Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Nicodemus' Ritual

The drops of blood swirled around until they made out the face of a young woman. Before her was a box made out of darkness and she stood poised to open it. The darkness radiates out from the box until it engulfs the entire bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Nicodemus

That was...interesting. Rarely did the visions granted by the magic of Cruac show up so clearly...though it was certainly still damned cryptic. His first thought was Pandora's Box, but that was far too obvious and simple; surely there was more to it than a literal box of darkness. Still...the vision unnerved him, and he took the opportunity to cast his cards before making any major decision on how to proceed with this new information.

Flip;

"Seven of Stones - Healing. Rest and rejuvenation, wholeness."

Flip;

"Page of Arrows - The Wren. Challenge, fortitude, the faithful companion."

Flip;

"Six of Stones - Exploitation. Lack, deprivation, the price paid."

Flip;

"King of Arrows - The Kingfisher. Discipline and precision, justice, the wise and moral lord."

And the last;

"Nine of Stones - Tradition. Reverence, ritual, insight and wisdom."

Reading it out loud really benefitted no-one but himself (and possibly the ship's computer, which was almost certainly listening in), but it was a relaxing process and helped him consider the meaning and symbolism at work. It was...an unusual spread, but overall a positive one, and he couldn't help but feel his spirit buoyed slightly. "Well. That's a much more pleasant omen." he whispered, and glanced up.

"Um...M...Mavoc, I think the captain called you...is there some sort of area on the ship where the crew gathers, possibly a common room where I can find the rest of my...neighbors aboard?" he asked, feeling slightly foolish. Still, better to ask rather than stumble blindly about and wind up in some restricted area of the ship and staked for foolish curiosity!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The woman is Penelope by the way.

JRS Draco, Nicodemus' Room

pre:
There is a designated commons area. 
If you wish for directions I will activate guidance lights.
MAVOC replies over the speakers, the light which indicated that it was focussing its attention on a room blinking on. When Nicodemus confirmed, the light blinked out and there was a red and yellow coloured light pattern that began at the door to his room and led him to the common area.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 17, 2013

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

I figured it might be someone on the ship, but recognition will have to wait until I meet the motley assortment of travelers!

Nicodemus, En Route to the Common Area

"Thank you kindly, I, um, appreciate that." he said cheerfully. Thanking the computer might be a bit much, but, well...he was fairly used to talking to inanimate objects at this stage in his life. What was one more? Nicodemus followed pattern of lights towards the commons, and very quietly peeked his head through the door.

"Uh...hi?" he called out, probably startling at least a few individuals, depending on whether or not the captain had informed the crew of their newest...passenger.

"Mavoc said this was the commons?". It was more a question than a statement as he noted the individuals in the room; his earlier cheer started to flag slightly as he belatedly realized that meeting the other passengers meant being sociable and being social was hard.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

The pancake was halfway to her mouth when Nicodemus popped his head round the doorframe.

"Uh...hi?" he said.

Sammi paused, eyes locked on the stowaway in uncertainty. She still wasn't sure how she felt about the scruffy Orange box man. Keeping her eyes on him she lowered her head and took a bite of her pancake.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I would have introduced Nick to the rest of the crew before we left port... we just kind of skipped over it.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Right, I'll edit my above post to reflect this.

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013
Arjuna

Arjuna sips at his tea delicately. "Thank you, Sammi. I did indeed have a bit of a terror last night, and I am still trying to make sense of it. There is...something to it, some message or idea I haven't quite grasped. Worrisome, especially in the light of other's experiences."

Arjuna stares into his tea, deep in thought. "There may, perhaps, be more than circumstance at play here."

He then looks up at the new arrival. "Good morning and warm salutations, friend. How does your morning find you?"

Luarien fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 16, 2013

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Nicodemus

Nicodemus seemed rather confused by the question for a moment; it's been quite a while since anyone's asked him how his morning has been, but he recovered quickly enough. "Um...oddly?" he replied, again more of a question than a statement.

"Had...interesting dreams." he added after a moment. And it was rather interesting; torpor dreams were rare enough, especially intense ones like that. He ambled in and found himself a seat somewhat distant from the rest of them, mindful of the captain's orders not to bother the crew; he also tried his best not to stare, recognizing Penelope from his divination this morning.

"...So. Um. How is...everyone?"

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Penelope

Penelope nodded in thanks at Sammi. When Nicodemus appeared, she tried not to give a start, narrowly avoiding hot tea all over her lap. Was it normal to move that silently first thing in the morning? She kept her expression civil, even as she inwardly scowled. "Good morning," she said, taking a sip of her tea.

"I'm feeling quite well," she said. Physically this was the case -- she'd had plenty of sleep and no longer felt exhausted. Mentally, though, she was quite on edge. Between this dream topic, the odd occurrences back on the station and Nicodemus's sudden appearance -- immediately coinciding with the disappearance of a crewmember, no less -- she was struggling to pretend that nothing was amiss.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

"S-So we all had n-nightmares?" Sammi said, trying to ignore the creeping dread that had settled in her stomach. "D-Did yours have anything to do w-with... S-Some kinda a-abyss? O-O-Or encroaching darkness?"

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013
Arjuna
I've got a plan for my XP - 2 points in the Occultation merit explained as a growing effect from my Tattoo as it's...settling in, and one point in Sanctum assuming I get permission from the captain in our upcoming conversation. That'll leave me with 3 XP

Arjuna's eyebrow goes up at Sammi's description of her nightmare. "Why yes, in fact, mine did. How...curious that your dream would include similar elements. Though, perhaps, it is a reflection of the nature of space. It is vast, dark, and unknowable. To think that there is a yawning, uncaring abyss where even light and sound are scarce just beyond the comforting metal walls of this ship. Stress, perhaps, and this fact drove our dreams." Arjuna sips his teas. "It is a difficult and unwelcoming place to be, space."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

HiKaizer, are the weirder side effects of space well known? Like are there void shields or something?

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Nicodemus

Nicodemus considers Sammi question, not entirely sure how to answer. "Um...no. Yes. Kind of?" he replied, scratching a temple in embarrassment.

"Not really, um...like an abyss. Like...a predator." he said, very slowly, as if trying to find the right words to describe it. "Like...something hungry was...staring at me. Into me. Through me...if that makes any sense?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Exam is done!

If you're a Mage you know all about it, because Space is really bad for Paradox and is the Abyss in essence. Werewolves know it has not Spirit Realm, so Spirits need to hitch-hike on spaceships to get around but most stick in one place. They're the groups that know something is weird with space. Humans don't know there's anything weird with space beyond it being space.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter

Hunter nods.

"Must've been some bad meat in last night's meal. I'll double-check it after breakfast."

He looks down at the griddle, shrugging.

"Though the bacon should be safe, the way I'm burning it."

He chuckles, but Sammi's been around him enough to tell that he's dour about something.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

Sammi got up from her seat, carrying her finished plate and glass to the washing station. Passing a concerned glance in Hunter's direction. She wanted to try to do something to comfort him in some way, any way. But to do so would only serve to unnerve the passengers, and Sammi had done enough of that already. Instead she glanced over Hunter's shoulder at the griddle.

"...U-Ummm..." She hesitated. "...I-I think those are done..."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
JRS Draco Commons

pre:
Captain, I am detecting increasing levels of smoke emissions.
Please remember that if they reach a certain level automatic fire suppression may be activated.
Hunter and Sammi knew that MAVOC could suppress that function if it had cause to, but the AI had a strange sense of humour. Naturally the fire suppression was a foam that would suffocate fires, water was too precious on a spaceship to waste on fire extinguishers.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

"If it helps, mine had nothing to do with an abyss either," Penelope says. She doesn't quite meet Sammi's eye as she says this -- apparently the steam rising off of her tea has become incredibly fascinating. "Not that it would matter if it had. My dreams are just dreams."

Making herself look up from the cup, Penelope leans back in her chair. She was not getting anymore comfortable with the subject. "I wouldn't even call it a nightmare; just a weird dream. It's a bit of a nice change."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

"W-Well... weird is b-better then bad any d-day. What were y-you doing in the dream? I-If you don't m-mind me asking..." Sammi asked Penelope. Someone not having a bad dream would be something of a relief.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

Penelope shrugged. "Just something about my cargo. No one got eaten, so not a bad dream as far as I'm concerned. Nothing else really comes to mind." Certainly not the unsettling voices whispering existential questions at her. That part didn't need to come up over breakfast. Or over anything ever, for that matter. "Dreaming about an abyss doesn't seem like it would be too strange, since we are in space," Penelope pointed out. "You shouldn't take seeing something like that too seriously."

6d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1 One success to lie about/downplay the dream.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
2d10.hits(8)=0 no successes to read penelope

Sammi

She seemed to be sincere, Sammi knew though that she had little ability to tell the difference between sincerity and lies. Humans were confusing like that. Heck the only person that Sammi could read was Hunter. Even then it was a struggle.

"S-Sorry... I-I just... I got into d-dream stuff when I was a k-kid... I-I guess part of me still t-takes it seriously..."

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Nicodemus

Not Sure If Believe or Not: 4d10o10h8 2 Thou hast been rumbled, Madame Penelope!

One of the key benefits of undeath, if you could call any part of vampirism a benefit, was the peculiar tendency towards learning how to people-watch; when your diet was rich in Vitamin Red, even twitchy little wallflowers like Nicodemus learned how to read people. And his senses were telling him Penelope wasn't telling the whole truth; well, his senses and a few factoids he hadn't made public, but no need to go into that quite yet. He noted the secrecy and made a mental note to investigate that later.

"Nothing wrong with, um, with that. Dreams are...important. Lots to learn. Windows, to, ah, the inner psyche. Should listen to them, um, sometimes. Wisdom if you know where to look." he said, agreeing with Sammi on the value of dreams. Nicodemus seemed to get just a little fidgetier when talking, as if his nervous energy couldn't quite be contained by his frame.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter

Hunter mutters something under his breath then speaks up loud enough for everyone to hear.
"It was a joke, guys, jeez, the bacon's still edible, and you don't need to turn on the fire suppression system."

Bullshit: 5d10h8 2
FYI Punting, the h modifier automatically includes o10 on Orokos. You don't need both. That said Penelope, I call bullshit
He gives Penelope a pointed look, one that speaks volumes in the language of "I know you're lying", but doesn't let on to the others. He'll set out the last few plates of food before digging in himself.

"Sammi, once we're done here can you give me a hand in the engine room?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

"H-Huh...? U-Um, yeah, s-sure!" Sammi replied. Now that she didn't have the possibility of supernatural danger hanging over their heads and that she'd calmed down from her nightmare, Sammi had the opportunity to consider everything that had just happened. Including how much talking she had done. To a room (relatively) full of people. Most of who she didn't know.

The cogs in her brain slowly turned and came forth with the realisation 'oh wait, I'm actually terrified by this'.

Sammi glanced at Hunter, visibly becoming self conscious. She grabbed her blanket and wrapped it around herself tightly. Her cheeks as red as the hobs of the cooker.

"I-I-I um... I-I'm going t-to go and g-get wash- get dres- ready. U-Um I-I-I'll see y-you down t-there." She mumbled, grabbed her toy and quickly fled down to engineering. She needed a shower, some clean(ish) clothes. Really she should have also finished breakfast. Her somewhat frequent skipping of meals might explain her malnutrition. But Sammi was a skittish sort, and such sudden shifts in her mood and behaviour were common. Social embarrassment often leading to her disappearing off at the first opportunity.

Still some good had come of it. Sammi was clearly capable of conversing with people. She just needed to be distracted out of herself first.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 26, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

Yeah, that little omission hadn't gone unnoticed -- judging from the hard look the captain had just shot her, he didn't believe her for a moment. In Penelope's defence, it was still pretty early, and unless he was putting a lot more stock in these nightmares than she was comfortable with, she didn't expect him to make something of it. In the end, her dreams were her business. She gave a little shrug in response to his look.

She watched Sammi go with a slightly bemused expression, before looking back at Nicodemus. "Well, if it meant I'm paranoid about something happening to that box, I already knew that. I am trying not to let it get to me; just something already went wrong earlier, so that makes me a bit fidgety."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
It seems like people are nearing the end of this scene, I'll move it along on the weekend unless anyone has something else they want to cover?

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Nicodemus

The kindred was...well, frankly, surprised to hear her admit it so baldly. "Oh. Um...well, okay, yeah. Just, uh...probably shouldn't open it, I think. Might be...bad." he says, trailing off lamely. "Er...but I guess you probably, um, knew that already."

Yeah, that works for me, I got nothin' else to cover here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's fine, I was just going to go use the trip down to the engine room as an excuse to go and check out the spiritual reflection of the ship.

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013
Arjuna

Deftly sidestepping the tension in the room, Arjuna turns to Penelope as he begins to eat. "So, what got you into the business of moving discrete containers around?"

Sounds good to me - Arjuna's just engaging in smalltalk at the moment, and beyond that in the time between scenes he'll be socializing and ingratiating himself on the ship. Wandering around, familiarizing himself, etc.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

Penelope gave Nicodemus an almost weary look. She hadn't mentioned anything about opening the box -- she didn't like coincidences like that. "If I open it, I don't get paid," she said, smiling a little. Where the hell had this guy come from and what was his deal? She thought for a moment about the message she'd gotten, about people trying to intercept the package. Should she mention it to Hunter? He might raise his transport fee if she did, and maybe not unjustifiably.

"I'm not normally in quite this business," she said, answering Arjuna. "Normally I import specialty goods that are hard to come by outside the central planets." Or hard to come by anywhere, in a lot of cases. "But I got a very good offer, and I'm used to space travel anyway, so I took it. Normally I'm more of a... procurement contractor, you'd call me." She'd more or less dodged the question, though, so she added: "I got into it by... well, I'm not really sure. I came out here with a business degree and not a whole lot of money, so I did a couple small import deals to get some credit in a hurry. After a while I just kept doing it." She shrugged. "Pays the bills."

I'm cool with you ending the scene whenever.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
pre:

Junos IV
Inner Sphere, D4 Sector
Moon of the gas giant Junos, third planet orbiting the white giant P98K, colloquially named as Aclis
Continents: 4
Surface water coverage: 54%
Average temperatures: 12-45°
Surface gravity: 0.9G
Current Forecast: 32°C, 19% chance of rain and high humidity.

Junos lies within the habitable zone for its star, which means that its moons have the potential to maintain liquid water. 
Its fourth moon is however the only one with sufficient mass and atmospheric composition to maintain human life. 
Because of its mass it has a slightly lighter gravity than human norm and its atmosphere is denser. 
It has lush and dense forests, but favours less large creatures as a result and much of the animals larger than a domestic terrestrial cat have been imported 
or specifically tailored for the environment. 
The weather consists of three seasons which are a hot season, a cooler wet season and a warm stormy season. 
During the stormy season traffic from the surface to the spaceport is complicated by dangerous winds and electrical activity and travel is discouraged during this time. 
As Junos IV is geologically relatively calm, it has a larger amount of public transport infrastructure under the surface. 
Additionally most structures tend to feature few openings to outside, to prevent debris from entering or other damage occurring during the stormy season.

Capital: Corinth
States: Corin, Formel, Moimei.
Population: 3.2 Billion

Corinth is the largest city and the one most in tune with intergalactic society. 
Corin has 30% more trade and tourism income due to its proximity to the Space Ladder connecting it to the space port. 
As such it features many amenities and conveniences targeted towards offworlders as well as locals. 
Formal and Moimei are more distinctly Jovun and visitors may need to acquire a translator protocol, or hire a personalised guide if they wish to visit. 
Corinth has over three thousand years of history and was one of the earlier colonies to establish economic independence from Old Terra. 
Unfortunately successive data storage technology upgrades have lost a lot of old information from earlier periods. 
Corinth features many institutions with an intergalactic focus and travellers are sure to find something that meets their own particular needs and interests.
The rest of the trip passed uneventfully, there were no engine troubles or other technical or mechanical difficulties. More thankfully for the crew and passengers their dreams, for those who had them, remained somewhat less remarkable. They arrived and processed through the standard docking procedures. MAVOC and Hunter had contacted ahead from Sarissa station and so much of the paperwork had already been finalised; docking with the station involved only a small wait to receive a flight path and clearance code for their time at the station. Currently the group had a number of options. While Penelope would need to try to contact the Professor and potentially descend to the surface, the others could remain aboard the ship or visit the space port. The space port was in fact larger than Sarissa station and much more targeted towards tourism and shopping, allergies and other issues made it not an uncommon situation for a crew to prefer to take time off aboard a sealed and controlled environment instead of a planetary surface.

Penelope: As expected, the final segment of your transmission decoded itself and gave you further instructions.

Penelope, please wait for me at the Legio Café located on the corner of C and D blocks in sector 3 in Corinth. I shall contact you before my arrival, if I do not message you please visit the university and ask for me in person there. My assistant has been given instructions in case of an emergency.

Hunter: You will need to keep an eye out for spirits trying to hitch a ride, but you should be okay to leave that until your final pre-flight checks on departure. At the moment though if you plan to visit the surface you need to consider if you're going to introduce yourself to the local packs. If you're passing through and not hanging around you can probably get away with it. However if they catch you 'loitering' or infringing on their territories they might get a bit unpleasant.

Arjuna: When you entered Live Space, being within a certain range of a planet (in this case the gas giant, which gave you some time to consider your actions) you received a message through your tattoos. It was simple and cryptic, which was potentially a good sign. It meant you were on the right track, whatever it was, and the Order trusted you to get what needed to be done for now.

[We have sensed a great conflux of probabilities on Jovun. Three months ago we lost an agent there. Her last message to us was to inform us of a vision she had divined from the swirling maelstrom of fates there. 'A column shakes, while an overlowing pot threatens to fall and crash upon the ground.' A force blocks further attempts to divine anything, it is alien in nature. Be prepared for potential Abyssal forces.]

Sammi, Nicodemus: There is nothing unusual or specific for your characters as of right now.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Nicodemus

Nicodemus was quite relieved when they made planetfall (moonfall, rather), and made to slink off as soon as it was safe. Half a week onboard a small ship with nothing and no-one to drink would drive even the most stable vampire utterly batty, and Nicodemus wasn't exactly stable.

First things first though; he had landed, so his first priority was contacting the Semioticians and see if there was a local branch for him to get in touch with and exchange information. Second priority was, if he could find one, was to catch himself some critters and have a quick snack (human blood would be better, but best not to start eating the locals until he'd identified some safe places to feed).

Since we're somewhere vaguely civilized, gonna try and find some form of communication device and get a hold of my Contacts, and see if there's any Semioticians (or, barring that, at least some Acolytes) about. Then gonna go, I dunno, eat some puppies or something, since by now Nicodemus is probably a little thirsty.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

In many respects Sammi was thankful for the uneventfulness of the remainder of their trip. It gave her a chance to get used to having the passengers on board. That and to acclimatise to the knowledge that Hunter could turn into a big fluffy doggie at the drop of a hat. Her research had shown her that he was capable of more dangerous forms. But Hunter had been quick to assure her that transformation was voluntary. She really hoped that was true.

Penelope was quite nice, if a little guarded, she didn't seem to like to drop her business like personality for anything. So actually getting to know her was a little tricky. But Sammi didn't mind. It was just nice to practice talking to someone new who wasn't a bucket. That's not to say there wasn't a few slip ups along the way. But for the most part Sammi came to like Penelope

The Doctor was a different matter. Sammi knew he wasn't completely human. But her ignorance to his actual condition left her feeling more uncomfortable around him then she normally would be. She still wasn't sure if he was some kind of assassin come to hurt Hunter. Leading to her watching him closely whenever he was in the room with others. But when the two of them were on their own, Sammi found her skin crawling with mistrust. Out of the tree passengers Sammi found it hardest to relax around him.

The other new face Sammi found it difficult to relax around was Nicodemus. Or Nico' as Sammi had come to think of him. It was simply down to his twitchy behaviour. Like some kind of nervous empathic wavefront, Nico' made Sammi increasingly uncomfortable. It was like he was yawning and Sammi couldn't stop herself copying him. Only less with yawning and more with shyness and poor social skills. He didn't seem like a bad man, just... uncomfortable in his own skin.

Sammi found herself spending actual time outside of the engine room. Small bursts of exploration outside of her most sacred haven. Never more then an hour at most. Sometimes she would sit in the common area with the passengers. Making food and conversing with them. Larger conversations she'd sit on the sideline of, and just listen. The other times she would sit in the cockpit, and stare out into open space. If Hunter was there she'd sit close to him, occasionally she would ask questions which occurred to her. Questions about Werewolves, Space travel, piloting, his past. For every answer he gave she would give him an answer in return about whatever he would ask her.

By the time they'd arrived at the Moon, Sammi had gained what she thought was a basic grasp of the Occult. She was by no means an expert and many things remained a mystery to her. But she knew enough to finally say, she knew what a Werewolf and a Vampire were.

A place this large was bound to have a Changeling population, possibly even representatives of more then one court. Heck it might even play host to a court! She didn't know if she was going to, but If she was going to step outside of the ship Sammi would have to work out how to contact the locals and make introductions. She didn't want a repeat of last time. She'd caused enough trouble already.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter

Hunter sighed as he sat in the cockpit. He didn't want to admit it but having Cyril around at least numbed the boredom and loneliness of these trips. Now he was alone in the cockpit.
With his thoughts, a psychopathic AI, and whatever songs are hot on the radio.

So maybe he pushed the engines a little hot getting to the moon, Sammi could handle it. Definitely.

The AR readout flickering into his field of vision informed him that the moon had 9/10ths standard gravity. Which was more than enough when you let your ship go on auto-pilot everywhere, but Junos IV had an actual honest-to-gods atmosphere and large open expanses of ground, it meant he actually got to fly. So he would have to feel out the gravitational distortions himself, adjust the thrusters manually to compensate, keep the torsional stresses from ripping the ship apart. Were he in a less human shape his tail would have been wagging.

He glided the gangly ship into the dock like a landing bird, barely even stressing the hydraulics on the landing struts as the ship settled down onto the ground. He spun around in his chair with a cheer, very grateful that the walls were reinforced and soundproofed. It would take at least a half an hour for MAVOC to finish the negotiations with the port authority for disembarking clearance for the crew, which was nice, since he still had some unfinished business to attend to. He paused just short of the bridge's exit though, to add one final addendum.

"MAVOC, take a look on IM.GAL to see if there are any Uratha packs in the area, and send my standard greeting. It's not polite to park your spaceship on someone's backyard without at least saying hello. Direct any responses to my comm."

After that he walked out into the commons to find Arjuna and Nicodemus, informing them both that he'd like to speak with them in the Med bay, separately, of course.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

Penelope carefully loaded the last bullet into her revolver, snapping the weapon shut with a practiced motion. They might have terraforming, FLT capability and AIs, but the weapon she held in her hand had stayed mostly the same for a very long time. Making sure the safety was on, she slipped the weapon into the holster hanging on the inside of her waistband. Once she had her jacket on, it was concealed at the small of her back.

She looked at herself in the mirror -- almost exactly the way she'd looked upon coming aboard. If a little better rested. She checked her handheld, checking the appointment she had already memorised. More for the sake of reassurance than because she thought she'd really forgotten. While she was looking at it, she went ahead and arranged for the rest of Hunter's money to find its way to his account. Now she was ready to go -- sadly, there was still about 30 minutes to kill before that could happen.

Penelope went out into the commons. She could see that Hunter was already talking with the other two passengers, so she didn't try to engage him in pre-departure pleasantries just yet. Instead, she just said: "You should have the rest of your fee within the day, Captain," before taking a seat in an unoccupied chair. Truthfully, even if there might be someone out to get her cargo, she was looking forward to stepping out into something with an atmosphere again. There was just something about being back on a lunar colony that made her want to be at ease.

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013
Arjuna

The trip had been pleasant for the most part, exchanging smiles and niceties with everyone and settling into the ship. He let himself be open with them, appearing unguarded, but never really offering much in the way of who he is or what he is doing outside the fact that he's a former military doctor and a formally devout member of a religion he'd rather not discuss.

That is, until the message came through. Then he retreated to his quarters to examine the message and formulate a plan of action. While he was a student of the Fates, his mind was honed by military efficiency to be practical rather than nonsensical. This divination sounded political, an unstable situation with power hungry leaders at the top. The exact nature, however, of who these politicians are, and what they are angling at, will have to be discovered. As well, find out why this pillar is unstable and what exactly the vase may be filled with.

He was preparing to read the fates on the moon when he first heard Hunter's request for a conversation and sighed to himself, not sad or dejected - more conciliatory the will of his situation. "Render unto Caesar..."

He pulled his robe back on, adjusted his scarf, and headed toward the medical bay with nothing else.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter

The captain props himself up on a counter and remotely closes the door behind Arjuna.

"Things have been somewhat edgy as of late so I postponed our talk. But we're on land now so I'm afforded the time."

He pauses to clear his throat.

"Now then, I let you ride for free on the goodwill of looking after my crewmate, but my goodwill has limits, and the free ride is over. What are your intentions, Doctor? Why are you here and what are you planning on doing?"
His gaze isn't overtly hostile, though Arjuna is reminded of the territorial behavior of wolves.
"I'd be willing to keep you on as a passenger for the right fee and assurances of your good behavior. Or you could join up. Lord knows we could use a full time doctor if things go bad. But I won't have my crew serving two masters, and yours seem insistent from what you've told me. If those options aren't to your liking, it so happens there is a nice world with a real atmosphere outside."

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013
Arjuna
Arjuna bows deferentially. "I understand, sir. Things have been moving quite quickly and without much pretense as of late. It has even left me befuddled and overwhelmed. I seek to bring no harm to you nor your crew and ship, and would quite enjoy the opportunity to serve alongside you as I feel a sense of completion when I can use my unique skills for the betterment of friends and compatriots. It is, in fact, what first lead me into the military schools when I was a child."

Arjuna finds a place to sit down and relaxes slowly. "I will, however, be serving a second master. A distant master with little input on my life for the most part. In order to pay for my studies, I am a research fellow with the schools I went to on my home planet. They have a way of getting a hold of me and asking me to do things for them in the interests of furthering their studies of space. It was, in fact, their request that I find you and offer my services as a doctor. I am not sure why, but my assumption is that they're planning on asking you to do something or ferry someone for them and would like to see how you operate as a captain. For the majority of my time, however, I am in what you might call private practice."

Arjuna pauses for a moment, then stands up and undoes his robe, revealing his armor again. "And, as well, as an offer of brotherhood, I should remind you that I am, in fact, a military doctor and do have combat training should you require it of me. This is flex-suit armor that gives me modest protection from small arms and, in my suitcase, I have a disassembled marksmanship rifle. The last gifts of my school when I graduated."

The Perfect Moment - Lying Through His Teeth: 7d10h8 5
Arjuna radiates a kind of awful weakness, like he's said more than is comfortable, and pleads softly with his eyes. Hunter may have noticed that Arjuna was dancing around some aspect of who he worked for, or why Hunter is so interesting to them, but the sudden increase in brotherly love quickly wiped that out. He sees Arjuna as a military man, young and in debt, and without a war to fight. This was a job, but he could tell Arjuna liked him. And, well, maybe Arjuna isn't so unlikeable on his own.

He quickly forgets about Arjuna trying to hide anything important - if it was important, Arjuna would tell him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Nicodemus

...Or not. Captain wants a word, well, he'd get a word. Considering the various gruesome alternatives that could come about from saying 'no', Nicodemus was inclined to shove other priorities aside for the moment, even if his Beast grumbled at the wait between meals.

As such, Nicodemus nodded his aquiescence to Hunter's summons, and politely let Arjuna go first; seniority amongst passengers and all that rot.

'Alright, then, new priorities; talk to the Captain, Don't Get Murdered, make contact, eat some strays.', he thought, mentally revising his list of activities for the evening.

Waiting for his turn to talk with Hunter, he turned to face the other occupants of the commons with a slightly pained smile, and sighed. "So...asking this, uh, under the assumption that you...well...all know the captain better than I do, should, um...should I be concerned that he wants to, er, 'talk' with Arjuna and me, in private, before we even disembark?"

• Locked thread