Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Feeble posted:

So what's the general goon consensus on the PC version? I finally got around to buying a pc controller since I just bought :darksouls: on sale and this does look appealing but I've been burned by low quality ports before so I'm kind of hesitant. Also I know next to nothing about it. Would I be right in assuming it's kind of like Day Z mixed with base building and npc management?

Fake edit: Also, does it have multiplayer? Steam page says no but then it is early access so I wasn't sure if that was coming later?

It's... weird. I haven't played the Xbox version, but I'm playing with a controller. I wouldn't put it and Day Z in the same category except they both share zombies. It's really best to go in blind and flail about, the less you know the better. I'd wait for a sale unless modding takes off in the meanwhile.

I had the most fun with the game when I didn't know what the gently caress was going on and was flying by the seat of my pants. Sneaking around at night trying to dodge hordes and loot and oh god they saw me run run run was a lot of fun and very tense. The hands down best moment was when I was hanging outside of my base, looking at the map and I heard a really loving menacing growl. I hammered dodge, just in time to see a zombie fly through the space I'd just occupied. I recovered first and speared it through the skull with a shovel.

As time goes on I'm having less and less fun as I know what to expect from a given situation and it's not nearly as dangerous as I initially thought. Some characters after a few levels can bulldoze through hordes of undead. If you've got an NPC with you it's really hard to die, there's just not enough zombies in most situations to swamp both of you.

A couple of special zombie types are outright dangerous and can gently caress you up, especially if they surprise you or attack at the same time as normal zombies. One in particular can obliterate you even one on one if you screw up your pattern recognition or run out of stamina. The other special zombies are total :effort: and phoned in.

I haven't seen any survivor on survivor fighting at all, either random or story-wise. I was disappointed as in the story there were a couple of likely looking conflicts that just fizzled out. I just tried to kill one of the survivor enclaves you can trade with and shooting them with a grenade launcher did nothing. Dudes just kept on eating their beans.

The NPC management is also :effort:. When people are sad, angry or whatever you get a mission to take them to a nearby building and have a bonding experience smashing up undead together. Then you both go home and the problem is solved. Apparently bad stuff happens if you don't take care of the problem but hosed if I know what the bad stuff is. Low morale is apparently bad, but I haven't had any issues keeping morale high.

Your characters will leave the base on their own initiative and do... stuff? I haven't run into one randomly that was looting or just exploring, but sometimes a mission will spawn and you have to find them/save them/buddy up to clear out a house/kill a special zombie. The randomly generated missions get very repetitive very fast.

I know this sounds like it was written by someone having no fun at all, but I reckon I got my $20 worth out of the game. It's just really hard to recommend because $20 buys you a lot of computer games these days. I'm hanging out for modding now. At the moment it's very limited, but someone claims they've made a hard mod and I think I'll give that a shot next.

Also yeah the recent patch changing night from 'oh god so dark can't see loving poo poo is that a zombie?' to 'daytime with a blue filter' was really loving lame. I thought dark was a bit too dark but now it's far too bright.

Also gently caress Alan. I wish you could murder in cold blood, he'd be first in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Cantorsdust posted:

For those with the PC version: I've done some digging, and it looks like most game data is located in the .pak files in the /Game folder. They're openable with 7zip, and they're full of .xml files. It doesn't look like modding would be very difficult.

edit: some files don't extract properly. A forum post provides a different tool that works.

I thought the issue with modding is that when there is both an XML file and a BMD or BDM or whatever the other type of file is by the same name, the game will ignore the XML and go off the data in the BDM file. The BDM files are apparently somewhat editable using a hex editor.

I'm not sure if I would give my left nut for a mod that disables the mini-map and increases the size of hordes, but it'd be a close thing. Been playing with that hard mod and I can't really tell if it's actually harder or I'm just significantly better at the game. I drove around in a police car with the sirens going and it kinda felt like more blips were showing up on the map but :shrug:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Karl Sharks posted:

I wonder if any mods will come out that can edit home sites. It really irks me not being able to upgrade the built in facilities of places.

I'm not 100% as it's been a while since I looked at it briefly but I'm pretty sure it is possible. Either by editing the home site to have a normal version of the building or by editing the built in building to have an upgrade path.

I know you can edit the time, cost and produced items from building actions. I was looking at it to do quality of life mods like producing 3x as many silencers for 3x cost and time. Also stopping EVERY BUILDING EVER making you go pick up random item X to be built in a reasonable timeframe.

Could also do new interactions like producing home made ammo etc, but I would try and add a new trait like armourer to offset it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Karl Sharks posted:

Could you, or someone else, point to the right tools/methods to mod it? It seems like it'd be a simpler game to edit with stuff like that compared to other full fledged games, but I have no idea where to start. And Googling is just giving stuff about mod suggestions and stuff about sharing saves.

I'll have a crack at it tonight. The trick is going to be remembering where I found the stuff and then learning a hex editor. I think the files were in the gamedata.pax, and then in the class3\rts folder. I think homesites.xml was one that defined the home sites, but I could be way off.

If you want to have a go, some dude made a tool to make extracting files more straightforward.

If you see a .xml file and a .bmd file, you need to edit the .bmd file with a hex editor. Those .xmls were references used to create the .bmd, but the game only reads the .bmd file.

I've been using Notepad++ to edit .xmls, I haven't used a hex editor in like 10 years so I'll have to try one at random and pick it up as I go.

e: editing text files is about the limits of my modding capabilities so this should be fun!

2nd e: yeah way off on the location. Inside gamedata.pak, there's libs\class3\rts\facilities.xml and facilities.win.bmd. Facilities defines the buildings and their upgrade paths, but holy poo poo making heads and tails of it is sending me insane. :psyduck:

3rd e: I couldn't find a file that defined what is in each homesite. I was thinking of homesitelimits.xml and homesiteinfo.xml, neither of which covers what's in a base.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 2, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Try the 'contact survivors' option on the radio room building, takes about 20 minutes and 100 influence and just might net you a few more survivors. It can fail though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Karl Sharks posted:

I wonder if any mods will come out that can edit home sites. It really irks me not being able to upgrade the built in facilities of places. Doesn't make much sense considering how much space there is inside the warehouse. Surely you could fit some munitions machines in there or something.

I'm about 99.9% positive this is possible when halfway decent modding tools are released. Or just a compiler to turn the .xml into .bmd files. I haven't found a file that dictates what is in the homesites but should be able to either copy the upgrade or destroy actions onto the built in variant. I'm not sure it can be done with a hexeditor in the meanwhile, because I don't know what hex editors are capable of or how to use them effectively. I'm looking at facilities.xml, which can be found in libs\class\rts folder after extracting gamedata.pak.

I haven't found what dictates the chance of a building generating a mission to go pick up a novelty item to avoid construction delays. :(

I found radiooptions.xml, which controls the costs & cooldown times of the radio actions. Not yet sure if you could make the call ins use resources instead of, or in addition to, influence. I'd like constructing outposts to cost construction materials personally. I can't remember where now but last night I found where mines destroying hordes gives community morale. I would drop the +morale as it seems a really really good thing to stand back and let mines deal with hordes. I found functions to hide/enable the radar, but again I'm not sure if it would be possible to tie disabling/enabling the minimap to a building action to make it an in game toggle. I might be able to swap the radar graphics files for hordes, and their vision cones, to some thing transparent in theory but good luck defending your base if all you know is that hordes are out their somewhere and not even a vague direction to defend... but that could be its own kind of fun.

Minor story spoilers: Sgt. Tam's artillery happy time. Cost 1 influence, 10 second cooldown. :getin: Also, there's a radio call in for Lily to refresh stamina. I don't think I've seen this in game, has anyone else?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Returning to game and finding all my survivors only have one bullet left in their gun maddening. At least reload you jerks. :argh:

Thanks for answering my previous question thread!

Story spoilers again:
I took Alan out on a playdate, and let him play with two hordes while I crouched in a bush and watched. Alan pulls the pin on a grenade before he dies. :3:

Before I'd even returned to base, Pastor Will went all Black Fever crazy and killed my two best survivors. One of them was a chemistry expert, the other a tools expert. :suicide:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The one bullet in the gun thing actually seems to be a bug with guns that can be loaded to +1 their clip capacity (i.e. extra bullet in the chamber). It's really annoying because you actually LOSE all the ammo that was in the gun when you switched away from them, which hurts when they've got an AR-15 or something and you lose 30 5.56 rounds for no reason.

If you want to avoid that happening, you can give everyone guns that can't be loaded with an extra bullet like revolvers, but that's kind of a pain.

Thanks dude.

lizzyinthesky posted:

I really hope they get a good mouse-aim function in by 1.0, even with 360 pad I really didn't like shooting.

Yeah I've been totally reliant on the close range autoaim. Press L trigger when they're close and press R trigger half a second later and headshot. Trying to actually aim is horrible even with a controller.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Some of the characters at the Church won't become playable until after certain story missions, no matter how much you butter them up.

Also, for a second playthrough, killing off Marcus, Ed & Maya to get a randomly generated character to play is pretty fun.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

There's three levels to the workshop. Level one is the basic repair guns version, level two repairs the bodywork of cars but not the engines, and level 3 can either be a car workshop that repairs everything or a place to manufacture bombs n' poo poo. The built in workshop in Synders trucking is level two which is the biggest rip off.

Every time I load up this game to play 'just five minutes to test something' I end up playing for an hour. The Alamo is a cool base, and I've just started a car rehabilitation program where I go out, find damaged cars in the wild, nurse them back to health and then release them. :3:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Feeble posted:

I gotta say the central ranch is a really nice base as well. It doesn't have quite as much space as the warehouse but it's very scenic, you can count the number of zombies that are usually wandering the immediate area on one hand and it had the big barn directly across from it that I set up an outpost in that A. Takes care of literally every horde that ever decides to attack my base and B. serves as a fantastic garage for 4-5 extra vehicles.

The only downside is that it's in the middle of nowhere but once you learn to stop following only the roads and instead learn exactly where to cut across fields to get where you want to go it only adds like an extra 30-45 second drive to wherever and it's basically the exact same distance from every corner of the map.

I've stopped building outposts for base defence and started being more proactive in taking out hordes. It's a lot more fun than seeing the 'Traps FTW' message every 30 seconds. It's pretty quick to run over a horde in reverse with the door open, a bit longer but more interesting to take them on in hand to hand if I'm feeling it and can spare the time.

I really like the Alamo because I can just walk outside and I've got plenty of interesting places to explore and sneak around. Also easy access to zombies to punch in the face. People on the forums were saying the Alamo was hard mode but it's cakewalk so far.

I'm enjoying this game a lot more since I stopped playing long sessions, trying to win by getting everything perfectly set up. I started dropping in for an hour, doing a mission or two and having fun then coming back in a few days. Sometimes I'm in the mood to play seriously, other times I'm doing Dukes of Hazard poo poo in the countryside.

A couple of minutes ago I was in a sports car doing donuts in reverse with the horn blaring, just idly running over zombies as they came. I gently nudged a petrol pump. Instant fireball, my guy hurled out of the wrecked car, more dead than alive. Zombies coming in from everywhere. Popped pills and legged it while laughing my rear end off. This game. :3:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The only special I usually have trouble with are the big fuckers, which I just don't know how to deal with. With ferals and SWATs alike, you can nail them early on with one of those shift+space dropkicks then get on top of them before they recover.

Weird. Ferals almost never get knocked down for me. I have to dodge their lunge.

With big fattys, just keep out of arms reach, try and stand next to something. When they charge, move out of the way. Whale on their back while they're stunned.

See also head shots with guns, Molotov cocktails, explosives. All really good at weakening them.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

There were references to a mission about collecting survivors from a plane crash in the files, but I don't think it made it into the game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Romero's only made Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead after the original trilogy. The only Living Dead film Romero made was the original Night, the knockoffs used "of the Living Dead".

So I've got two enclaves in Spencer's Mill, which I wholly control from Kirkman. One is abandoned and the guys likely got killed off in the long long ago. The other has two survivors who I really want to come a few houses down and live with me, but I never get any missions from them. I'm at max trust, but I can't go any higher. Am I going to have to withdraw imperial protection and leave them to fend for themselves without my legions for a bit? I already lost Katie somewhere, I don't want to lose Vanessa and Tom.

Also, how is the Alan mercy killing mission supposed to end? I was supposed to take him to the gun shop in Spencer's Mill and off him, but a juggernaut jumped us out of nowhere and it literally tore him in half. Was that scripted or not? It seems like too big a coincidence, but I got a mission failed.

Haha you're supposed to Old Yeller him, but I like your ending better.

e: Found a mod that I actually like the idea of. It changes Marcus/Ed/Maya into the Wilkerson boys. It's purely cosmetic but I like the idea. Can't wait for modding to get more sophisticated. Alternate storylines would be pretty fun.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 9, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The cars I park out there aren't even smoking, they just have body or tire damage. I have cars parked on those spots and all around them, but nothing changes. I'm at Kirkman right now so I can't upgrade my shop, but it has bonuses for car repair. It's going to take ages to get up enough materials to move to Snyder and set up properly.

Who has enough space for firebombs? I don't even carry snacks to free up that slot. If I carried everything I actually needed I'd never be able to loot anything.

Yah. I even keep a spare outpost slot so I can set up an outpost in the area I'm looting, drop the novelty items off in the storage and then dismantle it and move on.

Although I haven't done that since I modded the game to have 8 outposts at The Alamo. :ironicat:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I made the move to Snyder. Do I need a kitchen for food preservation or will the refrigerated storage take care of that? I never use the food buffs or my master chef and I'd love to free up the slot it's taking.

I just looked in the files so spoilerish but it looks like the game draws random event cards to spice things up. It'll occasionally a bad food event. I wish I could read the odds better to give an exact answer but the bad food event has a few alternatives with different odds. The refrigeration alt is 100 odds looks like it cancels the card. Preservation is 50 odds does the same. Having a good cook is 20 odds to lose 1 food but not get sick, some schlub noticing the food is off by dumb luck and losing 1 food is 25 odds, 2 people getting sick is 25 odds, one person getting sick is 50 odds.

Honestly it seems to me that if you have a large enough population to be in Synder's you probably won't notice the worst case of two people getting sick. If you've got an upgraded medbay their chances of a quick recovery would be awesome. The kitchen is pretty cool though, that feast buff is nice and food is annoyingly common. But not as annoyingly common as meds.

Just quietly some of these events cards are loving harsh. :stare:

Reason posted:

God my people keep dying and pisses me off so I start over. Those big fat zombies always kill me, does anyone have any tips for someone just getting started on this game?

I've been fighting fatties a lot and found that melee attacking them any time they're not stunned or busy snacking on another survivor is futile. Try and stand near a wall or object and get fatty to run at you and step out of the way at the last second to get them to stun themselves. It honestly seems pretty random if it'll work or not but it's easy to jog away and try again. Press sprint + dodge to roll away, and to be safe if they're trying to do that ground pound thing roll away twice.

Some dudes online recommend jump attacks but I keep forgetting to try that so no idea. I would recommend explosives or fireballs if you don't want to melee them, or shooting them in the head if you have a quiet gun. Don't be me and fire off a shotgun in the middle of Marshall when the game is inexplicable spawning shitloads more zombies than usual.

Also thanks heaps to the person that mentioned the bug where manually reloading guns to get the extra bullet in the chamber leads to the ammo count dropping to 1 round when you swap survivors. I've stopped manually reloading, and either firing off all the bullets or reloading at an outpost and I'm saving so much ammo I can justify actually shooting zombies for fun now.

And thanks to the person that mentioned drop kicking ferals. I must've got unlucky and assumed it didn't work. It's been working a treat now.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Trustworthy posted:

Is this an easy adjustment to make?

I'm currently playing a minimalist <8 party member playthough and holing up at the Alamo. I'd really love to have just one extra outpost for use as mobile inventory/restocking station.

That and an extra building space, and the Alamo would be damned near perfect. :)

Adding an OP is a cinch, easier to just do it than to explain how to do it. :v: Can't add building spaces yet though!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7lm31y8bl5peamu/9hzM68q6fx

Grab the zip file in that link. Extract it to (where Steam is installed)\SteamApps\common\State of Decay\Game folder. When it's extracted it should add a libs folder to the Game directory.

I included a backup of the original file. I'm not sure why now. If you want to uninstall it just delete the file. I'm not actually sure if when you'd have to dismantle your fifth outpost before deleting the file, I haven't tested that. :v:

I started off with a minimalist intent... somehow I'm up to 21~ish survivors all crammed into the Alamo and want to see how many I can possibly fit in this fish tank.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Trustworthy posted:

Good strategies include firebombing the fucker, or unloading quite a bit of lead into its skull, preferably from a distance. Bad strategies include trying to melee one solo, and trying to run it over in your car.

I've gotten to play with them a bit more they're easy to melee to death. It's just a matter of finding a good spot to make them stun themselves. The hard part is when a couple of other zombies wander over to play and you have to juggle the lot of them. Heaven help you if a feral joins in.

I wouldn't do this as a new player and I would definitely keep an escape car nearby if attempting it.

I don't think they actually take many headshots to put down, I think they have a bad hitbox/I am bad at aiming.

e: make sure you park the escape car a distance away or creep closer. I keep forgetting zombies will head towards the engine noise from a surprising distance away.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 10, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Collateral Damage posted:

Why does the game keep telling me that I don't have enough storage for food and medicine, even when I'm at like 5/50 food and 10/50 medicine?

Sorry for skipping over you but I remember reading about a bug where if you've ever exceeded a storage limit (maybe only while at the church I'm not sure) the game will never stop. I hate that I hear the message sound and like Pavlov's dog I check my journal and oh hey it's yet another storage message.

Trustworthy posted:

Hey cool, thanks a bunch! I'll DL and give it a shot shortly.

How are you managing 21?! Do you just not give a poo poo about giving everyone beds? In addition to one bedroom I have an infirmary and machine shop; I don't think I could ever bear to sacrifice one of those two. And I'm already a bit frustrated about not having a library.

No worries mate and yep, gently caress 'em, they can sleep in shifts. I don't know if there are any negative consequences to this. :v: I've got the same set up at the Alamo. I have the infirmary inside so that the wounded are sheltered... but really they're the canaries to wake up the guys sleeping on the roof if zombies ever break in.

I keep thinking I should move into Snyders but I really like returning home and driving through the alleys to the parking spaces. It kinda feels like driving the batmobile into the batcave.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I don't think it's possible to mod in extra slots since they have a physical presence in the game, unless you're putting them outside of the wire and risking some zombie snacktime.

Then again, Snyder has a lot of open ground, so maybe you can fit a tent in there.

Not really sure what's possible until proper modding tools are released/created. Someone is working out how to spawn particular buildings and the coordinates system which wasn't possible days ago. That's a good point though, I never really considered what would happen if you put a workshop where the built in kitchen is supposed to be.

Trustworthy posted:

Not that it's possible or that I'm all that sad about lack of slots, but there are a few places around a few safehouses that look like they'd have enough room for more protected expansions. Of course even if you could mod them in, they'd probably create all sorts of dumb pathfinding issues.

The huge warehouse is a super obvious place with the potential for more slots, but there also one or two couple places around the farm, some empty space on the Savani lawn, and I'm fairly certain that you could cram another tent up on the Alamo roof.

Then again, part of the game's intended challenge is having to make those tough decisions with the limited slots you're given, so v:cool:v

edit: On a related note, is it just me, or does the warehouse have a complete and utter lack of character next to most of the other base options? I love the church, the Savani place, the farm, the Alamo, etc., but I just cannot make myself like that big ol' empty sheet metal shoebox.

I didn't like the church, but I did find it hilarious to commando roll in and jump out the windows all the time. It's not just you with the warehouse. So dull. :(

Fatty:

Yeah I've just ignored it. Thanks.

Re: modding, is it possible to mod the base locations to make the built-in locations upgradable, or simply delete them so you can build whatever there?

Fatty just want to play. :saddowns: I wonder if we can mod juggernauts into Dropsy the clown.

Re: modding. Not yet. It looks like an easy copy & paste job to add the destroy building function to built in variants, or add upgrade functions to them, once there's a more sophisticated way to make changes than hex editing. I just want to be able to bulk order silencers. Not that I need this many, but I might. One day. Or be able to request trades by radio. Like spend some influence to potentially force a food for ammo trade.

e: forgot to actually finish my sentence. :durr:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 10, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

On that topic, why can you make incendiary mines with a proximity detonator in the workshop but not petrol bombs? Did they misplace the blueprint for "Put gasoline in a bottle"?

Hahaha never noticed that myself. You might want to report that as a bug to Undead Labs.

Trustworthy posted:

Hey, not to be a pain, but would you mind uploading your modded 8-OP Alamo file as well? I'm curious about a couple mechanics-type things, and would love to back up my saves and do a bit of experimenting. Thanks!

No worries! Same deal as before, unzip it to your Steam\SteamApps\common\State of Decay\Game directory. I made a 10-OP version as well because why not. Go hog wild!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7lm31y8bl5peamu/9hzM68q6fx

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I really enjoyed my time at Kirkman. I think the appeal of the warehouse is that it's never secure unless you cheese it and build a wall of cars on your exposed side. I probably would have moved into Savini but I really want to get a garden and library going. You'll just never build those things without Warehouse or Fairgrounds.

Aren't build-in locations fully upgraded to begin with? I suppose it'd be a different tree for workshops, though.

Did you ever set up in Kirkman? The main entrances are basically a couple windows since you have to turn to actually open the door. I think the biggest thing I miss from church was that you had that climb spot next to the gate instead of having to open it.

Also, this game seriously needs a way to initiate contact with enclaves.

Never tried Kirkmans, but it sounds like I'd love it if only for window smashing. I might move back there as I've almost completely looted Marshall in this game. :sigh: I blame a bug which made the vast majority of houses only have one or two searchable containers. The houses would have resources in them that I couldn't find in any container myself but the scavenging gnomes could.

I really liked that at the church they had platforms behind the walls that the AI would stand on and shoot over the fence if there was an attack.

coyo7e posted:

I made a point to leap through the window next to the storage locker EVERY time I left the church for quite a while, even my roommate noticed it after a while and said, "dude, you must really be pissing off whoever is repairing that fuckin' window."

:smugdog::pipe: "Yeah, I know."

I even got to the point where it stopped repairing itself until I quit and restarted!

High five buddy! gently caress windows.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Huh, I wonder why Snyder doesn't get a level 3 auto shop? The garage at Kirkman is a little dinky handyman's shed, but Snyder is a garage for a professional trucking company.

I was about to make a flippant remark that there are plenty of cars in the SOD world but no actual trucks. And then I stopped and thought how loving awesome it would be to plough through a horde in a huge loving truck and made myself sad that I can't.

E-Tank posted:

Huh, that's weird. When I made it my home base it gave me a level 3 workshop. All my cars would be repaired, entirely.

I really need to double check it in game as I remember it being finicky myself, but Snyders should only repair the body and tires. A proper car workshop should repair body, tires, engine, bumper & doors. When I was at Snyders I remember cars would stay smoking for days, whereas at the Alamo with an upgraded car workshop the whole thing will be pristine exactly at the break of dawn, every dawn.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Honk honk! :uhaul:

(It would be such hell trying to make any turn. I don't get how Marshall can host a trucking company like this when the roads are such poo poo low-density side streets. It'd be cool if passengers rode up on top of the trailer a la the Road Warrior, though)

I got the car forward a few feet but then he jumped off. :( He spawned there for a random bloat hunt mission.

Up to 35 survivors crammed into the Alamo now, still only 8 beds. It's funny watching hordes approach the base to get ganked by a human wave. I've only seen 2 nimble characters so far, not including Sam. One of them died in an event while I was away from base. :smithicide:
Current mission: Make Karen Tolbert the baddest huge axe-wielding rear end that ever lived.

Drinkfist posted:

Just finished the story arcs and got the credits.

10/10 Loved the game even with all the bugs and missing content and being forced to use a controller for the PC Steam version. I only lost one active survivor when I first encountered a Feral but other than that it was smooth sailing with some really fun tight spots. Can't wait for the full PC release, the increased difficulty mode Free DLC and the premise of some modding. Totally worth my 20 bucks.

I did switch to the Fairgrounds when I blew the bridge open just to see how it felt over the Truck Stop and starved myself of building supplies a bit. I didn't realize that I could spec into anything with my survivors until I read the OP here but I didn't miss out on much with that because most of the added skills just make it too easy. I also had a bit of a demographic weirdness with my 16 survivor camp being 13 women and 3 men and I was looking to mainline a dude but that didn't happen because all my powerhouses were female with pink backpacks and hoodies.

A List of Things I said out loud.

Pretty much word for word how my first game went. Sending Ed up to retrieve that watch was a gruelling (awesome) nightmare that was on the brink of disaster. Cowering in a bush while two hordes slowly shamble past going either direction bad.

With the emotes, you can taunt. It attracts zombies from a huge distance and is great for provoking ferals to come out to play or big uns to charge. It's also really good for misdirecting zombies. Taunt, run around a corner, saunter past the now distracted zombies. You can also cheer a fellow survivor right after they make a kill and gain extra trust with them! Whoo!

Also I'm pretty sure all the survivors are coming over to borrow my 50 Shades. :colbert:

Random screenshot.

Misdirection is way more useful than I thought (not pictured: the friendly survivor about to walk past the cop car going home):

Survey says: gently caress zombies :smithicide:

El Seven posted:

Additional Breakdown info can be found here.

Thanks! And for reminding me there was a TwitchTV thing about Breakdown the other day. Haven't watched it myself.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Feeble posted:

I tired this and it didn't work and now I am sad because I'm settled into the alamo and pissing away the excess resources I had :(. Your mod is bad and you should feel bad!
I'm joking, of course. But I'd like to know what I did wrong. Pasted the lib folder into the main directory but no dice...

:mad:

To be clear, the libs folder should be inside the folder named Game which is inside the main State of Decay directory. So it should read State of Decay\Game\libs\class3\rts\homesitelimits.win.bmd.

e: Lemme know if that still doesn't work, I could've screwed the pooch.

2nd e: The files should be ok, I think it's because I wasn't rigorous with the instructions! My bad and I feel the appropriate amount of bad.

3rd e: Awesome!

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 11, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Trustworthy posted:

^^^Hey Tommofork, thanks again for posting that, by the way.

So I was watching reading the DLC notes and watching the Twitch thing, and I'm a bit confused about the timing of the RV mechanic. What's the deal with them wanting you to find the RV so damned quickly (i.e., if you don't find it in the first hour, you'll get a dumb pop-up arrow to stamp out any sense of exploration you might have been enjoying?). And then each part will take less than an hour to fix...? What's the big rush? It takes my chef longer than an hour just to cook a tasty dinner.

OR, is this initial rush just what gets the RV fixed up enough to get it to one of the official RV waiting sites, so you can start using it as (like they confirmed) a cheap starter base?

I dunno, it just seems weird if the RV's just going to be idling around throughout most of your playthrough, with Lily in the driver's seat waiting to put pedal to the metal, while you're spending weeks looting an entire town and other assorted dicking around. I think I must be misunderstanding some aspect of their explanation about how it's all going to come together.

You're welcome. :)

I dunno why, maybe they're making the RV marker mission pop early so some players have a goal to work towards and others can ignore it if they want to. I was really surprised at how fast moving on can potentially be, unless actually getting the RV ready takes an obscene amount of resources. Maybe they expect players to blast through iterations until they find a difficulty that feels right for them, which is kinda cool. I hope that you can disable the RV marker pop up as an option so you can find it yourself if you want to.

I think they're trying to limit the urge to loot absolutely everything by limiting the amount of survivors and resources you can bring with you on the RV. They haven't found a good mechanic regarding inventory items yet so they'll let you bring everything unless they think of something in the meanwhile. At the moment they expect you dying out will reset your inventory.

They did mention high capacity automatic shotguns though! :getin: The difficulty they mentioned they've currently got it set out sounds insanely fun and they have to tone it down.

They also mentioned no new homesites though, citing how much work they are to make and technical limitations. My modding boner just went down a little.

Probably the weirdest thing I took out of the stream was how action orientated the guy playing was. Using consumables instead of jealously hoarding them just in case and never actually using them? Madness. :stare:

quote:

edit: Also they should have taken out Lily and made Alan the unkillable RV driver. :q:
:golfclap:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Reflex has to be the best combat skill in the game. The Sweep the Leg move is so drat useful. I hardly ever play Marcus anymore now that I unlocked it for Ivonne.

What is a hero? Is that just one of the survivors the player takes on the RV?

What Trustyworth said. Once they're unlocked you can start over as them. You can also start again at any difficulty level you've already unlocked.

Reflex is great. If you're about to be overwhelmed jog away and leg sweep the fastest zombies as they catch up. Blades are fun but I end up taking damage when a zombie defies the odds and survives my mad flailing. The blade leg sweep is neat but compared to the heavy weapons one it's a bit of a booby prize. Hacking multiple zombies' legs off at a time, roll away, leg sweep again. It's stupidly, brokenly, good with a bit of kiting.

But all this is irrelevant as powerhouse for suplexing zombies is clearly the best skill. :colbert: I keep meaning to fight a zombie on a cliff and see what happens when I suplex it over the edge.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It's really easy but someone already has. I'm in a rush to go but read the thread, I just noticed people are reporting problems with storage at Snyders when using the mod, not sure if it's resolved.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Feeble posted:

Also, was it hard to make that ten outpost mod? Could you do it for all of them? I'm feeling nostalgic for my lovely ranch in the country but I'm not sure if it's worth ditching the ten outpost Alamo for it. If it takes a bunch of effort on your part don't bother, it was just a question.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

This mod was never updated for the latest version, so you'd have to just learn how in the thread and do it yourself. Don't use the file OP posted.

I went ahead and made a 10 OP for all bases but after some Actual Responsible Testing I found bugs and scrapped it.

One, the same thing the other increased OP mod ran into with storage limits for the bigger bases being cut to ~30, down from ~110. Two, being unable to move into the bigger bases due to having too many outposts when clearly below their normal limit of 8. Three, finding out the big sites only have two outposts allowed for some reason. :confused:

If you want to remove the previous version of my mod, just delete homesiteslimits.win.bmd from your State of Decay\Game\libs\class3\rts

The good news is someone someone figured out how to eloquently edit the file, and be able to change the OPs, storage limits, pop requirements of homesites without it becoming a clusterfuck.

The bad news is they made it into a .exe. A few people have tried it and say it's safe. The good news of the bad news is that you can make whatever personal changes you want using the .exe. I haven't used it myself or verified it's safe to use in any way.

Here's a link to that.

Trustworthy posted:

On the bright side, when asked about new maps, they were basically like, "Uhhhh, new maps you say? Ummm, I don't think we can talk about... errrr, ummmm, maybe errrrrrr errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr well that's definitely not something that will be in the specific DLC we're here to talk about today, and that's uhhhh all we can really say about tha-NEXT QUESTION PLEASE."

So maybe hold out hope for some new (and possibly more customizable) maps and home-related content in DLC #2. :allears:

I didn't mention that while my mod boner was going down my excitement for their next DLC and their next game, without being constrained by the Xbox 360s limits, was shooting way up.

I hope they make that rideable bear joke anyway. I'd pay a buck or two for something stupidly fun like that.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Has there been any word on the possibility of increasing the size of zombie swarms? They are kind of tiny, which I would hope is just a limitation of the original Xbox release, and can be changed in the PC release?

:shrug: Dunno. I'm really hoping the Breakdown DLC does something with that as seeing five zombies strolling along on their evening horde is pretty dull. I do like when three decent sized hordes converge, but that's super rare.

Modding at the moment is really barebones.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Feeble posted:

Gave this .exe thing a test run after reading through that thread to make sure nobody was saying it was malware or anything like that. Overall it works like a charm, just paste it into the base state of decay folder and start it up. There seem to be a few minor bugs but those only happened when I cranked the outpost number past like 50 for shits and giggles. I recommend putting it at like 15 or so, which is more than enough to cover supply needs or to turn a sizable area into a zed free zone. It was also nice in that it allows you to edit the total storage space of home, so if you want the church or the alamo to be able to hold 200 of all resources go nuts. Two things to note, it doesn't change individual home, rather it changes all home of that size class. So the church and the alamo are "small," warehouse and fairgrounds are large and all the rest are medium so not as much fine tuning as you might want. It also says it can change how many guns you can store but despite me changing it a few times the .exe doesn't actually seem to change that stuff in game.

Overall, thats a pretty good mod and makes changing stuff around a breeze, I recommend it if you're interested.

Thanks for checking that out.

I made the terrible mistake of moving my base into the fairgrounds, and trying to find materials in my bugged out world to do it up combined with the long travel time to drive out, get something, return and then run from car to the resource drop off point quickly sapped my will to live.

I'm pretty burnt out at the moment. I looked at my hours played :staredog: and yeah it's time for a break, especially to have a decent break before Breakdown. At least I can definitely say it was worth it.

Wait. gently caress that, I've still got to suplex a zombie off a cliff.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

If you want an infinite zombie generator, equip all the dudes you're not currently using with shotguns, then go lure a zombie towards your guard tower. The shotgunner will never hit, but their enthusiastic firing will attract every zombie in the state.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Survivor's Compact clearly states that vehicles are only to be used for reckless joyrides that takes your one remaining non-smoking car clear to the other side of Marshall.

I developed a love of fast cars and zooming up to my objective pulling the handbrake.

Marshall's curbs are big enough to flip your cars when you do this.

I still do this.

edit: oh my god those little four door pizza deliver cars that flip from turning a corner at slightly faster than jogging speed :allears:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Feeble posted:

The non-pizza car red compacts are even better! They accelerate like nothing else and are about as durable as rice paper. So good for getting around and so crap for anything else.

Driving those cars is the equivalent of #yolo.

Yeah that watch mission is great at getting you to over extend yourself.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeeeeees especially since Undead Labs have said they'll release modding tools once the PC version settles down.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Last I heard it was end of October, but that was subject to bug testing for XBOX and bug testing/keyboard implementation for PC. That was two weeks ago when Breakdown was submitted for QA, not sure if anything new has surfaced since then.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Kasonic posted:

Is the story mode now content-complete or will Breakdown be adding more to that as well? I finally purchased this because I knew I was going to anyway, but I'm going to hold off on digging in if some of the awesome features I've heard of in Breakdown will be added to the main game.

Breakdown has no story. In fact, the vast majority of development was spent ripping the story out as the game depended on it.

Might be more story in the future dlcs, but that's iffy. They're more likely to do SOD 2.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Apparently Breakdown releases on the 29th.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-15-state-of-decay-expansion-breakdown-out-29th-november

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

LeJackal posted:

Video Tour.

This should help.

At approx 30 minutes they go to difficulty level 10. It looks amazing. :allears:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It's not really that kind of survival game, it glosses over the nitty gritty survival stuff.

I would wait for the Breakdown DLC to hit in a few days and then ask again. The game gets dramatically easier as you learn it. The DLC is adding a sandbox mode where the difficulty can be increased over time, to the point that on the hardest mode the developers measured their survival time in minutes.

And we should be getting modding tools soon so hooray.

e: that being said, the game is no WWZ. Though I think you're referring to The War Z, which became Infestation: Survivor Stories and was regarded a gigantic turd.

Although the movie WWZ wasn't great either but the book rocks so. :v:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 27, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I would also go and play the demo of Project Zomboid if you haven't already. It's again zombies but it's the quintessential huddled in the corner eating beans game, with a mode to tweak the zombies to be as smart/dumb/fast/slow/tough as you want.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

That or take them with you and let them play with a horde while you crouch in a bush giggling.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

From their pre-release info they weren't going to add new homesites due to technical reasons.

That homesite that couldn't be moved into earlier could be a site for the RV when you move and not a proper homesite.

Also, SOD continues having great bugs. My car is alive and it looks pissed.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Haha I fell for that too. After the starup movies finish playing, shift your cursor to the righthand logo which is Breakdown.

e:

E-Tank posted:

If you were slamming your face into half rotted dead things all the time, you'd be pissed off too.

Fair point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

After the intro movies finish it should say "Press space (or press A button) to play State of Decay". Flick to the right and it should say press to play Breakdown.

e: if you've hit the main menu you've gone one screen too far.

• Locked thread