposed to be better for network latency or something like that, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

That said...

General Battuta posted:

NO :gonk:

I mean I really want another PDS (more like ~v6 than the later versions where everything was hypervelocity missiles and ion beams) but you're giving me flashbacks here, man. I was an innocent 15 year old on AIM and I thought 'roleplay' meant something like D&D. I was so wrong :unsmigghh:

Yeah, the older/more 'vanilla' versions of PDS I loved mostly because it gave the Hiigaran Battlecruiser so many guns (and missiles!) and made it look extra badass. I'd love to see a similar mod for HW:R.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way, it was in the patch notes that different races have slightly different formation variations, and I appreciate that the Turanic Wall formation is just a half-assed attempt at lining up in rows. :haw:

I'm enjoying frigates being actually good again now too in the campaign. 3 or 4 of them just completely negate all the fighter and corvette squads in Mission 4. Another weird little change is that in HW1R you start with a second collector now, I guess to speed things along a bit.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

I like how the Vaygr strike craft have what appear to be WW2-style invasion stripes painted on them. :black101:

e: for comparison

I always thought those stripes were to give the ship a sort of hornet-like appearance, I hadn't even considered that they were some kind of nod to invasion stripes. I can't say for sure, but I don't think those are a nod/homage/reference/whatever to invasion stripes, but I could totally be wrong.

I would think that the homeworld universe would have a more high tech solution for identifying friendlies, but it certainly isn't above the lore to go old-school/analogue.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Allen_Aldo posted:

I always thought those stripes were to give the ship a sort of hornet-like appearance, I hadn't even considered that they were some kind of nod to invasion stripes. I can't say for sure, but I don't think those are a nod/homage/reference/whatever to invasion stripes, but I could totally be wrong.

I would think that the homeworld universe would have a more high tech solution for identifying friendlies, but it certainly isn't above the lore to go old-school/analogue.

It's just the Chris Foss school of spaceship design; bright colors and lots of stripes and checkers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found the anti-salvager logic. It's on assault frigates and destroyers. They will target them and nothing else, and can instant kill them. You'll lose all 14 in a second. Which sucks in the campaign, because there are twelve assault frigates and four destroyers in front of me.

e: Also if you latch on, literally every enemy ship breaks combat to kill the salvagers stealing something. It's really gamebreaking, you just shut down the ai entirely.

e: A taiidan assault frigate just blew up the salvage corvettes that was moving it into the hangar. The salvagers had already let go, then it killed them, reclaimed control and shot the other ones.

e: Assault frigates are loving terrible at hitting fighters now. 1 spent the last ten minutes trying to kill five barely moving defenders. It never hit one of them.

Also my defenders are gunning down all my other fighters in Diamond Shoals because of the ballistics lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 22, 2016

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Assault frigates are loving terrible at hitting fighters now. 1 spent the last ten minutes trying to kill five barely moving defenders. It never hit one of them.

That's real weird, Assault Frigates were pretty murderous to fighters in groups of three or more when I played through.

RBA Starblade posted:

Also my defenders are gunning down all my other fighters in Diamond Shoals because of the ballistics lmao

This part though, yeah, this was a pain. Happened to me at the Supernova station. A wall of Defenders decimated the squadron of scouts I sent in ahead of it.

They killed that minelayer though :downs:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RBA Starblade posted:

I found the anti-salvager logic. It's on assault frigates and destroyers. They will target them and nothing else, and can instant kill them. You'll lose all 14 in a second. Which sucks in the campaign, because there are twelve assault frigates and four destroyers in front of me.

e: Also if you latch on, literally every enemy ship breaks combat to kill the salvagers stealing something. It's really gamebreaking, you just shut down the ai entirely.

Good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Light Corvettes are explicitly called antifighter and the rear end frig and heavy Corvettes anticorvette so I think they've just changed roles up a bit. I want to see if lights are worth it outside a triple vette wall now!

These ballistics are the best and worth the wait.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH I just played HWRM through from start to finish for the first time and all I actually did was just build the biggest ships I could and send them at the enemy, I didn't encounter any meaningful resistance or challenge for the entire campaign, a squad of destroyers beats everything, or a squad of frigates before that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, the resource inflation is still real and that pretty much robs the campaign of any challenge if you just ball up frigates/capships. But at least smaller ships are a viable way to play now.

e: although I am very curious what happened to you on Bridge of Sighs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, the resource inflation is still real and that pretty much robs the campaign of any challenge if you just ball up frigates/capships. But at least smaller ships are a viable way to play now.

On the other hand, I had to use strategy to not get owned in Mission 5 there. On the other, other hand, I have 17,000 rus already.

My defenders are turning on each other now. Defenders are now hilariously powerful and trigger happy I love this.

e: They all killed each other before the kadeshi swarmers could

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 23, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

General Battuta posted:

The one where you blow up the inhibitor? I balled up my ships and shot everything, same as the other missions.

The map full of elite ion frigates did cause me to lose a destroyer but eh, they die faster than they can line up and shoot.

I did try to find a hard counter to the ion frigates and spent a little while experimenting with strike craft but bombers do very little damage, corvettes get shot down in droves by the frigates, and other frigates is just a patently stupid idea. So four destroyers and a captured cruiser continued to be the best approach.

That's more or less the only thing I bothered to capture in the whole game tbh, if the enemy fields anything bigger than you can build, throw a bunch of corvettes at it until you capture it, then use it to walk through the game until you fetch up against something bigger/you can build your own.

I think I finished with something like 70k resources at the end.

I don't really understand the balance to be honest, all strike craft except maybe bombers are oriented to attack and destroy other strike craft. So the strike craft game is... kind of irrelevant. Frigates can do damage but their hard counter is destroyers and cruisers, so, why build anything else other than destroyers and cruisers? I build a few frigates to maybe get rid of strike craft faster but nothing except other destroyers/cruisers really poses a threat in the sense that it can do damage fast enough to actually stop my own destroyers/cruisers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 23, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Congratulations you are the capital ship supporting admiral from the HW1 manual.

Strikecraft are (supposed to be) faster and cheaper for the firepower you get - two things that don't matter in the campaign.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pity there's no mechanic encouraging you to use a mix of ships, like separate caps for capital ships and strike craft.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Is this one of those 'that's the joke' things? Because there is. It's just breakable via salvage, and the caps are decently high as is.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
That was, indeed, the joke.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

Congratulations you are the capital ship supporting admiral from the HW1 manual.

Strikecraft are (supposed to be) faster and cheaper for the firepower you get - two things that don't matter in the campaign.

Between the stormtrooper shooting in Shoals and the swarmers in the Gardens my poor strikecraft didn't stand much of a chance.

Also, the swarmers are insane now. They're stronger than they ever were but in a cool way. They can move faster than the turrets can track, so defenders aren't much good. Heavy corvettes and multi-guns are okay if only because they can keep alive. Interceptors actually work decently well, but if they're in a relatively large formation or in aggressive the swarmers will out-dogfight them and win. They do enough damage to really mess up harvesters/salvagers/lonely frigates with only a handful of them as well. You actually need to shoot/salvage the fuel pods now instead of just focusing them down, and there are a lot more of them and the swarmers than before. When they run out of fuel they move at corvette speeds instead of being totally stationary now as well, so they're still dangerous, but their armor is so low heavies can take potshots and take them out at that point. The needleships are kind of a joke now though. With how improved frigates are they don't last long enough to matter; I interrupted a bunch of cutscenes with a few captured ion arrays and two destroyers.

Captured multi-beams are super eager to shoot fighters down and you should probably keep them as far away from the rest of the fleet as you can along with your defenders. :v:

The weird thing is this doesn't feel a lot like HW1 classic to me now, it's its own cool thing.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The weird thing is this doesn't feel a lot like HW1 classic to me now, it's its own cool thing.

Yup, that's how I felt about it. Not a perfect emulation, but the spirit of the original in terms of being cool and fun along with a remixed level of difficulty and tactics required.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since I keep seeing it, did anyone ever actually figure out how to make campaign missions in Remastered? It'd have been cool if more than just Raider Retreat showed up there but with how much it took just to get 2.0 out I don't think that's going to happen.

quote:

Yup, that's how I felt about it. Not a perfect emulation, but the spirit of the original in terms of being cool and fun along with a remixed level of difficulty and tactics required.

Exactly, and I feel that was the best way to do it, especially since the classics were included as well.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Since I keep seeing it, did anyone ever actually figure out how to make campaign missions in Remastered? It'd have been cool if more than just Raider Retreat showed up there but with how much it took just to get 2.0 out I don't think that's going to happen.

Supposedly, a big point with 2.0 was trying to make content creation for modders not a giant pain in the rear end, so we'll see how it pans out. I know the mods tools are kinda hosed right now though, so the only modders making any strides at the moment are the Complex guys, and really all they're doing is begging for money.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having done some multiplayer, Kushan fighters are disgustingly powerful. They swarm so much that anti-fighters can't do anything.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Did Gearbox give any indication when the updated tools would be released? So many mods I am itching to try and none of them are 2.0 ready.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Rhjamiz posted:

Did Gearbox give any indication when the updated tools would be released? So many mods I am itching to try and none of them are 2.0 ready.
unless the model or archive tool are suddenly broken it is entirely on modders to update their own crap

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Dukka posted:

unless the model or archive tool are suddenly broken it is entirely on modders to update their own crap

Gotcha, I am unfamiliar with what it all entails.

Edit: Wait no, HODOR/RODOH or whatever is apparently made by Gearbox? and that's what most modders are waiting on.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, I actually really like the design of that ship, and if I were to criticize it at all I'd say that it feels like it needs more guns. This is actually a problem I had with the high end units in Deserts of Kharak too, so I don't know if there's just a designer over there who has a fetish for big vehicles with tiny guns or what. Very ready for a new Complex mod to fix that.

Yeah, I was really impressed when I first noticed that as a kid and it's a sign of a great artist within this kind of context. People respond so positively, even subconsciously, to thinking like this and it feels like a decent part of what made Homeworld great.

I wanted to support complex but beghins put the mod behind a patreon pay gate. He first had it at $2000 a month required or he would cancel it entirely. It hit about 1200 and he lowered to $1000 to keep going.

Now to top it off at. $2000 he wants to give jobs to the community to help make development go faster. The catch is that they will not get paid.

He's a loving skeez and I won't touch complex now.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

i remember when he jacked a bunch of crap from the supcom community to make a lovely complex mod for that game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I've ever installed a single mod for Homeworld. I never thought it needed it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Only mod I've ever installed was Star Wars Warlords because I'm a whore for SW spacefights.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Point Defense Systems mod used to be incredible until the maker went Tacti-Tard. I loved how combat looked with PDS.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

I always forget which version of PDS was the last good one before it went tits up with ~turbo realism~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Dukka posted:

I always forget which version of PDS was the last good one before it went tits up with ~turbo realism~.

6 or 7 I think? Or maybe 5. Around there-ish.

• Locked thread