Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only LMG I've got right now is the RPK, and I basically just use that as a semi-auto rifle with a bigger magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Does anyone kill people they don't need, to make room for other survivors with potentially useful stuff? And how do you do it?

I thought, I'll leave them behind anyway once I switch maps, so I'll try and give them a fair chance. I picked a jaded, alcoholic, total lush, soldier guy, with absolutely no useful stuff whatsoever, loaded him up with two-by-fours, the loudest revolver I could find, some pills and snacks, and send him to do all the poo poo I usually avoid. First, another drunk of my group wants to go kill a juggernaut. We jump in the oldest, loudest muscle car I can find, attract half the map and the big un, my drinking buddy pulls aggro, and a few miraculous revolver shots later the first juggernaut falls. He's hurt, but we both survived.

Then I go on a besieged mission. The lucky bastard didn't even get a juggernaut spawn.

I also had 4 infestations near my base. I clear the first two, hop into my V8 to drive to the next house, hit a horde, then a big un, car goes up in flames and I bail out. My last 2x4 breaks while I stumble away chucking my final consumables. The juggernaut somehow disappears into the woodwork, and I decide I need more 2x4's, the base is close-by anyway. Grabbing more snacks, trucker pills and morphine, I head back to the juggernaut. Dancing round the exploded wreck of my car, the jugger goes down with one bullet left.

Now I don't know whether I want to kill this guy anymore.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I tend to deliberately let lovely characters get swarmed if I need to make room, but the tale of that drunken, ennui-filled soldier is enough to make me think he deserves to live.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Sorry I keep asking the same stupid question over and over. I need to play it myself.

Basically; I've only played lifeline so how does breakdown compare?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 5, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

NeoSeeker posted:

So Breakdown is the best for freeroaming, resource gathering and base building? And it has the biggest world?

Breakdown has the same map as the base game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

NeoSeeker posted:

Sorry I keep asking the same stupid question over and over. I need to play it myself.

Less guns. Less structure. More smashy-looty-melee-vroomy fun.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

NeoSeeker posted:

You can zipline between bases at Breakdown 20.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pander posted:

Less guns. Less structure. More smashy-looty-melee-vroomy fun.

Less guns?

Because I mean, the first thing I did was run up to the military camp and pillage me some 100 round LMGs.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

OwlFancier posted:

Less guns?

Because I mean, the first thing I did was run up to the military camp and pillage me some 100 round LMGs.

Less emphasis on guns. Fewer assault rifles. More pistols. Generally less ammo. That's not to say you can't stockpile yourself into a libertarian wet dream if you so choose.

The waves you face at your base will always be a large scale hoard coming in, so firing a gun doesn't matter. The walls and your teammates are the buffer from the zombies. You don't have quite the same buffer in breakdown, and if you have the same number of zombies coming at you, you're probably hosed.

On a whim I took a random girl out with a python to pop some heads and earn the "cop" achievement. I think it's breakdown 6. Oh my god. I got so many zombies investigating the gunfire. Trying to actually use anything unsilenced is drat near suicidal.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I gotta say, it must be kind of awkward at my base, what with all of the guys there who lost their virginity to Lucy Cormoran... At least the others are bonding over the fact that they all got treehouses when they were six years old.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pander posted:

Less emphasis on guns. Fewer assault rifles. More pistols. Generally less ammo. That's not to say you can't stockpile yourself into a libertarian wet dream if you so choose.

The waves you face at your base will always be a large scale hoard coming in, so firing a gun doesn't matter. The walls and your teammates are the buffer from the zombies. You don't have quite the same buffer in breakdown, and if you have the same number of zombies coming at you, you're probably hosed.

On a whim I took a random girl out with a python to pop some heads and earn the "cop" achievement. I think it's breakdown 6. Oh my god. I got so many zombies investigating the gunfire. Trying to actually use anything unsilenced is drat near suicidal.

I generally give everyone at base some sort of awesome gun, so that no matter how much trouble comes their way, they can murder N+1 zombies.

suboptimal posted:

I gotta say, it must be kind of awkward at my base, what with all of the guys there who lost their virginity to Lucy Cormoran... At least the others are bonding over the fact that they all got treehouses when they were six years old.

You did see us all discussing our totally legit zombie survival plants earlier, right? That sounds like a perfectly understandable population makeup of the survivors.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I generally give everyone at base some sort of awesome gun, so that no matter how much trouble comes their way, they can murder N+1 zombies.

Outside of the person in the sniper tower, your buddies only fire when you fire. It's not always ideal for zombie murdering.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pander posted:

Outside of the person in the sniper tower, your buddies only fire when you fire. It's not always ideal for zombie murdering.

Not ideal but I have a lot of trouble getting people to consistently man the tower with a decent weapon, short of giving almost everyone at the base a decent weapon.

If you give them all something with a good capacity, power, or accuracy (pick two) they will generally hold their own I find.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pander posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/33/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

beats for junkies posted:

Then they shouldn't ask for my help. :colbert: Getting lit on fire is like a rite of passage for my survivors.

It actually wasn't quite that bad. I think I only burned one of the guys once because he wouldn't stop barricading one of the windows in a room, even when a horde broke through the other window and started pouring in, so I rolled out of the room and hurled a molotov back into it (and I did see the "Trust lost: Ally set on fire" message), then shotgun-blasted the room to get any stragglers. And I set myself on fire a couple of times because of the splash from the fire trap things that I'm forgetting the name of.

The only mod I'm using right now is Brant's Military Surplus, which adds the DLC weapons to the other game modes. In addition, Breakdown weapons are no longer twice as likely to spawn. Also:

Trying to find that, I stumbled upon the SoD Nexus (I was just using the official forum and didn't even know there was a State of Decay Nexus). Luckily, I haven't stumbled across anything terrible like a "White Marcus" mod, but I didn't look too hard. Gazing into the abyss and all. Anyway, Upgrade Built-in Facilities sounds like something you might be interested in. I am, now that I've seen it. :)

Unrelated to mods, I can't believe it took me until a few days ago to see the skull in the State of Decay logo. The round curves in the wings are the eye sockets, the tail feathers are the teeth, and the bit in the middle is the nose.

Install the crossbow mod and you'll never want to use anything else. There's a patch for it to work with Mil Surplus.

Red Mundus posted:

I did the same but quadrupled the number of zombie spawns.

It's insane. I basically can't scavenge entire houses and on several occasions needed to pack poo poo and leave asap when zeds started lining up at the door. It's so fun because it actually means that I get to use some of the items and skills I never would've like diving through windows and even barricading to buy more time. Mines and explosives are a good send for hordes. I'll enter a house quickly clear it and since I'm making all this racket 20+ zeds will slowly shuffle towards you and start breaking doors and windows. It's really intense. Need to mod out running and special zeds like that poster did though otherwise it just gets annoying.

I want to know why jostling a jar of pickles while rummaging through a fridge attracts every zombie in the tri-state area, but hammering on a few dozen nails doesn't.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Is there any mod that lets you make a base at the T-Rex gas station yet? :(
http://www.trexpresso.com/

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Saint Sputnik posted:

I want to know why jostling a jar of pickles while rummaging through a fridge attracts every zombie in the tri-state area, but hammering on a few dozen nails doesn't.

That's a really special jar of pickles and Zed doesn't want anyone messing with it. I think you'll find nothing (artillery strikes, random pipebombs, firecrackers) will piss of Zed more than messing with his pickles.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

beats for junkies posted:

Unrelated to mods, I can't believe it took me until a few days ago to see the skull in the State of Decay logo. The round curves in the wings are the eye sockets, the tail feathers are the teeth, and the bit in the middle is the nose.

I am doing an LP of the game and one of the very first things my co-commentator said was that there's a skull in the logo. I was very mad because as much as I've played the game and thought the logo was neat I'd never seen that.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
As soon as someone hinted there's a skull in the logo that's all I see now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I tried to install a bunch of mods linked to in this thread, and it appears to have broken my game a bit. Is there a way to manually remove mods, or should I uninstall the game and then reinstall it?

Wish there was some kind of mod manager that allowed you to choose what you want active or otherwise streamline the process.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

suboptimal posted:

I tried to install a bunch of mods linked to in this thread, and it appears to have broken my game a bit. Is there a way to manually remove mods, or should I uninstall the game and then reinstall it?

Wish there was some kind of mod manager that allowed you to choose what you want active or otherwise streamline the process.

Most of my mods don't even seem to work. Brant's Military Surplus definitely does, but ones like rebalancers and game tweaks do nothing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Well, a few seconds of Googling and blam: http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/modmanager/

I'll have to give that a go.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Is there a mod that lets you play Breakdown on the Lifeline map? I really enjoy that one and I wouldn't even care if it restricted you only to the one base each level.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That would be sweet, but I haven't seen one yet.

Also, Nexus Mod Manager trip report:
It's fairly easy to use, but one common problem is that mods (including QMJS) aren't zipped in a way that the program likes. There are ways around it that take maybe a minute to do, and once you do that, you're golden. I'm going to test it out with more mods and see if there are any more shortcomings.

What I really wish for is a way to force mods into playing nice with each other. Like, I'd love to try out that crossbow mod, but I'm very leery of having mods that both try to modify the weapons database lest it produces a conflict that breaks one, both, or the entire game.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

suboptimal posted:

That would be sweet, but I haven't seen one yet.

Yeah, it's odd. One would think that this would be a pretty common suggestion. Even if it was impossible to implement for some hard-coded reason (still possible), I would still expect to see that feature being requested or talked about somewhere on the internet. Googling gave me no relevant results, aside from a single post in this very thread a few month back where someone else mentioned it. :v:

Anyone able to elaborate on the possibility of modding this feature in? (using Lifeline's map for Breakdown mode.) I don't know what would be involved, so if it was, say, technically possible, but would involve a poo poo ton of work to implement, then that would help explain why nobody has done it already or even attempted it yet.

e: I actually found a couple that do the reverse of what I was looking for, but that's as close as I've gotten. Also they're both months out of date and probably never updated anyway. Too bad, because they still seemed pretty cool.
https://forums.undeadlabs.com/threads/mod-military-replacement-for-breakdown.43694/#post-535225
https://forums.undeadlabs.com/threads/mod-mout-interrupted-v0-1.39993/

e2: welp
https://forums.undeadlabs.com/threads/custom-maps-for-breakdown.43413/#post-531272

Impractical to the point of impossibility. :negative:

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 10, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Is it possible to mod this game? I'd love to see a love-child between lifeline and breakdown. One that not only looks good but is also an incredibly interesting thing with loads of guile and suprises.

Not an ugly halfassed child that you wonder if it was an abortion survivor or not.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Modding yes, there's quite a few at Nexus and on the official forums, plus one or two made by thread goons. Merging Lifeline and Breakdown is something that has been desired for awhile (I suspect HiroProtagonist was referring to me when he said "Googling gave me no relevant results, aside from a single post in this very thread a few month back where someone else mentioned it." because it was pretty much my first response to Lifeline :v:) but it seems, from his post right above yours, that it's not really something modders can feasibly do.

I'd be surprised if UL miss a trick like that though, they'd just need to add a handful of bases to Lifeline and then do whatever fixing is needed, but it would give a huge shot in the arm to Breakdown. If it doesn't show up at some point I'd be surprised, but maybe it's not much easier for them to do than it would be for us.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Just give us lifeline in the previous map and we'll all be happy... Well including everything left out from breakdown as well, like being able to recruit normal civs instead of evac-ing them out.

Also a nice endless mission system would be cool too. The only problem would be coming up with scenarios besides the ones staring you in the face (supplies and other essentials). Evac of important people or civs who want out.

They should give us a reason to patrol besides supplies. Finding survivors who didn't happen to have a radio.. etc, just a bunch of randomly generated events that keep the world populated and playable for basically an unlimited amount of time.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 10, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus Christ lifeline. I've got one soldier who keeps standing where he will be the first one to be ripped apart by ferals. Can you guess which one it is?

Its loving sasquatch, who in my playthrough is always ill. "badass" my rear end

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
Is there a consensus on the best way to use supplies and outposts? Such as to get the maximum returns possible.

My problem is I guess I'm just bad at scavenging because I always run out of certain materials, and then dig myself into a hole looking for them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

From what I recall, State of Decay is kind of a bitch to mod due to a weird file structure. All I wanted to do was remove Special zombies from spawning aside from "Kill the Special Zed yall!" missions, but nope :(

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bustycops posted:

Is there a consensus on the best way to use supplies and outposts? Such as to get the maximum returns possible.

My problem is I guess I'm just bad at scavenging because I always run out of certain materials, and then dig myself into a hole looking for them.

Outposts barely seem to give materials, it's best just to learn where to scavenge and to use Lilly's ability to find specific resources.

I try to put my outposts on construction materials, but for the most part I just place them where convenient.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Bustycops posted:

First order of outposts is to provide a safe area of control around your base. Once that is achieved, providing safe areas in places you are looting is very useful as well (Spencers Mill, downtown, fairgrounds, etc). After that, there are a few configurations for the resources you can try. Here are some good guidelines:

At least one medicine outpost, this resource is most rare.
1-2 ammo outposts. These are good for your roaming outposts, as outposts are ammo if no other resource is available.
As many construction materials outposts as possible. These feed the other outposts. Each outpost requires 1 CM to produce the 3 of it's type. CM Outposts produce 2 CM (-1CM +3CM= 2CM)
Don't bother with food outposts unless you really need it, or have no other choice due to positioning.
Fuel outposts don't work (or didn't, maybe now with TU4? who knows, useless, you'll get plenty of fuel from biodiesel)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Dandywalken posted:

From what I recall, State of Decay is kind of a bitch to mod due to a weird file structure. All I wanted to do was remove Special zombies from spawning aside from "Kill the Special Zed yall!" missions, but nope :(

Yeah I haven't had much success with the one mod I've been trying to use, too. I wanted to stop displaying game hints (I have no idea why the game's options just won't let me do that) and there's a mod which says it does so, but the most I've been able to get it to do is remove the colored bar behind the hint, but it still shows the hint text.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

skoolmunkee posted:

Yeah I haven't had much success with the one mod I've been trying to use, too. I wanted to stop displaying game hints (I have no idea why the game's options just won't let me do that) and there's a mod which says it does so, but the most I've been able to get it to do is remove the colored bar behind the hint, but it still shows the hint text.

Are you using this one? No More Tutorial Tips; it works fine for me, does exactly what it says it does and was easy to install. It's nice not to get newbie tips on level 20something of Breakdown.

On the subject of modding, I want to change the durability of a couple of weapons (I want machetes and maybe kukris to have 5 durability instead of 3) but I can't find a mod which does it and I'm clueless. Anyone who can help me out?

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Bustycops posted:

Just wanted to point out in Lifeline there are enough outpost slots to have 2 around your base for defense and the rest on military assets, drone stations etc.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Gropiemon posted:

Just wanted to point out in Lifeline there are enough outpost slots to have 2 around your base for defense and the rest on military assets, drone stations etc.

When I'm at Snyder or the treefort I like having outposts generally create a straight line into Marshall in case I want to run into town to grab a pickup or something. Also, since most missions spawn near you, it creates a number of safe zones.

I find when I'm out scavenging far away I'm just looking for trunkable loot bags now, so I don't really bother creating outposts in Spencer's Mill or the military base. Just smash n grab.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Pander posted:

I find when I'm out scavenging far away I'm just looking for trunkable loot bags now, so I don't really bother creating outposts in Spencer's Mill or the military base. Just smash n grab.

It depends on your scavenging method. I usually set up an outpost first, and then spend a day clearing out all the loot that can be picked up, taking it back to the outpost. You can accumulate a lot of good stuff & influence quickly this way. I've not really played Breakdown with the ability to put stuff in the trunk... I think I would still do it this way though, but also load up the truck with full bags. It's different in Lifeline, there are usually too many time sensitive missions to really spend much time just collecting loot.

It really does help though when higher up, gives you a direction you can run where you have a reasonable expectation the zombies won't be so dense, and if a horde is following you, will be blown up by traps.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

It depends on your scavenging method. I usually set up an outpost first, and then spend a day clearing out all the loot that can be picked up, taking it back to the outpost. You can accumulate a lot of good stuff & influence quickly this way. I've not really played Breakdown with the ability to put stuff in the trunk... I think I would still do it this way though, but also load up the truck with full bags. It's different in Lifeline, there are usually too many time sensitive missions to really spend much time just collecting loot.

It really does help though when higher up, gives you a direction you can run where you have a reasonable expectation the zombies won't be so dense, and if a horde is following you, will be blown up by traps.

I'll set up my outposts all at once with my first survivor, then once she gets tired because its always Amelia Crasman, I'll take the #2 survivor out to hoover up as many supplies and loot as I can in those safe zones. By leaving the area and then coming back, all the zombies that were there originally when you set up the safe zones have despawned, and more don't spawn because its now a safe zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So does the RV mission take a while to generate on higher levels of Breakdown, or what? I'm trying to go from 5-6, have a healthy community of 23 and morale is great. Running the QMJS and Crossbow mods.

I'm really digging the sudden jump in difficulty from 4-5. Some of. My characters' weapons are breaking in combat, namely because they're fighting a lot more. Last night, a ripped bag drew probably around 50 zombies to Erik Tan as he looted a small gas station. It took about five minutes of continuous dodging, fighting and shooting before he could get clear.

Other things-
Whoever suggested thePowerhouse and Edged perks was so right.
-If you have a character with. Death From Above perk, their artillery markers stack. I've been calling in fire missions and banking the marker in case I lose Tan.

• Locked thread