Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Jesus christ, I just nostalgia'd so hard. Going to have to see if I can dig up my copy now.

FooF posted:

Edit: ^^^^ I believe Cataclysm's code is legit lost. I'm on some other forums and other posters were posting that very thing not too long ago. No one has it, no one has access to it and no one cares to try to acquire it.

This is loving criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, this would be hysterical.

That would be amazing. Derek Smart is a talent and money vacuum, and while Gearbox would try to siphon money from developing Homeworld, the tables would end up turned and he would suck every ounce of cash and talent from them. There would be nothing left in the Gearbox offices except the dessicated husks of developers and the sound of Derek Smart fighting all of their soda machines.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
No one is left, everything is gone. Gearbox Software is burning. Gearbox is being consumed by a firestorm. Parking lot has been destroyed, all offices destroyed, significant debris outside the office areas. Receiving no communication from any of their phones... not even beepers.

VVV I'd nominate the Beast reveal from Cataclysm.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 24, 2013

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Other than 'Kharak is burning', I also want to nominate "Subject did not survive interrogation" as a memorable line in Homeworld.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"There is no, withdrawal, from the Garden."

And boy there sure loving wasn't for like a week, because I was real bad at those two missions. Fleet Command's voice sticks with me the same way "You must gather your party before venturing forth" does.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Oh goddamnit. Few times is it OK to express hyperbole like "Randy Pitchford is pissing on my childhood." but gently caress~~

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Weissritter posted:

Other than 'Kharak is burning', I also want to nominate "Subject did not survive interrogation" as a memorable line in Homeworld.

YES. It was so downplayed in both verbiage and tone.

Don't forget the soundtrack to this game, too. The Turanic Raiders theme was awesome and of course, Adagio for Strings, but the atmosphere brought about by the music was spot-on, too.

As for Cataclysm, its plot is kind of goofy in retrospect but I was jonesing so hard for another HW game I don't think it mattered. The multiplayer was a blast and the Somtaaw/Beast distinction wasn't quite as chess-like as the original HW. As for its canon-status, even Barking Dog admitted this was a spin-off game and really didn't advance the plot. We all wanted to know what Hiigara was like after the Exiles return and we got a few tastes of it before the Kuun-Lan left the Hiigaran system (and we got a beefy manual, too).

I don't think I kept my manual(s) for HW and Cataclysm but they might still be buried in a few old bags of mine. I might have tossed them in my my last move... :(

FooF fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 24, 2013

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Did any of you guys have the original Half-Life disc? Among other things that were tucked away, the disc had a video trailer/teaser thing of Homeworld. Looking back, it was surely some abysmal-quality .avi or .mov file, but I remember seeing the ships with the trails (which were awesome) and hearing Agnus Dei play over it (which was awesome) and my world was changed. I was maybe 12 or 13 at the time.

Looking back at the games that inspired me the most while growing up, the two that stand out are The Dig and Homeworld. The Dig is great. Brilliant, even. But I get to relive it whenever I want because it's on Steam. Homeworld isn't.

A modern digital release is all I want or need to retain one half of the biggest wonder of my growing childhood gaming history. Please don't ruin Homeworld, Gearbox. :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Cataclysm manual wasn't a slouch either. Though it didn't have nearly as much all-encompassing lore as the first manual, it went into pretty good detail on the background of the Somtaaw and had 50 goddamn pages of pictures and descriptions and background lore of each unit. Yes, background lore for ship types. Not just the Somtaaw and Beast units either, Turanic Raiders and Taiidan too. lovely cellphone picture!

HW2's manual is actually surprisingly thick for its small size, but its all game information and the Hiigarans and Vagyr don't even get a page and a half of background fluff. Ships just have a small picture and up to 7 lines of description.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Orv posted:

"There is no, withdrawal, from the Garden."

And boy there sure loving wasn't for like a week, because I was real bad at those two missions. Fleet Command's voice sticks with me the same way "You must gather your party before venturing forth" does.

Yeah those were a pain if you didn't know what you were doing. But it felt even better when you finally beat them. They are fighter based and their motherships have a loving deathray that absolutely ruins bigger ships so i learned to just retire all my frigates and destroyers and get a fuckton of fighters and use swarms of plasma bombers to kill their motherships.

As for the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqWcm6MMiHk The Kharak System always does it for me.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I will say this: Gearbox could partially redeem themselves if they made a graphics update to the original Homeworld and left everything else alone. I would like to be able to issue orders from the sensor view but that might not be in the cards. This is one of those games that tinkering with the original formula is a really bad move. I don't know if there's any money in that but I'd re-purchase the game if it was optimized and modernized, with little tinkering outside of that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I never played a Homeworld game before so I hope at least Gearbox will make it more accessible to complete newcomers

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

frajaq posted:

I never played a Homeworld game before so I hope at least Gearbox will make it more accessible to complete newcomers

Ha ha ha. Ah heh. Ha. :shepicide:

Orv posted:

The garden was a cakewalk compared to the loving junkyard. I still see junkyard dog in my nightmares.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I don't hate Gearbox, but every single product they have made showcases all the things that are directly opposite of the things that made Homeworld a great game. These are just two things that make no sense being put together. Like Disney Interactive buying Silent Hill or something.

At least Stardock didn't win the rights, I guess.

I'm pretty not excited about a sequel anyway, it's not like this was a flawless franchise. Homeworld was a beautiful game and I'd be willing to say it still holds up with its atmosphere and graphical simplicity. Cataclysm was a different kind of game, but still pretty good. Homeworld 2 was a sorely lacking sequel. People can bash THQ for sitting on the IP, but I can easily imagine the franchise going downhill, and now it has even more opportunity for that to happen I guess. Yay.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

The Manual really was incredible, it sucked me into the game before I ever even got it installed. Pages and pages of history and background info, illustrations, technical details on ships, emails between admirals arguing about strategies and tactics, all printed on big heavyweight paper. I poured over that thing for hours as a kid, it was basically an entire novella setting up the game. Its a shame the later editions switched to the mini-boxes and didn't include it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/97870330/Homeworld-Manual-PC

Oh god I totally forgot about all the tacticschat between admirals. Not only was it a great little bit of homage to the 'Battleship Admirals vs. Carrier Admirals' debate that took place between the world wars, but it was actually a great little infodump on some of the tactics you could use in-game.

(Or use both. Support frigs and strike craft for trolling enemy harvesters while building a heavy fleet of destroyers and cruisers to dish out that gourmet damage to the center of the enemy's line :v: )

Also, on the subject of soundtrack, the imperial battle theme was the best, in my book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2re702QU6Ls

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

3 posted:

The garden was a cakewalk compared to the loving junkyard. I still see junkyard dog in my nightmares.

Am I the only one who remembered Gravwell Generators existed? I just hear this so much its strange.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

frajaq posted:

No. Just no. Hands off my Homeworld. :negative:

Literally all they need to do is fix it up so it runs properly on Win7 and in widescreen resolutions. That's it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

frajaq posted:

Homeworld 1 has aged really really well. It's probably the best game from that entire '98-'99 PC golden age in terms of still being just as fun and enjoyable to play today.

Fun fact: I've had Homeworld 1 continuously installed on my PCs for over 10 years, copying from drive to drive as I upgraded.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2re702QU6Ls

This is still the best video game music ever composed.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

tractor fanatic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2re702QU6Ls

This is still the best video game music ever composed.

Goddamn, more goosebumps. Homeworld gives me more of those than any other game, for some reason.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

One of my favorite moments in the game is the second level when you encounter enemies for the first time. As the unknown alien menace comes swarming toward you, you see their fighters smacking into each other and shoving each other around, which tells you pretty much everything you need to know about them. Such a great game. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2kqDWggu6A

Kibayasu posted:

Am I the only one who remembered Gravwell Generators existed? I just hear this so much its strange.

Pretty sure you didn't have the tech for them on those levels. Heavy corvette bursts wreak them pretty hard though, and you get the tech for mutli-gun corvettes soon after encountering them.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

The Manual really was incredible, it sucked me into the game before I ever even got it installed. Pages and pages of history and background info, illustrations, technical details on ships, emails between admirals arguing about strategies and tactics, all printed on big heavyweight paper. I poured over that thing for hours as a kid, it was basically an entire novella setting up the game. Its a shame the later editions switched to the mini-boxes and didn't include it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/97870330/Homeworld-Manual-PC

Reading about the heresy wars makes me want a game set on Kharak during that time period, and allowing you to dick around in the desert while the warring sects put each other to the sword over minor differences in beliefs. Doesn't even need to include any spaceships.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Slashrat posted:

Reading about the heresy wars makes me want a game set on Kharak during that time period, and allowing you to dick around in the desert while the warring sects put each other to the sword over minor differences in beliefs. Doesn't even need to include any spaceships.

This is basically what Hardware is going to be. People on a desert planet fighting each other, also there are spaceships buried in the sand. Of course, it seems to mostly be for profit margins, but whatever.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I really liked both HW and HW: Cataclysm, and so much talking of the game and I'll install and play them in the weekend.

My favorite is Cataclysm, for the sheer feeling of loneliness in the space and the long battles against the Beast.

Mission after mission you're loosing the war until you're desperate enough to attack the Bentusi, just an amazing expansion. For everyone that played HW but not Cataclysm you really should.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

One of my favorite moments in the game is the second level when you encounter enemies for the first time. As the unknown alien menace comes swarming toward you, you see their fighters smacking into each other and shoving each other around, which tells you pretty much everything you need to know about them. Such a great game. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2kqDWggu6A

Pretty sure you didn't have the tech for them on those levels. Heavy corvette bursts wreak them pretty hard though, and you get the tech for mutli-gun corvettes soon after encountering them.

That reveal is really good. Finding the wreckage of the Khar-Selim was such a chilling moment for me. Knowing it had drifted it's way out there for decades all by itself in the middle of nowhere just to test the mothership's hyperdrive, and finding it completely destroyed. Homeworld is the scariest RTS ever. It doesen't just introduce the Turanic Raiders. But it really foreshadows Kharak getting burned to a crisp later on. You can tell from the start that something is very wrong. I love it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Giggily posted:

This is basically what Hardware is going to be. People on a desert planet fighting each other, also there are spaceships buried in the sand. Of course, it seems to mostly be for profit margins, but whatever.

Difference being that the time period of Hardware has the characters in possession of space-faring technology, while the heresy wars are basically the crusades stretched out over 300 years, with steam engines and early firearms injected into the mix at the end of it. It might have very little to do with what the actual Homeworld game was about (spaceships shooting at each other), but it's a part of the setting that I'd love to see more of.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

benzine posted:

I really liked both HW and HW: Cataclysm, and so much talking of the game and I'll install and play them in the weekend.

My favorite is Cataclysm, for the sheer feeling of loneliness in the space and the long battles against the Beast.

Mission after mission you're loosing the war until you're desperate enough to attack the Bentusi, just an amazing expansion. For everyone that played HW but not Cataclysm you really should.

Cataclysm was cool for sure. I loved the gimmick on the last level.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Giggily posted:

So it's like Homeworld and Ground Control had a baby.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Night Shade posted:

Literally all they need to do is fix it up so it runs properly on Win7 and in widescreen resolutions. That's it.

The gameplay and interface are still smooth as you could want. Basically slap on a coat of HD paint, modern fairings, decent story and away we go. Like, this isn't going to be a hard one to get right if the story is ok (there is no shortage of background to use for this) simply for the fact that the core gameplay is still so solid. The only thing that could hurt the game is the introduction of gimmicky crap and a lovely story.

lovely story and gimmicks are the hallmarks of Gearbox games recently, so lets just hope they have a long think about the direction taken with HW.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Node posted:

Did they ever fix the thing where the super fighters would lead their targets and miss?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

I just had to go and find my Homeworld manual after seeing all the love for it here. When I did, I flipped it over and...

Figures a Gearbox product would be riding on the back of the Homeworld name.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Night Shade posted:

Did they ever fix the thing where the super fighters would lead their targets and miss?

Heh, no.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

turnways posted:

Figures a Gearbox product would be riding on the back of the Homeworld name.
N:iceburn:

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

The gameplay and interface are still smooth as you could want. Basically slap on a coat of HD paint, modern fairings, decent story and away we go. Like, this isn't going to be a hard one to get right if the story is ok (there is no shortage of background to use for this) simply for the fact that the core gameplay is still so solid. The only thing that could hurt the game is the introduction of gimmicky crap and a lovely story.
For a re-release of the original, I think the only really useful change I can think of (besides stuff like HQ textures etc) is revamping the UI so it's resolution-independent.

But this did make me think about one idea: Homeworld is a good candidate for a Hollywood-style remake. Not a reboot, a sequel, a prequel, or anything but a complete faithful to the original remake, a la Black Mesa. I wonder if the original recordings for stuff like voice-overs still exist, because one weakness for HW1 is the 90's-era audio compression which sounds kinda crappy.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Klyith posted:

I wonder if the original recordings for stuff like voice-overs still exist, because one weakness for HW1 is the 90's-era audio compression which sounds kinda crappy.

That would be the one thing I want them to leave alone. Homeworld's voice over tracks are the pinnacle of space radio static in any piece of Sci-Fi media.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Tanith posted:

So it's like Homeworld and Ground Control had a baby.

God I hope so.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Weissritter posted:

The last cinematic never fails to make me tear up. Karan S'jet made it home :unsmith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

God I hope so.

On Facebook! :suicide:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Node posted:

I still love the level where you have to save the Clee-San research ship that got caught in a minefield patrolled by fighters. You could either very slowly and meticulously use your fighters to clear out the mines, or you could dock them all and just plow the Kuun-Lan right through it. You'd occasionally have to stop because an enemy fighter would get smart and hover around between turrets on the ship, though.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Antti posted:

The last cinematic never fails to make me tear up. Karan S'jet made it home :unsmith:

Yeah, I also love Homeworld for its very satisfying ending, even if it is a little bittersweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Orv posted:

On Facebook! :suicide:

Oh. Forgot about that. :smith:

I will admit to being fairly ignorant to Facebook games. Is there anything like these games in style or caliber? I can't imagine Facebook being able to support an RTS but anything is possible and I'd rather be optimistic.

• Locked thread