Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I've been setting up all but one of my outpost slots as close in defense, then I use the last one as a rotating looter HQ. I'll pick a cluster of buildings somewhere on the map, make an outpost in the center, then loot all the adjacent buildings. Once I'm done, I close up the outpost and move it somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I really like the Savini house. It's easy to defend with one climbable fence which is right next to the gate anyway, 3 parking spots are enough if you don't run over every horde you see. The only semi-useless facility is a Library which I like to have for potent stims, so not all that useless for me. Fits 16 survivors comfortably, and honestly I don't need any more than that.

This reminds me, I need to take some of my useless survivors out to hug a horde.

Tommofork posted:

The built in workshop at Snyder is a machine shop, i.e. good. It's not a wasted slot.

Not always, I'm pretty sure its random now. Last time I settled at Snyder, I got a normal workshop.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tibeerius posted:

Once you make the decision to load up the RV and move on to the next difficulty level, you have the option to carry over approximately 5 survivors (plus Lily and your current active character).

Dunno if its different on higher levels, but the move from level 1 to 2 is 5 characters total including Lily. You get the person you're controlling, Lily, and 3 more survivors for a total of 5 population (4 playable).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Well then what the hell, my game wouldn't let me add any more than 3 people to the RV. Sucks, I had to leave behind a construction dude (picked medicine over construction for what I thought was my last spot) and now everything is taking forever to construct on level 2.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

They probably weren't in your home base or they were waiting for you to start their mission somewhere. Only survivors that aren't doing anything can be added to the RV.

I was watching the available buttons on the left side of the portrait when I was doing this. (I actually had to go check in with 2 people to get them on the RV). Maybe they were on mission and I just spaced it.

Oh well, I kinda want to go back and cheese level 1 again anyway. I'm starting to realize how awesome the mines are, I need to go set up at Snyder's and make a pile of them while its still easy to stripmine all of Marshall.

Edit: ^^^ Everyone in my camp was a friend except Lily at this point.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 3, 2013

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Haven't done it yet, but it looks like settling Kirkman first, then Snyder might be the way to go. Clear out Spencer's Mill and maybe Fairfield from Kirkman house, then move down to Snyder and clear out Marshall west to east.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Feeble posted:

Pretty sure they only take a hit to stamina...

Sick characters take a HUGE hit to stamina. My main character got sick, went from -20 to -80 stamina in about 10 minutes of looting. Staggering home with a rucksack is not a good place to be.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Feeble posted:

That's one of the things that's really starting to annoy me about Breakdown. I'm loving the gameplay thus far but could they really not get ahold of the voice actors they used for the story campaign? I've gotten the Military captain from the main game who's voice I remember being all sharp and authoritative and now she just sounds like every other female survivor.

Yeah "Do I have to? Okay...." and "Why can't everything be this easy?" in a whiny teenager voice don't sound like something that a hardened military taskmaster would say.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I don't have time today, but I want to play around with the scavenger code to see if I can get it to let you send more than one scavenger to the same building at the same time. Combined with a removed scavenger cooldown (which already works fine), you could just send X scavengers to a building at the same time to clean it out.

E: And what I _really_ want to mess around with, but probably won't work, would be replacing the 'scavenge this building' option with individual 'scavenge X resource from this building' entries. That way you don't have to collect 3 foods along with the 1 fuel you actually wanted.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 6, 2013

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

The two military characters are also useful as gently caress, but you don't have to grind for them. One is incredibly easy to get and the other just requires playing for so many hours. Either one allows you to call down artillery strikes as long as they're in your community. They're great for panic situations, especially on higher Breakdown levels. Aside from at least one of the two, and Santos, none of the heroes are really essential.

Also the military lady has two of the best weapons in the game when she spawns, the 5-durability edged weapon and a tricked out SMG.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

suboptimal posted:

So I was well near 75% of the way there to unlocking The Dealer and almost had the Cop unlocked, and logged in today to find that I now have 19/400 kills with car doors and 0/50 pistol kills. WTF?

Bruteman posted:

- We no longer zero out meds and snacks on next day and instead just subtract home population survivors feast on your achievement progress

E: This game is really frustrating because it has the potential to be one of the best games ever, but all the bugs make me not want to start playing it again.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Synnr posted:

Oh no, I understand the ammo resource thing. I had 16 people, so the -15/day doesn't even make sense with the two ammo shops. That and the previous state of 0 or -3 was really strange as well. Any idea if the radio based "locate resource" thing just generates a new thing to look for, or is it just telling you where stuff already is?

I saw it send me to a warehouse I had previously cleaned out once. I had cleaned out most of Spencer's Mill at that point, but hadn't gone into the city much, so I'm sure there were still construction materials somewhere on the map. Maybe it spawns a new thing if there are no existing things within X meters?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I uninstalled the rucksack mod because it felt like cheating. I managed to beat Breakdown 7 on a fresh start last night, completely vanilla game, no bug abuse. On lower Breakdown levels, the backpack mod is just a convenience, but on the higher levels, every time you leave your base/outpost safety bubble, you might not be coming back. Being able to load up a poo poo ton of supplies makes it way easier.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also don't try to loot every single house in Breakdown. I learned this the hard way through many restarts on Breakdown 1 because things weren't going perfect. I picked this back up again after 3 months a few days ago, and I decided to play the game instead of loot every single building on the map. Much more fun that way.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It might be cheap, but you can kill 5 ferals using cars to get The Fighter, who starts with maxed Cardio (and Fighting and Fitness Guru). Pretty much my go-to starting hero now.

E: I've never gotten a character above 5 cardio without intentionally cheesing it, which you can do by running around in circles chowing down snacks.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Have we heard updates on TU5 yet? Is it going to release with Lifeline? I want a non-hacky way to store backpacks in cars. (Backpacks and Pickups is okay, but I got tired of my Construction Materials doing their best popcorn impersonation on the way back to base.)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pander posted:

According to that link they release at the same time.

:doh: I ctrl-Fed for TU5, completely skipped over

quote:

That’s right. May 30. $6.99. If all goes well this week, you’ll be playing Lifeline (and the accompanying free Title Update, featuring Rucks in Trucks) by this weekend.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I'm thinking about getting this since it's on sale and I've had my eye on it for a while, how complete is the game now? And more importantly, how necessary is the DLC? Does it alter the base game, or just add separate modes? I'm not worried about getting it later if I like the game, as it will almost certainly be on sale again for the summer sale, but if it's important then I will probably pick it up now.

Main game's storyline is pretty weak honestly, I spent 99% of my time in Breakdown (got main game when it went on sale for Breakdown release). Breakdown is a steal for $3.50, you're already spending $10 on the main game, pick it up.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Lasher posted:

Levels 1 - 6 in Breakdown and haven't found a single assault rifle. I've got shitloads of grenade launchers and fancy LMG's and SMG's but not a single assault rifle. Ah well, maybe next round.

I found an M4 in the first 15 minutes of Breakdown 8 along with an M27 IAR. :v:

Now that we have vehicle storage, I can clear out the helicopter up north and both bridge stashes before I settle my first base.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

8bitlawd posted:

So is there a definite favorite base for breakdown? Finally booting it up on the PC after last weeks sale and I'm curious if I should beeline for the Trucking Warehouse still or if The Farm/Fairgrounds/Savinihouse/Alamo might have some hidden strengths on Breakdown.

I'm a big fan of Savini house, you can get pretty good defense at the start with 2 outposts and fuel and you can cover most of west Marshall with 6 outposts. Its location near the center of Marshall also means supply runs are quicker in general.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

They've said they fixed that bug three times in three separate patches and never actually managed to do it, but maybe the fourth time's the charm.

They still reset in Breakdown at least. I close the game with 3/4 snacks on all of my allstars plus 40+ in stash, load the next day with 4-6 in stash and none on anyone's inventory.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is Lilly Ritter not supposed to be visible in breakdown? When I establish my first home base, she's not at her radio, but she's still contacting me. Also there will be points of banter between my character and Lilly where i'll be in the base putting like a sack of meds away and I'll be having a conversation with myself because she's not in the room but the game thinks she is. I'm hoping this isn't because of mods or something.

Lily doesn't show up in the world until you join an Enclave on Breakdown 1. On Breakdown 2+, she will show up sitting in front of the RV, but about 25% of the time she will run off into the distance as soon as the game starts, never to be seen again until you settle a base.

E: Whoops didn't read your question right. She probably ran off like I was saying above. Lily doesn't have time for this RV fixing crap, shes just gonna get to the next town on her own.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kasonic posted:

Having lost three Army pickups already, I'd like to state that the car physics have totally not been toned down.

(I'm okay with this, because doing backflips because you hit an incline at the wrong angle and being pitched into a zombie horde is awesome)

I can't count how many cars I have flipped coming back into West Marshall. Try to go around the bus on the left at high speed, hit that little ramp thing that was 100% planned by the developers, end up having to book it back on foot. And yes, it certainly seems to happen more when there is a horde around.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Gooch181 posted:

Oh, drat. I had a blast with the game when it first came out on Xbox, I'm sure I'll get used to it. :(

I think that's the problem, the game was made to run on an 8 year old console and I don't think they made any high resolution/polygon assets for computers.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

The problem with Project Zomboid is that it is a directionless exercise in frustrating UI that is never, at any point, actually fun.

Seconding this. Project Zomboid is a really cool game stuck behind one of the worst loving UIs I've ever seen for a real time game. (PZ's UI would be passable if it was a turn based game.)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Just picked up this and Breakdown from the Steam sale and I'm loving it so far. Just one question though: Is there a way to rest/speed up time as an active character? My current dude is exhausted and it's the middle of the night, so I don't feel like going out.

Everyone else has given you sensible advice so let me be the first to ask: have you considered ingesting those random pills you pulled out of some guy's bathroom cabinet?

I beat Breakdown 6ish with just Amelia Crasman and a backpack full of amphetamines.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Piell posted:

[T]he Savini Residence is in the northern part of the west side of the big town at the bottom. If you want to jump straight to the best home site, it's the Snyder Trucking Warehouse on the westernmost bit of the southern town. the Savini Residence because you can only be attacked from one side and you have a prebuilt Watch Tower.

FTFY :colbert:.

Piell posted:

The four door pickup trucks are indeed the best vehicles.

Unless this got changed in the past couple weeks, the Police Cruiser has the same number of slots as the pickup. The cruiser is stupidly twitchy when backing up, but once you get the hang of it, you can do snap 180 turns with a quick reverse which is great in a lot of situations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pander posted:

Plus, with the superduty pickup it's easier for people to jump in the back than have to get to a door.

This is the drat truth right here. For a bunch of people who have survived X days past the apocalypse of the face eating dead, fuckers are goddamned incompetent at getting into a motor vehicle. Maybe its really been years and they all forgot? :iiam:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Don't worry about it. Pick up a place that you like, and if someone else tells you such and such place Savini House is better they're probably wrong absolutely 100% right.

FTFY :colbert:

Seriously though, try all the houses at least once, pretty much everything he said is correct, including the part about the Church being horrible.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

redreader posted:

IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD SEEAAAASHON

This line, more than any other in the game, is what caused me to mute voices.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Edged weapon drop rates seem really really low. I'll have 20+ 5-durability blunt weapons, a handful of 4 and 5 durability heavy weapons, and like 2 edged weapons at 3 durability or above. I've started giving all non-powerhouse characters a blunt weapon until fighting 4, then I'll move them into an edged weapon.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mountain Lightning posted:

So I was playing Lifeline and I just got possibly the most broken survivor ever. It was some spec-ops guy with maxed Cardio and fighting, decent wits and shooting... and both Powerhouse *and* reflexes. Guess who I am using for the rest of the DLC?

:(

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Even if you can't get both special moves, the passives from Reflex & Powerhouse would be amazing. Reflex gives you + stamina regen, and powerhouse gives you + chance to 1 shot a zombie, as well as letting you carry more. Having them both is pretty broken.

Give that person Combat Endurance and a machine cutting blade, then just roll and slash your way to victory over everything.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tai posted:

Started my first ever breakthrough game. Didn't even get to a green ? before getting ripped in half by some L4D hunter style zombie :welp:

Ferals are the hardest freak zombies in the game, because if you see one on foot (or sometimes even in a car, ask me about losing Amelia Crasman to bad driving and a newly missing door), you have to fight them, period. The first thing I do in Breakdown is find a car. If you're not lucky enough to spawn next to one, you go up the nearest tower and find one, then go straight there. The game gets about 100x easier if you can avoid zombies by stepping on the gas and fighting on your terms.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

The dropkick can be dangerous to use with ferals, as they will get up from it almost as fast as you do. It also won't help you if they do charge you, as you'll be faced with dodging that or die.

Another option for engaging them is the bullet time perk, which will usually allow lining up some successful headshots to put them down with.

Let the feral tackle your useless follower valued team member, run back a bit, 'accidentally' launch a grenade in their general direction. Also helps with getting the well rested perk back!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

I'd love to have Sashsquatch take over on the radio in Breakdown, I'm tired of that psychotic lupus drama queen yapping at me all day.

I love how she keeps talking poo poo even after she moves into my base and starts eating my food.

E: Whoops misread that, my point about Vienna Cho still stands though.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 14, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skandranon posted:

Not sure why it's so much better in Lifeline, but to combat the problem in Breakdown, here is what I do. Whenever you have extra influence, switch to someone you don't particularly care for, and have them grab all the bullets they can hold. Repeat. When you switch out from a hero, have them stock up full on the ammo they like. Ammo can move in and out of storage at 0 cost, so this is a great way to sequester influence, and avoid losing bullets.

They took the fame mechanic out in Lifeline. Combined with the insane amount of guns you get for looting*, its easy to get 2k+ influence by clearing out a handful of houses.

*Might be "normal" drop rates, I went from Breakdown 13 to Lifeline, so I'm used to getting like one useful item out of every house.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tehan posted:

Snyder strikes me more as some zombie-themed Bartertown instead of an actual home.

Who runs Bartertown? Lily runs Bartertown.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gently caress MMO, I just want to be able to bring a couple live people along to watch my back/kite every zombie within screaming distance/'mistake' me for a zombie and run me over. Basically what you would expect from having multiple goons on your Steam friends list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

A buddy of mine did a tabletop RPG of the zombie holocaust in our home town. I ended up rolling a 1 on my attempt to brake before getting to the army surplus store and killed half our party turning it into a drive through. I assume the real zombie apocalypse would go similarly.

• Locked thread